/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day

Pure
02-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Valentine's Day

The Festival of Love was one of the festivals of the pagan Romans, when paganism was the prevalent religion of the Romans more than seventeen centuries ago. In the pagan Roman concept, it was an expression of "spiritual love".

There were myths associated with this pagan festival of the Romans, which persisted with their Christian heirs. Among the most famous of these myths was the Roman belief that Romulus, the founder of Rome, was suckled one day by a she-wolf, which gave him strength and wisdom.

The Romans used to celebrate this event in mid-February each year with a big festival.

One of the rituals of this festival was the sacrifice of a dog and a goat. Two strong and muscular youths would daub the blood of the dog and goat onto their bodies, then they would wash the blood away with milk. After that there would be a great parade, with these two youths at its head, which would go about the streets. The two youths would have pieces of leather with which they would hit everyone who crossed their path. The Roman women would welcome these blows, because they believed that they could prevent or cure infertility.

The connection between Saint Valentine and this festival:

Saint Valentine is a name which is given to two of the ancient "martyrs" of the Christian Church. It was said that there were two of them, or that there was only one, who died in Rome as the result of the persecution of the Gothic leader Claudius, c. 296 CE. In 350 CE, a church was built in Rome on the site of the place where he died, to perpetuate his memory.

When the Romans embraced Christianity, they continued to celebrate the Feast of Love mentioned above, but they changed it from the pagan concept of "spiritual love" to another concept known as the "martyrs of love", represented by Saint Valentine who had advocated love and peace, for which cause he was martyred, according to their claims. It was also called the Feast of Lovers, and Saint Valentine was considered to be the patron saint of lovers.

One of their false beliefs connected with this festival was that the names of girls who had reached marriageable age would be written on small rolls of paper and placed in a dish on a table. Then the young men who wanted to get married would be called, and each of them would pick a piece of paper. He would put himself at the service of the girl whose name he had drawn for one year, so that they could find out about one another. Then they would get married, or they would repeat the same process again on the day of the festival in the following year.

The Christian clergy reacted against this tradition, which they considered to have a corrupting influence on the morals of young men and women. It was abolished in Italy, where it had been well-known, then it was revived in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, when in some western countries there appeared shops which sold small books called “Valentine’s books”, which contained love poems, from which the one who wanted to send a greeting to his sweetheart could choose. They also contained suggestions for writing love letters.

The above quotation is excerpted, with slight modifications, from www.Islam-qa.com

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-15-2007, 06:36 PM
^^Forget Valentines...waste of money and time...
You should show love to your loved ones everyday..

MusLiM 4 LiFe
02-15-2007, 06:38 PM
innit, why do u need a specific day to tell sum1 u love dem? its useless really.. and da present and card ting only came recently so basically its just another day 2 mess about.. :p

England
02-15-2007, 06:44 PM
You treat your girl to an expensive dinner dinner, get her a gift, expensive flowers, show her a good time :uuh: You cannot afford to take your girl out to an expensive dinner everyday or buy her expensive flowers all the time. It's a tradition and if you have children it's a great way of getting out and enjoy yourself which you cannot do all the time.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-15-2007, 06:54 PM
^^I'm sticking with what I said. Why would I want to adopt a pagan holiday. Thats changing also....:p

The Ruler
02-15-2007, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
Did everyone have a good valentine? :D

yup...sat at home, eat my fill, no annoying whatevers to share food with...no waste of money...no one i gotta impress...hell i never knew i was that free :D

:w:

Kittygyal
02-15-2007, 09:53 PM
salamualikum.
i forgot about Valentines until me NEPHEW reminded me!! grr
Ma'assalama

:D

Ubaidah
02-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Had a very nice evening, very relaxing.

H4RUN
02-15-2007, 10:00 PM
:sl:
oh my gosh, had an amazing time, bought luxury chocs [snickers] and then premium ones [ferrero rochers]:p

Went out for a exquisite dinner, 1 piece chicken and chips on the side:p...what can i say? My significant other was gob smacked:D

Just me myself and i :D, aaaaaah the joys of 'avin the whole ferrero rocher pack to myself:p

England
02-15-2007, 10:03 PM
You're all saying "what's with valentine? You should show your love, treat your partner everyday." Yet most of you if not all did squat but "relaxed." Way to back up your theory. :giggling:

Kittygyal
02-15-2007, 10:07 PM
salamualikum.
TJ you had a what time? lol
Ma'assalama

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-15-2007, 10:08 PM
I didnt relax. Im sick but i chose to be helping my mom still even though she would tell me not too lol. I relaxed alot yesterday which is why my 102 fever is off, Alhumdulillah :D

England
02-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Edited because you edited

H4RUN
02-15-2007, 10:12 PM
^
:p So u choose to treat them once a year? Good luck is all im gonna say mate:D

England
02-15-2007, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN
^
:p So u choose to treat then once a year? Good luck is all im gonna say mate:D
You managed to reply before I edited. As I said above you cannot afford to buy an expensive meal for you and your partner, expensive flowers and gifts in one day all the time. If you did that you'd be in debt.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-15-2007, 10:18 PM
But why limit it to "one day?" How do u know someone doesnt have money that particlar day. Anything can happen you know. What if someone dies that day, would you go out and party?

H4RUN
02-15-2007, 10:19 PM
^ to England
:p money isnt everything :okay: it certainly shouldn't be what makes a relationship dot dot dot

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Well I just hate it cause its a pagan thing and i dont want to follow nething like that. Anything which is not in Islam.

England
02-15-2007, 10:32 PM
You're all missing the point. I'm just sounding repetative now.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-15-2007, 10:36 PM
we get the point, but r u getting ours? :X

H4RUN
02-15-2007, 10:36 PM
[once again to England, and once again i was late in replying :D]
lol
na actually you mentioned something about pushing the boat out and spending a little on your significant other, right? left? right?

Thing is yeah u can spend, but does the money actually build your relationship? After all, you may be trying to revive the relationship on that very day...

Personally money isn't everything, you could do something interestin every now and again, not just hold your hopes on that very day, and splash out your money...

England
02-15-2007, 10:44 PM
[once again to England, and once again i was late in replying :D]
lol
na actually you mentioned something about pushing the boat out and spending a little on your significant other, right? left? right?

Thing is yeah u can spend, but does the money actually build your relationship? After all, you may be trying to revive the relationship on that very day...

Personally money isn't everything, you could do something interestin every now and again, not just hold your hopes on that very day, and splash out your money...
No-one holds hopes on that VERY day alone. People treat their partners more than that day alone BUT that day is the day where it is imperative to go out and treat your partner. It's tradition. You do get something extra that night too :D Treating your partner does build on relationships.

H4RUN
02-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Tradition tradition tradition :D and i still keep milk out for father christmas:p

i still beieve one very special day in 365 days is a bit shallow dont u think? lol

Lets say once a month sounds lot better if your worried bout the costs of things if u do it too frequently...

England
02-15-2007, 11:42 PM
A young woman was taking an afternoon nap. After she woke up, she told her husband, "I just dreamed that you gave me a pearl necklace for Valentine's Day.
What do you think it means? You'll know tonight.... he said.
That evening, the man came home with a small package and gave it to his wife. Delighted, she opened it---only to find a book entitled "The meaning of dreams".

BAHAHAHAHA :D

Pure
02-16-2007, 05:45 AM
Personally I'd rather be treated nicely everyday with little things as kind words, small little gifts, and nice things to be done here and there, rather than an amazing one day while the rest of the year is dull.

To love and be kind should be a continual gift to people everyday :)

Kittygyal
02-16-2007, 10:52 AM
salamualikum.
dudes just wana remind you that ''England'' is no muslim he's bound to celebrate valentines day so RESPECT :p
Ma'assalama

pssst england dude i got reminded from me NEPHEW it's VALENTINES DAY grrr Hmpftt:uuh:

England
02-16-2007, 11:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pure
Personally I'd rather be treated nicely everyday with little things as kind words, small little gifts, and nice things to be done here and there, rather than an amazing one day while the rest of the year is dull.

To love and be kind should be a continual gift to people everyday :)
Who says the rest of the year is "dull?" From the looks of alot of people here "relaxing" on valentines day seems "dull."

format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salamualikum.
dudes just wana remind you that ''England'' is no muslim he's bound to celebrate valentines day so RESPECT :p
Ma'assalama

pssst england dude i got reminded from me NEPHEW it's VALENTINES DAY grrr Hmpftt:uuh:
I know you keep saying lol! What's wrong with your nephew telling you it's valentines day lol?

Kittygyal
02-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Who says the rest of the year is "dull?" From the looks of alot of people here "relaxing" on valentines day seems "dull."

I know you keep saying lol! What's wrong with your nephew telling you it's valentines day lol?
Greetings,

England dude well basically me nephew is on this site so erm well me don't celebrate it erm get the message dude :p

Take care

ruhi
02-16-2007, 11:58 AM
"England" i'm sure u had a blast on valentines day........had so much of fun isn't it??

but seeing people taking about love & love everywhere made me wonder.......r they really in love? why there has to be a specific day to express your love to loved ones? it can be done anyday....anywhere....anytime.....
we dont need to show the whole world that...'look she/he is my valentine & i love her/him'

Kittygyal
02-16-2007, 12:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ruhi
"England" i'm sure u had a blast on valentines day........had so much of fun isn't it??

but seeing people taking about love & love everywhere made me wonder.......r they really in love? why there has to be a specific day to express your love to loved ones? it can be done anyday....anywhere....anytime.....
we dont need to show the whole world that...'look she/he is my valentine & i love her/him'
salamualikum.
becareful of ''anywhere'' && ''anytime'' :lol: :p

but well said ukthi, why show it on ''ONE DAY'' come on why not show it each && every day? but oh well ENGLAND good for you blud RESPECT :shade:

Ukthi he's a christain to he belives in that so RESPECT :coolalien

Ma'assalama

ruhi
02-16-2007, 12:13 PM
walaikum salam

oops!! i'm really sorry about that "anytime....anywhere"
yeah I do respect those who celebrate valentines day.......everything looks RED in colour!!!

Kittygyal
02-16-2007, 12:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ruhi
walaikum salam

oops!! i'm really sorry about that "anytime....anywhere"
yeah I do respect those who celebrate valentines day.......everything looks RED in colour!!!
salamualikum.
lol, i didn't mean to you ''respect' just a term i use like *touch blud* :D
Ma'assalama

IbnAbdulHakim
02-16-2007, 12:26 PM
:salamext:

The connection between Saint Valentine and this festival:

we'll be raised up with those we immitate/befriend :uuh:

i aint immitatin no saint valetine, imagine getting raised up with him!!!! laaaaaa!!!

England
02-16-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm not in love. This is the 1st valentine day I've not celebrated properly in a long time. I did go out but for a social drink with a gal I get on with but that's about it.

By the way, chavs use the word "respect" :shade: INNIT!

Kittygyal
02-16-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm not in love. This is the 1st valentine day I've not celebrated properly in a long time. I did go out but for a social drink with a gal I get on with but that's about it.

By the way, chavs use the word "respect" :shade: INNIT!
Greetings.

^ i don't have nothing to say about the above because when i was a christain i used to do the same but with dudes, but alhamdulillah since i came a muslim i don't do stuff like that no more, all i am going to say is you will regret later by && it's not worth it these drinking && whats so not but thats you init so RESPECT blud :shade:

what am no chav yh i say respect all the time yh!!! don't put me as a chav dude *touch* :shade:

Take care

Tania
02-16-2007, 05:23 PM
If i think twice are men which tend to neglect their wife the whole year so that this days could help them to show certain affection toward them. Even if in spring they have a little more work to do due to numerous days dedicated to women :statisfie

Siraaj
02-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Ruling on Celebrating Valentine's Day

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Salih al-`Uthaymeen

Question: In recent times, celebration of the Valentine Day has spread, particularly among female students. It is a Christian celebration, and it is (manifested) with fully red costumes, clothing and shoes, and exchange of red roses.

We hope that you make clear for us the ruling on celebrating this holiday, and what your guidance is to Muslims in matters such as these, may Allah preserve you and guard you.

Answer: In the Name of Allah the Most Merciful the Most Beneficient

As-Salamu `alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh:

Celebrating the Valentine Day is not permissible because:

Firstly, it is an innovated holiday that has no basis in the Sharee`ah.
Secondly, it calls to love and passion.
Thirdly, it calls to keeping one’s heart busy with nonsense matters which contradict the guidance of the righteous predecessors, may Allah be pleased with them.

So it is not permissible that anything from the signs of that holiday take place on that day, whether it relates to eating, drinking, clothing, giving gifts, or other than that.

It is incumbent upon the Muslim to be proud of his religion and that he does not blindly follow every crier.

I ask Allah the Exalted that He protect Muslims from every trial, apparent and hidden, and that He give them protection and guidance.

Written by Muhammad Salih al `Uthaymeen on 5/11/1420 hijree.

Note: (5th Dhul Qa`da 1420 = 11 February /2000)

H4RUN
02-16-2007, 05:35 PM
I dont recall love and passion between the partners in a permisble way to be forbiden...yeah i disagree with when to be told to go that extra mile to treat your partner, but erm take away love and passion from a sincere relationship and well i wouldnt really call it a relationship if u see where im comin' from...

England
02-16-2007, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Greetings.

^ i don't have nothing to say about the above because when i was a christain i used to do the same but with dudes, but alhamdulillah since i came a muslim i don't do stuff like that no more, all i am going to say is you will regret later by && it's not worth it these drinking && whats so not but thats you init so RESPECT blud :shade:

what am no chav yh i say respect all the time yh!!! don't put me as a chav dude *touch* :shade:

Take care
I will regret what? I won't regret being a non-muslim. The God I believe in isn't evil and will not punish anyone for celebrating a tradition such as valentines day, nor will I get punished for drinking alcohol without causing harm to others. I'll not get punished for the way I live my life without causing any harm or wrong doings to others.

I have nothing to be afraid of, I've done nothing wrong.

H4RUN
02-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Maybe this should be continued elsewhere? comparative religions...
hardly worth spoilin the luvvy duvvy's thread lol

Silver Pearl
02-16-2007, 05:57 PM
I dont recall love and passion between the partners in a permisble way to be forbiden...yeah i disagree with when to be told to go that extra mile to treat your partner, but erm take away love and passion from a sincere relationship and well i wouldnt really call it a relationship if u see where im comin' from...
:wasalamex

If you had to spend $80 or £60 on some roses that will no doubt die in two days then perhaps our tunes might change. While I don't disagree with what you're saying in a lecture I listened to few days back the Sheikh said that love and affection should be a constant thing that is expressed every day and regularly and not once a year, or once every 10 years. There are many permissible ways of expressing love and passion between partners without resulting to celebrating valentines day. And Allaah knows best.

England-You have your ways of living and we have ours, what we say will not change your ways and that is fine. Everyone will know who the liars and the truthful are on the day of judgement :).

England
02-16-2007, 06:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Silver Pearl
:wasalamex

If you had to spend $80 or £60 on some roses that will no doubt die in two days then perhaps our tunes might change. While I don't disagree with what you're saying in a lecture I listened to few days back the Sheikh said that love and affection should be a constant thing that is expressed every day and regularly and not once a year, or once every 10 years. There are many permissible ways of expressing love and passion between partners without resulting to celebrating valentines day. And Allaah knows best.

England-You have your ways of living and we have ours, what we say will not change your ways and that is fine. Everyone will know who the liars and the truthful are on the day of judgement :).
There are no liars. It's a belief. I myself don't believe we will be judged by religion but by the person we are. If you haven't committed any wrong doings in life then I believe even you will enter regardless of religion.

Muhammad
02-16-2007, 06:26 PM

The bottom line is that we as Muslims do not celebrate this day as it is not something we are taught in Islam. There is no need to have an argument over the topic.

Also, certain members are tending to go very off-topic in various threads - can you please avoid doing this before infractions must be given, Jazakallahu khayr.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.