/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "Priest" jailed for exorcism death

Umar001
02-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Priest jailed for exorcism death
Daniel Petru Corgeanu

Romania was stunned by news of the exorcism ritual (Pic: Pro Image)
A Romanian priest has been jailed for 14 years for conducting an exorcism that led to the death of a nun who he believed was possessed by devils.

Irina Cornici, 23, died after being starved and chained to a cross at a secluded convent in the north-east.

The ritual in 2005 was led by Daniel Petru Corogeanu, 31, the priest at the Holy Trinity convent in Tanacu village.

He and four nuns were convicted of manslaughter. The nuns got jail terms ranging from five to eight years.

Nicoleta Arcalianu got eight years, while Adina Cepraga, Elena Otel and Simona Bardana were given five-year sentences.

All the defendants plan to appeal against the verdict in a case which has shocked Romania.

The Orthodox Church, which described the Tanacu incident as "abominable", has promised reforms, including psychological tests for those seeking to enter monasteries.

It banned Corogeanu from the priesthood and excommunicated the four nuns.

In 1999, when the Vatican issued its first new guidelines since 1614 for driving out devils, it urged priests to take modern psychiatry into account in deciding who should be exorcised.

After hearing the sentence, Corogeanu said: "We will appeal and hope that it will succeed. We didn't expect this sentence, but this is the judge's decision. We will pray to God for help."

Dozens of Corogeanu's supporters packed the courtroom and several burst into tears when the verdict was announced, AP news agency reported.

According to BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6376211.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
jello
02-21-2007, 01:01 PM
:sl:

^
Dozens of Corogeanu's supporters packed the courtroom and several burst into tears when the verdict was announced, AP news agency reported.
Seems this priest had his devoted followers, as the report indicates. :muddlehea

Malaikah
02-21-2007, 01:13 PM

Subhanallah, how sad. Is that how Christians usually do exorcism?

On a side note, Wow, mashaallah what a beard!!! :uuh: Do you think he coloured it? :?

Woodrow
02-21-2007, 01:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Subhanallah, how sad. Is that how Christians usually do exorcism?

On a side note, Wow, mashaallah what a beard!!! :uuh: Do you think he coloured it? :?
You will find many different forms of exorcism in the many different Christian denominations.

That Priest was Russian Orthodox and I would say that based on the fact he was excommunicated he was not following the approved methods.

The beard is mandatory for the various Orthodox denominations although typically only the priests are the ones who will wear them today although they are supposed to be worn by all males.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umar001
02-21-2007, 02:09 PM
I guess he should go prison, but I mean I dont think many people should condemn him.

I really don't know what to make of it.

Pk_#2
02-21-2007, 02:33 PM
That's really mean what they do, and theres different types of ways to do it aswell :muddlehea

People cried for him, he must have been really close to people, he is a priest after all :D

Why didn't the nuns help the other nun, or isit something ok to do, considered 'normal' :oS :uuh:

Umar001
02-21-2007, 02:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
That's really mean what they do, and theres different types of ways to do it aswell :muddlehea

People cried for him, he must have been really close to people, he is a priest after all :D

Why didn't the nuns help the other nun, or isit something ok to do, considered 'normal' :oS :uuh:
The nuns were helping the other nun in their minds.

This is an act where they try to drive the shayateen out sister, of course they gonna find it hard.

As for whether it is something ok to do, well I think there might be some ways more accepted than others, they did says that there are some regulations within some denominations.

Anyhow, I don think this is a religious discussion as such, I felt it was more of news, but lol I guess questions will ocme up. :p

Pk_#2
02-21-2007, 03:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
The nuns were helping the other nun in their minds.

This is an act where they try to drive the shayateen out sister, of course they gonna find it hard.

As for whether it is something ok to do, well I think there might be some ways more accepted than others, they did says that there are some regulations within some denominations.

Anyhow, I don think this is a religious discussion as such, I felt it was more of news, but lol I guess questions will ocme up. :p
come* up bro :rolleyes:

Ok thanks for the reply, jazakAllah :)

imsadimsad:'(:'( scary!

Woodrow
02-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Hard to decide if it is a news topic or a releigion topic., since it is news about religion. Questions about Orthodox Christianity are expected. I think it would be good for some of the Christian members to state how exorcisms are followed in their denomination. I know the Catholics have some very strict rulings and only priests that are especially trained are permitted to perform them.

I seem to recall that the Orthodox denominations also have similar rulings. Apparantly that priest was not doing as he was permitted. I do not believe we have any Greek or Russian Orthodox members so we may not get their views.

Pk_#2
02-21-2007, 03:10 PM
was you a catholic gramps?

You know them peoplez..... why did they think she was possessed by a devil?

this is creepy :uuh:

Woodrow
02-21-2007, 03:26 PM
I was Catholic until my early or mid 20s. there have been a number of changes since those ancient days LOL

Possession is usually not even considered unless the person is exhibiting some very strong supernatural things. Such as levitating, making objects fly around, sudden bursts of superhuman strength. Speaking in unknown languages, and other stuff like that. not, your every day psychotic episodes.

The Orthodox Catholics and the Roman Catholics are nearly identical except for recognition of the Pope.

Muslim Knight
02-21-2007, 04:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

The Orthodox Catholics and the Roman Catholics are nearly identical except for recognition of the Pope.
Just curious if you could explain that to me. As far as I know there can be only one Pope at a time in the world. Do the two denominations have separate Popes?

Woodrow
02-21-2007, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
Just curious if you could explain that to me. As far as I know there can be only one Pope at a time in the world. Do the two denominations have separate Popes?
The Orthodox Churches have allegiance to the Patriarch of Constantinople, the Coptics have Allegiance to the Bishop of Alexandria, only roman Catholics recognize the Bishop of Rome as being the Pope. But Roman Catholics are the single largest denomination although the total number of protestants now out number the number of catholics. But the protestants are divided into many denominations the largest single protestant denomination being Baptists although many Baptists do not consider themselves to be protestants.

The Protestant Churches do not have a central authority.

The Mormon church has it's own hierarchy.

Keltoi
02-21-2007, 07:50 PM
I don't know how I feel about exorcisms. I'm sure possession is possible, but I just don't know how one would go about proving a possession rather than a case of mental or physical illness. The Catholic Church requires a priest to get permission before he attempts an exorcism, and from what I understand they never give that permission anymore.

duskiness
02-21-2007, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
The Catholic Church requires a priest to get permission before he attempts an exorcism, and from what I understand they never give that permission anymore.
i think they really do gie this permission. There are still exorcists in RCC.
there is a good article on it on wiki. here (also about Islam)

at the end there is something about this case:
In 2005, Romanian nun Maricica Irina Cornici, 23, heard voices telling her she was sinful, and had been treated for schizophrenia. She was subjected to exorcism allegedly conducted by 29-year-old Daniel Petre Corogeanu, an Orthodox monk of the Holy Trinity convent in the nearby village of Tanacu. Cornici was bound to a cross, gagged with a towel, and left in a dark room without food or water for three days.[1][2] Initially it was believed that she died of suffocation and dehydration during the exorcism. However an autopsy carried out on the exhumed body showed that she died of an adrenaline overdose mistakenly administered by a medic

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.