/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Not About Music

brother_rk
02-16-2007, 11:57 PM
:sl:

As the subject states, this thread is not about the legality of music itself - this subject is pretty pointless to paddle back and forth about. It's been done.

What I would like to get your view on is this:

I enjoy music. I always have. But now that I'm trying my best to become more practicing InshAllah, I am doing my best to turn away from what is forbidden (even the smaller things). However, I do have an attachment to music (I know this is dunya related, so no need to remind me on this :)), but I have switched to music that is positive and reminds me of what is good InshAllah. Also, I am trying my best to cut down to how much I listen to. And may Allah (SWT) increase my efforts. Ameen.

I've done a bit of research on the subject and have found many strong arguments for and against listening to music (with instruments). Some are strongly for and some strongly against. Both sides of the argument are supported by learned and respected scholars. So to which side do I follow?

Giving up music right now is very tough for me (you might not understand why, but this is just one of my own personal battles). So do I stuggle in cutting out music completely from my life despite changing what and how often I listen to, considering that it is permissable to some scholars? Or do I struggle and follow the other scholars who say it's 7aram?

Like I said, this isn't about music, so there's no need for us to get into that. This question could be applied to almost any subject of contraversy...

Does a person follow side A of the 3ulamah who permit the action and take the easy route (considering that Islam is a religion of ease), or does the person follow side B prohibitting the action and struggle?

Please let's keep in mind that I'm talking about the smaller issues and definately not the bigger ones at all which are crystal-clear in their evidences.

I'm smack in the middle right now, so it would be good to get your ideas on the subject. Just another reminder, this isn't about the music, it's about which side to pick when it comes to subjects of this nature.

Jazakum Allah Khair for whatever you can contribute to this discussion.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
02-17-2007, 10:11 AM

To the best of my knowledge, music is considered haram by the vast majority of scholars (including the four imams and the prophets companions!) who also have much stronger evidence for their claim. So the split isn't 50-50, as you might think.

About what to take- the righteous Muslims amongst the early generations used to avoid even the halal things for fear of falling into haram- subhanallah! Which is why I would suggest, generally, it is better to take the safe side and not do the act if some scholars consider it haram.

But that depends on the strength of the arguments I would say... it they truly are 50-50 as you say.

England
02-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Progressive Trance... you cannot beat it! It gives you a feel good factor, it gives you more energy.

snakelegs
02-18-2007, 03:13 AM
i didn't vote cuz i'm not muslim. but that doesn't mean i can't stick my nose in here.
i will never believe that qawwali is sinful.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
siFilam
02-18-2007, 04:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by brother_rk
Does a person follow side A of the 3ulamah who permit the action and take the easy route (considering that Islam is a religion of ease), or does the person follow side B prohibitting the action and struggle?
MashaAllah bro, it’s good to hear that at least you are trying. There is nothing more sweeter than struggling for the sake of Allah, The Most Merciful. It may be taste bitter now but eventually it will bring more peace from Him. When I started practicing, music was one of the things I decided to give up. Mainly because most of the scholars rule against it and the music content were completely unIslamic. Most of the stuff I was listening to was about relationship, the opposite gender, life etc. basically listening to this stuff did nothing to increase my Iman instead it did the opposite. I’m trying to get someone in my family to stop listening as well. Instead of completely cutting music off, I introduced them to Islamic Nasheed (without instrument). Also I will make Du’a that Allah, The Most Forgiving, guides us and helps us to struggle in His path. With His help, Inshallah gradually you can make progress.
-SI-

brother_rk
02-18-2007, 05:25 AM

I'm glad to see everyone participating in this discussion and thank you all for voting, but I would like to remind everyone that again... this is not about music. Music was just my example. The argument was about which side to follow in times of contraversy... so InshAllah we can stay on topic :)

May Allah (SWT) reward you all for your efforts :)

Silver Pearl
02-18-2007, 10:15 AM
:wasalamex

Please people stay on-topic, the thread starter mentioned nothing about Music but merely used it as an example. Also look at the thread title, all off-topic posts have been deleted. zAk's post is a good example of a on-topic post, he is answering the question being addressed.

Jazakallaah khayr for you cooperation.

Malaikah
02-19-2007, 12:53 AM
^You're going off-topic, just check out this thread:
http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...ous-about.html

chacha_jalebi
02-19-2007, 10:01 PM
if you doubt somethin, leave it :D

thats gona keep u on siratul mustaqeem

gladTidings
02-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Assalamualikum wr wb.

Good thread mashAllah.

^ Bro IbnAbdulHakim, as the brother mentioned, music is not actually the topic of the thread but its an example. (Although probably not the best of examples).

Im sure theres many other examples that can fit into the same type of scenario. And I have had to face such situations myself. I think the point is that islam should not be a 'pick and mix' religion, where you settle with the opinions that suit you the most.

I voted for 'Against' as struggling is what builds up our imaan. If not struggling to refrain from sin, then struggling to better ourselves in adopting the sunnah and then voluntary acts of worship. No matter what level of imaan you are at, you will always have to struggle to do better... hence why jihad un nafs has been given such a status.

Also the hadiths that bro zAk has provided pretty much sums up the way in which to deal with these situations. JazakAllah Khair

Assalamualikum wr wb.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-19-2007, 10:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
if you doubt somethin, leave it :D

thats gona keep u on siratul mustaqeem
agreed (that triangle tripple dot thing that means "therefore") im against!

Hemoo
02-28-2007, 11:00 AM
well i will say that you obey Allah (Aza Wa Galla) and his messenger (pease be upon him) so if you know that something the prophet muhammad (sala allah alyh wa salam) has forbidden us to do so thats it.
because every one can be wrong
but the prophet is the only one who can't be wrong

so take this hadeeth as an example

in the authentic sahih bukhary :

Allah's Apostle said, "Cut the moustaches short and leave the beard (as it is)."

so that is the prophet saying not any one else and so obey Abo alkasem

IceQueen~
02-28-2007, 11:00 AM
"The servant will not acquire the status of the Muttaqun until he abandons what harmless for fear of falling into that which is harmful."
Tirmidhi

In the quran Allah says that whoever fears Him, He will make a way out for him from every hardship...Insha Allah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.