/* */

PDA

View Full Version : THIS reminds me of THAT

SUMMAYAH
02-16-2007, 07:34 PM
I think its called 'nostalgia' or sommat like that. Basically its when you see, hear or smell something is reminds you of a particular time in your life.

Here's one of mine....

The smell of coffee reminds me of my visit to saudia.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Helena
02-16-2007, 07:49 PM
interesting thread sis...its like game..isnt it?...could be moved to the halaal thread if u want?...

erm........this smell which is unexplainable...a smell of plants, refreshing, warm,....when i first arrived to Saudi Arabia.....this smell i can feel it now....ya Allah..wish i could be there..inshAllah soon...inshAllah...

SUMMAYAH
02-16-2007, 07:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by traveler
interesting thread sis...its like game..isnt it?...could be moved to the halaal thread if u want?...

erm........this smell which is unexplainable...a smell of plants, refreshing, warm,....when i first arrived to Saudi Arabia.....this smell i can feel it now....ya Allah..wish i could be there..inshAllah soon...inshAllah...
I know what kind of smell u mean sis......everytime I sense it i want to go there 2....:'(

Kittygyal
02-16-2007, 08:14 PM
salamualikum.
o0o0o0, smell ma clothes aka bed aka room aka myself aka EVERYTHING remeinds me of me mam :(
Ma'assalama

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
02-16-2007, 08:23 PM
mmm.... when it rains (and in Britain I very rarely can smell the scent of earth) it reminds me of the time I lived in Pakistan. I love that smell.

SUMMAYAH
02-16-2007, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
mmm.... when it rains (and in Britain I very rarely can smell the scent of earth) it reminds me of the time I lived in Pakistan. I love that smell.
yeah love the smell of one of those 'matkas' that clay vessel you store water in. I feel like eating it!

tomtomsmom
02-16-2007, 08:46 PM
I love the way it smells on this little island I go to every summer. When you first wake up and the sun is just starting to rise, go stand on the beach. It always brings me peace. It reminds me of when life was simple. Back before I knew what hate and war and ugliness was. Yeah, that is the best smell ever.

Snowflake
02-16-2007, 09:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SUMMAYAH
yeah love the smell of one of those 'matkas' that clay vessel you store water in. I feel like eating it!
oh gosh.. now you're making me miss living there... sadly our houses now have cemented/chip floors.. but when we had dirt floors, I remember my aunt used to sprinkle water over it before sweeping it.. so the dust didn't fly. I can never forget that scent. And them clay matkas keep water amazingly cold on hot summer days.

The other thing I miss is cooking outdoors on a 'chulla' haha. I'll never forget one particular memory. That was when I'd sit with my aunt as she'd cook on a chulla and when she poke the burning wood, the cinders would fly into the air, burning bright against the evening sky. Majical! Then there'd be that lovely smell of burning wood... Ohhh mannnnn... I feel intoxicated just remembering it all... /(~_~)\ lol

ahhh I just remembered the fire-flies now! :'(

SUMMAYAH
02-16-2007, 09:07 PM
oh gosh.. now you're making me miss living there... sadly our houses now have cemented/chip floors.. but when we had dirt floors, I remember my aunt used to sprinkle water over it before sweeping it.. so the dust didn't fly. I can never forget that scent. And them clay matkas keep water amazingly cold on hot summer days.

The other thing I miss is cooking outdoors on a 'chulla' haha. I'll never forget one particular memory. That was when I'd sit with my aunt as she'd cook on a chulla and when she poke the burning wood, the cinders would fly into the air, burning bright against the evening sky. Majical! Then there'd be that lovely smell of burning wood... Ohhh mannnnn... I feel intoxicated just remembering it all... /(~_~)\ lol

ahhh I just remembered the fire-flies now! :'(

Now thats what I call real nostalgia......I can actually picture all those things....I need a break from this boring so called 'modern' country!
I want to go abroard and do all those thing you've described......

Khayal
02-16-2007, 09:12 PM
:sl:

The smell of flowers remind me of.........

myself..:D :p

:w:

SUMMAYAH
02-16-2007, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khayal
:sl:

The smell of flowers remind me of.........myself..:D :p

:w:
lol....

Kittygyal
02-16-2007, 09:15 PM
salamualikum.
LI reminds me of CAT/KITTIES smell :D
Ma'assalama

SUMMAYAH
02-16-2007, 09:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salamualikum.
Ma'assalama

how on earth..............

Snowflake
02-16-2007, 09:45 PM
looks like cyber cats mark their territories too :playing:

SUMMAYAH
02-16-2007, 09:48 PM
looks like cyber cats mark their territories too :playing:
lol. yeah its the only explanation.....

Muslim.sister
02-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Once, when I was in grade 7, the class went on a camp trip, and I brought along a body spray that I had just bought. The dorm smelled, so we sprayed in with the body spray the first night, and smell never left. Now whever I smell that smell, I remember walking into the dorm with my friends, and seeing the two bunkbeds.
Ahh.. the innocent days.. when there was nothing to worry about.

SUMMAYAH
02-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Yeah those were the good old days...............

Snowflake
02-16-2007, 10:15 PM
awww how sweet... :)

Helena
02-16-2007, 10:47 PM
one more thing..rain remind me of one moment....

when it rained heavily in Saudi Arabia on the last day of hajj....mashAllah never experienced this in my life....the rain was that strong, my clothing got soaked, umbrella couldn't handle it....

that day....we walked to makkah...as the coach were taking forever due to the weather...

Ya Allah.....small flood occurred that day too...water reached my knee.....my sandals swept away...walked bare feet through out the journey......

It was beautiful........rain is my fav weather anyway.....

rite now am feeling i could be in this picture, scenario again...ya Allah am longing to go there.....:'( :'( imsad

Maidah
02-16-2007, 11:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salamualikum.
Ma'assalama

Nuffin personal sis but how old are you??:rolleyes: ( at the end of the day there is a child within every person)

cihad
02-17-2007, 10:13 AM
the smell of a particular type of ciggarette reminds me of Turkey.

not that i like ciggys or anything-i hate them.
but just getting the smell reminds me of my uncle and the pazars...oh *sigh*

Snowflake
02-17-2007, 10:21 AM
U know what I find funny... it's when a member of family returns from Pakistan and opens their suitcase. I swear I can smell pakistan from their things. :lol:

SUMMAYAH
02-17-2007, 12:03 PM
U know what I find funny... it's when a member of family returns from Pakistan and opens their suitcase. I swear I can smell pakistan from their things. :lol:

Yeah thats so true sis. And you could smell the country in the clothes they bring back for you........

Kittygyal
02-17-2007, 12:28 PM
salamualikum.

Ice~Queen siggy reminds me of Al-Akhirah :cry:

Ma'assalama

SUMMAYAH
04-17-2007, 04:55 PM
When I listen to the 'ya tayba' nasheed it reminds me of when I went on Hajj.

Everywhere we went it used to be on.....:)

Snowflake
04-17-2007, 11:42 PM
awwww mashaAllah you're so lucky you've been to Hajj sis :)

I don't know when my time will come :cry:

snakelegs
04-17-2007, 11:56 PM
this is one of the things i love about music. when i am travelling, i can bond a certain piece of music to a certain land. then when i hear the piece i can see the landscape there again so clearly and more than just that. i think it works much better for me than taking pictures would.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.