/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Two questions for Christians (serious)

Philosopher
02-24-2007, 06:29 AM
Hello,

These two questions were really bugging me as my atheist friends love to make jokes out of Christianity and I wanted to know what they're saying is true or not.

1.) Do you believe that the world is 6000 years old?

2.) Do you believe Noah carried dinosaurs in is ark?

Thanks.

Note: This thread is not intended for debate. I provided questions and I want answers. No debating.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
02-24-2007, 07:15 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher
Apparenly, Jews do. I never thought that Christians might also have this belief actually.

LOL! :D Now that should be interesting... although I am sure dinasours were extinct before humans came around, weren't they?:?

duskiness
02-24-2007, 10:09 AM
1)no
2)no
i have this sneaky feeling, that you would like to prove me wrong... ;)

Muslim Knight
02-24-2007, 10:13 AM
lol, sis Malaikah, this question was intended for Christians (read carefully). We Muslims should refrain from answering. Hehehe...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
02-24-2007, 10:34 AM
:sl:

^Yeh, I know, but I didn't answer, I just commented. :)

Malaikah
02-24-2007, 10:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by duskiness
1)no
Do you know why the Jews believe this but you don't?:?

NoName55
02-24-2007, 11:08 AM

i have this sneaky feeling, that you would like to prove me wrong... ;)
Ditto :D

Peace

ManchesterFolk
02-24-2007, 06:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Do you know why the Jews believe this but you don't?:?
Why not ask them?

Philosopher
02-24-2007, 06:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
Why not ask them?
Well, Jews dont believe them.

If Christians dont believe in 6000 year old world, they why are there young earth creationists? Are hey misguided Christians?

ManchesterFolk
02-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Well, Jews dont believe them.

If Christians dont believe in 6000 year old world, they why are there young earth creationists? Are hey misguided Christians?
Wait, what?

The Jews here on this forum very much believe that the world is 6,000 years old. Christian opinions vary, and I doubt you will find a consensus here.

Philosopher
02-24-2007, 06:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
Wait, what?

The Jews here on this forum very much believe that the world is 6,000 years old. Christian opinions vary, and I doubt you will find a consensus here.
Is there a consensus among Jews?

czgibson
02-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Greetings,

I think the questions you've asked are directed at a specific group of Christians, not all of them. They seem to be designed to bait certain fundamentalist groups of Christians (such as Young Earth Creationists), and I don't think they are representative of the beliefs of mainstream Christianity.

Some Christians do apparently believe the world is 6000 years old. This belief seems to have started with this guy.

As for dinosaurs on the ark, I have no idea. Some Christians believe that dinosaurs are actually dragons:

format_quote Originally Posted by answersingenesis
Are Dinosaurs Mentioned in Ancient Literature?

Interestingly, the word ‘dragon’ is used a number of times in the Old Testament. In most instances, the word dinosaur could substitute for dragon and it would fit very nicely. Creation scientists believe that dinosaurs were called dragons before the word dinosaur was invented in the 1800s. We would not expect to find the word dinosaur in Bibles like the Authorized Version (1611), as it was translated well before the word dinosaur was ever used.

Also, there are many very old history books in various libraries around the world that have detailed records of dragons and their encounters with people. Surprisingly (or not so surprisingly for creationists), many of these descriptions of dragons fit with how modern scientists would describe dinosaurs, even Tyrannosaurus. Unfortunately, this evidence is not considered valid by evolutionists. Why? Only because their belief is that man and dinosaurs did not live at the same time!

However, the more we research the historical literature, the more we realize there is overwhelming evidence that dragons were real beasts, much like our modern reconstructions of dinosaurs, and that their existence has been recorded by many different people, even just hundreds of years ago.
Hope that's of interest.

Peace

Grace Seeker
02-24-2007, 09:47 PM
I recently went to a seminar for children's pastors where one workshop speaker began by presenting a dispensational history of the world. And he claimed it was getting close to about 7,000 years. After that statement he got applause from nearly everyone in the room.

You will find Christians all over the place on these two questions. There are some who believe 6000 years and dinosaurs on Noahs ark. Some believe the flood killed the dinosaurs; others that they were extinct before the flood, but still lived with people. Some believe that the dinosaurs never really existed and the fossils are something that God merely created in the ground as he created the world. And there are some that think all of these ideas are pure rubbish, that the world is billions of years old, the universe older, that dinosaurs lived long before mankind was ever evolved into existence, and that both Adam and Noah are pure myth. (A few would even put Abraham, Moses, and David in the category of myth.)

As I said, you will find all kinds.

If you are interested in learning more about the views of those who hold to the 6000 years theory, read the works of Henry Morris or check out this website by the Institute for Creation Research.

Count DeSheep
02-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Yes to the first, no to the second. In my experience with Christians, that is how most would answer. Then again, I'm young, so I haven't had the eons of experience some people have had. *cough*Grace Seeker*cough*

Woodrow
02-24-2007, 11:43 PM

a few billion years ago (give or take a few eons) I was a very devout Catholic at that time the Catholic teachings for both questions were a very loud NO.

as you may have noticed the teachings on this differ among various Christian denominations. Christianity can not be placed into any single set of beliefs. All Christians have some things in common, but in many area they differ widely.

ManchesterFolk
02-25-2007, 12:43 AM
Is there a consensus among Jews?
Among ones who observe the scriptures of Judaism, yes.

Malaikah
02-25-2007, 01:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
You will find Christians all over the place on these two questions. There are some who believe 6000 years and dinosaurs on Noahs ark. Some believe the flood killed the dinosaurs; others that they were extinct before the flood, but still lived with people. Some believe that the dinosaurs never really existed and the fossils are something that God merely created in the ground as he created the world.
lol, this is hilarious. Dinosaurs became extinct about 65 million years ago, what were they doing on Noahs ark if Noah lived with in 6000 years ago?:giggling:

They can't answer yes to both question 1 and 2, if they believe the world is 6000 years old, then the only thing they can possible believe is that dinosaurs never existed and only their fossils did.

But what about the fossils of humans that date back ~200 thousand years? Do they also believe they were never really alive, and just skeletons that God put their?:?

ManchesterFolk
02-25-2007, 01:08 AM
lol, this is hilarious. Dinosaurs became extinct about 65 million years ago, what were they doing on Noahs ark if Noah lived with in 6000 years ago?:giggling:

They can't answer yes to both question 1 and 2, if they believe the world is 6000 years old, then the only thing they can possible believe is that dinosaurs never existed and only their fossils did.
Well Jews believe that God puts all sort of things to test there faith. A belief is also that the world was created in mature form. For example, when Adam was created he was officialy one day old, yet he had the body of a 20 year old. Can this not be applied to the earth? That is what they believe I think.

Better to ask the Rabbi in the Jewish thread though.

Malaikah
02-25-2007, 01:09 AM
^Yeh, I asked in their before, and that is what they explained to me, more or less.

But that still doesn't explain the dinosaurs!

rebelishaulman
02-25-2007, 01:18 AM
^Yeh, I asked in their before, and that is what they explained to me, more or less.

But that still doesn't explain the dinosaurs!
What about dino fossils needs explaining?

Malaikah
02-25-2007, 01:29 AM
^I don't think Jews believe that there were dinosaurs on Noah's ark, do they?

I was referring to the Christian sects who believe that.

rebelishaulman
02-25-2007, 01:38 AM
^I don't think Jews believe that there were dinosaurs on Noah's ark, do they?

I was referring to the Christian sects who believe that.
I don't believe so. They might have never existed! They may have, and the carbon dating system which is all based on the assumption there is no such thing as G-d creating the earth could have the dating all wrong! There are kabbalistic answers for this as well Tractate Sanhedrin 97a, which was redacted approximately 1,500 years ago states, "The world will exist for six thousand years and in the seven-thousandth year, it will be destroyed." An important Kabbalistic work, the Sefer HaTemunah, written in the first century, writes that there were 6 cycles of 7,000 years each which preceded our present cycle of creation. This would explain the finding of ancient fossils of the dinosaurs! Who knows!

It is very deep stuff, and Judaism does not teach every truth because we are not meant to know everything about Hashems plan.

Speaking of why Hashem might have done something is tough stuff to deal with when everyone in the world needs an answer. We have many theories, but no truth.

It is like me asking a 2 year old to answer a college math equation. Now compare a humans brain to G-d's infinite wisdom!

Malaikah
02-25-2007, 01:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rebelishaulman
I don't believe so. They might have never existed! They may have, and the carbon dating system which is all based on the assumption there is no such thing as G-d creating the earth could have the dating all wrong!
Not really... the assumption isn't whether God created the universe or not, the assumption is that it was not created directly as it is no in it's mature form, rather it started out as *something* and became what it is not over billions of years. A pretty fair assumption.

There are kabbalistic answers for this as well Tractate Sanhedrin 97a, which was redacted approximately 1,500 years ago states, "The world will exist for six thousand years and in the seven-thousandth year, it will be destroyed." An important Kabbalistic work, the Sefer HaTemunah, written in the first century, writes that there were 6 cycles of 7,000 years each which preceded our present cycle of creation. This would explain the finding of ancient fossils of the dinosaurs! Who knows!
Watch out for the Questions for Jews thread, I would like to ask something relating to this in there...

It is very deep stuff, and Judaism does not teach every truth because we are not meant to know everything about Hashems plan.

Speaking of why Hashem might have done something is tough stuff to deal with when everyone in the world needs an answer. We have many theories, but no truth.

It is like me asking a 2 year old to answer a college math equation. Now compare a humans brain to G-d's infinite wisdom!
Yeh, no doubt!

rebelishaulman
02-25-2007, 01:47 AM
Not really... the assumption isn't whether God created the universe or not, the assumption is that it was not created directly as it is no in it's mature form, rather it started out as *something* and became what it is not over billions of years. A pretty fair assumption.
A scientist that does not believe in G-d has no reason to assume that the age of the world is different than what it appears to be. The one who believes in G-d, however, can perfectly accept the fact that the world was created in a mature state, since Adam was created in a mature state.

Malaikah
02-25-2007, 02:21 AM
^Muslims have no reason to believe the world was created in a mature state, and also have no problem with the scientific study of the age of the earth.

You don't have to be Godless to believe it.

Philosopher
02-25-2007, 03:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

I think the questions you've asked are directed at a specific group of Christians, not all of them. They seem to be designed to bait certain fundamentalist groups of Christians (such as Young Earth Creationists), and I don't think they are representative of the beliefs of mainstream Christianity.

Some Christians do apparently believe the world is 6000 years old. This belief seems to have started with this guy.

As for dinosaurs on the ark, I have no idea. Some Christians believe that dinosaurs are actually dragons:

Hope that's of interest.

Peace
Are certain are these Christians that the dragons were meant to be dinosaurs? Are they retrofitting?

Grace Seeker
02-25-2007, 03:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
as you may have noticed the teachings on this differ among various Christian denominations. Christianity can not be placed into any single set of beliefs. All Christians have some things in common, but in many area they differ widely.

And not just from denomination to denomination, but from congregation to congregation, and often even among individual members of one congregation, especially on a topic such as this.

But what about the fossils of humans that date back ~200 thousand years? Do they also believe they were never really alive, and just skeletons that God put their?:?
Yes, some of it is hilarious. I'm not saying that anyone is right or wrong. But Philosopher wanted to know what Christians believe. On this topic, some of the things that some Christians believe (emphasis on some, not all) are even contradictory. One never said that all Christians used logic in all aspects of their faith. Some just want to believe what they want to believe and make the facts fit their beliefs, even if it takes a hammer to do so. Thus, some do answer yes to both question #1 and question #2, even if you think they can't.

As to the dating that you asked of, some Christians just dismiss the dating as inaccurate. And yes, some do believe that the fossils are simply created as is from animals that never ever existed. Some also believe that the light from distant stars was created in transit from those stars so that that light which comes from stars that is more than 6000 was created by God in space, not on the surface of the star. It may sound an incredible tale, but Philosopher was not asking for my critique of these various views.

sister03
02-25-2007, 03:33 PM
1.we dont believe that the world is 2 thousand years old.
2.we believe that Noah peace upon him made the ark in command of.
Hello,

These two questions were really bugging me as my atheist friends love to make jokes out of Christianity and I wanted to know what they're saying is true or not.

Thanks.

Note: This thread is not intended for debate. I provided questions and I want answers. No debating.

duskiness
02-25-2007, 05:51 PM
it just popped up in my mind...
I think it might be difficult to put pairs of all animals on ark...but try to add there pair of brachiosaurus . I bet it was crowdy :D

Grace Seeker
02-25-2007, 06:00 PM
it just popped up in my mind...
I think it might be difficult to put pairs of all animals on ark...but try to add there pair of brachiosaurus . I bet it was crowdy :D

Well, another common belief among those who hold to what is called the "new earth" model is that it doesn't take eons for mutations to produce new species

some of them believe in a sort of evolution where Noah would have taken one pair of horses from which all subsequent types of horses, donkey, zebra, etc then developed rather quickly. But they would reject the idea that horses, cows, elephants, and camels all evolved from a common ancestor, so there would have had to have been each of these on board.

On another board, I was referred to this slide presentation Noah's Ark: A Feasibility Study when I asked some of these same type of questions.

Pygoscelis
02-26-2007, 08:35 AM
I was under the impression that a lot of Christians didn't believe dinosaurs existed at all. Perhaps I'd been misled on that.

Grace Seeker
02-26-2007, 09:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I was under the impression that a lot of Christians didn't believe dinosaurs existed at all. Perhaps I'd been misled on that.
Well, I've never done a poll. So speaking only from my own limited range of knowledge to that point, all of it being anectodal, I think that nearly all Christians accept that there were once dinosaurs. But if I run in different circles than you do, you could get the entirely opposite result.

duskiness
02-26-2007, 11:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
i think you forgot to add that we also can't count (famous: 1+1+1 =?) ;)

Count DeSheep
02-27-2007, 01:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Well, I've never done a poll. So speaking only from my own limited range of knowledge to that point, all of it being anectodal, I think that nearly all Christians accept that there were once dinosaurs. But if I run in different circles than you do, you could get the entirely opposite result.
I must be running in square circles, then. XP Very few Christians I've met believe that dinosaurs walked the Earth. They say Allah put the remains there, science is wrong, or whatever else. Take note, I live in a city where the church to human ratio is 5:1. Somewhere around that number. XD

Woodrow
02-27-2007, 01:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Count DeSheep
I must be running in square circles, then. XP Very few Christians I've met believe that dinosaurs walked the Earth. They say Allah put the remains there, science is wrong, or whatever else. Take note, I live in a city where the church to human ratio is 5:1. Somewhere around that number. XD
I find that to be the belief of many of the Various Baptist denominations and most of the Fundamentalistic denominations.

However, all of the Catholic, Orthodox and Anglican Denominations acknowledge dinosaurs.

Skillganon
02-27-2007, 01:17 AM
That is a very funny thread.

Grace Seeker
02-27-2007, 02:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Count DeSheep
Take note, I live in a city where the church to human ratio is 5:1. Somewhere around that number. XD

5 churches for every 1 human being, that is indeed a very strange shaped circle :rollseyes

brenton
02-27-2007, 02:33 AM
I believe that dinosaurs existed, but:
1) at least 6000 years, but probably much much older; we have good, easily datable anthropological data of 30, 40, 50 thousand years (I mean beyond physical biology, geology, astronomy, etc.)
2) no

I do believe in dragons, though, which makes me weird I guess. I don't think they were on the ark.

*Hana*
02-27-2007, 02:51 AM
Salam Alaikum:

This whole thread is very strange to me, actually. I was a Christian most of my life, spent all of my time with Christians from various denominations and still do. Not once have I met one that didn't believe in dinosaurs. :muddlehea

I'm completely surprised to hear there are some that truly don't believe they existed. :rollseyes

Very enlightening to say the least. :)

wasalam,
Hana

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.