/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A question of curiosity

England
02-23-2007, 07:27 PM
In Islam talking, flirting, or even looking at a girl is considered "haram." You have to look away, ignore them etc. How the bloody hell do you find a girl to get married to? If you was to do that then surely you'd have no chance with a girl or boy, whatever tickles your fancy. You're basically showing to every girl/boy that "I'm not interested."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strider
02-23-2007, 07:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
In Islam talking, flirting, or even looking at a girl is considered "haram." You have to look away, ignore them etc. How the bloody hell do you find a girl to get married to? If you was to do that then surely you'd have no chance with a girl or boy, whatever tickles your fancy. You're basically showing to every girl/boy that "I'm not interested."
:)

Talking is not forbidden, though flirting is. Usually, people meet with their prospective spouses in the presence of an individual who is acting as a go between. So you don't have to be blatantly rude and ignore them.

nelly
02-23-2007, 07:38 PM
so is it ok 2 hav face 2 face conversations wiv the opposite sex

strider
02-23-2007, 07:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nelly
so is it ok 2 hav face 2 face conversations wiv the opposite sex
Yes, providing the conversation is:
1- necessary and appropriate
2- strange men and women do not find themselves isolated.

It has been narrated in Ahadith, '' When a man is alone with a woman the Shaytan makes a third” (Tirmidhi).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
England
02-23-2007, 07:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
:)

Talking is not forbidden, though flirting is. Usually, people meet with their prospective spouses in the presence of an individual who is acting as a go between. So you don't have to be blatantly rude and ignore them.
Ok thanks for the response. Just wondering. It must be hard not to flirt with an attractive person though.

nelly
02-23-2007, 07:52 PM
well i guess 2 prevent that u best not talk 2 them

England
02-23-2007, 07:54 PM
well i guess 2 prevent that u best not talk 2 them
Which would then lead all the way back to the question that started this thread.

nelly
02-23-2007, 07:56 PM
well i guess if ur interested in marryin them then i suppose u cud talk on the fne. Theres nothin wrong in that is there?

strider
02-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Ok thanks for the response. Just wondering. It must be hard not to flirt with an attractive person though.
Islam teaches strange men and women to observe modesty and refrain from idle pleasures which can lead to something more complicated and sinful.:)

nelly
02-23-2007, 08:01 PM
but wot if u r interested in them in the sense that u may want 2 marry them, can u talk on the fne 2 get 2 no them?

England
02-23-2007, 08:02 PM
well i guess if ur interested in marryin them then i suppose u cud talk on the fne. Theres nothin wrong in that is there?
Well with me being non-muslim....YEAH I'd like to know what she looks like :playing: The question is how would you have got the phone number? By parents inteference? Is marrying your cousin "haram?"

nelly
02-23-2007, 08:05 PM
well if u r intendin on marryin her u can see wot she luks like. Marryin ur cousin is allowed in islam

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
No we can marry cousins...

strider
but wot if u r interested in them in the sense that u may want 2 marry them, can u talk on the fne 2 get 2 no them?
Not alone, no.

Is marrying your cousin "haram?"
No.

England
02-23-2007, 08:07 PM
well if u r intendin on marryin her u can see wot she luks like. Marryin ur cousin is allowed in islam
And if she looks like a moose or smells like a fish you can then refuse to marry her?

nelly
02-23-2007, 08:09 PM
ok if u wana put it like that!

strider
02-23-2007, 08:09 PM
And if she looks like a moose or smells like a fish you can then refuse to marry her?
Sure, if you don't fancy marrying a woman who looks like a moose or smells like a fish.:D Nobody is going to hold your personal preference against you.

Malaikah
02-24-2007, 12:31 PM
No, it is really easy actually. I'm sure even you can do it, it just takes a little faith in God, patience, and avoiding looking at women in the first place.

Well with me being non-muslim....YEAH I'd like to know what she looks like :playing: The question is how would you have got the phone number? By parents inteference? Is marrying your cousin "haram?"
You are allowed to look at a prospective husband/wife for as long as you need to, but that doesn't mean that one can go around looking at everyone in the hope of finding a good looking girl/guy. Only once the possibility of marriage is being discussed.

And you don't call the girl lol, you call her dad.

Of course.

Muslim Knight
02-24-2007, 12:55 PM
We're not forced to marry anyone at any point of time. But marriage is encouraged because it can prevent a lot of wrong things. In addition to that marriage makes the couple responsible individuals.

There is certain degree of freedom given in choosing a spouse. But as a rule of thumb the Prophet recommends marrying someone you have feelings for. In addition to that, there are several criteria more suggested to lead to successful and joyful marriage.

Boy, I'm feeling all flower today.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.