/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Jesus Appears Before Pilate

Arie
02-19-2007, 12:33 AM
When Jesus and his accusers had gathered in front of Pilate's judgment hall, the Roman governor came out and, addressing the company assembled, asked, "What accusation do you bring against this fellow?" The Sadducees and councilors who had taken it upon themselves to put Jesus out of the way had determined to go before Pilate and ask for confirmation of the death sentence pronounced upon Jesus, without volunteering any definite charge. Therefore did the spokesman for the Sanhedrist court answer Pilate: "If this man were not an evildoer, we should not have delivered him up to you."

When Pilate observed that they were reluctant to state their charges against Jesus, although he knew they had been all night engaged in deliberations regarding his guilt, he answered them: "Since you have not agreed on any definite charges, why do you not take this man and pass judgment on him in accordance with your own laws?"

Then spoke the clerk of the Sanhedrin court to Pilate: "It is not lawful for us to put any man to death, and this disturber of our nation is worthy to die for the things which he has said and done. Therefore have we come before you for confirmation of this decree."

To come before the Roman governor with this attempt at evasion discloses both the ill-will and the ill-humor of the Sanhedrists toward Jesus as well as their lack of respect for the fairness, honor, and dignity of Pilate. What effrontery for these subject citizens to appear before their provincial governor asking for a decree of execution against a man before affording him a fair trial and without even preferring definite criminal charges against him!

Pilate knew something of Jesus' work among the Jews, and he surmised that the charges which might be brought against him had to do with infringements of the Jewish ecclesiastical laws; therefore he sought to refer the case back to their own tribunal. Again, Pilate took delight in making them publicly confess that they were powerless to pronounce and execute the death sentence upon even one of their own race whom they had come to despise with a bitter and envious hatred.

It was a few hours previously, shortly before midnight and after he had granted permission to use Roman soldiers in effecting the secret arrest of Jesus, that Pilate had heard further concerning Jesus and his teaching from his wife, Claudia, who was a partial convert to Judaism, and who later on became a full-fledged believer in Jesus' gospel.

Pilate would have liked to postpone this hearing, but he saw the Jewish leaders were determined to proceed with the case. He knew that this was not only the forenoon of preparation for the Passover, but that this day, being Friday, was also the preparation day for the Jewish Sabbath of rest and worship.

Pilate, being keenly sensitive to the disrespectful manner of the approach of these Jews, was not willing to comply with their demands that Jesus be sentenced to death without a trial. When, therefore, he had waited a few moments for them to present their charges against the prisoner, he turned to them and said: "I will not sentence this man to death without a trial; neither will I consent to examine him until you have presented your charges against him in writing."

When the high priest and the others heard Pilate say this, they signaled to the clerk of the court, who then handed to Pilate the written charges against Jesus. And these charges were:

"We find in the Sanhedrist tribunal that this man is an evildoer and a disturber of our nation in that he is guilty of:

"1. Perverting our nation and stirring up our people to rebellion.

"2. Forbidding the people to pay tribute to Caesar.

"3. Calling himself the king of the Jews and teaching the founding of a new kingdom."

Jesus had not been regularly tried nor legally convicted on any of these charges. He did not even hear these charges when first stated, but Pilate had him brought from the praetorium, where he was in the keeping of the guards, and he insisted that these charges be repeated in Jesus' hearing.

When Jesus heard these accusations, he well knew that he had not been heard on these matters before the Jewish court, and so did John Zebedee and his accusers, but he made no reply to their false charges. Even when Pilate bade him answer his accusers, he opened not his mouth. Pilate was so astonished at the unfairness of the whole proceeding and so impressed by Jesus' silent and masterly bearing that he decided to take the prisoner inside the hall and examine him privately.

Pilate was confused in mind, fearful of the Jews in his heart, and mightily stirred in his spirit by the spectacle of Jesus' standing there in majesty before his bloodthirsty accusers and gazing down on them, not in silent contempt, but with an expression of genuine pity and sorrowful affection.

***Excerpt from the Urantia Book, paper 185

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
paarsurrey
02-20-2007, 04:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Arie
Pilate was confused in mind, fearful of the Jews in his heart, and mightily stirred in his spirit by the spectacle of Jesus' standing there in majesty before his bloodthirsty accusers and gazing down on them, not in silent contempt, but with an expression of genuine pity and sorrowful affection.
***Excerpt from the Urantia Book, paper 185
Hi
My friend ; what is this Urantia Book, I am not familiar with it?
Could you please introduce us about this book?

Pilate did find JesusYeshusaIssa innocent and did not want to put him on Cross. He washed his hands to show that he was not responsible for shedding blood of Jesus, yet he could not release him. He was not bold enough, showe cowardness and handed over Jesus to them to be executed. His wife was a hidden follower of Jesus.Matthew 27:19
"While Pilate was sitting on the judge's seat, his wife sent him this message: "Don't have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him."
So this dream hinted that GodAllahYHWH wanted that JesusYeshuaIssa's life would be saved and he would not die on Cross. For instance we observe from Matthew 2:13
When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. "Get up," he said, "take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him." 14So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt, 15where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: "Out of Egypt I called my son."
It never happens that when GodAllahYHWH tells something of future to a person for saving life of a person, and that is not fullfilled. That must fullfill.
So showing a dream to Pilate's wife is a clear indication that Jesus could not die on Cross.
If we read NTBible intently we find hidden under the text measures later clearly adopted by Pilate to save life of JesusYeshuaIssa on the Cross.One should have eyes to find these.
Thanks
bridging gaps between the religions and working for unity of the religions with peaceful means.

Zulkiflim
02-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Salaam,

paarsurey,i sincerely hope you desisit from using Allah name in between GOD and YHWH.

It is not right and a perversion...

Instead just use GOD...

I have no problem with Jesus/Isa/YEshua

Keltoi
02-20-2007, 02:13 PM
This text seems to make the same mistake many make in regards to Pilate, something I faulted Passion of the Christ for. Pilate crucified people like it was going out of style. The Roman emperor actually threatened Pilate to stop his out of control crucifixions. If Pilate was adverse to executing Jesus Christ, it had more to do with Christ's effect on Pilate, and not some inner conflict of his own about killing an innocent man.

Just felt I had to throw that out there.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umar001
02-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Arie,

In future I would advise not to just post extracts out of a book. This area is to discuss matters, you might be allowed to post and ask for views, but there is a fine line between posting to discuss and posting to promote.

:)

paarsurrey
03-01-2007, 01:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
This text seems to make the same mistake many make in regards to Pilate, something I faulted Passion of the Christ for. Pilate crucified people like it was going out of style. The Roman emperor actually threatened Pilate to stop his out of control crucifixions. If Pilate was adverse to executing Jesus Christ, it had more to do with Christ's effect on Pilate, and not some inner conflict of his own about killing an innocent man.
Just felt I had to throw that out there.

Pilate was not couragious enough to set innocent JesusYeshuaIssa free and handed him over for execution on the Cross, but we see later his many attempts to save Jesus from death of Cross which could be observed hidden in the NTBible, but very much there:
1. He washed his hands off the blood of innocent man JesusYeshuaIssa.
2. He chose Friday for execution, the next day was Sabbath so he was to be delivered from the Cross within couple of hours with all possibility of him being alive, though unconscious.
3. He did not believe when sombody told that Jesus had died.
4. He did not let the soldiers break Jesus legs.
5. He handed over neardead Jesus to his friends to take him in a private tomb, in a lonely garden.
Thanks

Trumble
03-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Ahem.. cough,

The Urantia Book, first published by Urantia Foundation in 1955, claims to have been presented by celestial beings as a revelation to our planet, Urantia
Yerssss...

From http://www.urantia.org

That said, it looks like an interesting addition to the library. Have just ordered a copy.

Talha777
03-01-2007, 10:24 PM
I am an Ahmadi, I have to mention the following.
Pilate was not couragious enough to set innocent JesusYeshuaIssa free and handed him over for execution on the Cross, but we see later his many attempts to save Jesus from death of Cross which could be observed hidden in the NTBible, but very much there:
1. He washed his hands off the blood of innocent man JesusYeshuaIssa.
2. He chose Friday for execution, the next day was Sabbath so he was to be delivered from the Cross within couple of hours with all possibility of him being alive, though unconscious.
3. He did not believe when sombody told that Jesus had died.
4. He did not let the soldiers break Jesus legs.
5. He handed over neardead Jesus to his friends to take him in a private tomb, in a lonely garden.
Thanks
Mr. paarsurrey,

I am an EX-Ahmadi, and by the grace of Allah Tala I have converted to the true Islam. You believe that Jesus Christ (alaihi salam) was put on the cross, and this is a false belief in direct conflict with the Holy Quran.

I invite you to a debate over the claims of your fake prophet, Mirza Qadiani in a separate thread. Please be courageous and do not decline this golden opportunity.

Skillganon
03-01-2007, 10:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777

Mr. paarsurrey,

I am an EX-Ahmadi, and by the grace of Allah Tala I have converted to the true Islam. You believe that Jesus Christ (alaihi salam) was put on the cross, and this is a false belief in direct conflict with the Holy Quran.

I invite you to a debate over the claims of your fake prophet, Mirza Qadiani in a separate thread. Please be courageous and do not decline this golden opportunity.
Bro if he is an Ahmadi, than I gather he should change his status to non-muslim.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.