/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ruling of Milad-un-Nabi

abhisham
04-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Celebrating the Prophet’s Birthday (s)

Muhammad bin Saalih al ‘Uthaimeen

[jusify]A nice colorful flyer discussing the celebration of the birth of the Prophet Muhammad (r). Feel free to download and distribute for free.

To download CLICK HERE. You will need Winzip and Acrobat Reader. The following is the text of the article…

The eminent scholar Muhammad Salih bin Uthaimeen was asked concerning the celebration of the birthday of the Messenger of Allah (s), to which he responded:

To begin with, the exact day of birth of the Messenger of Allah (s) is not known with certainty. Rather, some contemporary researchers have confirmed that he died on the 9th of Rabee’ al-Awal and not the 12th (as is commonly believed), and thus there is no historical basis for specifying the 12th for celebration.

Furthermore, this celebration has no basis in the religious point of view, since if it was legislated, the Prophet (s) would have performed it or informed his nation to do so. If he had performed it or informed his nation to do so, it would be necessary for it to have been preserved, since Allah says:

Verily It is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (i.e. the Remembrance of the Qur`an) and surely, We will guard and preserve it (from corruption).” (al-Hijr: 9)

Since this was not narrated, we come to know that it is not from the religion of Allah. If it is not from the religion of Allah, then it is not allowed for us to worship Allah and seek to come close to Him in this manner. If Allah has made a particular path for us to follow to reach Him (and His pleasure), which is the path of the Messenger of Allah (s), how can it be permissible for us, while we are only slaves, to make another path which leads to Allah’s Pleasure from our own selves (and not revealed)? Indeed it is a great transgression against the right of Allah to legislate in His religion that which is not part of it. Moreover, this entails a denial of what Allah said in the Qur`an:

"This day I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favor upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion” (al- Ma`idah: 3)

If this celebration was from the Perfection of the Religion, it must have been in existence before the death of the Messenger of Allah (s). If it is not from the Perfection of the Religion, then it is not possible that it be from the religion, since Allah said: “This day I have perfected your religion for you.” Whoever claims that it is from the Perfection of the Religion which occurred after the death of the Messenger of Allah (s), then his claim amounts to a denial of this verse of the Qur`an. Without doubt those who celebrate the birthday of the Messenger of Allah (s), only desire to magnify, extol and praise the Messenger (s), show their love for him, and increase their enthusiasm to bring out their feelings in this celebration for the Prophet (s). All of this is a form of worship. The love of the Messenger (s) is a worship that is necessary for faith, since one’s faith is not complete until he loves the Messenger (s) more than his own self, his son, his father, and all of humanity. Magnification, exaltation and praise of the Messenger of Allah (s) for Allah’s sake is an act of worship and is from the religion, as is enthusiasm for the Messenger of Allah (s), since they draw one closer to Allah’s religion.

Thus it follows that celebration of the birthday of the Prophet (s) in order to draw near to Allah and to extol His Messenger (s) is regarded as an act of worship, and since it is an act of worship then it is never allowed to innovate anything new in religion which is not of it. Therefore, the celebration of the birthday is an innovation and prohibited. Also, we hear various reports that these celebrations contain many unlawful acts, which neither the religion, one’s senses, nor any reasonable intelligence deem permissible. They sing rhymes and poems which go to extremes in respect to the Messenger (s), so much so that they make him greater than Allah, and refuge is sought in Allah. We also hear about the foolishness of some of the participants, that when an orator tells the story of his birth and reaches the part of his delivery, they all stand up in attention together saying and believing that the soul and spirit of the Messenger of Allah (s), has appeared among them manifest, and that they stand out of respect. This is extreme folly and absurd superstition. Moreover, it is not mannerly to stand up for the Messenger of Allah (s) since he used to dislike that. The Sahaabah, who loved and extolled the Messenger (s) more than anyone else, would not stand for him while he was alive due to his hate for it, so how foolish is this baseless superstition?

The celebration of the birthday of the Messenger of Allah (s) is a blatant innovation which never occurred until after the three righteous generations following the death of the Messenger of Allah (s), and it is full of undesired and wicked things which oppose the basis of the religion of Islam, moreover the mixing and integration of men and women together in one area and many other objectionable acts.

[Reference: Majmoo‘ah Fataawaa, Muhammad bin Salih al-Uthaimeen vol. 2/ p.297-300]
www.islamhouse.com[/justify]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-18-2005, 07:02 PM
oh the other was a messed up one? Inshallah ill read this article now:)

Uthman
04-19-2005, 06:26 PM
:sl:

Very informative. :) Jazakallah khair for sharing. :)

:w:

S_87
04-19-2005, 08:50 PM
and also (sameish) fatwa by sheikh saleh al fawzan if anyone wants :)

http://63.175.194.25/topics/muled/mu...ozan_eng.shtml

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
DiAmOnD
04-24-2005, 11:47 AM
about two yrs ago now one of my friends we fasting because it was the prophets b-day, i was shocked coz i neva heard that before so i asked another friend of mine and she said that it was haram, so since then i forgot about the whole thing and i just left it coz i was confused :confused: but im hoping you guys can help me, im lost :confused:
so what are we to do on the prophet muhamad's (s.a.w) b-day?

Mu'maneen
04-24-2005, 11:19 PM

Mashah'Allah. Excellent answers were given. Jazakum Allah Kher.

--------------------

Vist my new Islamic Site:
http://hstrial-besmail.homestead.com/islam.html

S_87
04-26-2005, 10:43 AM
unfortunately to say it is practised quite a bit in my area :(

S_87
04-26-2005, 11:09 AM
yup zAk here too
i see the women all dress up in bright bright bright clothes like they are going to some wedding or something :(
i went onto this site and they accuse sheikh ul islam ibn taymiya to be the `first person to REJECT` the celebration

but if we look at it..celebrating birthdays comes from paganism ..they did some funny things that some people now take as celebration
and we as muslims are supposed to do the opposite of these pagans <_< not follow them!

Uthman
04-26-2005, 04:09 PM

Anyway, in Islam, whenever there is doubt then we avoid it all together, don't we?

Mali Princess
07-17-2005, 08:27 PM
:w: dear :brother: and :sister:

Q: Does celebrating the birthday of Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, have any evidence from the Qur'an and Sunnah?

A7med
07-17-2005, 08:31 PM
not that i know off

Ansar Al-'Adl
07-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Threads merged.

A7med
07-17-2005, 08:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
n here, phew ! toooooo much !
n moreover they call it Eid e milad !

Eid ?? :omg:
:omg: :omg: EID!!!!!! :omg:

Mali Princess
07-17-2005, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Threads merged.
:sl: i see, thanks anyway i'm know to this sit.

khurm
01-31-2006, 09:51 PM
:w: the Allah (s.w.t) says in the Quran that o you who believe obey Allah and obey his Messenger (s.a.w) render not vain your deeds. About Eid Milad UN nabi ,Eid Milad UN nabi is not allowed in Islam did the prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) do Eid Milad UN nabi when he was alive? No he did not do it. Did any of the companions of the prophet (sa.w) do Eid Milad UN nabi? No they did not do it so why should we do it

Abu bakr as siddiq the most beloved person from the companions to the prophet, and he was the first man to accept ISLAM. The prophet said about Abu bakr radia’llahu anhu that if he choose a best friend from the companions it would be Abu bakr as siddiq radia’llahu anhu. Did Abu bakr radia’llahu anhu do Eid Milad UN nabi and he was a khalifa after the prophet (s.a.w) passed away. Did he do Eid Milad UN nabi? No he did not do Eid Milad UN nabi
Did any of the other companions of the prophet do Eid Milad UN nabi? No they did not do Eid Milad Un nabi.

But why is Eid Milad Un nabi called an EID because they are only two EIDS in ISLAM and they are called EID UL FITR AND EID UL ADHA where does the third Eid come from. If the prophet (s.a.w) did not tell us about it where does it come from it does not say anything in the QURAN about celebrating the prophet (s.a.w) birthday. The hadith of the prophet (s.a.w) do not say that you to celebrate the prophets (s.a.w) birthday. If the prophet (s.a.w) did not tell us to celebrate his birthday and the companions of the prophet did not tell us to celebrate it why do you celebrate it then?

This Eid Milad Un Nabi Started After 400 years After The Death Of The Prophet (s.a.w) This Eid Milad UN Nabi Started After 400 Years.
But Still There Are More Scholars Still Alive In Saudi Arabia Why Don’t They Do Eid Milad UN Nabi Why? They Are Scholars In Islam Like Sheikh IMAM KABA Sheikh ABDUL RAHMAN Al AZIZ AS SUDAYS HE Is IMAM KABAH WHY DOES HE NOT CELEBRATE EID MILAD UN NABI? Because the prophet never told us to do it and it does not say in the QURAN to do it. The Companions of the prophet (s.a.w) did not do Eid Milad UN Nabi. WHY should we do it?
Allah says in the Quran that
O you who believe believe in ALLAH and believe in his Messenger Muhammad s.a.w and render not vain your deeds
:w: :happy:

akulion
01-31-2006, 11:18 PM
Bro insha'Allah in the title of your posts say what the article is about

Because when you write "salam" or "salam alaikum" that usually means an intro post

:)

Tilmeez
02-01-2006, 02:11 PM
:sl: :brother:s n :sister:s

It is not permissible to celebrate the birthday of the Apostle (May the blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), or somebody else. In fact, it must be stopped, as it is an innovation in the religion. The Apostle of Allah (Peace be upon him - PBUH) neither celebrated it, nor commanded others to do this for himself or for any one who died before him amongst the Prophets, for his daughters his wives, or his other relatives.

The rightly guided Caliphs, the Companions of the Prophet or the successors who rightly followed them did not celebrate this event, nor did any one of the Muslim scholars in the centuries before. They knew the Sunnah of the Prophet best, they loved him more, and followed the Shari'a better than those who came after them. If celebrating his birthday was a good deed, they would have done it.

We are commanded to follow and forbidden to innovate. This is because of the perfection of the Islamic religion, the sufficiency of what Allah and His Messenger (PBUH) have given us and what was accepted by Ahl-al-Sunna wal-jama'at (the Muslim community of the Companions and those who followed them in the best way).

It is related to the Prophet (PBUH) that he said: "He who innovates something in this matter of ours that is not of it, will have it rejected." (Transmitted by Al-Bukhari and Muslim). According to Muslim who reported: "Whoever does an act which is not in agreement with our matter, will have it rejected." In another tradition the Prophet (PBUH) said: "You must keep to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly-guided Caliphs, cling to it firmly... Beware of newly invented matters, for every new matter is an innovation and every innovation is misleading."

He (PBUH) used to say in every Friday sermon: "The best discourse is the Book of Allah and the best guidance is the guidance of Muhammad the Apostle of Allah, and the worst matter is that of innovation and every innovation is misleading. Thus, these traditions contain a strong caution against innovations and a warning that such an act is a deviation from the right course." The Prophet (PBUH) warned the people of the gravity of these innovations and of their bad consequences. There are many traditions adduced in this connection.

And the Almighty has said: "...And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad) gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain ( from it).." (S.59 A.7)

Allah, Most High said: "And let those who oppose the Messenger's commandment (i.e. his sunnah: legal way, orders, acts of worship, statements, etc.), (from among the sects) beware, lest some Fitnah (disbelief, trials, afflictions, earthquakes, killing, overpowered by a tyrant, etc.) befall them of a painful torment be inflicted on them." (S.24 A.63)

Allah, the Almighty said: "Indeed in the Messenger of Allah (Muhammad) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes in (the Meeting with) Allah and the Last Day and remembers Allah much." (S.33 A.21)

And Allah the Almighty said: "And the first to embrace Islam of the Muhajiroon (those who migrated from Makka to al-Madina) and the Ansar (the citizens of al-Madina who helped and gave aid to the Muhajiroon) and also who followed them exactly (in Faith), Allah is well-pleased with them as they are well-pleased with Him. He has prepared for them Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise), to dwell therein forever. That is the supreme success." (S.9 A.100)

And Allah, the Almighty said: "This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion." (S.5 A.3). This verse decisively indicates that the Almighty Allah has completed the religion for this Ummah, and has showered His blessings on them.

His Prophet (PBUH) passed away only after he had imparted the complete message of Allah to the Ummah as well as His legislations concerning sayings and deeds. He also stressed that all things invented by people and then attributed to the religion of Islam are innovations and to be rejected, even if their inventors did so in good faith.

It is established that the Companions of the Prophet (PBUH) and the righteous successors after them warned the people against innovations as they add to Islam and legislate what is not permitted by Allah, in line with the enemies of Allah such as the Jews and the Christians who added to their religion and innovated what was not allowed by Allah.

Moreover, to admit innovation in Islam is to describe it as incomplete and imperfect. Such a belief is not only an evil but contradicts the following verse: "This day, I have perfected your religion for you...." and the sayings of the Prophet (PBUH) which warn us against innovations.

To celebrate the anniversary of the birth of Prophet (PBUH) and the others, means that the Religion is not perfected by Allah (the Glorious, the Almighty) for this Ummah, and the Apostle did not impart to the people what was necessary regarding their religious duties, till these late ones appeared and invented in the religion what is not permitted by Allah, thinking that this would bring them nearer to Allah.

Undoubtedly, this is a great danger and is tantamount to criticizing Allah the Almighty and the Prophet (PBUH): whereas Allah the Almighty has already completed the religion and perfected His grace, and the Prophet (PBUH) has conveyed the message openly and informed the Ummah of all such ways that will lead them to the Paradise and save them from Hell-fire.

According to an authentic Hadith, on the authority of Abdullah bin Amr bin Al-As the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: "Allah Ta'ala (the Almighty) did not send a prophet but obliged him to lead his people to the best way which is known to him, and warn them against the worst which is known to him. (Transmitted by Muslim).

It is well-known that our Prophet (PBUH) is the best of all the Prophets, the last and the most perfect of them regarding the way he conveyed the message and advised his people. Had the celebration of Milaad been an act of religion chosen by Allah for His servants, the Prophet (PBUH) would have either explained that to his people, would have celebrated it during his life, or his Companions would have done it.

As these did not happen, it becomes clear that Islam has no concern with Milaad. On the contrary, it is one of the innovations against which the Prophet (PBUH) has warned his people as mentioned earlier. A host of scholars have not only rejected the celebration of Milaad but have warned against it in view of the evidences given above.

According to the rule of the Islamic Shari'a all matters regarding legalization or prohibition and all disputes among the people, should be referred to the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (PBUH) in line with the saying of Allah:

A. "O you who believe! Obey Allah and obey the Messenger (Muhammad ), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority, (and) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger (PBUH) if you believe in Allah and in the Last Day. That is better and more suitable for final determination." (S.4 A.59)

B. "And in whatsoever you differ, the decision thereof is with Allah (He is the Ruling Judge)." (S.42 A.10)

Referring this issue back to the Book of Allah, we find it ordaining upon us to follow the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) in his commandments and warning us against what ever he prohibits. Furthermore it tells us that Allah has perfected the religion for the people. So, as long as Milaad is not among the teachings of the Prophet (PBUH), it cannot be a part of the religion which Allah has perfected for us and asked us to adhere to by following the Prophet (PBUH).

Again when we refer this issue back to the Sunnah, of the Messenger of Allah , we do not find either the Prophet (PBUH) or the Companions doing it by themselves or asking others to do it. So it becomes evident that Milaad is not a part of religion, rather one of innovations and blind imitation of the people of the book, i. e. the Jews and the Christians in their festivals. With this argument in mind, it becomes crystal clear for everyone having the least insight and inclination towards truth and justice, that celebrating any birthday has nothing to do with Islam. It is rather among the innovations which Allah and His Messenger warned against emphatically.

A wise man must not be deceived by seeing a large number of people doing it throughout the world because the truth is known and recognized by the evidences of Shari'a and not by the acts of a great number of people. Allah Ta'ala (the Almighty) says regarding the Jews and the Christians: "And they say, 'None shall enter Paradise unless he be a Jew or a Christian.' These are their own desires. Say (Muhammad) 'Produce your proof if you are truthful.' " (S.2 A.111)

And the Almighty also said: "And if you obey most of those on earth, they will mislead you far away from Allah's Path. They follow nothing but conjectures, and they do nothing but lie." (S.6 A.116)

Most of these innovations, in addition to their innovatory nature, also do not usually escape from a number of other evils, such as mixed gatherings of men and women, songs accompanied by musical instruments. drinking intoxicants, narcotics and the like. They may also involve the worst thing i. e. the greatest Shirk (polytheism), through showing exaggeration in the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) and other saints and through praying to him, invoking his help or believing that he knows what is hidden and all similar claims which render a believer as an infidel.

It is authentically reported that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) has said: "Beware of extravagance in the Religion: It has caused the people before you to perish." He also said: "Do not lavish praise on me as the Christians did with the son of Maryam (Jesus, the son of Mary) . I am just a bondman. So Simply say: The bondman of Allah and His Messenger." (Transmitted by Bukhari)

It is curious to note that a great many people participate most actively in these celebrations and defend them vehemently, while they sit back from attending the obligatory forms of worship such as daily and Friday prayers. They are not even ashamed of this, nor do they realize that they are committing a great evil. Undoubtedly, this shows the weakness of their faith, their short-sightedness, and the deeply ingrained rust on their hearts because of sins and disobedience. We ask Allah's protection for us and for all the Muslims.

It is even more astonishing to note that some people believe that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) is present at Milaad. Consequently they stand to greet and welcome him. That is not only a sheer lie but a worst form of ignorance, as the Prophet (PBUH) shall neither come out of his grave before the Day of Resurrection, nor shall he meet the people or attend their meetings. Instead, he shall remain in his grave till the Day of Resurrection while his soul rests at the highest of the high with his Lord in the most exalted and highest place.

Allah Ta'ala (The Almighty) says: "After that, surely, you will die. Then (again), you will be ressurrected on the Day of Ressurection." (S.23 A.15 & A.16). And the Prophet (PBUH) said: "I am the first one to rise from the grave on the Day of Resurrection and I will be the first intercessor and the first one whose intercession is to be accepted".

The aforesaid evidences from the Qur'an and Hadith prove beyond doubt that the dead people will come out of their graves only on the Day of Resurrection. All the scholars of Islam agree upon this. A Muslim should be aware of these things and must not be easily misled by the innovations and the superstitions created by the ignorant people with no authority from Allah at all.

As for offering the blessings and greetings (Salat and Salam) to the Prophet (PBUH), they are among the most preferred and virtuous deeds in accordance with the saying of Allah: "Allah sends His Salat (Graces, Honours, Blessings, Mercy, etc.) on the Prophet (Muhammad) and also His angels too (ask Allah to bless and forgive him). O you who Believe! Send you Salat on (ask Allah to bless) him (Muhammad), and (you should) greet (salute) him with the Islamic way of greeting (salutation i.e. As-Salaamu-Alaikum)." (S.33 A.56)

The Prophet (PBUH) has said: "Whosoever sends blessings on me one time, Allah sends blessings on him ten times." It is prescribed on all times, particularly at the end of each prayer. It is held obligatory at last Tashahud of each prayer by most of the scholars. It is strongly required at a number of occasions such as immediately after Adhaan (the call to Prayers), at the mention of the name of the Prophet , during the day of Friday and the night preceding it according to a host of Ahadith.

This is what I wanted to emphasize regarding this issue. I hope it will satisfy everyone whom Allah has shown the light. How sad it is to see some devoted Muslims, known for their strength of faith and love for the Prophet (PBUH) organizing such innovatory celebrations.

Let us ask such people: "Tell us, if you belong to Ahl-as-Sunna and follow the Prophet , whether he himself or one of his Companions or their successors did this or is it no more than a blind following of the enemies of Islam from among the Jews and the Christians and the like?

The love of the Prophet (PBUH) is not reflected by the celebration on his birthday, but by obeying him, believing in his teachings, keeping away from what he prohibited and by worshipping Allah in the way he prescribed for us. It is also reflected through offering Salat and Salam to him from time to time, particularly at the mention of his name and during prayers.

May Allah help us and all the Muslims to understand His religion, to continually confirm us on it, stick to Sunnah and keep away from the innovation. Indeed He is Generous and Kind. And May Allah Shower His blessings and mercy upon our Prophet Muhammad, his Posterity and his Companions.

[Summarized from an article by late Shaikh `Abdul `Aziz bin `Abdullaah bin Baaz (May Allah have mercy on him)

mizan_aliashraf
02-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Salam
Jazakallah Khayr for the reminder
Its very important that we remember to stick to the sunnah and beware of innovation.
wassalam

papa_smurf
02-01-2006, 05:40 PM
its pathetic how our muslim brothers and sisters celebrate prophets birthday. We need to teach our youngsters the principles of deen

DaSangarTalib
02-01-2006, 05:50 PM

Jazka'Allah khair for sharin this :)

M H Kahn
02-14-2006, 04:40 PM
What about milad festival in which a Maulvi and a number of ordinary Muslims are gathered by offering food to recite various poems praising the Prophet(pbuh) and chanting Salat and Salam in chorus at different points of the poem?

shanu
02-15-2006, 06:31 AM
Thanks 4 this lovely article.
Many muslims in india do this, they call it Nabi din, or Nabi dinam! I dont celebrate this thank god!
But i have a question
As for offering the blessings and greetings (Salat and Salam) to the Prophet (PBUH), they are among the most preferred and virtuous deeds in accordance with the saying of Allah: "Allah sends His Salat (Graces, Honours, Blessings, Mercy, etc.) on the Prophet (Muhammad) and also His angels too (ask Allah to bless and forgive him). O you who Believe! Send you Salat on (ask Allah to bless) him (Muhammad), and (you should) greet (salute) him with the Islamic way of greeting (salutation i.e. As-Salaamu-Alaikum)." (S.33 A.56) ]
I say this salat or salam
Allah humma salli ala muhammad-u wa ala alee alfa alfa mar'a
Rasulullah has said : "The one who recites this Durood a thousand times on a Friday will not leave this world, till he sees his abode in Jannah
u can check this out in dis website
http://www.islam.co.za/khanka/durood.htm

Is this da salam n salaat ur referring to? Is it sunnah if i say this?? Is this permissable, im just frightened i may be doing smtg wrong. I may have written it wid sm spelling mistakes, u can hear da audio of it in dat website, just scroll down. Please help me

M H Kahn
02-15-2006, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shanu
Thanks 4 this lovely article.
Many muslims in india do this, they call it Nabi din, or Nabi dinam! I dont celebrate this thank god!
But i have a question
I say this salat or salam
Allah humma salli ala muhammad-u wa ala alee alfa alfa mar'a
Rasulullah has said : "The one who recites this Durood a thousand times on a Friday will not leave this world, till he sees his abode in Jannah
u can check this out in dis website
http://www.islam.co.za/khanka/durood.htm
Is this da salam n salaat ur referring to? Is it sunnah if i say this?? Is this permissable, im just frightened i may be doing smtg wrong. I may have written it wid sm spelling mistakes, u can hear da audio of it in dat website, just scroll down. Please help me
It is Allah's order in the Quran to the mankind to pray for the welfare of the Prophet (pbuh). This prayer is called 'DURUD' or salam or salat; and the best and only authentic 'DURUD' is the one we say in salah. It is Muslims' duty to pray for the Prophet(pbuh) through 'DURUD' for satisfaction of Allah only. Seeking the Prophet's satisfaction will be a great shirk.We here comply with the order of Allah and expect reward from Him only, which He best knows. We must not expect any worldly gains in exchange of 'DURUD' except Allah's satisfaction. It is my opinion that we should not pray through any other man-made 'DURUD' except that the Prophet (pbuh) has taught us, that is, the one we say in salah. Man-made other DURUDS contain unauthentic qualifications assigned to Prophet (pbuh). The meaning of the one you've mentioned is:"O Sustainer, shower salaat and salaam forever and ever upon Your beloved, who is the best of all creation." Has Allah anywhere said that Muhammed (pbuh) is the best of the creation? This is an unauthentic exaggeration by misconceived scholars. Whether he is the best is known only to Allah. If you ask these scholars, they will say it is their Qias. But Qias is to be done to solve a problem, not to create problem like the one mentioned by you. I never imitate any dua composed by men other than the Prophet(pbuh) himself or those mentioned in the Quran. I also do not say any dua without knowing the meaning. Unauthentic exaggeration is tantamount to adding something new to the Deen which Allah has declared as complete.

May Allah guide us in the straight path !

:hiding:

Tilmeez
02-16-2006, 10:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 184589
It is Allah's order in the Quran to the mankind to pray for the welfare of the Prophet (pbuh). This prayer is called 'DURUD' or salam or salat; and the best and only authentic 'DURUD' is the one we say in salah. It is Muslims' duty to pray for the Prophet(pbuh) through 'DURUD' for satisfaction of Allah only. Seeking the Prophet's satisfaction will be a great shirk.We here comply with the order of Allah and expect reward from Him only, which He best knows. We must not expect any worldly gains in exchange of 'DURUD' except Allah's satisfaction. It is my opinion that we should not pray through any other man-made 'DURUD' except that the Prophet (pbuh) has taught us, that is, the one we say in salah. Man-made other DURUDS contain unauthentic qualifications assigned to Prophet (pbuh). The meaning of the one you've mentioned is:"O Sustainer, shower salaat and salaam forever and ever upon Your beloved, who is the best of all creation." Has Allah anywhere said that Muhammed (pbuh) is the best of the creation? This is an unauthentic exaggeration by misconceived scholars. Whether he is the best is known only to Allah. If you ask these scholars, they will say it is their Qias. But Qias is to be done to solve a problem, not to create problem like the one mentioned by you. I never imitate any dua composed by men other than the Prophet(pbuh) himself or those mentioned in the Quran. I also do not say any dua without knowing the meaning. Unauthentic exaggeration is tantamount to adding something new to the Deen which Allah has declared as complete.

May Allah guide us in the straight path !

:hiding:
Agreed!!! there is a hadith of Prophet (SaW) that the best durud is Durud e Ibrahimi.

M H Kahn
02-18-2006, 10:24 AM
In man-made duruds, you will find many unauthentic qualifications assigned to our beloved Prophet(pbuh) like the ones as follows:

*** leader of the this world and the hereafter;
*** the best of Allah's creation;
*** the light of the world;
*** the intercessor of the mankind in the Hereafter;
*** the light of God;
*** the leader of the prophets;
*** the best of the prophets and so on.

None of these qualifications are supported by the Quran or by any authentic Hadith.

boriqee
02-19-2006, 01:48 AM
right brothers, agreed.

however, the defender of this practice who took to knowledge based arguements will come with an arguement that needs to be looked at as well. That is that they hold that bida, as defined by the majority of ahlu-sunnah and among us is what is not the actual stance of what their Imaams viewed as bida.

basically speaking, they beleive that our understanding of the concept of how bida is understood is to exclusive and goes against what their imaams viewed to be what bida contained therein, depsite the super numerous authentic athaar of many of the Imaams they claim to follow as well as others who they wish not to follow.

asalamu alaikum

boriqee
02-20-2006, 12:28 AM
but the matter of this entails religion, a sharia. the muslims did not need a day ever, with the fitnah they had faced, to remember the prophet or remember the good things he did, they did that every step they took in search for knowledge and the establihsment of truth. They did that every blink they took with their eyes. What was never the religion in their time is not and can never be part of the religion now.

The religion does not revolve around sentiments and feelings. We revolve our feelings and sentiments around it.

there is nothing wrong in remembering the prophet and commemorating him, but making or establihsing it on a specific day (whether it is his birthday or anothe day) was never a matter that was practiced ever.

asalamu alaikum

M H Kahn
02-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Hi al-Izaaree !
You have precisely stated that what was not in the religion during the time
of Prophet (pbuh) and his companions can never be part of the religion afterwards. But in some regions it is scholars, with sky-high reputation and millions of fans blindly loving them, who have instituted the innovative malpractices in the religion including shirk. With the exception a microscopic few, all other scholars, Maulanas and ordinary Muslims in the subcontinet of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh believe :-

1. Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) was the first and special creation of Allah with His own light even before He created Adam(pbuh).
2. The name of Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) is written beside the name of Allah on His throne( Arsh)
3. Everything else in the universe was created for the sake of Prophet Muhammed (pbuh).
4. Adam(pbuh) was forgiven when he asked Allah to forgive him for the sake of Prophet Muhammed (pbuh).
5. Prophet Muhammed (pbuh)will recommend Allah for their forgiveness in the Hereafter.

Since, as they firmly believe, the whole universe was created for the sake of Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) and Adam(pbuh) was forgiven by Allah for the sake of Prophet Muhammed (pbuh), they invariably practice the following malpractices:-

(a) They say in their every supplication to Allah to grant them forgiveness for the sake of Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) and other good people, dead or alive.
(b) They think that they should earn the satidfaction of Prophet Muhammed (pbuh), who, they believe, is alive in his grave and is capable of seeing or listening.
(c) They ask Allah to to shower DURUD from their behalf in the grave of Prophet Muhammed (pbuh). If a DURUD is a dua or prayer, here they ask Allah to send on their behalf the dua to the prophet's grave, instead of asking Allah to accept the dua.

This region is infested with wolves (scholars and their adherents) with colourful faith that elevates Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) to the status of an entity having share in the power of Allah or that Allah depending on him for his decision, both the faiths are tantamount to shirk.

May Allah revive His deen here!

khurm
03-05-2006, 04:07 PM
this is true the prophets birthday is not allowed for us to celebrate

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 04:12 PM
i knw alot ov muzlims that celebrate the prophets birthday :rollseyes :rollseyes

bt i dn't knw am not sure :heated:

bt it's a gud question :)

take care

Bittersteel
03-05-2006, 04:32 PM
what about celebrating death anniversaries?

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abrar
what about celebrating death anniversaries?
do u mean ppl that r dead and celebrating em r do u mean the prophets :rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes

am sori if i av said anything that is not ryt :(

take care

khurm
04-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Eid milad un nabi is not allowed in islam u are not allowed to celebrate the Eid milad un nabi because:
About Eid Milad UN nabi I do not want to start a fight between the bravelys and ahl e hadith but this is the truth Eid Milad UN nabi is not allowed in Islam did the prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) do Eid Milad UN nabi when he was alive? No he did not do it. Did any of the companions of the prophet (sa.w) do Eid Milad UN nabi? No they did not do it so why should we do it

Abu bakr as siddiq the most beloved person from the companions to the prophet, and he was the first man to accept ISLAM. The prophet said about Abu bakr radia’llahu anhu that if he choose a best friend from the companions it would be Abu bakr as siddiq radia’llahu anhu. Did Abu bakr radia’llahu anhu do Eid Milad UN nabi and he was a khalifa after the prophet (s.a.w) passed away. Did he do Eid Milad UN nabi? No he did not do Eid Milad UN nabi
Did any of the other companions of the prophet do Eid Milad UN nabi? No they did not do Eid Milad Un nabi.
But why is Eid Milad Un nabi called an EID because they are only two EIDS in ISLAM and they are called EID UL FITR AND EID UL ADHA where does the third Eid come from. If the prophet (s.a.w) did not tell us about it where does it come from it does not say anything in the QURAN about celebrating the prophet (s.a.w) birthday. The hadith of the prophet (s.a.w) do not say that you to celebrate the prophets (s.a.w) birthday. If the prophet (s.a.w) did not tell us to celebrate his birthday and the companions of the prophet did not tell us to celebrate it why do you celebrate it then?
This Eid Milad Un Nabi Started After 400 years After The Death Of The Prophet (s.a.w) This Eid Milad UN Nabi Started After 400 Years.
But Still There Are More Scholars Still Alive In Saudi Arabia Why Don’t They Do Eid Milad UN Nabi Why? They Are Scholars In Islam Like Sheikh IMAM KHATIB Sheikh ABDUL RAHMAN Al AZIZ AS SUDAYS HE Is IMAM KHATIB WHY DOES HE NOT CELEBRATE EID MILAD UN NABI? Because the prophet never told us to do it and it does not say in the QURAN to do it. The Companions of the prophet (s.a.w) did not do Eid Milad UN Nabi. WHY should we do it?
Allah says in the Quran that
O you who believe believe in ALLAH and believe in his Messenger Muhammad s.a.w and render not vain your deeds

S_87
04-01-2006, 12:58 PM

agreed. its a bidah.

khurm
04-02-2006, 05:34 PM
i know it is a bidah but people like the braveleys think that it is not it is our duty as muslims to stop this from happening that is why i posted that thread to see what people think so this is our chance as the people that follow the sunna of the beloved prophet (s.a.w.) to stop this as Allah says "o you who belive obey ALLAH and obey his messenger Muhammad (s.a.w.) render not vain your deeds"

Maimunah
04-02-2006, 08:52 PM
salaam:)
Ruling on celebrating the birthday of the Prophet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Praise be to Allaah the Lord of the Worlds, and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and all his family and companions.

The commands mentioned in the Qur’aan and Sunnah to follow the laws of Allaah and His Messenger, and the prohibitions on introducing innovations into the religion are quite clear. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad to mankind): ‘If you (really) love Allaah, then follow me (i.e. accept Islamic Monotheism, follow the Qur’aan and the Sunnah), Allaah will love you and forgive you your sins’”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:31]

“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord (the Qur’aan and Prophet Muhammad’s Sunnah), and follow not any Awliyaa’ (protectors and helpers who order you to associate partners in worship with Allaah), besides Him (Allaah). Little do you remember!”

[al-A’raaf 7:3]

“And verily, this is My straight path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His path”

[al-A’naam 6:153]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The most truthful of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad, and the most evil of things are those which are newly-invented.” And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever innovates anything in this matter of ours (i.e., Islam), that is not part of it will have it rejected.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, no. 2697; Muslim, no. 1718). According to a version narrated by Muslim, “Whoever doe anything that is not in accordance with this matter of ours (i.e., Islam), will have it rejected.”

Among the reprehensible innovations that people have invented is the celebration of the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the month of Rabee’ al-Awwal. They celebrate this occasion in various ways:

Some of them simply make it an occasion to gather and read the story of the Mawlid, then they present speeches and qaseedahs (odes) for this occasion.

Some of them make food and sweets etc., and offer them to the people present.

Some of them hold these celebrations in the mosques, and some of them hold them in their houses.

Some people do not limit themselves to the actions mentioned above; they include in these gatherings haraam and reprehensible things, such as free mixing of men and women, dancing and singing, or committing actions of shirk such as seeking the help of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), calling upon him, seeking his support against their enemies and so on.

Whatever form it takes and whatever the intentions of those who do this are, there is no doubt whatsoever that it is an invented, haraam innovation which was introduced by the Shi’a Faatimids after the three best centuries, in order to corrupt the religion of the Muslims. The first person to do this after them was the king al-Muzaffar Abu Sa’eed Kawkaboori, the king of Irbil, at the end of the sixth century or the beginning of the seventh century AH, as was mentioned by the historians such as Ibn Khalkaan and others. Abu Shaamah said: the first person to do that in Mosul was Shaykh ‘Umar ibn Muhammad al-Malaa, one of the well-known righteous people. Then the ruler of Irbil and others followed his example.

Al-Haafiz Ibn Katheer said in al-Bidaayah wa’l-Nihaayah (13/137), in his biography of Abu Sa’eed Kazkaboori: “He used to observe the Mawlid in Rabee’ al-Awwal and hold a huge celebration on that occasion… some of those who were present at the feast of al-Muzaffar on some occasions of the Mawlid said that he used to offer in the feast five thousand grilled heads of sheep, ten thousand chickens and one hundred thousand large dishes, and thirty trays of sweets… he would let the Sufis sing from Zuhr until Fajr, and he himself would dance with them.”

Ibn Khalkaan said in Wafiyaat al-A’yaan (3/274): “When it is the first of Safar they decorate those domes with various kinds of fancy adornments, and in every dome there sits a group of singers and a group of puppeteers and players of musical instruments, and they do not leave any one of those domes without setting up a group (of performers) there.

The people give up work during this period, and they do no work except going around and watching the entertainment. When there are two days to go until the Mawlid, they bring out a large number of camels, cows and sheep, more than can be described, and they accompany them with all the drums, songs and musical instruments that they have, until they bring them to the square… On the night of the Mawlid there are performances of nasheed after Maghrib in the citadel.”

This is the origin of this celebration on the occasion of the Prophet’s birthday. More recently idle entertainment, extravagance, and wasting of money and time have become associated with an innovation for which Allaah has not sent down any authority.

What Muslims should do is to revive the Sunnah and put an end to bid’ah (innovation); they should not do any action until they know the ruling of Allaah concerning it.

Ruling on celebrating the Prophet’s birthday
Celebrating the occasion of the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is forbidden and is to be rejected for a number of reasons:

1 – it is not part of the Sunnah of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or of the khaleefahs who succeeded him. Since this is the case, then it is a forbidden innovation, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I urge you to follow my Sunnah and the way of the rightly-guided khaleefahs after me; adhere to it and cling to it firmly. Beware of newly-invented things, for every newly-invented thing is an innovation (bid’ah) and every innovation is a going-astray.” (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/126; al-Tirmidhi no. 2676).

Celebrating the Mawlid is an innovation introduced by the Shi’a Faatimids after the three best centuries in order to corrupt the religion of the Muslims. If a person does anything in order to draw closer to Allaah which was not done by the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or enjoined by him, and was not done by the khaleefahs who succeeded him, this action implies that he is accusing the Messenger of not explaining the religion to the people, and that he disbelieves in the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):

“This day, I have perfected your religion for you”

[al-Maa'idah 5:3]

because he is adding something extra and claiming that it is a part of the religion, but the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not bring this.

2 – Celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is an imitation of the Christians, because they celebrate the birth of the Messiah (peace be upon him). Imitating them is extremely haraam. The hadeeth tells us that it is forbidden to imitate the kuffaar, and we are commanded to differ from them. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them” (narrated by Ahmad, 2/50; Abu Dawood, 4/314). And he said, “Be different from the mushrikeen” (narrated by Muslim, 1/222, no. 259) – especially with regard to things that are the symbols or rituals of their religion.

3 – Besides being bid’ah and an imitation of the Christians, both of which are haraam, celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is also a means that leads to exaggeration and excess in venerating him, which even goes as far as calling upon him (making du’aa’ to him) and seeking his help, instead of calling upon Allaah, as happens now among many of those who observe the bid’ah of the Mawlid, when they call upon the Messenger instead of Allaah, and ask him for support, and sing qaseedahs (odes) of shirk praising him, like Qaseedat al-Burdah etc. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade going to extremes in praising him, as he said: “Do not extol as the Christians extolled the son of Maryam. For I am just His slave, so say, the slave of Allaah and His Messenger” (narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4/142, no. 3445; al-Fath, 6/551), i.e., do not exaggerate in praising me as the Christians exaggerated in praising the Messiah and venerated him until they worshipped him instead of Allaah. Allaah forbade them to do that when he said (interpretation of the meaning):

“O people of the Scripture (Christians)! Do not exceed the limits in your religion, nor say of Allaah aught but the truth. The Messiah ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), was (no more than) a Messenger of Allaah and His Word, (“Be!” — and he was) which He bestowed on Maryam (Mary) and a spirit (Rooh) created by Him”

[al-Nisaa’ 4:171]

Our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade us to exaggerate concerning him lest the same thing happen to us as happened to them, so he said: “Beware of exaggeration, for those who came before you were destroyed because of exaggeration” (narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 5/268; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Nasaa’i, no. 2863).

4 – Observing the innovation of the Prophet’s birthday opens the door to other kinds of bid’ah and being distracted by them from the Sunnah. Hence you find that the innovators are very active when it comes to bid’ah and very lazy when it comes to the Sunnah; they hate it and regard those who follow it as enemies, until their entire religion is innovated anniversaries and Mawlids. They have split into various groups, each of which commemorates the anniversary of its imaam’s birth, such as the births of al-Badawi, Ibn ‘Arabi, al-Dasooqi and al-Shaadhili. No sooner do they end the celebration of one birthday but they start the celebration of another. This results in exaggeration concerning these dead people and others, and in calling upon them instead of Allaah, believing that they can bring benefit and cause harm, until they deviate from the religion of Allaah and go back to the religion of the people of the Jaahiliyyah of whom Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And they worship besides Allaah things that harm them not, nor profit them, and they say: ‘These are our intercessors with Allaah’”

[Yoonus 10:18]

“And those who take Awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, lords, gods) besides Him (say): ‘We worship them only that they may bring us near to Allaah’”

[al-Zumar 39:3]

Discussing the specious arguments of those who celebrate the Mawlid

Those who think that this bid’ah should be continued produce specious arguments which are flimsier than a spider’s web. These specious arguments may be dealt with as follows:

1 – Their claim that this is veneration of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him):

The response to that is that the way to venerate him is to obey him, do as he commanded and avoid that which he forbade, and to love him; he is not to be venerated through innovations, myths and sins. Celebrating his birthday is of this blameworthy type because it is a sin. The people who venerated the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) the most were the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them), as ‘Urwah ibn Mas’ood said to Quraysh: “O people, by Allaah I have visited kings. I went to Caesar, Chosroes and the Negus, but by Allaah I never saw a king whose companions venerated him as much as the companions of Muhammad venerated Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). By Allaah, whenever he spat it never fell on the ground, it fell into into the hand of one his companions, then they wiped their faces and skins with it. If he instructed them to do something, they would hasten to do as he commanded. When he did wudoo’, they would almost fight over his water. When he spoke they would lower their voices in his presence; and they did not stare at him out of respect for him.” (al-Bukhaari, 3/178, no. 2731, 2732; al-Fath, 5/388). Yet despite this level of veneration, they never took the day of his birth as an ‘Eid (festival). If that had been prescribed in Islam they would not have neglected to do that.

2 – Using as evidence the fact that many people in many countries do this.

The response to that is that evidence consists of that which is proven from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and what is proven from the Prophet is that innovations are forbidden in general, and this is an innovation. What people do, if it goes against the evidence (daleel), does not prove anything, even if many of them do it.

“And if you obey most of those on the earth, they will mislead you far away from Allaah’s path”

[al-An’aam 6:116 – interpretation of the meaning]

Nevertheless, in every age, praise be to Allaah, there have always been those who denounce this bid’ah and state clearly that it is false. Those who persist in following it after the truth had been explained to them have no proof.

Among those who denounced the celebration of this occasion was Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, in Iqtidaa’ al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem; Imaam al-Shaatibi in al-‘I’tisaam; Ibn al-Haaj in al-Madkhil; Shaykh Taaj al-Deen ‘Ali ibn ‘Umar al-Lakhami who wrote an entire book denouncing it; Shaykh Muhammad Basheer al-Sahsawaani al-Hindi in his book Siyaanah al-Insaan; al-Sayyid Muhammad Rasheed Ridaa wrote a separate essay on this topic; Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem Aal al-Shaykh wrote a separate essay on it; Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz; and others who are still writing and denouncing this bid’ah every year in the pages of newspapers and magazines, at the time when this bid’ah is being done.

3 – They say that by celebrating the Mawlid they are keeping the memory of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) alive.

The answer to that is that the memory of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is constantly kept alive by the Muslim, such as when his name (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is mentioned in the adhaan and iqaamah and in khutbahs, and every time the Muslim recites the Shahaadatayn after doing wudoo’ and in the prayers, and every time he sends blessings upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in his prayers and when he is mentioned, and every time the Muslim does a waajib (obligatory) or mustahabb (recommended) action that was prescribed by the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). In all of these ways (the Muslim) remembers him and the reward equivalent to the reward of the one who does that action goes back to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Thus the Muslim constantly keeps the memory of the Messenger alive and has a connection with him night and day throughout his life through that which Allaah has prescribed, not only on the day of the Mawlid and things which are bid’ah and go against the Sunnah, for that puts one at a distance from the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and the Messenger will disown him because of that.

The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has no need of this innovated celebration, because Allaah has already bestowed veneration and respect upon him, as He says:

“and raised high your fame”

[al-Sharh 94:4]

For Allaah is not mentioned in the adhaan, iqaamah or khutbah, but the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is mentioned after Him; this is sufficient veneration, love and renewal of his memory, ad sufficient encouragement to follow him.

Allaah did not refer to the birth of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the Qur’aan, rather He referred to his Mission, and says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Indeed, Allaah conferred a great favour on the believers when He sent among them a Messenger (Muhammad) from among themselves”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:124]

“He it is Who sent among the unlettered ones a Messenger (Muhammad) from among themselves”

[al-Jumu’ah 64:2]

4 – They may say that the celebration of the Prophet’s birthday was introduced by a knowledgeable and just king who intended thereby to draw closer to Allaah.

Our response to that is that bid’ah is not acceptable, no matter who does it. A good intention does not justify a bad deed and even if a person died as a knowledgeable and righteous person, this does not mean that he was infallible.

5 – They say that celebrating the mawlid comes under the heading of bid’ah hasanah (“good innovation”) because it is based on giving thanks to Allaah for the Prophet!

Our response to that is that there is nothing good in innovation. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever innovates anything in this matter of ours (i.e., Islam), that is not part of it will have it rejected.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, no. 2697; al-Fath, 5/355). And he said, “Every innovation is a going astray” (narrated by Ahmad, 4/126; al-Tirmidhi, no. 2676). The ruling on innovations is that they are all misguidance, but this specious argument suggests that not every bid’ah is a going astray, rather there are good innovations.

Al-Haafiz ibn Rajab said in Sharh al-Arba’een: “The words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), ‘every innovation is a going astray’ is a concise but comprehensive comment which includes everything; it is one of the most important principles of religion. It is like his words ‘Whoever innovates anything in this matter of ours (i.e., Islam), that is not part of it will have it rejected.’ (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3/167, no. 2697; al-Fath, 5/355). Whoever innovates anything and attributes it to Islam when it has no basis in the religion, this is a going astray and is nothing to do with Islam, whether that has to do with matters of belief (‘aqeedah) or outward and inward words and deeds.”

(Jaami’ al-‘Uloom wa’l-Hakam, p. 233)

These people have no proof that there is any such thing as a “good innovation” apart from the words of ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) concerning Taraaweeh prayers, “What a good innovation this is.” (Saheeh al-Bukhaari, 2/252, no. 2010 mu’allaqan; al-Fath 4/294).

They also said that things were innovated which were not denounced by the salaf, such as compiling the Qur’aan into one volume and writing and compiling the hadeeth.

The response to that is that these matters had a basis in Islam, so they were not newly-invented.

‘Umar said: “What a good bid’ah” meaning innovation in the linguistic sense, not in the shar’i sense. Whatever has a basis in Islam, if it is described as an innovation, is an innovation in the linguistic sense, not in the shar’i sense, because innovation in the shar’i sense means that which has no basis in Islam.

Compiling the Qur’aan into one book has a basis in Islam, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had commanded that the Qur’aan be written down, but it was scattered, so the Sahaabah compiled it in one volume so as so protect and preserve it.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) led his companions in praying Taraaweeh for a while, then he stopped doing that, lest that become obligatory on them. The Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) continued to pray it separately during the life of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and after his death, until ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with them) gathered them behind one imaam as they used to pray behind the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). This was not an innovation introduced into the religion.

Writing down the hadeeth also has a basis in Islam. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) ordered that some ahaadeeth should be written down for some of his companions when they asked him for that. In general terms writing it down during his lifetime was not allowed, for fear that the Qur’aan might be mixed with things that were not part of it. When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) died, this fear was no longer a factor, because the Qur’aan had been completed and arranged in order before he died. The Muslims compiled the Sunnah after that in order to preserve it and keep it from being lost. May Allaah reward them with good on behalf of Islam and the Muslims, because they preserved the Book of their Lord and the Sunnah of their Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) from being lost or being tampered with.

We may also say to them: why was this act of thanksgiving, as they call it, not done by the best generations, the Sahaabah, Taabi’een and followers of the Taabi’een, who loved the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) most and who were most keen to do good and give thanks? Are those who introduced the innovation of the Mawlid more rightly-guided than them? Do they give more thanks to Allaah? Definitely not!

6 – They may say that celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is indicative of their love for him; this is one way of showing that, and showing love of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is prescribed in Islam!

The answer to that is that undoubtedly loving the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is obligatory for every Muslim; he should love him more than he loves himself, his child, his father and all the people – may my father and mother be sacrificed for him – but that does not mean that we should introduce innovations for doing so that have not been prescribed for us. Loving him dictates that we should obey him and follow him, for that is one of the greatest manifestations of love, as it is said:

“If your love is sincere then obey him; for the lover obeys the one whom he loves.”

Loving the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) implies keeping his Sunnah alive, adhering firmly to it, and avoiding words and deeds that go against it. Undoubtedly everything that goes against his Sunnah is a reprehensible innovation (bid’ah) and a manifest act of disobedience. That includes celebrating his birthday and other kinds of bid’ah. A good intention does not mean that it is permissible to introduce innovations into the religion. Islam is based on two things, purity of intention and following [the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)]. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Yes, but whoever submits his face (himself) to Allaah (i.e. follows Allaah’s religion of Islamic Monotheism) and he is a Muhsin (a doer of good) then his reward is with his Lord (Allaah), on such shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve”

[al-Baqarah 2:112]

Submitting one’s face to Allaah means being sincere towards Allaah, and doing good means following the Messenger and implementing the Sunnah.

7 – Another of their specious arguments is when they say that by celebrating the Mawlid and reading the biography of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) on this occasion, they are encouraging people to follow his example!

We say to them that reading the biography of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and following his example are required of the Muslim all the time, all year long and throughout his life. Singling out a specific day for that with no evidence for doing so is an innovation, and every innovation is a going astray.” (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/164; al-Tirmidhi, 2676). Bid’ah does not bear any fruit but evil and it leads to a person distancing himself from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

In conclusion, celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), whatever form it takes, is a reprehensible innovation. The Muslims should put a stop to this and other kinds of bid’ah, and occupy themselves with reviving and adhering to the Sunnah. They should not be deceived by those who promote and defend this bid’ah, for these types of people are more interested in keeping innovations alive than in reviving the Sunnah; they may not even care about the Sunnah at all. Whoever is like this, it is not permissible to imitate him or follow his example, even if the majority of people are like this. Rather we should follow the example of those who follow the path of the Sunnah, among the righteous salaf and their followers, even if they are few. Truth is not measured by the men who speak it, rather men are measured by the truth.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever among you lives (for a long time) will see many differences. I urge you to follow my Sunnah and the way of the rightly-guided khaleefahs who come after me. Hold on to it firmly. Beware of newly-invented matters, for every innovation is a going astray.” (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/126; al-Tirmidhi no. 2676). So the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained to us in this hadeeth what we should do when there are differences of opinion, just as he explained that everything that goes against his Sunnah, be it words or deeds, is a bid’ah, and every bid’ah is a going astray.

If we see that there is no basis for celebrating the birthday of the Prophet, whether in the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or in the way of the rightly-guided khaleefahs, then it is one of the newly-invented matters, one of the bid’ahs which lead people astray. This principle is what is implied by this hadeeth and is what is indicated by the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Obey Allaah and obey the Messenger (Muhammad), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority. (And) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allaah and His Messenger, if you believe in Allaah and in the Last Day. That is better and more suitable for final determination”

[al-Nisaa’ 4:59]

Referring to Allaah means referring to His Book, and referring to the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) means referring to his Sunnah after he has passed away. The Qur’aan and Sunnah are the reference point in cases of dispute. Where in the Qur’aan or Sunnah does it indicate that it is prescribed in Islam to celebrate the Prophet’s birthday? Whoever does that or thinks that it is good must repent to Allaah from this and from other kinds of bid’ah. This is the attitude of the Muslim who is seeking the truth. But whoever is too stubborn and arrogant after proof has been established, then his reckoning will be with his Lord.

We ask Allaah to help us adhere to His Book and the Sunnah of His Messenger until the Day when we will meet Him. May Allaah grant blessings and peace to our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

Huqooq al-Nabi (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) bayna al-Ijlaal wa’l-Ikhlaal, p. 139

Shaykh Dr. Saalih ibn Fawzaan al-Fawzaan

Member of the Committee of Senior Scholars, Saudi Arabia.

Mohammed Bilal
04-02-2006, 10:26 PM
I would never celebrate the birth of the prophet it is just like christmas celebrating the birth of a prophet who later on is called god -- are these people calling the holy prophet (pbuh)???

Mohammed Bilal
04-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Please try not to celebrate eid milad-un-nabi no matter what. it shouldnt be celebrated.

S_87
04-03-2006, 12:51 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^ wheres it in Quran or sunnah??? :)

+ dont miss out on this $500 REWARD

To the first person who can show
Anywhere in Quran or Authentic Sunnah
That the Companions of Mohammed (saaws)
Annually Celebrated the Rasool's Birthday
During his lifetime or after his death

+ another member has kindly offered another $500 for proof

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-03-2006, 01:28 PM

That is the danger with Bid'ah, If you try to stop people from doing such practices, they get angry and accuse you of stopping them from pleasing Allah. The Prophet has said:

Beware of every newly invented matter,
for every newly invented matter is an innovation,
and every innovation is error,
and every error is in the hellfire.
(an-Nasaa'ee)

"Whosoever does an action which we have not commanded then it must be rejected." (Muslim). And again, "whosoever introduces into this religion of ours that which is not part of it then it must be rejected" (Ahmad)

------
04-03-2006, 01:29 PM
So u saying its wrong?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-03-2006, 01:30 PM

Yes. It isnt in Islam.

------
04-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Prove it. :)

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-03-2006, 01:32 PM

3 posts back sister. And the ones before it.

And I ask you to prove to me that it is part of the religion from the Quran and the Sunnah.

------
04-03-2006, 01:43 PM
"The one who rejoices on the birth day of the Holy Prophet would not be severely punished and it is hopped that a Muslim who celebrate the Milad un Nabi (Allah's Grace and Peace be upon him), will not be punished in hell. Imam Bukhari Rahmatullah Alaih narrates that Abu Lahab would be punished lightly in the hell on Monday. Because he rejoiced and freed his handmaid indicating by his finger, when the Prophet of Allah Almighty (Allah's Grace and Peace be upon him) took birth. So as a reward of happiness on Milad un Nabi (Allah's Grace and Peace be upon him) he would be given water by his finger."
(Saheehul Bukhari Vol. 2, Page 764)

This narration proves that to celebrate Milad un Nabi is a tradition of the Holy Prophet (Allah’s Grace and Peace be upon him) on every Monday. Secondly it is lawful to fix a particular day for Milad un Nabi (Allah's Grace and Peace be upon him). Thirdly it is an act of sunnah to worship in the pleasure of the Milad un Nabi (Allah's Grace and Peace be upon him)

Heres your PROOF :)

Source

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-03-2006, 02:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pagal Kuri
"The one who rejoices on the birth day of the Holy Prophet would not be severely punished and it is hopped that a Muslim who celebrate the Milad un Nabi (Allah's Grace and Peace be upon him), will not be punished in hell. Imam Bukhari Rahmatullah Alaih narrates that Abu Lahab would be punished lightly in the hell on Monday. Because he rejoiced and freed his handmaid indicating by his finger, when the Prophet of Allah Almighty (Allah's Grace and Peace be upon him) took birth. So as a reward of happiness on Milad un Nabi (Allah's Grace and Peace be upon him) he would be given water by his finger."
(Saheehul Bukhari Vol. 2, Page 764)

This narration proves that to celebrate Milad un Nabi is a tradition of the Holy Prophet (Allah’s Grace and Peace be upon him) on every Monday. Secondly it is lawful to fix a particular day for Milad un Nabi (Allah's Grace and Peace be upon him). Thirdly it is an act of sunnah to worship in the pleasure of the Milad un Nabi (Allah's Grace and Peace be upon him)

Heres your PROOF :)

Source

The hadeeth is dodgy, and ill clarify on that a bit later Inshallah.

As for one point on where it is dodgy:

And the inmates of the fire shall call out to the dwellers of the garden, saying: Pour on us some water or of that which Allah has given you. They shall say: Surely Allah has prohibited them both to the unbelievers.

Surah Ar'af Verse 50.

So this hadith is going against the Quran on one point.

Also for now look at this:

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...e&QR=249&dgn=4
by Shaykh Muhammad Munajjid

S_87
04-03-2006, 02:12 PM

that hadith. ok im searching. but i cant find???

+

The Inventor of Milad an-Nabi
By al-Haafidh al-Imaam ibn Kathir & al-Haafidh al-Imaam ibn Hajar al-Asqalaani

Talib-ul-Ilm
04-03-2006, 02:33 PM
For those of us who really want to know..... heres proof against the traditions of Milad >>>>

Question : Why do some Sunni Ulema, like the Deobandis prohibit the mawlid ?

Question no: 11251622
Date posted : 30/06/2004

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer :

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful.

In an age and time when Muslims are being attacked by the enemies of Islam from every angle possible, to debate and talk about something which is a non-issue (yes, a non-issue), such as “celebrating the Mawlid” is doing injustice to ourselves.

Thousands of Muslims are being massacred and persecuted day in day out, many are involved in all sorts of un-Islamic activities, youngsters are on the brink of disbelief (kufr), our young brothers and sisters are involved in drinking, drug abuse and fornication, yet here we are debating whether it is permissible to celebrate the birthday of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace).

I personally was reluctant to write on this subject, but my dear friend Sidi Faraz Rabbani ordered me to compile a piece explaining the Deobandi position with regards to the Mawlid. Thus, adhering to his command, I will endeavour to explain the ruling on celebrating the Mawlid, as understood by the Deobandi scholars.

Before explaining the Deobandi position on the Mawlid, I would like to emphasize that unfortunately many of our disputes, disagreements and arguments are due to not understanding (or not wanting to understand, should I say) the opposite parties stance on a particular issue. I have experienced this many times. This is a problem on both, the Deobandi and Barelwi, sides.

Rather than find excuses for the statements of fellow Muslims and interpret them so they are justified, we force people to believe something which they themselves no dot believe. In my personal experience, this is the main reason why so many Muslims are divided.

I hear some Deobandis claim that the Barelwis believe this and that, yet when I speak to some of our Barelwi brothers about the issue, they categorically state that this is not what we believe; rather…….and then they explain their stance. The case is same with the Barelwis, in that they themselves decide for the Deobandis that agree or disagree; this is what you believe, despite the Deobandis rejecting it.

This is quite unfortunate indeed. If we look at all the other religions, faiths, nations, groups, and organisations, they try and increase the numbers of their associates. The Christians claim that most of the world’s population are followers of their faith, and many other religions also try their best to include every individual in their religion who has a minor attachment to them, in order to increase the size of their following. However, Muslims are the only ones who try their best to decrease the Ummah of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) by forcing people to believe what they don’t, and reduce the Muslim Ummah as much as possible. We don’t hesitate for one moment in branding one another as disbelievers.

The great Hanafi Imam, Allama Ibn Abidin (Allah have mercy on him) states in his renowned Sharh Uqud Rasm al-Mufti:
“Branding someone a non-believer (kafir) is a great thing indeed; hence I do not label a believer as a non-believer as long as one sign of him believing is found….One should not issue a Fatwa of a believer’s disbelief (kufr) as long as it is possible to interpret his statement in a justified manner, or there is a difference of opinion regarding him disbelieving, even if there is a weak narration.” (Sharh Uqud Rasm al-Mufti, 1/36)

Thus, one should not haste in branding and terming other Muslims as disbelievers or sinners and innovators, for branding a Muslim a disbeliever is a grave thing indeed. The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him eternal peace) said: “Any person who calls his brother: O Unbeliever! (then the truth of this label) would return to one of them. If it is true, (then it is) as he asserted, (but if it is not true), then it returns to him (and thus the person who made the accusation is an Unbeliever).” (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 6130 and Sahih Muslim, no. 60, reported by Ibn Umar, Allah be pleased with him)

Thus, it is very important that we have tolerance, patience and forbearance. We must be precautious in what we say. We should try and look for excuses for our fellow Muslim brothers and sisters. If a statement or viewpoint of a fellow Muslim seems incorrect, then rather than condemning the person, go and investigate as to whether it is true or otherwise. Don’t force others to believe what they themselves do not believe.

Many of the issues on which the Deobandis and Barelwis are divided are for this very reason. In reality, there is no “significant” difference, rather it is only a case of interpretation or how it was said, yet there is so much fuss made about it.

For example: The matter of whether the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) had knowledge of the unseen is made such an issue, but if we were to ponder deeply with cool headedness, it would become clear that there is no real difference.

The Deobandis state that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) had knowledge of many unseen things, but the knowledge was given to him by Allah Most High. Thus, one cannot call the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) the “knower of the unseen” (a’lim al-Ghayb), for that is used when one has knowledge of the unseen without someone else informing him. When I asked some of my Barelwi friends that do you believe that the messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) had knowledge of the unseen in a manner that Allah has? They said: “of course not” How can the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) be equal in knowledge to Allah. However, he had the knowledge of the unseen, but it was given to him by Allah Most High.

Now, when we look at these two positions, it becomes clear that both the Deobandis and Barelwis agree that the Messenger of Allah’s (Allah bless him & give him peace) Knowledge of the unseen was given to him by Allah Most High. The only minute difference is whether one can call him A’lim al-Ghayb or otherwise. The Deobandis state that because the knowledge was given to him by Allah most High, it is not correct to call him A’lim al-Ghayb, for that title is for someone who knows of the unseen without being informed by another. The Barelwis, on the other hand, say there is nothing wrong in giving this title to the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) even if the knowledge to him was given by Allah Most High.

Thus, the difference is very minute indeed, but rather than explain to people that it is a very minute difference, we make it a fundamental part of one’s Aqidah. The Deobandis insist that the Barelwis regard the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) to be equal to Allah, and that they regard his knowledge to be similar to that of Allah, whereas the Barelwis refuse to accept that the Deobandis also believe that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) also had knowledge of the unseen, and that they disrespect the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace)

The second point to remember is that we must abstain from using the various names and titles like Deobandis, Barewlis, etc. I myself have used these terms here, because I had no choice. I am explaining the differences of the two schools, thus it was indispensable for me to use them. But in our day-to-day conversations, we should not call ourselves and others but with the title of Muslims and Sunnis.

Allah Most High says:

“He has chosen you, and has imposed no difficulties on you in religion; it is the cult of your father Ibrahim. It is he who has named you Muslims, both before and in this (Revelation); that the Messenger may be a witness for you and you be witnesses for mankind.”
(Surah al-Hajj, V. 78)

Thus, we must avoid using names other than that of being a Muslim. To use different names and titles in order to incite others and cause friction and disunity among Muslims is a grave sin, and must be avoided.

Once a student approached a Syrian Arab Scholar and said: “I need to ask you some questions, but before I do that, I need to know whether you are a Barelwi or Deobandi” He said: “I am a Muslim, follower of the Shafi’i School, I don’t know what this Barelwi/Deobandi thing is” The student insisted that he must be one of them. He suggested that the Shaykh look into the classical Aqidah books and see the Aqidahs of these two groups. The Shaykh said: “I have read almost all of the major works in Aqidah but have never found these names. The student insisted that it must have been overlooked by the Shaykh!

Once a brother said to me that Allama Ibn Abidin was a Deobandi and Imam Suyuti a Barelwi! I became infuriated and said: “This is completely incorrect. How can you call someone a Deobandi when Deoband did not even exist? The reality is that the Deobandis, Barelwis and also others follow the likes of Allama Ibn Abidin and Imam Suyuti.

Therefore, these titles and names should be completely avoided. I sincerely advice our brothers and sisters to abstain themselves and prevent others from using these names, for it causes nothing but friction.

Thirdly, when we look at the issues of difference between the Barelwis and Deobandis, it is quite evident that some of them are minor and petty issues. You won’t find any of the classical books of Aqidah discussing these issues.

Thus, we need to overlook these petty issues and concentrate on the more important issues of Islam. People are in need of real guidance, someone to help them strengthen their faith, teach them about the basics of Islam, not someone who debates whether one can say Ya Rasul Allah or otherwise.

Unfortunately, we have given extra significance to these issues than they deserve. These were issues that were associated to a person’s individual connection with Allah Most High and His beloved Messenger (Allah bless him & give him peace), but we have made them into the basic tenets of Creed (aqidah) and issues that distinguish belief from disbelief and piety from impiety (fisq).

One a brother phoned me and said: “I need to ask you a question concerning business and trade but first tell me are you from the Aqidah of Assalatu wassalamu alayka ya Rasul Allah? I said that this is not a matter of Aqidah. It is similar to saying: “Do you have the Aqidah of Subhan Allah or Assalamu Alayka ayyuhan Nabi”! I explained to him that these are minute and petty issues and debating about them should be avoided.

Keeping the above three points in mind, we come to the issue of celebrating the birthday of our beloved Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace).

The Deobandi stance on the Mawlid is that, not only is it permissible to celebrate it, rather it is an great act of virtue, as long as the celebrations are free from the unlawful or reprehensible activities, such as free intermingling of the sexes, excessive wasteful spending, fixing of a particular date, etc, and it is not held to be something necessary to do such that those who choose not to participate are considered to be in the wrong.

This is the Deobandi viewpoint and it would not be appropriate to force it down them that they totally reject the celebration of the Mawlid. As mentioned earlier that it is wrong to force upon others their beliefs and opinions, rather we should take what they say at face value.

The fundamental book that explains the viewpoints of the Deobandi scholars is al-Muhannad ala al-Mufannad compiled by Shaykh Mawlana Khalil Ahmad al-Saharanfuri and endorsed by many scholars, such as: Imam Ashraf Ali al-Tahanawi, Shaykh al-Hind Mawlana Mahmud al-Hasan Deobandi and many others (Allah have mercy on them all). The abovementioned viewpoint can be seen quite clearly in this book.

Shaykh Khalil Ahmad (a student of Shaykh Rashid Ahmad Gangohi) states:
“Far be it from any Muslim that he says (let alone us): mentioning the birth of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace), or even mentioning the soil under his footwear and the urine of his donkey, is an act of reprehensible and unlawful innovation.

Thus, aspects that have even a minute connection with the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace), mentioning them is from the much-loved of practices and from the greatest of recommendations, be it the mention of his blessed birth, or the mention of him reliving himself, or the mention of him standing, sitting, sleeping and being awake. This has been explained in detail in my book al-Barahin al-Qati’a in many places.”
(Al-Muhannad, P. 78)

The above text quite categorically states the permissibility of celebrating the Mawlid. However, what the Deobandi Ulama reject is the unlawful and evil practices that have found its way in some Mawlid celebrations, especially in the Subcontinent.
Thus, Shaykh Khalil Ahmad (Allah have mercy on him) further states:
“It is clear from the above that we do not reject the mentioning of the Messenger of Allah’s (Allah bless him him & give him peace) birth; rather, we reject and refute those evils that are attached to such gatherings as you may have seen them in the Indian subcontinent, such as mentioning fabricated and false narrations, intermingling of the sexes, excessive wasteful spending in lights and decoration, holding it to be something necessary to do such that those who choose not to participate are slandered and called non-believers, and other evils from which very few gatherings (in the subcontinent) are free.
However, if the gathering is free from such evils, far be it from us that we say: Celebrating the birth of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) is evil and an innovation…” (Ibid, p. 80)

Let us now look at the Fatwa of Shaykh Mufti Taqi Usmani (may Allah preserve him), with which some people have a problem. The respected Shaykh states:

“As I explained in my article on celebration of Eid-e-Milad-un-Nabi (Mawlid), holding a meeting to discuss different aspects of the life of the Holy Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace) is a very meritorious act for which the Muslims should strive to the best of their ability. But confining this discussion to the events of the birth of the Holy Prophet and restricting it to a particular date and holding attendance at such meetings as necessary or obligatory for every Muslim renders this practice as bid’ah or innovation.

Mostly the meetings of Mawlid today are of this type. Therefore, contemporary Ulema of Deoband have declared it a bid’ah.

If the life of the Holy Prophet is made subject of a meeting, and the meeting is free of the above mentioned defects, nobody can call it a bid’ah. It is in this context that some scholars of the past have allowed the practice.” (Taken from the www.albalagh.net website)

The upshot of the above Fatwa is that there are three things which are disapproved of:

1) Mentioning only the events of the Messenger of Allah’s (Allah bless him & give him peace) birth in the gatherings,

2) Restricting the gathering to a particular date,

3) Thinking it to be obligatory and binding upon everybody.

Thus, if the above three main evils are avoided, not only will celebrating the Mawlid be permissible; rather, it will be a great act of virtue.

I myself once asked Shaykh Taqi Usmani (Allah preserve him) that if the evils were avoided in such gatherings, would they be permitted? He replied in the affirmative and said the most important of these evils that must be avoided is that of restricting the celebration to a particular date.

This is quite significant, because during my stay in Syria, I observed Mawlid gatherings being celebrated on many different dates of Rabi’ al-Awwal. So much so that many gatherings would even take place outside of this month. The celebrations and gatherings would be spread out right through the year, although they would become more widespread in the month of Rabi’ al-Awwal.

Thus, in light of Shaykh Taqi Usmani’s words, these Mawlid gatherings are not only permitted, rather highly recommended practices. It would be wrong (and an innovation) to specifically restrict the Mawlid gathering to the 12th of Rabi’ al-Awwal in a way that it would not take place on any other date.

Below is another Fatwa authorized by Mufti Taqi Usmani (may Allah preserve him):

“The gatherings arranged to remember the birth of the Prophet Muhammad, Sallallahu alayhi wasallam, the mercy to the mankind, are called Milad gatherings. Remembering the life of the Prophet Sallallahu alayhi wasallam, and teaching others about it, is an act of great blessing and virtue. However all good deeds have to be performed according to the rules and guidelines established by the Shariah. To exceed them is a grave sin. For example reciting the Qur’an is a great act of virtue, but it is prohibited to do so while one is in ruku or sujud in prayers. Likewise, Salat is one of the most important acts of worship. Yet, it is haram to perform it at sunrise or sunset.

Similarly, there are rules governing the blessed remembrance of the Sirah. For example, this remembrance must not be associated with a particular day or month; it should be considered equally virtuous during every month of the year, every week of the month, and every day of the week. Also it can take any permissible form. For example you can arrange a reading of an authentic book on Sirah or have a lecture delivered by a scholar. Doing that is not only permissible but it will bring great reward. But it is important to stay away from the evils found in the prevalent Milad gatherings. Here are some of those evils:

1) A particular date (12 Rabi al-Awwal) has been designated for this remembrance.

2) The element of show-off (riya) is commonly present in these gatherings.

3) If someone does not attend these gatherings, he is looked down upon.

4) Distribution of sweets is considered an indispensable part of the proceedings.

5) To meet the expenses, donations are collected from sometimes unwilling people who give money under social pressure. According to the hadith it is not permissible to take any Muslim’s money without his willingness.

6) Intermixing of men and women commonly takes place in these gatherings. People stay late at night in these meetings thereby missing the next morning’s prayers.

7) The focus of the talks delivered there is very limited. The Prophet, Sallallahu alayhi wasallam, has given guidance for every aspect of our life. These cover acts of worship, dealing with other people, morals and manners, social relationships, business dealings, etc. However, it has been observed that the prevalent Milad talks concentrate mainly or solely on the account of the birth of the Prophet, Sallallahu alayhi wasallam, and his miracles. They do not attempt to cover the vast teachings of the Prophet, Sallallahu alayhi wasallam.

For these reasons, one should refrain from the prevalent Milad gatherings. However, if care is taken to avoid all of these evils and to follow the Shariah carefully, then a meeting organized to remember the Prophet, Sallallahu alayhi wasallam , with the sole purpose of seeking Allah’s pleasure, will Insha-Allah be a blessed event. And Allah knows best.
(End of Fatwa)

Written: Muhammad Abdul Muntaqim Sylheti (Darul-Ifta, Darul-uloom Karachi) Concurrence from:

Justice Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani

Mufti Muhammad Rafi Usmani

Mufti Abdul Rauf Sakkharvi

And many others. (See: www.albalagh.net)

The above Fatwa of Dar al-Uloom Karachi and approved by Shaykh Mufti Taqi Usmani (Allah have mercy on him) also gives the same message, in that the Mawlid, if free of impermissible matters, cannot be considered blameworthy or an innovation.

In my personal view, it is only a difference of interpretation and the way one puts forth his viewpoint. It is a case of what we discussed earlier that one says something and much more is added to it.

If we were to look at the same above Fatwa endorsed by Mufti Taqi Usmani and turn it around, the message would seem quite the opposite. There are two ways of putting your argument forward.

For example: One can say that celebrating the Mawlid is a great act of virtue, a highly praiseworthy practice, etc….Then conclude the Fatwa or article by saying: However, if there are evils attached to the gathering, it would not be permitted. On the other hand, one may say: “celebrating the Mawlid is wrong, an innovation, has too many evils, etc….Then conclude the answer by saying: However, if these evils were avoided it would be permissible.

Now, even though these two arguments give the same message, the assumption made is quite the opposite. It’s just a case of “how you say it”.

It is related that the great Deobandi scholar of Hadith, Fiqh and Tasawwuf, Shaykh Mawlana Rashid Ahmad Gangohi (Allah have mercy on him) once on his journey to Makkah al-Mukarramah for Umra visited his Shaykh and spiritual master, Haji Imdad Allah Muhajir al-Makki (Allah have mercy on him). Incidentally, on one of the days a Mawlid gathering was organized. His Shaykh Haji Imdad Allah (Allah have mercy on him) said to Shaykh Gangohi that "There is a Mawlid gathering organized, would you like to attend with me? He refused and said: “How can I attend a gathering of Mawlid when I prevent others from attending it in India due the evils that have been attached to them. If they (people in India) came to know of me attending a Mawlid what would they say? Upon hearing this, his Shaykh Haji Imdad Allah said: “May Allah reward you. I would have not been happier if you attended the Mawlid than I am in you refusing to come with us, because you are steadfast on what you believe to be the truth."

Thereafter, Haji Imdad Allah al-Makki attended the Mawlid and one of the servants and students of Shaykh Mawlana Rashid Ahmad Gangohi also, without informing his Shaykh, went to the Mawlid. This student of Shaykh Rashid Ahmad said after attending the Mawlid: “If my Shaykh, Mawlana Rashid Ahmad Gangohi would have attended the Mawlid gathering, he would have not condemned it, for it was free from evil and impermissible matters.
(See: Malfuzat of Mufti Mahmud al-Hasan Gangohi, 1/99)

The Deobandis also have gatherings in which they mention the Sirah, characteristics and ways of the messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace). Songs and Anashid in praise of the best of creation are sung. These gatherings are organized throughout the year and become more common in the month of Rabi’ al-Awwal. However, they do not attach it to a particular date, and also, rather than calling them “Mawlid gatherings” they call them Sirah gatherings, denoting that not only the birth of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) will be discussed rather his life in general.

Therefore, we can conclude the Deobandi viewpoint on celebrating Mawlid saying that it is a highly praiseworthy act for which one will be rewarded. However, it will be wrong and an innovation to attach the impermissible matters to it, and this is how they understand the statement of scholars such as Hafidh Ibn Hajar, Imam Suyuti and others when they permitted the celebration of the Mawlid.

By looking into the books of the Deobandi Ulama, we can sum up these evils and impermissible practices in the following:

1) A particular date (i.e. 12th of Rabi’ al-Awwal) is fixed,

2) Only the birth events of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) are discussed,

3) It is called a day of Eid, whilst Islam has only prescribed two Eids,

4) Celebrating the Mawlid is considered to be necessary,

5) Unlawful practices (such as intermingling of the sexes) take place.

If we were to look at the statements of those who support the celebration of Mawlid, it becomes clear that they also strongly condemn the various evils mentioned by the Deobandi scholars.

The great Sufi and Maliki scholar residing in Makkah al-Mukarramah, Sayyid Muhammad ibn Alawi al-Maliki (may Allah preserve him) states in his short treatise regarding celebrating the Mawlid, Hawl al-ihtifal bi zikra mawlid al-nabawi al-sharif:

“How many times have we stressed that the Messenger of Allah’s day of birth is not considered a Eid, neither do we regard it as a day of Eid, for it is a day greater and more virtuous than the day of Eid. Eid only comes once a year, whilst celebrating the birth of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) and mentioning his Sirah should be a constant thing, without restricting it to a particular time or place.” (P.8-9)

He further sates:

“We celebrate the birth of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) constantly and all the time, at every occasion and at every event of happiness and joy. This is increased in the month of his birth “Rabi’ al-Awwal” and the day of his birth “Monday”.
(P. 11)

He also states:

“One of the innovations (bid’a) of the Mawlid is that, it is practiced by some of those who celebrate it by carrying out unlawful activities, being negligent with prayers, involvement if Riba and not implementing the outward and inward Sunnahs of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace).” (P. 49)

And:

“One of the innovations that is practised in some countries is restricting the mention of the Messenger of Allah’s (Allah bless him & give him peace) sirah, characteristics, and praise, feeding others and carrying out other commendable actions to only the month of Rabi’ al-Awwal because of the birth of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace). However, it is necessary that these acts are not restricted to the month of Rabi’ only; rather, it is necessary (wajib) upon a Muslim that he carries out these good deeds constantly in every day of the month, for the mention of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) is not attached to a particular time….” (P. 50)

And:

“ If we met and mentioned the praises of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace), his struggles, his characteristics and did not even mention the story of his birth, to which people have become accustomed- to such an extent that they consider a Mawlid gathering incomplete without it….,we would have celebrated the Mawlid.” (P. 40)

We can see from the above quotes of Sayyid Muhammad ibn Alawi al-Maliki (may Allah preserve him) taken from his book which he compiled in support of the Mawlid (and should be read by those who reject the Mawlid totally), it becomes clear that there is agreement between what the scholars of Deoband say and those who celebrate Malwid. As such, there is no disagreement in reality.

In conclusion, we need to develop patience and sincerity in our efforts to bring about more tolerance in this world. Try to make differences seem non-existent. There is no real difference between the Deobandi scholars and the Barelwis, in that they both agree with the Mawlid and disagree with the evils and unlawful practices that are practiced by some.

Indeed, there are some ignorant Muslims who do practice the evils mentioned by the Deobandi scholars, but rather than refute their celebration of the Mawlid, Deobandis should strive and correct these practices. If they begin to refute the Mawlid altogether, then those who practice it will say that these are Wahhabis, etc, and won’t even reflect upon their unlawful actions. Conversely, if they support the Mawlid, there is a great chance of them correcting the evils. Thus, they should be given an alternative of pure and uncontaminated gathering of Mawlid in which the Sirah of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) is mentioned. A Gathering in which people are encouraged to implement the Sunnahs and characteristics of the beloved of Allah, whether you call it a Mawlid gathering or a Sirah gathering, for names are irrelevant. This is my sincere advice to the Deobandis.

As far as our Barelwi brothers are concerned, rather than arguing the rationality of Mawlid gatherings and trying to prove it, they should try and stamp out the evils practiced by some individuals. Explain to the masses that celebrating the Mawlid is not sufficient. One has to be a complete believer. One needs to implement the ways of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) in all aspects of one’s life. Use these Mawlid gatherings to spread the message.

If we do this, then, not only will we have a more harmonious relationship, but we will see Muslims becoming stronger in their faith and better Muslims as a whole. May Allah guide us all to the straight path. I seek forgiveness if I may have offended anybody. May Allah unite us and gather us all in Paradise, Ameen.

And Allah knows best

Muhammad ibn Adam
Darul Iftaa
Leicester , UK

Another site with more info >>>> By Mufti Taqi Uthmani (db)

S_87
04-03-2006, 02:42 PM

yeh but we solve the problems of the world not by going to individual problems but by going to the root..and when you establish islam, and shun bidah then problems are solved.

as for this hadith, ok i ran a search on abu lahab bukhari and theres not anything remotely close to the hadith provided. so if someone can find for me ...

fantastic piece on these 'hadiths'

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-03-2006, 02:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

yeh but we solve the problems of the world not by going to individual problems but by going to the root..and when you establish islam, and shun bidah then you get somewhere

as for this hadith, ok i ran a search on abu lahab bukhari and theres not anything remotely close to the hadith provided. so if someone can find for me ...

I did as well, using every keyword in that hadeeth. And its dodgy as well, it contradicts the Quran on the point of Abu Lahab getting water.

hamzaa
04-03-2006, 02:52 PM
salaam, we can discuss this till the cows come home, unfortunately hardening of the heart/lack of knowledge/shayateen and ignorance etc causes many muslims today in practicing innovations in religion. Allah(swt) knows best.

S_87
04-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Amani it says in a tafseer of the quran that i have that your are meant to celebrate it. and they wouldnt print a quran thats rong. so you believe what you want because all those who dont celebrate milad un nabi are against the quran. full stp.

which ayah they referring to and which tafsir? :D

------
04-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Yh I'll tell u wen I go home but to be honest, I'm not gonna force u 2 bleev it as I know its right as i have plenty of evidence and i am not going to waste time with people who are just going to contradict it. May Allah guide you people on the straight path. Ameen

S_87
04-04-2006, 12:43 PM

ok i look forward to hearing from which ayah this has been concluded from :thumbs_up

may Allah guide us all and keep us from bidah. Ameen

hidaayah
04-04-2006, 12:45 PM
i think its not correct..if the sahabah dint celebrate his birth y shud we..?? we aren't any more pious then them..
Ameen

S_87
04-04-2006, 12:53 PM

aah something else ...

This is a good answer by late Sheikh `Abd al-`Az&#238;z b. Baz Rahimullah

Celebrating the Prophet’s (peace be upon him) birthday is something wrong as it is an innovation. Neither the Prophet (peace be upon him) nor his Companions, nor the four prominent Caliphs, nor the three generations after them celebrated it and they were more knowledgeable and righteous than those who came after them and were more concerned with following the Sunnah.

A good question to ask those who wish to celebrate the birthday of the Prophet (peace be upon him) is this: On which day do you propose to celebrate it? There is no agreement as to when his birthday actually was. Some biographers have place it in Ramad&#226;n. Others said it was on the 8th of Rab&#238;’ al-Awwal. Still others have suggested the 12th. These are but a few of the suggestions that have been advanced. So how can you possibly hope to observe it? Or are you suggesting that his birth took place more than once?

The uncertainty surrounding the date of his birth is a sure sign that its observance is not part of our religion, for if it was, the Muslims would have taken care to know precisely when it took place.

Ghazi
04-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Salaam

If this was a part of the deen then every muslim would celebrate it.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Yh I'll tell u wen I go home but to be honest, I'm not gonna force u 2 bleev it as I know its right as i have plenty of evidence and i am not going to waste time with people who are just going to contradict it. May Allah guide you people on the straight path. Ameen

Yeah i really look forward to hearing which Surah and Verse, and which tafseer this is from. :rollseyes

------
04-04-2006, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

If this was a part of the deen then every muslim would celebrate it.

So the 1 billion muslims worldwide that celebrate it are not muslims?! Forget it, do what you think is right people and I will do what I think is right.

S_87
04-04-2006, 06:01 PM

sis 1 billion muslims do not celebrate it. even if they did, it doesnt make it + we are not making takfir on anyone. :)

whats the Quran ayah and tafsir??

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-04-2006, 06:06 PM

So the 1 billion muslims worldwide that celebrate it are not muslims?! Forget it, do what you think is right people and I will do what I think is right.

Sister that is not the attitude to keep. If we are saying something, and are backing it up with proofs, then please atleast approach it with an open mind and see if you agree. We asked you to prove your self and you brought forth a hadith which contradicted the Quran and it was refuted. Keeping an attitude that "i will do whatever my fathers did" is wrong. That is reason why the Arabs did not accept Islam at the time of the Prophet.

This celebration is an innovation and ir is proved by more then just several sources. All the major scholors agree that it is an innovation and NOT part of Islam, so what is keeping you averse to it when the Truth is right in front of you? Blind following of your elders?

This is sincere advice, and i ask you to please accept it with an open mind. Jazakallah Khair.

------
04-04-2006, 06:06 PM
whats the Quran ayah and tafsir??

Here.

Commentary by Kanzul Emaan

S3 : V124
S4 : V174
S5 : V15
S9 : V33
S9 : V128
S19 : V16

------
04-04-2006, 06:07 PM

Keeping an attitude that "i will do whatever my fathers did" is wrong.
Who the.... said i have that attitude?! U dont know me!

This is sincere advice, and i ask you to please accept it with an open mind.
I don't take a person's advice who I don't even know. I study the Qur'an and hadith myself and find out the truth.

Peace.

S_87
04-04-2006, 06:09 PM

JazakAllah khair sis but if im not mistaken... um lets just say thisll lead into sect talk...so before it does check this out
http://www.islamicboard.com/sects-di...m-details.html

+ what has any of those ayahs got to do with birthdays?

Z
04-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Salaam.

This is most crazy. I've seen birthday parties, but making a massive rally and walking around the entire town screaming versers and Durood and then finishing off with a huge banquet is not really a great way to celebrate anyone's birthday.

Nawal89
04-04-2006, 06:20 PM

I don't take a person's advice who I don't even know. I study the Qur'an and hadith myself and find out the truth.

Peace.

That is an ignorant statement. So just because you dont know this person, even though he's telling you the truth you wont take it? Astaghfirullah ukhtee. Have you even read thru all those articles they posted?

Maimunah
04-04-2006, 06:25 PM
All praise is due to Allaah, Who conferred a great favour on the believers when He sent them a Messenger from among themselves, rehearsing unto them the signs of Allaah, sanctifying them, and instructing them in the Scripture and Wisdom (i.e., the Qur'aan and Sunnah), while before that, they had been living their lives in manifest error. I testify that there is nothing worthy of worship except Allaah, with whom there are no associates. He is the Lord of the very first to the very last of creation. He has poured His bounties upon His servants in exceeding measures, and His Mercy overwhelms them, for He is the Most Merciful of those who show mercy.

I testify that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger, whom He sent to lead mankind out of the depths of darkness into light and complete His religion. Therefore, we must acknowledge that Allaah's Messenger sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam left no means that draw people near to Allaah and benefit them without directing them to it, nor did he leave any means that drive people away from the way of their Lord or bring harm upon them without warning them against it. Thus, he sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam left his nation on a clearly defined religion, which none deviate from except those who are destined to doom and destruction.

May Allaah bless him, his family, his companions and all those who follow them sincerely and correctly until the Day of Resurrection.

O people! Fear Allaah the Almighty and know that the greatest favour He has ever conferred upon His servants is sending them Prophets as warners and bearers of glad tidings. Allaah sent these prophets with scriptures so that He would judge between people in their disputes. The most effective and esteemed message of all of these was that of the Prophet Muhammad sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam whom Allaah sent to guide all of mankind - and to seal prophethood.

Allaah sent Muhammad sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam after a break in the series of His messengers, when people were in dire need of His guidance. It was through him that Allaah guided people after they were astray; united them after their disunity; and sufficed them after they were needy. They thus became brothers and supported the religion of Allaah, due to his grace and bounty. It was due to this that nations submitted to this religion and its adherents became a luminous series in the annals of history.

Due to the wholeheartedness of the early Muslims with regard to the comprehensive implementation of Allaah’s laws in personal issues, financial transactions, and social and community affairs in accordance with the precepts laid down by this religions guide and leader, Muhammad sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam, it naturally followed that they would be victorious in all their undertakings.

However, when the Muslims deviated from the correct path, the order and stability which they enjoyed collapsed, turning the Muslim nation into groups of disputing factions, whose enemies held as insignificant.

This nation will never regain its past power and dignity, nor will it re-live its glorious history, until and unless its people return to their religion and practice it in word as well as in deed, in compliance with the methodology of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam and his companions, may Allaah be pleased with them.

As a consequence of the comprehensive implementation of the religion of Islaam, no devotional act or religious ceremonies can be initiated into it unless it has a basis in the conduct of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam. Mankind have been commanded by Allaah to do no more than the following: to worship Allaah alone; to offer him sincere devotion; and to be true in faith. Thus, whoever attempts to worship Allaah with any act that He has not prescribed will have that act rejected by Him. The Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said: “He who performs any deed which is not according to what we are upon (i.e., the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam and his companions) then it is rejected.” Such acts are held as innovations in the sight of the lawgiver and every innovation is misguidance.

Among the innovations introduced into this religion is the celebration of the birthday of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam, which is celebrated in the month of Rabee’ Al-Awwal. People gather in the mosques or stay within their homes on the twelfth night of that month and send salutations upon the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam with innovated phrases as well as reciting laudatory poems and prose which concern him. These poems and prose are excessively commendatory and exceed the limits that were defined by the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam. Some people even spend their nights cooking certain types of food, to be served on this occasion. Thus, they uselessly spend their time and money in matters that are not prescribed either by Allaah or His Messenger sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam, nor were practiced by the four rightly-guided caliphs after him, nor any other of the Muslims who were from the first three distinct generations, whose merit was attested to by the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam.

If these innovations were of any benefit, then surely the pious early Muslims would have preceded us in them? If they were meritorious then surely Allaah would never have deprived the early Muslims, including the rightly-guided caliphs of them? The fact of the matter is that this practice was first introduced by people who lived during the fourth Hijri century.

Shaykh Al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah, may Allaah have mercy upon him, said in his book Iqtidaa’ As-Siraat Al-Mustaqeem Mukhaalafatu Ashaabu Al-Jaheem [The Implication of the Straightforward Way Is to Contradict the Companions of the Fire]: “Some people, due to their imitation of what the Christians do on the claimed birth-date of ‘Eesaa (Jesus), peace be upon him, or because of their love of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam or out of their wish to glorify him, celebrate the Prophet’s birthday. This is despite the fact that there is controversy among the scholars regarding the exact date of his birth. The early Muslims did not practice this, although there was good reason to honour and express their love of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam and no preventing factors existed. Thus, if the celebration of the Prophet’s birthday was something meritorious, they would have had a better right to precede us in this, as their love and esteem of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam was far greater than ours. Also, they were far keener to perform good deeds in general than we were.

Loving and esteeming the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam was thus represented by the early Muslims in following his methodology, obeying him, applying his Sunnah inwardly and outwardly, propagating his mission and striving in this cause with their hearts, bodies and tongues.

Most of those who instigate religious innovations are heedless when it comes to the application of the well-known principles that were brought by the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam. They are like those who ornament the Qur’aan but do not recite it, or recite it but do not follow its teachings.”

O Muslims! The innovation of celebrating the Prophet’s birthday, which is done on the twelfth night of the month of Rabee’ Al-Awwal, has no historical basis. In fact, historians have differed greatly on the actual birth date of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam. Some have said that it was on the second of Rabee’ Al-Awwal , others said the eighth, ninth, tenth, twelfth, seventeenth or twenty-second; thus making up seven different opinions. None of these opinions have any evidence which would make them take priority over others.

Moreover, the innovation of celebrating the birthday of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam has no religious basis. Neither the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam nor any of his Companions or the followers did so. In fact, the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said: “You must hold fast to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the four Rightly-Guided Caliphs – cling to it stubbornly. Beware of innovations, for every innovation is misguidance." (Abu Daawood, Tirmidhi).

Religious celebrations, festivals and other such occasions which glorify Allaah and His Messenger are acts of worship. Only that which Allaah has prescribed among these is considered to be from the pure Sharee’ah, or Islamic law. None of these events can be taken as a means of devotion to Allaah except those that have been sanctioned by Allaah and His Messenger sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam.

The Sharee’ah already contains the sufficient means with which a believer can glorify the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam and show his love to him. So fear Allaah, O servants of Allaah, and limit yourselves to Allaah’s obligations and the Prophet’s Sunnah, to the exclusion of innovations.

Allaah the Exalted and Almighty said that which translates as: “And verily this is my Straight Path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His Path. This; He has ordained for you that you may become the pious.” (Al An’aam: 153).

may allah guide everyone and may he make us among the "the company of those on whom is the Grace of Allah,- of the prophets (who teach), the sincere (lovers of Truth), the witnesses (who testify), and the Righteous (who do good): Ah! what a beautiful fellowship!":)
wasalaam:)

------
04-04-2006, 06:28 PM
You people do understand that by celebration I meant a gathering in the house and singing naats (nasheeds) in urdu and praising the Prophet? Thats it?

Maimunah
04-04-2006, 06:29 PM
You people do understand that by celebration I meant a gathering in the house and singing naats (nasheeds) in urdu and praising the Prophet? Thats it?
did the prophet or the sahaba did this??

------
04-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Whats rong with praising the Prophet with a group of people? Nothing.

Z
04-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Salaam.

Course there's nothing wrong with it. So why not do it this weekend and not wait for that certain night/day/whatever.

------
04-04-2006, 06:33 PM
I respect your beliefs brothers and sisters and I will try and act upon it.

Peace :thumbs_up

Maimunah
04-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Whats rong with praising the Prophet with a group of people? Nothing.
there's nothing wrong in praisin the prophet bt my quetsion is did the prophet or the sahaba celebrate his birthday?

------
04-04-2006, 06:34 PM
I don't know.

Maimunah
04-04-2006, 06:53 PM
I don't know.
then u shouldn't do things that u aint sure sis coz a good muslims is he who leaves things that isn't clear. halal is clear n haram is clear n in between it there are doubtful matters so get away from those doubtful matters, this is ma advice to u sis. n may allah guide us.

------
04-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Ok Jazakallah sis :sister:

Khaldun
04-05-2006, 01:09 PM

This is not what the word celebrating means, rather this infact is following the sunnah of the Prophet salalahu alyhi wassalam.

And brother Ashiq Rasuls article is a nice read, however the fact remains none of the Companions celebrated this day. And as for the other "innovations" mentioned in the hadith, it is not befitting for the Companions of the Messenger of Allah to make innovations rather they have knowledge of what they do. And this is why Allah in His infinite Wisedom has said about them.

And (as for) the foremost, the first of the Muhajirs and the Ansars, and those who followed them in goodness, Allah is well pleased with them and they are well pleased with Him, and He has prepared for them gardens beneath which rivers flOw, to abide in them for ever; that is the mighty achievement.[Surah Tawbah Ayah 100]

The fact remains that it indeed is a innovation, as it cant be found to have basis anywhere wether in this article neither anywhere else. May Allah guide us all to the sunnah of His Messenger. And with that.

:threadclo

Tilmeez
04-07-2006, 05:00 AM
I believe it is hight time to Post this .... Hope it will lead us to the path of righteous ... :inshallah:
format_quote Originally Posted by Tilmeez
:sl: :brother:s n :sister:s

It is not permissible to celebrate the birthday of the Apostle (May the blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), or somebody else. In fact, it must be stopped, as it is an innovation in the religion. The Apostle of Allah (Peace be upon him - PBUH) neither celebrated it, nor commanded others to do this for himself or for any one who died before him amongst the Prophets, for his daughters his wives, or his other relatives.

The rightly guided Caliphs, the Companions of the Prophet or the successors who rightly followed them did not celebrate this event, nor did any one of the Muslim scholars in the centuries before. They knew the Sunnah of the Prophet best, they loved him more, and followed the Shari'a better than those who came after them. If celebrating his birthday was a good deed, they would have done it.

We are commanded to follow and forbidden to innovate. This is because of the perfection of the Islamic religion, the sufficiency of what Allah and His Messenger (PBUH) have given us and what was accepted by Ahl-al-Sunna wal-jama'at (the Muslim community of the Companions and those who followed them in the best way).

It is related to the Prophet (PBUH) that he said: "He who innovates something in this matter of ours that is not of it, will have it rejected." (Transmitted by Al-Bukhari and Muslim). According to Muslim who reported: "Whoever does an act which is not in agreement with our matter, will have it rejected." In another tradition the Prophet (PBUH) said: "You must keep to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly-guided Caliphs, cling to it firmly... Beware of newly invented matters, for every new matter is an innovation and every innovation is misleading."

He (PBUH) used to say in every Friday sermon: "The best discourse is the Book of Allah and the best guidance is the guidance of Muhammad the Apostle of Allah, and the worst matter is that of innovation and every innovation is misleading. Thus, these traditions contain a strong caution against innovations and a warning that such an act is a deviation from the right course." The Prophet (PBUH) warned the people of the gravity of these innovations and of their bad consequences. There are many traditions adduced in this connection.

And the Almighty has said: "...And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad) gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain ( from it).." (S.59 A.7)

Allah, Most High said: "And let those who oppose the Messenger's commandment (i.e. his sunnah: legal way, orders, acts of worship, statements, etc.), (from among the sects) beware, lest some Fitnah (disbelief, trials, afflictions, earthquakes, killing, overpowered by a tyrant, etc.) befall them of a painful torment be inflicted on them." (S.24 A.63)

Allah, the Almighty said: "Indeed in the Messenger of Allah (Muhammad) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes in (the Meeting with) Allah and the Last Day and remembers Allah much." (S.33 A.21)

And Allah the Almighty said: "And the first to embrace Islam of the Muhajiroon (those who migrated from Makka to al-Madina) and the Ansar (the citizens of al-Madina who helped and gave aid to the Muhajiroon) and also who followed them exactly (in Faith), Allah is well-pleased with them as they are well-pleased with Him. He has prepared for them Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise), to dwell therein forever. That is the supreme success." (S.9 A.100)

And Allah, the Almighty said: "This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion." (S.5 A.3). This verse decisively indicates that the Almighty Allah has completed the religion for this Ummah, and has showered His blessings on them.

His Prophet (PBUH) passed away only after he had imparted the complete message of Allah to the Ummah as well as His legislations concerning sayings and deeds. He also stressed that all things invented by people and then attributed to the religion of Islam are innovations and to be rejected, even if their inventors did so in good faith.

It is established that the Companions of the Prophet (PBUH) and the righteous successors after them warned the people against innovations as they add to Islam and legislate what is not permitted by Allah, in line with the enemies of Allah such as the Jews and the Christians who added to their religion and innovated what was not allowed by Allah.

Moreover, to admit innovation in Islam is to describe it as incomplete and imperfect. Such a belief is not only an evil but contradicts the following verse: "This day, I have perfected your religion for you...." and the sayings of the Prophet (PBUH) which warn us against innovations.

To celebrate the anniversary of the birth of Prophet (PBUH) and the others, means that the Religion is not perfected by Allah (the Glorious, the Almighty) for this Ummah, and the Apostle did not impart to the people what was necessary regarding their religious duties, till these late ones appeared and invented in the religion what is not permitted by Allah, thinking that this would bring them nearer to Allah.

Undoubtedly, this is a great danger and is tantamount to criticizing Allah the Almighty and the Prophet (PBUH): whereas Allah the Almighty has already completed the religion and perfected His grace, and the Prophet (PBUH) has conveyed the message openly and informed the Ummah of all such ways that will lead them to the Paradise and save them from Hell-fire.

According to an authentic Hadith, on the authority of Abdullah bin Amr bin Al-As the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: "Allah Ta'ala (the Almighty) did not send a prophet but obliged him to lead his people to the best way which is known to him, and warn them against the worst which is known to him. (Transmitted by Muslim).

It is well-known that our Prophet (PBUH) is the best of all the Prophets, the last and the most perfect of them regarding the way he conveyed the message and advised his people. Had the celebration of Milaad been an act of religion chosen by Allah for His servants, the Prophet (PBUH) would have either explained that to his people, would have celebrated it during his life, or his Companions would have done it.

As these did not happen, it becomes clear that Islam has no concern with Milaad. On the contrary, it is one of the innovations against which the Prophet (PBUH) has warned his people as mentioned earlier. A host of scholars have not only rejected the celebration of Milaad but have warned against it in view of the evidences given above.

According to the rule of the Islamic Shari'a all matters regarding legalization or prohibition and all disputes among the people, should be referred to the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (PBUH) in line with the saying of Allah:

A. "O you who believe! Obey Allah and obey the Messenger (Muhammad ), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority, (and) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger (PBUH) if you believe in Allah and in the Last Day. That is better and more suitable for final determination." (S.4 A.59)

B. "And in whatsoever you differ, the decision thereof is with Allah (He is the Ruling Judge)." (S.42 A.10)

Referring this issue back to the Book of Allah, we find it ordaining upon us to follow the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) in his commandments and warning us against what ever he prohibits. Furthermore it tells us that Allah has perfected the religion for the people. So, as long as Milaad is not among the teachings of the Prophet (PBUH), it cannot be a part of the religion which Allah has perfected for us and asked us to adhere to by following the Prophet (PBUH).

Again when we refer this issue back to the Sunnah, of the Messenger of Allah , we do not find either the Prophet (PBUH) or the Companions doing it by themselves or asking others to do it. So it becomes evident that Milaad is not a part of religion, rather one of innovations and blind imitation of the people of the book, i. e. the Jews and the Christians in their festivals. With this argument in mind, it becomes crystal clear for everyone having the least insight and inclination towards truth and justice, that celebrating any birthday has nothing to do with Islam. It is rather among the innovations which Allah and His Messenger warned against emphatically.

A wise man must not be deceived by seeing a large number of people doing it throughout the world because the truth is known and recognized by the evidences of Shari'a and not by the acts of a great number of people. Allah Ta'ala (the Almighty) says regarding the Jews and the Christians: "And they say, 'None shall enter Paradise unless he be a Jew or a Christian.' These are their own desires. Say (Muhammad) 'Produce your proof if you are truthful.' " (S.2 A.111)

And the Almighty also said: "And if you obey most of those on earth, they will mislead you far away from Allah's Path. They follow nothing but conjectures, and they do nothing but lie." (S.6 A.116)

Most of these innovations, in addition to their innovatory nature, also do not usually escape from a number of other evils, such as mixed gatherings of men and women, songs accompanied by musical instruments. drinking intoxicants, narcotics and the like. They may also involve the worst thing i. e. the greatest Shirk (polytheism), through showing exaggeration in the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) and other saints and through praying to him, invoking his help or believing that he knows what is hidden and all similar claims which render a believer as an infidel.

It is authentically reported that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) has said: "Beware of extravagance in the Religion: It has caused the people before you to perish." He also said: "Do not lavish praise on me as the Christians did with the son of Maryam (Jesus, the son of Mary) . I am just a bondman. So Simply say: The bondman of Allah and His Messenger." (Transmitted by Bukhari)

It is curious to note that a great many people participate most actively in these celebrations and defend them vehemently, while they sit back from attending the obligatory forms of worship such as daily and Friday prayers. They are not even ashamed of this, nor do they realize that they are committing a great evil. Undoubtedly, this shows the weakness of their faith, their short-sightedness, and the deeply ingrained rust on their hearts because of sins and disobedience. We ask Allah's protection for us and for all the Muslims.

It is even more astonishing to note that some people believe that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) is present at Milaad. Consequently they stand to greet and welcome him. That is not only a sheer lie but a worst form of ignorance, as the Prophet (PBUH) shall neither come out of his grave before the Day of Resurrection, nor shall he meet the people or attend their meetings. Instead, he shall remain in his grave till the Day of Resurrection while his soul rests at the highest of the high with his Lord in the most exalted and highest place.

Allah Ta'ala (The Almighty) says: "After that, surely, you will die. Then (again), you will be ressurrected on the Day of Ressurection." (S.23 A.15 & A.16). And the Prophet (PBUH) said: "I am the first one to rise from the grave on the Day of Resurrection and I will be the first intercessor and the first one whose intercession is to be accepted".

The aforesaid evidences from the Qur'an and Hadith prove beyond doubt that the dead people will come out of their graves only on the Day of Resurrection. All the scholars of Islam agree upon this. A Muslim should be aware of these things and must not be easily misled by the innovations and the superstitions created by the ignorant people with no authority from Allah at all.

As for offering the blessings and greetings (Salat and Salam) to the Prophet (PBUH), they are among the most preferred and virtuous deeds in accordance with the saying of Allah: "Allah sends His Salat (Graces, Honours, Blessings, Mercy, etc.) on the Prophet (Muhammad) and also His angels too (ask Allah to bless and forgive him). O you who Believe! Send you Salat on (ask Allah to bless) him (Muhammad), and (you should) greet (salute) him with the Islamic way of greeting (salutation i.e. As-Salaamu-Alaikum)." (S.33 A.56)

The Prophet (PBUH) has said: "Whosoever sends blessings on me one time, Allah sends blessings on him ten times." It is prescribed on all times, particularly at the end of each prayer. It is held obligatory at last Tashahud of each prayer by most of the scholars. It is strongly required at a number of occasions such as immediately after Adhaan (the call to Prayers), at the mention of the name of the Prophet , during the day of Friday and the night preceding it according to a host of Ahadith.

This is what I wanted to emphasize regarding this issue. I hope it will satisfy everyone whom Allah has shown the light. How sad it is to see some devoted Muslims, known for their strength of faith and love for the Prophet (PBUH) organizing such innovatory celebrations.

Let us ask such people: "Tell us, if you belong to Ahl-as-Sunna and follow the Prophet , whether he himself or one of his Companions or their successors did this or is it no more than a blind following of the enemies of Islam from among the Jews and the Christians and the like?

The love of the Prophet (PBUH) is not reflected by the celebration on his birthday, but by obeying him, believing in his teachings, keeping away from what he prohibited and by worshipping Allah in the way he prescribed for us. It is also reflected through offering Salat and Salam to him from time to time, particularly at the mention of his name and during prayers.

May Allah help us and all the Muslims to understand His religion, to continually confirm us on it, stick to Sunnah and keep away from the innovation. Indeed He is Generous and Kind. And May Allah Shower His blessings and mercy upon our Prophet Muhammad, his Posterity and his Companions.

[Summarized from an article by late Shaikh `Abdul `Aziz bin `Abdullaah bin Baaz (May Allah have mercy on him)

Slave of Rehman
04-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Jazakallah brother!
May Allah (s.w.t) give you more that u understand proper meaning of Bidah.

The sayings of the Companions

Abdullaah ibn Umar (RA) states,
"every innovation is misguidance, even if the people regard it as good."
(ad-Daarimee)
This narration is enough to demolish the concept of 'a good bid'ah', for you have amongst the most knowledgeable companions of Muhammad (SAW) saying the exact opposite. So who do you choose to follow, ibn Umar or these modern day Shaykhs and Mullahs who are Imaams of their own whims and desires.

Abdullaah ibn Abbaas (RA) said,
"do not sit with the people of innovation, for verily their sittings are a sickness for the hearts"
[ash-Sharee'ah pg 65 of al-Aajurree (d.360)]
Mu'aadh bin Jabal (RA) used to say, whenever he sat in a circle of knowledge,
"…and I warn you of what is innovated, for all that is innovated is misguidance"
[ash-Sharee'ah pg.55, also Abu Dawood with similar wording]
Abdullaah ibn Mas'ud (RA) said,
"follow the sunnah of Muhammad and do not innovate, for what you have been commanded is enough for you."
[ad-Daarimee]
Hudhayfah bin al-Yaman said,
"every act of worship that the Companions did not do, do not do it"
[Abu Dawood]
Is this not enough? That the Companions tell us to follow the way of Muhammad (SAW) and not to make up new ways of worship? "whomsoever Allaah guides to the truth, none can misguide him, and whomsoever Allaah misguides, none can guide"! [Muslim]

north_malaysian
04-10-2006, 04:51 AM
Tomorrow, it's a public holiday all over Malaysia.

Tonight, mosques will be decorated with colourful lights (except Salafi mosques), faithfuls would assembled after Isya' Prayer to hear talks about Prophet Muhammad history. In the mean time, the cooks will prepare for feasts in mosques' kitchens. Then everybody would have delightful meal after the talks. After that, especially old folks would recite or sing Marhaban or Barzanji (praising Prophet Muhammad).

In the morning, main cities will have processions where all government departments, private sectors, school children would go down the main streets to 'salawat' (praising Prophet Muhammad) and holding banners praising Prophet Muhammad (I think this year, it would even more praising the prophet after the caricatures incident).

Live telecast of procession in Kuala Lumpur could be watched on all national tv stations. It ended up usually in a stadium, where Koranic recitation, Nashid, poetry praising Prophet Muhammad and a talk on Prophet Muhammad is being done.

Tomorrow, all tv stations would have Islamic programs on tv including story about Prophet Muhammad.

How about your country?:thankyou:

Khaldun
04-10-2006, 05:03 AM

What will happen the day after tomorow? Will the Masajids still be decorated? Will people listen to talks after Isha Prayer? Are the old going to carry on sending salutations upon our beloved Prophet salalahu alyhi wassalam?

Who will recite the Quran after this day, and remember the Prophet? or have we become like the christians who remember the Prophet of Allah once or twice a year? Are we going to see anymore shows about the life of the Prophet on tv after tomorow?

Putting aside the question wether its allowed or not to celebrate this day (see http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...d-un-nabi.html ) the question still arises, who will be steadfast upon the Religion of Allah the day after tomorow?

Tilmeez
04-10-2006, 06:00 AM
read the link brother Khaldun has mentioned... One strange thing about the Millad is nearly all authentic historian agree that birthday of Prophet (Saw) is 9th of Rabiulawal while confirm day of his death is 12th of Rabiulawal.... if so then what we are celebrating??? Secondly in Khair ul Koroon (Best eras, of Khulafa and their after Tabaeen) there were no such celebrations... did they not love the Prophet or we love prophet more than them????

"..MariAm.."
04-10-2006, 06:59 AM
um celebrating milaad-un-nabi as we call it the birhtday of PROPHET (saw) is wrong do u know the exact date ?? there is no confirm date for the birth of Prophet(SAW) and have u ever heard that the sahaba ikraam the followers of Prophet celebrated Prophet's birthday or Death ??? have u ever heard that they decorated the city, their mosques with green lights and flags as now adays people do ?? i dont think so!
and first of all did PROPHET MUHAMMAD (SAW) celebrated his birhtday himself ? i dont think so ..........
well here in my country pakistan and city karachi .............people waist their time in decorating all the houses and every possible corner they can get with green lights ..... and then they start reciting naats till fajr prayers time ..... ! is this correct ?
jazakullah
wasalam

Mawaddah
04-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Milaad ur Rasul is a total bid'ah. However I'm curious that there are Salafi Mosques in Malaysia? In which place is this Brother north_malaysian?

Well back to the point, the only way which we should be celebrating the Prophets birthday is by fasting. A man came to the Prophet peace be upon him and asked him concerning fasting on Mondays so the Prophet replied "That is the day on which I was born" So :) fasting is enough Insha'allah. Other than that is a complete waste.

How do we celebrate it here in the Bahamas? Muslims here are so few that It goes by unnoted actually lol :p

S_87
04-10-2006, 08:55 PM

masjids light up..fairy lights those tacky flaggy things. holidays for madrassa.
big march in blackburn :rolleyes: like whats a march gonna do? :-\

azim
04-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Salam.

I didn't know it was the birthday of the Prophet (pbuh) ... I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

It seems quite clear that celebrating his (pbuh) birthday is Bidah ... although it's a good time to at least remind ourselves of our love for the Prophet and try to increase it.

Sunni Student
10-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Can somebody please difeine Bidah for me and where this definition is established from, (p.s this is related to the topic of Milad-un-Nabi)

SilentAssassin
10-31-2006, 06:10 PM
bid'a basically means innovation, anything added on to the religion. Any islamic belief or act of worship that has been created by man but not practised by the prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and his companions. It is a grave sin and as the prophet(peace be upon him) said "Every innovation is a misguidance and every misguidance is in the hellfire.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-31-2006, 06:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sunni Student
Can somebody please difeine Bidah for me and where this definition is established from, (p.s this is related to the topic of Milad-un-Nabi)

See this post:

http://www.islamicboard.com/543639-post6.html

khurm
11-02-2006, 12:16 PM
salam my brothers and sisters in islam sunni student i have something to say to u if u dont know what the religion says then please do not say things like eid milad un nabi is allowed because it isn't the prophet did not do it neither did the companiomns do it.

Eid Milad UN NABI

Question: We celebrate the birthday of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). On this day, we read a lot of salutations on him and engage in a lot of prayers to Allah. We try to show our love for our Prophet (peace be upon him). How come you say we cannot do it?

Answered by Sheikh `Abd al-`Az&#238;z b. `Abd Allah b. Muhammad &#194;l al-Sheikh, Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia

Among the innovations that have become widespread in Muslim societies is the celebration of the birthday of the Prophet (peace be upon him). This celebration is observed in the month of Rab&#238;` al-Awwal. Since it has become such a widespread problem in these days, I see it as necessary to address this issue here.

A basic principle of this religion is to worship Allah strictly in accordance with the manner that He stipulates to us in the Qur’&#226;n and Sunnah. This is why the scholars say that acts of worship are restricted to what is defined by the sacred texts. A person should not try to attain nearness to Allah by means that he concocts in his mind or takes from other human beings, no matter who they are. Such acts are unlawful innovations and they are rejected no matter how noble the intentions might be of the person doing them.

For this reason Ibn Mas`&#251;d observed: “How many people intend good but never actually attain it.” He made this statement to a group of people who were glorifying Allah in various ways and keeping track of their efforts using pebbles. He forbade them from doing so and they said to him: “We only intend good.” So Ibn Mas`&#251;d said to them what he said.

There is another established principle that scholars of Islam are well aware of. It is the principle of referring all disputes back to the Qur’&#226;n and Sunnah. What we find therein we must act upon. What we do not find in these two sources we should not adopt as a means to worship Allah.

Allah says: “If you differ in anything among yourselves, refer it to Allah and His Messenger, if you do believe in Allah and the Last Day. That is best, and most suitable for final determination.” [S&#251;rah al-Nis&#226;’: 59]

He also says: “Whatever the Messenger gives you, then take it, and whatever he prohibits you, abstain from it.” [S&#251;rah al-Hashr: 7]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever works a deed that is not part of our affair will have that deed rejected.” [Sah&#238;h al-Bukh&#226;r&#238; (8/156) and Sah&#238;h Muslim (3/1343-1344)]

He also said: “Whoever introduces something new into this affair of ours that is not of it will have it rejected.” [Sah&#238;h al-Bukh&#226;r&#238; (3/167) and Sah&#238;h Muslim (3/1343)]

This principle is well established and understood by the scholars of Islam. From here, we can return to the topic of celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (peace be upon him).

We find that some later scholars viewed the practice favorably while others condemned it and declared it an unlawful innovation in matters of religion. Here we have a dispute. Therefore, we must follow our principle of referring our disputes back to Allah and His Messenger (peace be upon him).

When we do so, we find no indication of this practice in the Qur’&#226;n nor in the Sunnah. There is no indication that the Prophet (peace be upon him) ever celebrated his birthday or encouraged anyone else to do so.

There is no evidence that anyone celebrated his birthday during the sixty-three years of his life. His Companions had the most ardent love possible for him. They revered him more than anyone else. They also had a better appreciation of what Allah and His Messenger (peace be upon him) wanted from them and went to the greatest lengths to defend their Prophet and their faith. They were keen on emulating the Prophet (peace be upon him) in every matter, great or small. They faithfully preserved every detail of his life for posterity. They even mentioned how his beard moved when he commenced his prayers. There is no way they would have failed to mention the observance of his birthday if it had even once taken place.

When we look at the preferred centuries that followed his death, we see that no one celebrated his birthday, not even his most beloved Companions. It was not observed by any of his family members, or by the Rightly Guided Caliphs, namely Ab&#251; Bakr, `Umar, Uthm&#226;n, and Al&#238;. It was an unknown practice for the first three centuries of Islam.

Observing this day is prohibited in Islamic Law, since it has not been legislated by Allah and His Messenger (peace be upon him). Therefore, it cannot be something beloved to Allah and cannot be used as a means of attaining nearness to Him. It is clearly an innovated practice, completely unknown to the best generations of Muslims who ever lived.

It is an historical fact that the earliest generations of Muslims did not celebrate the Prophet’s birthday. This is not called into question by anyone, even those who advocate celebrating it.

The Prophet’s birthday was first celebrated by the Fatimid rulers of Egypt in the fourth century of Islam. The Fatimids were a deviant sect of Ism&#226;`&#238;l&#238; Shiites. They were adherents to the idea of hidden doctrines and were known for their heresies and open unbelief, not to mention a host of other religious innovations. They were definitely not a group of people to take as role models.

Moreover, we should keep in mind that Allah has perfected His religion for us and completed His favor. Allah says: “This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favor upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.” [S&#251;rah al-M&#226;’idah: 3]

Introducing a new practice like this birthday observation is tantamount to second-guessing Allah. It implies that the religion has not been perfected and completed by Allah and people had to come later on with supplementary practices. This is a denial of the direct word of the Qur’&#226;n.

Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said: “There has never been a Messenger before me except that it was his duty to teach his people what was best for them.” [Sah&#238;h Muslim (3/1372-1373)]

There can be no doubt that our Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), being the final and most noble of all the Prophets, carried out this duty to the greatest degree. It follows that if celebrating his birthday was a good practice for us, then he would have initiated it and encouraged it. How is it then that not a single statement has been conveyed to us from the Prophet (peace be upon him) on this matter? There clearly can be no good in this practice and it most definitely cannot be a means of worshipping Allah.

A good question to ask those who wish to celebrate the birthday of the Prophet (peace be upon him) is this: On which day do you propose to celebrate it? There is no agreement as to when his birthday actually was. Some biographers have place it in Ramad&#226;n. Others said it was on the 8th of Rab&#238;’ al-Awwal. Still others have suggested the 12th. These are but a few of the suggestions that have been advanced. So how can you possibly hope to observe it? Or are you suggesting that his birth took place more than once?

The uncertainty surrounding the date of his birth is a sure sign that its observance is not part of our religion, for if it was, the Muslims would have taken care to know precisely when it took place.

Assuming it took place some time in the month of Rab&#238;` al-Awwal, well so did his death. It does not appear that anyone is seriously suggesting that we should mourn in this month on account of his death, though it is no less appropriate that we do so than celebrating his birth.

This is clear to anyone who cares to look at the matter closely and objectively. However, blind following of tradition has confused the issue for many people. The celebration of the Prophet’s birthday has brought with it a number of ill consequences that help to show just how far removed from the truth it is.

Among these consequences is that some people believe that celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (peace be upon him) is a means of worshipping Allah. We have already clarified the principle that all acts of worship must be established by the Qur’&#226;n and Sunnah.

A number of things go on at these celebrations that violate Islamic beliefs. Among the most serious of these are the exaggerated words of praise that are offered by some people to the Prophet (peace be upon him). Many of these praises elevate the Prophet (peace be upon him) to the level of Godhood.

Take, for instance, the following words of praise penned by al-B&#251;s&#238;r&#238;:
"O Most Noble of Creation! I seek refuge with none other than you when general calamity befalls us."

This is serious. Where is mention of the Lord of the heavens and the Earth? Where is mention of the Beneficent, the Merciful? How can we seek refuge with no one besides the Prophet (peace be upon him) in our distress when we should be seeking it with no one other than Allah?

In another place, he writes about the Prophet (peace be upon him):
"From your magnanimity is the milk of the Earth and from your knowledge is the tablet and the pen of decree."

We must have no doubt that these attributes are the exclusive domain of Allah. Applying them to the Prophet (peace be upon him) is blatant polytheism, a sin that Allah tells us He will not forgive.

Moral decency also has a tendency to break down during these celebrations. Men mix with women and dance with them all night long. Licentious people take full advantage of the permissive atmosphere that these festivities offer.

Another negative consequence of these celebrations is the fact that some people condemn those who do not participate, sometimes to the extent of declaring those people unbelievers. This is clearly from Satan who has made the hearts of those people so enamored of deviance and innovations that they would take matters to this extent. First, they initiate an innovative practice in their religion. Then they make it their practice. Ultimately, they declare as unbelievers anyone who refuses to participate in it with them.

Some of the people who advocate these celebrations claim to have evidence to support them. Some of their evidence comes from authentic texts which they take out of context or misinterpret. Other evidence is simply weak and unauthentic.

Some of them quote the verse: “Say: In the bounty of Allah and His mercy let them rejoice”. [S&#251;rah Y&#251;nus: 58]

They advance the argument with this verse that rejoicing in the Prophet (peace be upon him) is commanded by Allah, since Allah commanded us to rejoice in His mercy and the Prophet (peace be upon him) is the greatest manifestation of this mercy. For this latter claim they cite: “We sent you not but as a mercy to all humanity.” [S&#251;rah al-Anbiy&#226;’: 107]

In response, we argue that none of the early scholars ever had such an understanding of this verse. If this interpretation was sound, they would have mentioned it. Such an unfounded interpretation, therefore, must be rejected. Actually, the bounty and mercy mentioned to in the verse refer to Islam and the Sunnah. This was the gist of the interpretations provided by the earliest scholars as is elucidated by Ibn al-Qayyim in his work Ijtim&#226;` al-Juy&#251;sh al-Isl&#226;miyyah `al&#226; Ghazw al-Mu`attilah wal-Jahmiyyah.

As for the second verse mentioned in their argument, it pertains to the sending of the Prophet (peace be upon him) with the Message and not to his birth. The events were forty years apart. Every text that describes the Prophet (peace be upon him) with the attribute of mercy refers to him after he received the Message. There is no text that describes his birth as a mercy. Therefore, the above argument collapses.

Some of them argue that the Prophet (peace be upon him) performed an `aq&#238;qah ceremony for himself. Al-Suy&#251;t&#238; is one of the people who advances this argument in support of observing his birthday.

The difficulty with this argument is that the had&#238;th in question, which is to be found in Sunan al-Bayhaq&#238;, is unauthentic and rejected by the scholars of had&#238;th. When M&#226;lik was asked about it, he said: “Did you see the Companions who did not have an `aq&#238;qah ceremony performed for them in the time of ignorance perform such ceremonies for themselves after accepting Islam? This is abjectly false!”

The had&#238;th contains `Abd Allah b. Muharrir, who is a weak narrator, in its chain of transmission. `Abd al-Razz&#226;q mentions this had&#238;th in his Musannaf, then comments: “The only reason they abandoned Ibn al-Muharrir is on account of this had&#238;th.” When someone mentioned this had&#238;th to Ahmad, he renounced it and called `Abd Allah b. Muharrir a weak narrator. [Mas&#226;’il Ab&#238; D&#226;w&#251;d]

Al-Bayhaq&#238; - the one who collected this had&#238;th - had this to say: “`Abd Allah b. Muharrir relates a false had&#238;th about the Prophet (peace be upon him) performing an `aq&#238;qah for himself.” Then al-Bayhaq&#238; narrates the had&#238;th and says: “`Abd al-Razz&#226;q says that the only reason they abandoned `Abd Allah b. al-Muharrir is on account of this had&#238;th. It has been related with other chains of transmission from Qat&#226;dah and Anas, but those transmissions also do not amount to anything.” [Sunan al-Bayhaq&#238; (9/300)]

Al-Nawaw&#238; also declared this had&#238;th to be false. This is sufficient to show its unsuitability as evidence for celebrating the Prophet’s birthday.

All the other arguments offered by those who advocate such celebrations are equally baseless. They are as Allah describes: “They follow nothing but conjecture and what their own souls desire, even though there has already come to them guidance from their Lord!” [S&#251;rah al-Najm: 23]

The advocates of these celebrations are merely chasing after ambiguities, a practice Allah attributes to people of deviation.

It should now be clear to us that such celebrations are innovations that are not sanctioned by Allah. In fact, they resemble the behavior of the Christians who concoct numerous celebrations and festivals for themselves. This is an indication of a paucity of knowledge and a lack of true religious conviction.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) told us that we would eventually imitate them when he said: “You will follow the ways of who came before you more and more until, if one of them were to enter into a lizard hole, you would go in after him.” [Musnad Ahmad (2/511) and Sah&#238;h al-Bukh&#226;r&#238; (8/151)]

We pray to Allah to bless us and all the Muslims with guidance and success

sunni student read this and i hope u will understand it .

Umm Yoosuf
11-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaahi Wa Barakatuh

The Prophet, saaws, said: "I am leaving you two things and you will never go astray as long as you cling to them -- they are the Book of Allah and my Sunnah." [Reported by Al- Haakim - Sahih].

"The best of people is my generation, then those who come after them, then those who come after them (i.e. the first three generations of Muslims)." [Reported by Bukhari and Muslim- Mutawaatir. Muslim, Narrated 'Aisha - Shaykh Al Albaanee declares it Hasan in Saheeh Al Jaami' no.3288].

"The best of people are my generation, then the second, then the third, then there will come a people, having no good in them." [[related by Ibn Mas'ood] [Tabaraanee in Al-Kabeer] Shaykh Al Albaanee declares it to be Hasan. See Silsilatul Ahaadeeth ad-Da'eefah no.3569, and Saheeh Al Jaami' no. 3293.]

"My Ummah will not unite upon error." [Reported by at-Tirmidhee and Haakim - Sahih]

The best of people are my generation, then those who follow after them, then those who follow after them, then there will come after them a people who will be fat, and they will love obesity, bearing witness before being asked to."[related by the Umars, sons of Husayn(r)] [Tirmidthee, authenticated by Imaam Al Haakim] Shaykh Al Albaanee declares it to be Saheeh. See Silsilatul Ahaadeeth As-Saheehah no. 699, and Saheeh Al Jaami' no. 3294.

Now if the generation of the Prophet pbuh and that which followed after them and then those after them were the best and the prohet commanded us to follow them why would they plant something which the Prophet wouldn't have approved? Allaah mentions the station and virtue of the Sahaabah in the Quran, that Allaah was pleased with them, and the necessity of following in their way subhan Allah.

And whoever contradicts and opposes the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) after the right path has been shown clearly to him, and follows other than the believers' way. We shall keep him in the path he has chosen, and burn him in Hell - what an evil destination.
An-Nisa (4):115

From Shaikh Al-Albani:

There is a hadith Al-Irabaad ibn Sariyah (ra), (which he (the shaikh) shorted menting only the part relvelant to the discussion)

"So stick to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided Khaleefahs after me"

The Prophet pbuh did not say "stick to my Sunnah" only but rather he pbuh connected to his sunnah, the Sunnah of the rightly guided Khaleefahs.

The shaikh makes a connection between this Ayaah And whoever contradicts and opposes the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) after the right path has been shown clearly to him, and follows other than the believers' way. We shall keep him in the path he has chosen, and burn him in Hell - what an evil destination.
An-Nisa (4):115 and this hadiths "So stick to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided Khaleefahs after me" and advices us this

So we should follow the way of the Believers. The believers of the past. The Salaf!

The Sunnah can be divided into three
1. The Prophet pbuh sayings
2. Action
3.His approvels

Who transmitted all this? The Salaf! The Salaf are the best because they understood the Quran from the best of creation the Messenger of Allah.

I advice you to download this site, print it and read it insha Allah.

http://www.al-ibaanah.com/cms/pdf_files/50.pdf

Shaikh Saalih al-Fawzaan - may Allaah preserve him - said, The reasons for disunity are many. From amongst the main causes are: Firstly, opposing the Manhaj (methodology) of the Salaf, the Companions of Allaah's Messenger and those who follow them. So the Salaf had a Manhaj that they adhered to; a Manhaj in aqeedah (creed), a Manhaj in da'wah (calling to Allaah), a Manhaj in enjoining good and forbidding evil, a Manhaj in how to judge between people. This Manhaj, in all situations, was based upon the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of our Messenger . [Wujoob ut-Tathabbut fil-Akhbaaar p.18]

Sum-Muslim-Gal
11-02-2006, 09:33 PM

sorry but i dont understand please clarify ...eerm..what is milad un nabi:?..
i knw its probably said on the previouse thread but my eyes are hurting too much texts..sorry..but can some one explain in brief..:)

jazakallah

Sum-Muslim-Gal
11-02-2006, 09:38 PM

jazakallah brother for that info..so are u against or for:?..if that makes any sense..

Umm Yoosuf
11-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Please stick to the topic at hand. I'd like to remind you of the forum rules:

13. No sectarian issues allowed. We are promoting the unity of Islam. Allah (Exalted is He) said in Surah Al-An'&#226;m, verse 159:

Verily, those who divide their religion and break up into sects (all kinds of religious sects), you (O Muhammad -- Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) have no concern in them in the least. Their affair is only with All&#226;h, Who then will tell them what they used to do.
Barakallahu Feekum

Sum-Muslim-Gal
11-02-2006, 10:15 PM

eeerm ok..:uuh:
that wasnt my intention..:)

Sum-Muslim-Gal
11-02-2006, 10:50 PM

brother please i strongly advise leave it..honestly what purpose will u get by arguieing nothing!!!
just leave it brother i undertsnad were u coming from and yes i read your post b4 it got deleted and am sure u read mine!!:)..leave it please...
state ur point n refrain from arguing!!

Umm Yoosuf
11-02-2006, 11:09 PM

Brother you aruging over nothing and turming a blind eye on the hadiths of the Prphet pbuh:

The best of people are my generation, then those who follow after them, then those who follow after them, then there will come after them a people who will be fat, and they will love obesity, bearing witness before being asked to."[related by the Umars, sons of Husayn(r)] [Tirmidthee, authenticated by Imaam Al Haakim] Shaykh Al Albaanee declares it to be Saheeh. See Silsilatul Ahaadeeth As-Saheehah no. 699, and Saheeh Al Jaami' no. 3294.

He pbuh commnads us to follow the Salaf! Who brought you all these hadiths? this beautiful deen? We attach ourselves to the Salafs because they attached themselves to that which the Prophet pbuh was upon. Read the ayats regaring the Salafs Subhan Allah!

There is a hadith Al-Irabaad ibn Sariyah (ra), (which he (the shaikh) shorted menting only the part relvelant to the discussion)

"So stick to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided Khaleefahs after me"

The Prophet pbuh did not say "stick to my Sunnah" only but rather he pbuh connected to his sunnah, the Sunnah of the rightly guided Khaleefahs.
Re-read the posts that have been posted and stop ingoring what has been asked of you!

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-02-2006, 11:17 PM

Sunni Student, this is your final warning regarding keeping sectarian content out of your posts. The posts in question have been deleted.

madeenahsh
11-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Asallam alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh.

Some Advice from Student of ilm

Bismillaah Arahmani Araheem

Avoid debating with this person, and about these matters, as they are among the matters Allah referred to in Surah Aal `Imran "Among them are (ayat) that are mutashaabihaat (not as clear), and those ini whose hearts there is a perversion, they follow after the mutashaabitaat among them, seeking fitnah and seeking ta'weel."

And in the authentic hadiths the Prophet (sall Allahu `alaihi wa sallam) stated that when you see them, then stay away from them.

So this is the order from the Sunnah, as for what some scholars have done, arguing in some books - it can be said that these scholars weighed the benefits versus the harms, and determined that the benefit of warning people against their ideas and disproving their claims outweighed the harms of remaining silent about them - when they were so popular among the average people.

Now, after all of their work has been done on that, there is no need for anyone else to have to delve into these topics of debate, and the existance of those works by those scholars refutting the claims of the innovators - the mere existance of those titles - does not necessitate that the average Muslim in every time is required or recommended to read them.

So again, it is part of the creed of Ahl as-Sunnah wal-Jama`ah, to say: "we do not debate with the people of innovation and desires."

And the reasons for this are many,please consider my advice to avoid debating such matters with this person, and supplicate for their guidance and be satisfied that you have done what is required of you, and recommended.

And Allah knows best

Wa-sallamu alaium

madeenahsh
11-02-2006, 11:59 PM
The Evils of Disputation
Qur'an 43:58
IN THE NAME OF ALLAH THE MOST MERCIFUL, THE MOST KIND

Debating, arguing and disputing are innovations which throws doubt into the heart, even if the person reaches the truth and the Sunnah.

At-Tirmidhee reports a hasan hadeeth from Abu Usaamah, who said: Allah's Messenger, Sallallahu Alahi WA Salaam, said " A people never went astray after being upon guidance except through disputation."

Then Allah's Messenger, Sallallahu Alahi WA salaam, recited this Ayah: This they set forth to you only by way of argument. Nay but they are a contentious people.

madeenahsh
11-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Sheikh Dr. Saalih Suhaimi concerning oppressing others on the net

Taken from my own notes from the fourth lesson of Sharh Akhlaaq al-Ulama by Imam Ajuree explained by Sheikh Dr. Saalih ibn Sa'd as-Suhaimi during the Madinah Conference, Saudi Arabia 1426/2006
25th Jumada 1 1425
20th June 2006.

Sheikh Dr. Saalih ibn Sa'd as-Suhaimi said regarding those who write on the internet and oppress others unjustly:

About twenty eight years ago two groups of students differed with one another. The extremity of the situation resulted in argumentation such that they did not seek the truth but rather only to please their own desires. They accused one another of falling into sins. The matter of disagreement was regarding whether one places his hands on the ground before his knees while going down for prostration in the prayer. They charged one another of lying against the Messenger sallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam. They claimed that these ones do no want the Sunnah. They fought each other until they threw chairs at one another.

This is from the deceptions of Iblees and whoever occupies himself with pleasing their desires then they ends up being misguided…

These affairs should be taken back to those firm in knowledge… let us consider Imam Ahmed and Imam Shaf'ee rahimahumaallaah. They differed with regard whether one has to make ablution after eating camel's meat. Imam Shaf'ee says that if one is upon ablution then eats camel's meat and prays then their prayer is correct, while Imam Ahmed says one's prayer is nullified. However, both of these Imams pray behind each other without mentioning this difference…

Beware my brothers from some of the problems present on the internet. To the extent that one of these (troublemakers) tried to ascertain what his brother's saying meant by given it a meaning other than the intended one, thereby being futile…

Another one has accused his brother of being an evil person and a Rafidi (an extreme group amongst the Shi'ah sect). The youths accusing others of being sinners, innovators and disbelievers. It maybe a result of a misunderstanding.

As the poet said,

And how many speak against a correct statement And his shortcoming is due to his own wrong understanding

By Allaah, we advised them concerning their argumentation and accusingly ascertaining a false meaning to what others say. This has lead others who are weak in faith to accept it.

May Allaah have mercy on Imam Ibn Baz rahimahullaah, when he advised the callers to Allaah in general, some people said that he was referring to the callers in Madinah specifically and to such and such person. Thus, falsely accusing others. So he rahimahullaah replied, "Those who delve in murky waters are the ones who say I am referring to such and such person…"

Allaah said, "Do not go into that which you have no knowledge, indeed the hearing, the sight, the heart, all of it, he will be questioned about."

We should keep away from accusingly ascertaining a false meaning to what others say...

…I say this to the students of knowledge, Fear Allaah concerning yourself (raising his voice), Fear Allaah concerning your brothers, Fear Allaah with what you put in your tapes falsely accusing and ascertaining a corrupt meaning to what others say.

Fear Allaah concerning the internet websites that are used for falsely accusing and ascertaining a false meaning to what others say.

Very little shame and much distortion in what your brothers say concerning those things that are not meant. By Allaah you will be questioned, by Allaah on a Day when neither wealth nor children will benefit you except the one who came to Allaah with a pure heart. By Allaah you will be questioned.

Someone wrote in that website, the one whose owners don't have fear of Allaah in reviling the students of knowledge with different types of insults and they even placed a student of knowledge and scholars to be a reference point for the website but I say this with much sorrow.

I heard this tape from the website of someone, may Allaah forgive him, he specified twenty minutes talking against me with very dangerous slanders and he attributed to me and others what is befitting for hypocrites and disbelievers. He said so and so he has such and such and he followed other than the path of the believers…he fell into hypocrisy and disbelief and he differed from the scholars and he went here and there, by Allaah, if you heard those characteristics then they are not attributed except to the disbelievers and hypocrites. I don't say this to defend myself, but he was not only specifying me with these slanders, only, but also other students of knowledge and scholars…

I say to him two things: the first of them being that I will not use against him more than the arrows at night for I will not forget in the last third part of the night the supplication against him and those that aid him, Allaah willing.

Secondly, I say to him: say what you say because in front of Allaah the disputers will gather and those that oppressed others will know which place they will end up in.

I say this, my brothers, for the sake of Allaah such that a Muslim is aware that Allaah is watching him, thus being afraid of Allaah in that which he says and writes. That he is accountable concerning every statement he utters for indeed a man says something without realising where it will reach until he falls into the hellfire a distance of 70 years.

The Prophet sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam while holding his own tongue said to Mu'adh ibn Jabal (may Allaah be pleased with him), "withhold this!" So Mu'adh said, "will we be accountable concerning what we say?" The Prophet sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam said, "May you be put back in your mothers womb and born again, for the people will be thrown into the hellfire upon their faces or noses on account of what their tongues used to say."

The great calamity is that this enmity is happening between people who ascribe to this methodology and this one way, except that satan has caused enmity between them. It maybe satan found those who delve into murky waters just as Ibn Baz rahimahullaah said.

If a person makes a mistake, do you take him out of salafiyyah and from the methodology of Ahlu Sunnah wal Jamaa'ah based upon your own specific opinion. Who is the one to clarify these affairs, they are the scholars who cultivate people to the truth, those who speak truthfully and are just upon it not Bakr or Zayd like us young ones.

So FEAR ALLAAH wherever you are (Raising his voice). So FEAR ALLAAH wherever you are. So FEAR ALLAAH wherever you are.

Fear Allaah concerning your brothers from Ahlu Sunnah, Be kind, loving and gentle with Ahlu Sunnah! Be kind, loving and gentle with Ahlu Sunnah! Be kind, loving and gentle with Ahlu Sunnah! Just as our sheikh AbdulMuhsin al 'Abbad said. I advise myself and you with the fear of Allaah in secret and in open.

Allaah said, "And indeed We have created man, and We know what his own self whispers to him. And We are nearer to him than his jugular veins (by Our knowledge). (Remember) that the two receivers (recording angels) receive (each human being), one sitting on the right and one on the left (to note his or her actions). Not a word does he utter but there is a watcher by him ready (to record it)." [Soorah Qaf: 16-18]

I ask Allaah for myself and you that we gain beneficial knowledge and good, correct actions for He is the One able to decree it and we say the supplication which Jibraeel taught the Prophet sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam to say:

"O Allaah, the Lord of Jibraeel, Mikaeel and Israfeel, the Originator of the heavens and the earth, Knower of the unseen and Bearer of witness. You are the One who judges between your servants in that which they differ, guide me with truth in those things that there is difference with your permission. Indeed you guide whom you will to the straight path."
The hadeeth has is Hasan, see Sunan Abi Dawood (767), Sunan Ibn Maajah (1357), Sunan Tirmidhee (3420).

End of translation.
For those who don't know Sheikh Dr. Saalih ibn Sa'd as-Suhaimi, then he is in his 70's a teacher in the Prophet's mosque and also at The Islamic University of Madinah and is held in high esteem amongst the scholars of Ahlu Sunnah and the general people. May Allaah protect him. The sheikh is also blind may Allaah grant him paradise for his efforts in calling to Allaah.
Abdulilah Lahmami

S_87
11-07-2006, 11:57 AM

ok brother. youre telling me that scholars would take up and approve of an original pagan custom, bearing in mind Muhammed :arabic5: said 'do the OPPOSITE of the pagans'? we as muslims remember Muhammed :arabic5: atleast 5 times a day when we pray. Allahumma sallee alaa muhammed... and what better way can we remember and love our Prophet :arabic5: than following his way and keeping away for innovation whether it be 'good' or not???

just give me ONE- just one hadith of the Prophet :arabic5: or His companions or his family celebrating his birthday and i myself will celebrate next year. and every single member whos posted on this thread saying it is bidah will celebrate next year. just that one hadith.

Umar001
11-07-2006, 01:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tilmeez

Assalamu aleykum, do you have a website or anything where Shaykh Bin Baz's whole article is there? :)

Eesa.

Dawud_uk
11-07-2006, 02:33 PM
assalaamu alaykum,

as far as i am aware sheikh ibn taymiyyah actually said we should not forbid those who celebrate mawlid from doing so if they would doing worse evil at those times.

i have a copy of his fatwah on this matter but will need to dig to find it and put it up here but what he was saying is if they would do worse matters then dont forbid them from it.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

Dawud_uk
11-07-2006, 02:34 PM
FROM SHAYKH AND SCHOLAR IBN TAYMIYYAH, FATWA ON WHY MAWLID IS NOT PERMISSIBLE TO CELEBRATE MAWLID

Ibn Taymiyyah says, "…because the Eeds are legislated laws from amongst the laws, so it is necessary to follow them, and not to innovate them, and the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) had many lectures, treaties, and great events that happened on a number of (documented) days such as the Day of Badr, Hunain, al-Khandaq, the Conquest of Mecca, the occurrence of his hijrah, his entry to Madeenah…and none of this necessitated that these days be taken as days of Eed. Rather this sort of thing was done by the Christians who took the days in which great events happened to Jesus as eeds, or by the Jews. Indeed the Eed is a legislated law, so what Allaah legislates is followed, otherwise do not innovate in this religion that which is not part of it.

And like this is what some of the people have innovated, either in opposition to the Christian celebration of the birthday of Jesus, or out of love for the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) and in honour of him.

And Allaah will reward them for this love and ijtihaad, but NOT FOR THE BID’AH of taking the day of the birth of the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) as an eed - this along with the difference of the people as to when he was born. For indeed this (celebration) was not done by the salaf, despite the existence of factors that would necessitate it and the lack of any factors that would prevent them from doing so if it were indeed good.

And if this was genuinely good or preferable then the salaf, may Allaah be pleased with them, would have more right to doing so then us, for they had more severe love and honour of the Prophet (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) in following him, obeying him, and following his command, and reviving his sunnah inwardly and outwardly, and spreading that which he was sent with, and performing jihaad for this in the heart, with the hand and upon the tongue. So indeed this was the way of the Saabiqeen al-Awwaleen from the Muhajiroon and the Ansaar, and those that followed them in good.

And you will find the majority of these (who celebrate the birthday) in ardent desire of these sort of innovations – along with what they have of good intention and ijtihaad for which reward is hoped for - but you would find them feeble in following the command of the Messenger, that which they have been commanded to be eager and vigorous in, indeed they are of the position of one who adorns the Mushaf but does not read what is in it or reads what is in it but does not follow it. Or the position of one who decorates the mosques but does not pray in them, or prays in them rarely…

And know that from the actions are those that have some good in them, due to their including types of good actions and including evil actions such as innovation etc. So this action would be good with respect to what it includes of good and evil with respect to what it contains of turning away from the religion in it’s totality, as is the state of the hypocrites and faasiqeen. This has what has afflicted the majority of the ummah in the later times. So upon you is two manners (of rectification):

that your desire be to follow the sunnah inwardly and outwardly, with respect to yourself specifically and those that follow you, and you enjoin the good and forbid the evil.

that you call the people to the sunnah in accordance to ability, so if you were to see someone doing this (celebration) and he were to not leave it except for an evil greater than it, then do not call him to leaving the evil so that he may perform something more evil than this….[a page omitted in which he explains this principle]

So honouring the mawlid, and taking it as a festive season (mawsam) which some of the people have done, there is a great reward in it due to the good intention and the honouring of the Messenger (sallallaahu `alaihi wasallam) because of what I have previously stated to you - that it is possible that something be good for some of the people and be denounced/considered to be ugly by the strict believer. This is why it was said to Imaam Ahmad about some of the leaders, that he spent 1000 dirhams upon the mushaf or similar to this. So he replied, ‘leave them, for this is better than them spending it on gold (jewellery).’

This despite the fact that the madhhab of Imaam Ahmad was that it is abhorrent to decorate the mushafs, and some of the companions (of Ahmad) interpreted this to mean that the money was spent in renewing the pages and writing. But this is not the intent of Ahmad here, his intention here was that this action had a benefit in it, and it also contained corruption due to which it became abhorrent. But these people, if they did not do this, would have substituted this for a corruption that contained no good whatsoever, for example spending upon one of the books of evil…" [Iqtidaa Siraat al-Mustaqeem 2/618+ my copy has the tahqeeq of Shaykh Naasir al-Aql]

Dawud_uk
11-07-2006, 02:37 PM
assalaamu alaykum,

as regards the points of why was the Quran compiled in one book and why the 2nd azhan and why do we follow this?

this is easy to explain, this is because we should follow the sunnah and the sunnah of the rightly guided kalifs and this is also a command of Rasoolullah saws in the ahaddith.

so if a matter is the sunnah of the rightly guided kalifs such as the compiling of the Quran in one book then such a thing is not a bidah as it is legislated by the command of Rasoolullah saws to follow the command of the rightly guided kalifs.

i do not believe that this action of mawlid was celebrated by any of the early generations or the rightly guided leaders after Muhammad saws so your argument falls on this point.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.