/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Sarcasm Haraam?

limitless
02-19-2007, 04:17 AM
Is saracastic or saracaism harraam? why and how? and provide a hadith or qur'anic source please :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Abi Ahmed
02-19-2007, 04:44 AM
:sl:

Deleted the posts above because they were from an inauthentic source. Insha'Allah one of the brothers or sisters will get you an answer :)

NoName55
02-19-2007, 08:24 AM
The Prophet (PBUH) said, “When two vituperate each other, [the sin of] what they say is borne by the one who first began, as long as the one wronged does not transgress [the bounds of merely defending himself, by answering back with worse]” (Muslim, 4.2000: 2587. S).

It is of the adab of the high path of Islam to be honest when one speaks. The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) said, “Honesty certainly leads to goodness, and goodness leads to paradise. Truly, a man keeps speaking the truth until he is inscribed as being true through and through. And lying leads to going wrong, and going wrong leads to hell. Truly, a man lies and lies until he is inscribed as being a liar through and through” (Muslim, 4.2012–13: 2607. S).

It is of the adab of the high path of Islam to completely abandon and shun guile, deceit, scornfulness, or sarcasm because these are unlawful. Allah Most High says, “O you who believe, let no men scorn other men, for they might well be better than they are. And let no women scorn other women, for they might well be better than they. And do not find fault with one another, or give each other insulting nicknames” (Qur’an 49:11).

And Allah Most High says, “Woe to whoever demeans others behind their back or to their face” (Qur’an 104:1).

:w:

lolwatever
02-19-2007, 08:59 AM
^ but wat if sarcasm is used to make a point... like sometimes if someone says "did u mean so and so" and u say "nah i meant the total opposite" it drives teh point home...

ofcourse dat goes 4 ppl who dont wanna get the point...

also how about in muckn around manner?

jazaks

salams

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
learningislam
02-19-2007, 09:53 AM
:salamext:

I dont know if its haram or not. But if sarcasm, is meant to insult or hurt the other person, then surely it cant be appreciated.

like sometimes if someone says "did u mean so and so" and u say "nah i meant the total opposite" it drives teh point home...
i do get ur point.But some ppl might say "isnt it the same as lying".

I think, the tone of voice also matters here, like a same sentence might be completely taken opposite in meaning when said in a harsh tone....or taunting tone like "Thankyou very much for your help". If not said in a warm or comforting tone might mean the opposite.

well.....just my 2 cents.

:wasalamex

NoName55
02-19-2007, 10:05 AM

Surah 33 Al Ahzaab Ayahs 36
it is not fitting for a believer, man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger to have any option about their decision: if any one disobeys Allah and His Messenger, He is indeed on a clearly wrong path.

Even thou this ayah refers to marriage between a man an his adoptive son's ex wife, I think it can aply here too.

We can easily make a point on any given subject if we have the knowledge of subject in question. However If one has no knowlege or time to research, one can simply abstain and can say "I'll get back to you later, once I've found the correct answer"
:w:

InToTheRain
02-22-2007, 02:53 PM

If your being sarcastinc with the intent of hurting someone then surely its gonna count towards your sins which might multiply depending on how the other person is affected. However if your being sarcastic with the intent of making some one laugh without affecting anyones feelings in a negative way or backbiting then I don't see how that is a bad thing, correct me if I am wrong Insha'Allah :eek:

Question: Can we say a joke by making something up about someone with the intent of making them laugh and telling them that you was lying/making it up or was just joking?

Snowflake
02-22-2007, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WnbSlveOfAllah

If your being sarcastinc with the intent of hurting someone then surely its gonna count towards your sins which might multiply depending on how the other person is affected. However if your being sarcastic with the intent of making some one laugh without affecting anyones feelings in a negative way or backbiting then I don't see how that is a bad thing, correct me if I am wrong Insha'Allah :eek:

Question: Can we say a joke by making something up about someone with the intent of making them laugh and telling them that you was lying/making it up or was just joking?

I totally agree. The intention is what makes it right or wrong. Me and my friends are constantly sarcastic towards each other and it cracks us up because we know we're only being funny.. or at least trying to be. :rolleyes:

I couldn't ever imagine being sarcastic in a hurtful way to them. To me if we can't joke around like that then it means we're simply not on the same wavelength.. friendships like that are totally boring.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
02-23-2007, 09:21 PM
oh no :-\ i gues ma sarcasm gotta stop :$

Um_ahmad
02-23-2007, 11:33 PM
I love being sarcastic, but everyone arounds me knows im kidding. Plus I dont do it if its a seriouse time.

Muslim Knight
02-24-2007, 06:20 AM
I agree that if one is to apply sarcasm to hurt other's feelings, it is haram. But if it is meant as a joke or to tease someone, it is okay.

Anyone here has ever heard about the Prophet teasing Umm Ayman about the camel? It was narrated that Umm Ayman was asking to ride upon a camel and the Prophet answered he would not put her on any save the child of a camel. Umm Ayman was confused and asked again to be given a camel to ride upon. This altercation continued until she realized that the Prophet was teasing her and that every camel is necessary the child of a camel.

I have this one uncle who really loves to be sarcastic. Whenever we meet he would ask us when we are coming over to his home for a ziarah. Then he will slyly make the remark that he hasn't printed the invitation card yet to send to us. Then we realize the joke that we don't really need invitation cards to visit each other's home.

NoName55
02-24-2007, 06:44 AM
Definitions of joking on the Web:
jesting: characterized by jokes and good humor
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Definitions of humour on the Web:
temper: a characteristic (habitual or relatively temporary) state of feeling; "whether he praised or cursed me depended on his temper at the time"; "he was in a bad humor"
wit: a message whose ingenuity or verbal skill or incongruity has the power to evoke laughter
humor: (Middle Ages) one of the four fluids in the body whose balance was believed to determine your emotional and physical state; "the humors are blood and phlegm and yellow and black bile"
liquid body substance: the liquid parts of the body
humor: the quality of being funny; "I fail to see the humor in it"
humor: the trait of appreciating (and being able to express) the humorous; "she didn't appreciate my humor"; "you can't survive in the army without a sense of humor"
humor: put into a good mood

sarcasm: witty language used to convey insults or scorn; "he used sarcasm to upset his opponent"; "irony is wasted on the stupid"; "Satire is a sort of glass(mirror), wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own"--Jonathan Swift

Definitions of tease on the Web:
annoy persistently; "The children teased the boy because of his stammer"
harass with persistent criticism or carping; "The children teased the new teacher"; "Don't ride me so hard over my failure"; "His fellow workers razzed him when he wore a jacket and tie"
to arouse hope, desire, or curiosity without satisfying them; "The advertisement is intended to tease the customers"; "She has a way of teasing men with her flirtatious behavior"
tear into pieces; "tease tissue for microscopic examinations"
raise the nap of (fabrics)
separate the fibers of; "tease wool"
someone given to teasing (as by mocking or stirring curiosity)
coquette: a seductive woman who uses her sex appeal to exploit men
mock or make fun of playfully; "the flirting man teased the young woman"
ruffle (one's hair) by combing towards the ends towards the scalp, for a full effect
the act of harassing someone playfully or maliciously (especially by ridicule); provoking someone with persistent annoyances; "he ignored their teases"; "his ribbing was gentle but persistent"

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.