/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is nail varnish allowed when prayin?

Sunflower
02-23-2007, 05:27 PM
:sl:

theres this girl at my uni and shes an ahmad and she beleives that you can pray with nail varnish on but i tried to expalin to her that you cant because it doesnt let water touch your nails etc.. but then she said that when people wear henna its the same sort of thing is that true?? i dont think. in addition when i said id bring her a fatwa or something she said she doesnt believe in them and that she only follows the qura'ans teachings and hadiths that do not contradict the quran. so what i am trying to say is could anyone give me a HADITH if there is of it saying that we are not allowed to wear nail varnish when praying.

Jazakallahu-Khairun

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
nelly
02-23-2007, 05:30 PM
sorry sis but i dnt no any hadeeth on that. But i wud certainly like 2 no coz i wear henna on my nails

SUMMAYAH
02-23-2007, 05:39 PM
From logical thinking, henna is okay (as long as it isn't chemically modified) and nail varnish is not, as wudu water cannot penetrate through it.

strider
02-23-2007, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sunflower

theres this girl at my uni and shes an ahmad and she beleives that you can pray with nail varnish on but i tried to expalin to her that you cant because it doesnt let water touch your nails etc.. but then she said that when people wear henna its the same sort of thing is that true?? i dont think. in addition when i said id bring her a fatwa or something she said she doesnt believe in them and that she only follows the qura'ans teachings and hadiths that do not contradict the quran. so what i am trying to say is could anyone give me a HADITH if there is of it saying that we are not allowed to wear nail varnish when praying.

Jazakallahu-Khairun

:w:
Well, she's right. Nothing of what you said that you claimed she said points to her denying we need to make wudhu which would require removing the varnish. If one was to make wudhu or have a bath and then put on nail varnish and perform salah, where is the nullifer of prayer in such an equation? There isn't one.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sunflower
02-23-2007, 05:50 PM
sorry i may not have made me self clear - she had nail varnish on and was making wudhu - n i alwyas though that u couldnt do that.

sis SUMMAYAH - i said that but then she said that henna stops water getting to the nail in the same way that nail varnish does?is this right? coz i alwys put henna on my nails

SUMMAYAH
02-23-2007, 05:52 PM
the real henna doesn't create a barrier like nail varnish does.

Sunflower
02-23-2007, 05:55 PM
ok thanks for that ill tell her that but doubt shell believe me - at least i can say i have tried my best at the end of the day!

strider
02-23-2007, 05:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sunflower
sorry i may not have made me self clear - she had nail varnish on and was making wudhu - n i alwyas though that u couldnt do that.
Jazakumullah Khair, for the clarification. :)

sis SUMMAYAH - i said that but then she said that henna stops water getting to the nail in the same way that nail varnish does?is this right? coz i alwys put henna on my nails
Henna is 100% natural and has a staining effect on the nails and skin rather than acting as a barrier.

Maarya
02-23-2007, 06:11 PM
all the sisters are right - henna is a dye so water can still go to the nails but the nail polish is a cover - its a barrier - that doesnt let water through.

so many sisters in my area dont know that and when you tell them they are really suprised and some dont beleive it

peaceman
02-27-2007, 09:48 AM

For the sister here, it is of no benefit to repeat the forbiddance, if she refuses to accept it. The knowledge needs to flow, and if she doesn't accept it, the knowledge runs into a barrier. Perhaps you could talk about a different subject that she would be willing to listen to, and Allah will give both of you tremendous rewards. It is important to use humbleness and wisdom, so that the knowledge gets increased.

That being said, the scholars state that the conditions of a valid wudhu and ghusl is that the water reach the skin. The henna initially is a thick cream, and initially needs to be removed to allow the water to reach through. The dye remaining afterwards does not prevent the water from reaching through.

Also, it is encumbant on everyone to follow the scholars in the legal rulings and interpretations, and not to follow ones own personal opinions and judgements.

And Allah knows

nelly
02-27-2007, 09:54 AM
so water needs to reach the skin. wot if u hav mascara on and u just wash over it. does it hav 2 reach the lashes aswell?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.