/* */

PDA

View Full Version : cannot sleep..

zircon
02-17-2007, 09:27 PM
salam, does anybody here knows how to fix a messed up sleeping pattern? i simply couldnt sleep at night and end up on a deep one after subuh prayerimsad its very frustating....

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abu Ilyas
02-17-2007, 09:28 PM
try following the sunnah before bed.

Kittygyal
02-17-2007, 09:30 PM
salamualikum
well baisically it's best if you actually recite Qura'an before you go to bed && then do extra Nafl that will definately make you fall asleep.
Ma'assalama

Du'aa
02-17-2007, 09:35 PM
One of my friends had the same problem. She would stay awake all night and then sleep during the day. She overcame it by setting her alarm in the morning and trying to stay awake during the day. By 8pm she would be knocked out. Alhamdulillah now she goes to bed at 10pm and sleept all nite :smile:

Try to do as much dhikr and inshaAllah you'll be ok.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kittygyal
02-17-2007, 09:36 PM
salamualikum.
try taking red bull *am always knoced out* if not the sleeping tabz :D
Ma'assalama

mohammed farah
02-17-2007, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Du'aa
One of my friends had the same problem. She would stay awake all night and then sleep during the day. She overcame it by setting her alarm in the morning and trying to stay awake during the day. By 8pm she would be knocked out. Alhamdulillah now she goes to bed at 10pm and sleept all nite :smile:

Try to do as much dhikr and inshaAllah you'll be ok.
thats excactly what i did when i had problem with my sleeping pattern trust it works and it feels so refreshing when you wake in the morning for the first time in a while:D

جوري
02-17-2007, 11:02 PM
go visit your doc, ask for a 7 day prescription sleep aid like ambien provided you do the following to a T
1- once you committ yourself to sleep you can't do anything else but sleep
2- don't use your bed for reading or watching tv or lounging or snacking but just for the act of sleeping
3-if you find that you aren't sleeping and shifting to left or right, get up and do something else, elsewhere and come back to bed only when tired
4-wake up and sleep at the same time every day.. I mean even if you try for one night and end up sleeping only 3 hours then so be it, so long as you wake up at the time you assigned yourself.
5-don't eat anything after 8 in the evening
6-do some light exercise
7-seriously don't neglect tasbee7 (using sibha) reciting suras or listening to Quran.
stick to this plan with no interruptions and let us know if it worked for you
fi aman illah

jzcasejz
02-17-2007, 11:11 PM
My Best Advice, Refrain From Sleeping During Mornings As This Will Eventually Break The Habit Of Sleeping During Mornings And Staying Awake At Night...Then Hopefully With Time..This Will Re-Adjust Your Sleeping Habits And Your Habit Will Be Sorted..InshaAllah...

I Have The Same Problem...And It Is Fustrating..It's Affecting My College Work Like Mad...Now Its Da holidayz I Can Finally Adjust My Sleeping Timetable...

unknown_JJ
02-17-2007, 11:43 PM
erm.. drink horlicks..apparently it helps..itsa new promotional thing :D

Du'aa
02-18-2007, 12:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohammed farah
thats excactly what i did when i had problem with my sleeping pattern trust it works and it feels so refreshing when you wake in the morning for the first time in a while:D
MashaAllah thats really good. Its just about breaking a habit. You have to persevere inshaAllah. The first few days can be tiring. Alhamdulillah Ive never had a problem with my sleeping pattern but I remember trying to do an all-nighter in my uni days and I just couldnt stay awake after 2am :muddlehea red bull and pro plus didnt work :rolleyes:

Du'aa
02-18-2007, 12:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by unknown_JJ
erm.. drink horlicks..apparently it helps..itsa new promotional thing :D
My dad drinks horlicks and Im sure the whole street can hear him snoring at 10pm :eek: It smells tho!! Warm milk usually does the trick too I think.

Abu Ilyas
02-18-2007, 01:07 PM
n dont forget to make wudhu.

aamirsaab
02-18-2007, 08:31 PM
:sl:

This is from a previous post of mine on a similar thread.

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
As promised, here are my findings. I appologise for the length, but it's as short as I can make it seeing as I have pages on the topic.

I mentioned earlier seratonin levels. I found out that it is infact melatonin. The more melatonin you have in your body, the easier it is to sleep. In your case, you could very well have a melatoning imbalance, however since as you stated it occurs at certain times of the day I will discuss another theory: exogenous zeitgebers - in plain english: an internal biological clocks that controls your sleep pattern.

The temperature is an example of a zeitgeber, the warmer it is the quicker you'll get to sleep. In other words, when you're about to read your namaz/salaat is the temperature generally warmer? Do you yourself feel warmer? If so, turn down the heating.

Another possible reason/ theory is that the light could be affecting your biological clock. In which case you'll have to experiment with exposure to light, again this should reset the biological clock to its norm.

That's pretty much all I can give on this topic. I would recommend seeking advice from a doctor though, especially if this sleep problem has been going on for some time (several months)

chacha_jalebi
02-18-2007, 08:39 PM
wen i had holidays frm uni i wud do this n stay up all nite like a gypsy :p

the best tin to do is make sure you wake up round like 8-9 am, den dont sleep for the whole day and go about ur normal activities and when its round 11-`2 u will automatically fall sleep and then the cycle will continue :D genius eh:p yesh i no :shade:

or u can jus take sleepin pills :D

Kittygyal
02-18-2007, 09:05 PM
MashaAllah thats really good. Its just about breaking a habit. You have to persevere inshaAllah. The first few days can be tiring. Alhamdulillah Ive never had a problem with my sleeping pattern but I remember trying to do an all-nighter in my uni days and I just couldnt stay awake after 2am :muddlehea red bull and pro plus didnt work :rolleyes:
salamualikum
works for me all the time maybe take some over does aswel :D
Ma'assalama

Du'aa
02-18-2007, 09:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salamualikum
works for me all the time maybe take some over does aswel :D
Ma'assalama
walaikum assalam. Trust me sis, caffeine makes me feel sleepy. Im gona have to find sumat to keep me awake. I have to start doing some serious studying inshaAllah. Maybe I'll start a thread "Cannot stay awake.." :smile:

Kittygyal
02-18-2007, 09:22 PM
walaikum assalam. Trust me sis, caffeine makes me feel sleepy. Im gona have to find sumat to keep me awake. I have to start doing some serious studying inshaAllah. Maybe I'll start a thread "Cannot stay awake.." :smile:
salamualikum.
yh if you wana go ahead, but am saying to the other dudette to have a pint of 'red bull' to make her go asleep inshallah.
Ma'assalama

zircon
02-19-2007, 02:36 AM
salam, lol am happy for the replies. thanks!! i'll try some inshaAllah but certainly not sleeping pills lol. and i dont know how true this is but i heard that red-bull is being banned in thailand for some health reason. oh and caffein keeps me awake:D

learningislam
02-19-2007, 09:45 AM
:salamext:

thats an interesting thread.....as regard the replies.

an internal biological clocks that controls your sleep pattern.
can somebody provide some more info regarding this? Like bro aamirsaab mentioned regarding how to help oneself to sleep. Ofcourse the opposite advice would follow for keeping oneself awake.
What i would like to know is how to control your internal biological clock?

jazakAllah khair in advance.
:wasalamex

aamirsaab
02-19-2007, 10:01 AM
I'll check through my notes at home, if not tonight, then tomorrow inshallah, and post any relavant I can find.

learningislam
03-03-2007, 03:40 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
I'll check through my notes at home, if not tonight, then tomorrow inshallah, and post any relavant I can find.
Brother aamir.....^^^i am waiting for your post.

:wasalamex

aamirsaab
03-05-2007, 03:03 PM
My apologies, I totally forgot about this thread. I'll get round to it inshallah tonight.

Maidah
03-05-2007, 04:19 PM
^ sis if u borrow an A2 psychology book and read in it you'll get a lot of info on our biological clock. It basically consists of three different areas, the infradian, the cirrcadian, and the ultradian rythm (not to a lot of help i know)

InshAllah i will also try to post u some in detail info.:thumbs_up

Wassalam

Idris
03-05-2007, 04:25 PM
It is a good thing you can stay up and learn your deen :)

deen_2007
03-05-2007, 04:30 PM
(((((sleep ))))).......i just did a exam on the topic last semester in my Psychology Degree......i love it to bits! (okay...i havnt read the previous post...lol....let me do that...then i'll see if i can help u...insha'allah)

deen_2007
03-05-2007, 04:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zircon
salam, does anybody here knows how to fix a messed up sleeping pattern? i simply couldnt sleep at night and end up on a deep one after subuh prayerimsad its very frustating....
okay...now ive read it!!! first of all... have you seen ur Gp about this? if NO...then you should... because all these personal advice are sweet..... but sometimes they may not work for you.... because there are several sleep disorders which need medical attention to fix.... and dnt worry its not alaways sleeping pills!! there other means to it.... but in order for you to get the > right < tretment....you need to make sure you get the right diagnostic for it......... (like i said there is several sleepin disorders...so find out which is urs....btw just because it may be a disorder...dnt get all tensed about it...most sleep disorders can be fixed very quickly)

SATalha
03-05-2007, 07:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by deen_2007
okay...now ive read it!!! first of all... have you seen ur Gp about this? if NO...then you should... because all these personal advice are sweet..... but sometimes they may not work for you.... because there are several sleep disorders which need medical attention to fix.... and dnt worry its not alaways sleeping pills!! there other means to it.... but in order for you to get the > right < tretment....you need to make sure you get the right diagnostic for it......... (like i said there is several sleepin disorders...so find out which is urs....btw just because it may be a disorder...dnt get all tensed about it...most sleep disorders can be fixed very quickly)
Wow you seem to know your stuff. Inshallah sister you can get some sleep. What i found is that do something thats realy boring like......reading Shakespear.....that will put you to hibernation let alone sleep!!!

aamirsaab
03-05-2007, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by learningislam
What i would like to know is how to control your internal biological clock?
Basically you can either take certain medicines that will help your melatonin levels or you can use social cues such as light or temperature.

Examples of light: bright light has been found to supress melatonin*, therefore daylight will reset the biological clock. A study found that by shining a torch at the back of the knees also altered the rhythm.

*Melatonin is a chemical in our bodies that helps us to get to sleep.

Your internal biological clock can also be affected by shift works or alarms. To do this you basically have to get used to waking up at those specific times and eventually your sleep pattern will change.

(p.s i'm going to post all my psychology notes, from AS to A level, so look out for the thread)

snakelegs
03-06-2007, 01:48 AM
as many have said - make yourself get up earlier.
also, if you have a really super boring book to read. this worked for me when i was having the same problem. i used karl marx "das kapital" and it worked wonders. (i'm serious!). i don't think i ever did get past page 50 or so.

Skillganon
03-06-2007, 03:07 AM
Actually it does happening to me sometime.

It is alway's due to different factors and not neccessari;y one.

You have to break the habit.

AbuAbdallah
03-06-2007, 09:05 AM
salaam,
In my opinion forget anything that has to do with drugs, caffeine, or useless books. I forget who made this statement, but it goes something to the effect of if you have sleeping problems, then read the Qur'an because the shaytan will try to make you sleepy.

And Allah Knows Best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.