/* */

PDA

View Full Version : English Language

Sabbir_1
02-17-2007, 07:00 PM
* “Dreamt” is the only word in English that ends with “mt”.
* The word “SET” has more defination than any other word in English Language.
* “Underground” is the only word in the English Language that start and end with “und”.
* There are only four words in the English Language that ends with “dous” (tremendous, horrendous,stupendous and hazardous).
* There is a seven letter word in the English Language that contains ten words without re-arranging any of its letters, “therein”: the, there, he, in ,rein, here, ere, therein, herein.
* “Stewardesses” is the longest English word that is typed with left handed only.
* The only fifteen letter that can be spelled without repeating a letter is “uncopyrightable”.
* The longest word in the English according to the Oxford English Dictionary is: “pneunomoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis� �. (Oh!! How to pronounce it….)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MusLiM 4 LiFe
02-17-2007, 07:03 PM
ermm.. yeh iv got dese weird fatz on ma skool planner ^o) :p

Kittygyal
salamualikum.
brummy is just the best *touch ma blud* :shade:
&& hey that last word you made it up hmpftt ;D && also where you get all these from dude :uuh:
Ma'assalama

MusLiM 4 LiFe
btw wha does d longest word actuali mean and whtz d point of it :?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sabbir_1
02-17-2007, 07:06 PM
hey that last word you made it up hmpftt && also where you get all these from dude
no i didnt,found it from here.. check it out if u want!

http://samideas.wordpress.com/2006/0...-language-ahh/

btw wha does d longest word actuali mean and whtz d point of it
Dont know..????????.. waste of space in the dictionary.

Muezzin
02-17-2007, 07:13 PM
I think the word 'Rhythm' is the only word with no vowels in it.

Strzelecki
02-19-2007, 05:44 AM
*l* Thanks a million for posting those.
Very interestable.

Malaikah
02-19-2007, 06:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I think the word 'Rhythm' is the only word with no vowels in it.
:sl:

Sky? Fly? Spy? By? Fry? Why?

:D (Okay so they all sound the same lol but not my fault...)

Woodrow
02-19-2007, 11:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Sky? Fly? Spy? By? Fry? Why?

:D (Okay so they all sound the same lol but not my fault...)
Y is considered to be both a vowel and a non-vowel depending on it's pronunciation. If it carries the i or e pronunciation as in sky it is considered a vowel but when it has the y pronunciation as in Yes it is not a vowel.

The old grade school teaching of vowels was:

A,e,i,o,u and sometimes y

Pk_#2
02-19-2007, 11:24 AM
* The longest word in the English according to the Oxford English Dictionary is: “pneunomoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis� �. (Oh!! How to pronounce it….)

das quite short^^

longest word is the word das used for people who have a phobia of long words :thumbs_do :muddlehea

jazaks anyways-Peace

Malaikah
02-19-2007, 12:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The old grade school teaching of vowels was:

A,e,i,o,u and sometimes y

You went to school too long ago it seems... us youngsters never learned anything about Y being a vowel (I think). :hiding:

Malaikah
02-19-2007, 12:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
That's how we were taught it as well.

I thought you were young?:offended:

Woodrow
02-19-2007, 01:06 PM
vow·el Pronunciation (voul)
n.
1. A speech sound, such as () or (), created by the relatively free passage of breath through the larynx and oral cavity, usually forming the most prominent and central sound of a syllable.
2. A letter, such as a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y in the English alphabet, that represents a vowel.

Source: http://www.answers.com/topic/vowel

Still taught that way.

Re.TiReD
02-19-2007, 02:01 PM
:sl: there is now word in the english language that rhymes with silver :D

aljawaad
02-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Wah! interesting facts

Um_ahmad
02-19-2007, 02:17 PM
You learn someting everyday lol.

Re.TiReD
02-19-2007, 02:19 PM
lol!! specially from the back of penguin wrappers :p

Woodrow
02-19-2007, 02:31 PM
As the English Professor told the class "Did you know that sugar is the only English word in which the s is pronounced as sh?" And one of the students replied "Sure"

Sabbir_1
02-19-2007, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE]As the English Professor told the glass "Did you know that sugar is the only English word in which the s is pronounced as sh?" And one of the students replied "Sure"[QUOTE]

lol..

'Abd al-Baari
02-19-2007, 03:57 PM
lol
Jazakallah for sharing

Pk_#2
02-19-2007, 09:00 PM
LOL Grandad u crak me up sumtyms.....Buh seriously...im still Li's joka!

Kittygyal
02-19-2007, 09:05 PM
salamualikum.
Grandpa :uuh:

@wordrobe thats a classic one heh

Ma'assalama

chacha_jalebi
02-19-2007, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by khalil27
The longest word in the English according to the Oxford English Dictionary is: “pneunomoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis� �. (Oh!! How to pronounce it….)
i used this word in my everyday life :p na come on lol who is gona use that word, by the time they finish the word, you wil get bored

what does it mean btw:shade:

Malaikah
02-20-2007, 03:29 AM
As the English Professor told the class "Did you know that sugar is the only English word in which the s is pronounced as sh?" And one of the students replied "Sure"

Wow. English must so hard to learn, with all the inconsistencies with letter pronunciation!

Strzelecki
02-20-2007, 05:51 AM
No word in the English language rhymes with...

Orange
Purple
Silver [As mentioned by Dreamer]
Month

Woodrow
02-20-2007, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by buriedaway_4536

Orange
Purple
Month

That may only apply for now. English is constantly changing and new words are added almost daily.

One day the following words may become accepted:

Brorange--Brownish orange color

Slurple--- the method of drinking a popular soft drink

gilver---a person who scuba dives with the use of artificial gills

onth ----a past tense usage of once.

That is the problem with trying to interpret from one language to another. As languages that are currently used gain and loose words and over time meanings also change.

One of the best examples is the word molasses and how it has changed in the past 400 years. Some of the older meanings had been:

Horse dung
Animal bite
A cut
Any wound
a poultice

and today an unrefined sugar cane syrup

A very large percentage of English words used daily only came into existence in the past 100 years and many words have changed either spelling, pronunciation of definition.

Muslim Knight
02-20-2007, 02:34 PM
A very large percentage of English words used daily only came into existence in the past 100 years and many words have changed either spelling, pronunciation of definition.
That's why it is categorized as a living language. A dead language does the contrary, it's vocabulary doesn't grow and less people speaks it.

Like ancient Egyptian language.

Keltoi
02-20-2007, 02:35 PM
In English, a blackberry can be green when it's red.

Al_Imaan
02-20-2007, 02:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by buriedaway_4536

Orange
Purple
Month
is there a rhyme with feline?

Woodrow
02-20-2007, 02:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al_imaan_786
Line

tine

fine

dine

Many others

Muezzin
02-20-2007, 02:53 PM
There's no rhyme for 'purple' or 'orange' though.

Purple oranges suck that way.

Al_Imaan
02-20-2007, 02:59 PM
^^lol
Line

tine
fine
dine
Many others
how come the cat in the hat couldnt find a rhyme for feline?

Snowflake
02-20-2007, 02:59 PM
of course........ beeline :p

Woodrow
02-20-2007, 03:07 PM
^^lol

how come the cat in the hat couldnt find a rhyme for feline?
It would have messed up the story if he had. The goal was to keep the story in single syllable words.

Muslim Knight
02-20-2007, 03:12 PM
There is only one word that rhymes with "burrow"

Woodrow.

Al_Imaan
02-20-2007, 03:19 PM
It would have messed up the story if he had. The goal was to keep the story in single syllable words.
u watched it?....:uuh:

Woodrow
02-20-2007, 03:31 PM
u watched it?....:uuh:
Having had kids and grandkids and great grand kids, it is a question of how many times have I had to watch it. When my kids were little it was only in book form. I must have read that story to them hundreds of times. Then with the grand kids it was an annual event on TV. Now with great grandkids it is sticking it into the DVD player almost every time I see them. At least I don't have to read it anymore.

SophiaCroft
02-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Sweet! I never Noticed. I do know one that there is riddle that which is the longest word and the answer was Smile *mile*!.

Al_Imaan
02-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Having had kids and grandkids and great grand kids, it is a question of how many times have I had to watch it. When my kids were little it was only in book form. I must have read that story to them hundreds of times. Then with the grand kids it was an annual event on TV. Now with great grandkids it is sticking it into the DVD player almost every time I see them. At least I don't have to read it anymore.
i thought u would have said that gramps

Strzelecki
02-21-2007, 11:19 AM
"All mine" ^.~

czgibson
02-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Greetings,

Some information about 'pneumoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis':

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki...olcanoconiosis

The word meaning 'fear of long words' is:

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

Both of these are words that have been specifically made up: the first was made by a puzzle fanatic simply in order to be the longest word in a dictionary (something which it did achieve), and the second was made to be long just for comedy value.

Shakespeare did this too: 'honorificabilitudinitatibus' from Love's Labours Lost is the longest word in any of his plays. It means 'loaded with honours' and was simply included for a laugh.

James Joyce's book Finnegans Wake is written in a dreamlike version of English - the words stretch and squeeze and gobble each other up. It contains ten different hundred-letter words that represent thunder. Here's the first of them:

bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronnt uonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk

What a cool word!

Peace

Muslim Knight
02-22-2007, 02:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson

bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronnt uonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk

What a cool word!

Peace
Erm, I know you're a school teacher and you're cool, but dude, that seriously looks like you banged your head on the keyboard in fits of rage over slow broadband connection.

Joking.

SophiaCroft
02-22-2007, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
but dude, that seriously looks like you banged your head on the keyboard in fits of rage over slow broadband connection.
XD lol

aLiTTLeTiMe
02-22-2007, 08:01 PM
very attractive word :)

Strzelecki
02-23-2007, 04:12 AM
I think Pillow is my favorite word! :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.