/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sixty thousand anti-Islamic books?

GreatLoveJesus
02-24-2007, 01:41 PM
:sl:

I was listening to a lecture by the late Ahmad Deedat, where he quoted a previous Christian missionary saying that in the past 150 years (I believe he was referring to 1800-1950) there were 60 thousand anti-Islamic books published by Christians.

Is this true? If it were, that would signal more than one book per day for 150 years, something that is unimaginable for us Muslims to do, even to only defend our religion.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
02-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Whenever things get too overwhelming for me I like to recall these verses and they put peace in my heart! and then I am not too concerned with what they publish!

يُرِيدُونَ لِيُطْفِؤُوا نُورَ اللَّهِ بِأَفْوَاهِهِمْ وَاللَّهُ مُتِمُّ نُورِهِ وَلَوْ كَرِهَ الْكَافِرُونَ {8}
[Shakir 61:8] They desire to put out the light of Allah with their mouths but Allah will perfect His light, though the unbelievers may be averse.
[Yusufali 61:8] Their intention is to extinguish Allah's Light (by blowing) with their mouths: But Allah will complete (the revelation of) His Light, even though the Unbelievers may detest (it).
[Pickthal 61:8] Fain would they put out the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah will perfect His light however much the disbelievers are averse.

إِنَّا نَحْنُ نَزَّلْنَا الذِّكْرَ وَإِنَّا لَهُ لَحَافِظُونَ
9}
[Shakir 15:9] Surely We have revealed the Reminder and We will most surely be its guardian.
[Yusufali 15:9] We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption).
[Pickthal 15:9] Lo! We, even We, reveal the Reminder, and lo! We verily are its Guardian.

فَاصْبِرْ كَمَا صَبَرَ أُوْلُوا الْعَزْمِ مِنَ الرُّسُلِ وَلَا تَسْتَعْجِل لَّهُمْ كَأَنَّهُمْ يَوْمَ يَرَوْنَ مَا يُوعَدُونَ لَمْ يَلْبَثُوا إِلَّا سَاعَةً مِّن نَّهَارٍ بَلَاغٌ فَهَلْ يُهْلَكُ إِلَّا الْقَوْمُ الْفَاسِقُونَ {35}
[Shakir 46:35] Therefore bear up patiently as did the messengers endowed with constancy bear up with patience and do not seek to hasten for them (their doom). On the day that they shall see what they are promised they shall be as if they had not tarried save an hour of the day. A sufficient exposition! Shall then any be destroyed save the transgressing people?
[Yusufali 46:35] Therefore patiently persevere, as did (all) messengers of inflexible purpose; and be in no haste about the (Unbelievers). On the Day that they see the (Punishment) promised them, (it will be) as if they had not tarried more than an hour in a single day. (Thine but) to proclaim the Message: but shall any be destroyed except those who transgress?
[Pickthal 46:35] Then have patience (O Muhammad) even as the stout of heart among the messengers (of old) had patience, and seek not to hasten on (the doom) for them. On the day when they see that which they are promised (it will seem to them) as though they had tarried but an hour of daylight. A clear message. Shall any be destroyed save evil-living folk?
إِنَّهُمْ يَكِيدُونَ كَيْدًا {15}
[Shakir 86:15] Surely they will make a scheme,
[Yusufali 86:15] As for them, they are but plotting a scheme,
[Pickthal 86:15] Lo! they plot a plot (against thee, O Muhammad)

وَأَكِيدُ كَيْدًا {16}
[Shakir 86:16] And I (too) will make a scheme.
[Yusufali 86:16] And I am planning a scheme.
[Pickthal 86:16] And I plot a plot (against them).

فَمَهِّلِ الْكَافِرِينَ أَمْهِلْهُمْ رُوَيْدًا
{17}
[Shakir 86:17] So grant the unbelievers a respite: let them alone for a while.
[Yusufali 86:17] Therefore grant a delay to the Unbelievers: Give respite to them gently (for awhile).
[Pickthal 86:17] So give a respite to the disbelievers. Deal thou gently with them for a while.

Woodrow
02-24-2007, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GreatLoveJesus
:sl:

I was listening to a lecture by the late Ahmad Deedat, where he quoted a previous Christian missionary saying that in the past 150 years (I believe he was referring to 1800-1950) there were 60 thousand anti-Islamic books published by Christians.

Is this true? If it were, that would signal more than one book per day for 150 years, something that is unimaginable for us Muslims to do, even to only defend our religion.
Based on the number of radical Christian denominations, I would say that is an underestimate. Although there are only a handful of mainstream stream denominations, Possibly 150 at most, there are thousands of radical, fundamentalist groups that are constantly puplishing pamphlets, usually against every religion and denomination except their own. Most of these are small books more comic book like. There are an estimated 14,000 of those groups. Out of the many books those little groups publish each year if each one only published one anti-Islamic book each year it would only take 4.3 years to pass the 60,000 mark.

KAding
02-25-2007, 12:59 AM
And of course there are a lot of anti-Islamic books written by people who are formally Christians, but who are not religiously motivated, like Daniel Pipes or Robert Spencer. Besides, define 'anti-Islamic'. Is Bernard Lewis anti-Islamic for example?

Nevertheless 160,000 seems a bit of a stretch!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
02-25-2007, 01:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
And of course there are a lot of anti-Islamic books written by people who are formally Christians, but who are not religiously motivated, like Daniel Pipes or Robert Spencer. Besides, define 'anti-Islamic'. Is Bernard Lewis anti-Islamic for example?

Nevertheless 160,000 seems a bit of a stretch!
Anti-Islamic is a self-explanatory term. No need to advertise your expertise and wealth of knowledge on the available "literature" ....

Stretch or not-- it doesn't matter how many there are... it is always the same recycled rhetoric, some with a new spin... can't help but wonder what is going on with the psyche with some of these folks... maybe it is a form of religious catharsis......

Pygoscelis
02-25-2007, 03:59 AM
I agree that "anti-islamic" needs to be defined. Does this mean books that are specifically anti-islam or does it count books that are generally anti-religion or even books that are not about religion at all but offensive to islamic views?

جوري
02-25-2007, 05:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I agree that "anti-islamic" needs to be defined. Does this mean books that are specifically anti-islam or does it count books that are generally anti-religion or even books that are not about religion at all but offensive to islamic views?
Oh I know---Here is a fun little exercise we can do.. you can be "Monsieur Poirot"...
and we'll all be the passengers on the LI Express... you can have a sparkly interview with each member and at the end dazzle us with theories about what you have concluded to be an anti-Islamic book!

me me... I'll go first---The answer is simple... no reason to make it more than what it is. (Anti-Islamic books) are written to distort take out of context, ridicule in a none positive and INCCORECT light, Islam, Muslims, the Quran, Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) and the sahaba (the companions).

Books that are written over night to foster political or religious agenda. Books that pass our women as oppressed and our men off as terrorists, and our people dancing on the streets and living in caves sometime back in the 3rd century.... Books that would most likely be banned otherwise you know the same way the Protocols of the elders of Zion are passed off as fiction and come with a little RED side warning and most often create an uproar from the Anti-defamation league and probably have your name entered in the FBI's most profiled --probably as a Nazi should you dare make that purchase (even to enjoy as a fantastic work of fiction). Except since it is anti-Islamic it is found to be true and very en vogue terribly enlightening and oh so true!:blind: .......

Pygoscelis
02-25-2007, 07:46 AM
Um.. ya.

I have no idea what in my post sent you off on your little tirade, but there we have it.

As for roleplaying games, shall we do charades too?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Well she's not the only one who got annoyed. You guys want to define Anti Islamic as if they're mysterious words. It is VERY self explanatory. Anything against Islam. The most defined we can go is go into detail about how against those books are. No need to really go into depth for a definition. Its a right in your face concept. If tis just anti religion, then it would "anti religion" not "anti islam." If I I say anti christian, does it mean all religions? No it means about Christianity...
So how exactly are you trying to define something already visible?

Pygoscelis
02-25-2007, 11:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
as if they're mysterious words.
Statistics are often inflated or deflated by adjusting definitions. When somebody claims a specific number of "anti-islamic" books, you need to know how they are defining "anti-islamic".

For example, is Dawkins' "The God Delusion" "anti-islamic"? It doesn't single Islam out but it definitely opposes Islam, along with all other religions.

Moreover, is it anti-islamic to state that Islamic beliefs are false, or must one state it is dangerous to society? That would account for a big difference in the number counted I am sure.

Is it anti-Islamic to state truths about Islam that may not be viewed well in the foreign culture the book is published, or only derogatory myths?

When you state a number and express shock at that number, you need to know what the number really means.

duskiness
02-25-2007, 11:16 PM
would for example book written from Christian perspective (saying that Muhammad was not a prophet, Quran is not word of God, etc) on Islam be "anti islamic"?

جوري
02-25-2007, 11:52 PM
Statistics are often inflated or deflated by adjusting definitions. When somebody claims a specific number of "anti-islamic" books, you need to know how they are defining "anti-islamic".

For example, is Dawkins' "The God Delusion" "anti-islamic"? It doesn't single Islam out but it definitely opposes Islam, along with all other religions.

Moreover, is it anti-islamic to state that Islamic beliefs are false, or must one state it is dangerous to society? That would account for a big difference in the number counted I am sure.

Is it anti-Islamic to state truths about Islam that may not be viewed well in the foreign culture the book is published, or only derogatory myths?

When you state a number and express shock at that number, you need to know what the number really means.
You are dealing with generalities! I can't think of anything more straightforward that what is already written for an explanation!.. what are we doing here? trying to locate the sensorimotor cortex during surgery for brain tumors involving the precentral and postcentral gyri? COME ON! What is it about said words that is beyond comprehension?... It is really a conundrum why this topic is still an issue?
Someone writing a book calling Allah of Islam The "Moon G-D" does that seem Islamic to you? does it even seem accurate.?... follow that logic through and you can pick out what is accurate and what is anti... easy......

Otherwise your likes or dislikes about a religion any religion isn't even subject for conversation. Don't like something of Islamic Law in general don't become Muslim...it is that simple----- but don't be dictating to Muslims what is the law or what is appropriate... or how interpret the Hadiths and the Quran! especially if you are a clueless ignoramus !

peace!

جوري
02-26-2007, 12:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by duskiness
would for example book written from Christian perspective (saying that Muhammad was not a prophet, Quran is not word of God, etc) on Islam be "anti islamic"?
If you can prove it, then it is just free speech by all means! If you can't as was the admittance of the catholic encyclopedia then anything further written and concluded with an authoritative tone as if the truth is obviously anti-Islamic.....

New Catholic Encyclopaedia

It is this very sort of thing - confronting people with facts - that had captured the attention of many non-Muslims. In fact, there exists a very interesting reference concerning this subject in the New Catholic Encyclopedia. In an article under the subject of the Qur'an, the Catholic Church states:

"Over the centuries, many theories have been offered as to the origin of the Qur'an... Today no sensible man accepts any of these theories!!"

Now here is the age-old Catholic Church, which has been around for so many centuries, denying these futile attempts to explain away the Qur'an.

Indeed, the Qur'an is a problem for the Catholic Church. It states that it is revelation, so they study it. Certainly, they would love to find proof that it is not, but they cannot. They cannot find a viable explanation. But at least they are honest in their research and do not accept the first unsubstantiated interpretation which comes along. The Church states that in fourteen centuries it has not yet been presented a sensible explanation. At least it admits that the Qur'an is not an easy subject to dismiss. Certainly, other people are much less honest. They quickly say, "Oh, the Qur'an came from here. The Qur'an came from there." And they do not even examine the credibility of what they are stating most of the time.

Of course, such a statement by the Catholic Church leaves the everyday Christian in some difficulty. It just may be that he has his own ideas as to the origin of the Qur'an, but as a single member of the Church, he cannot really act upon his own theory. Such an action would be contrary to the obedience, allegiance and loyalty which the Church demands. By virtue of his membership, he must accept what the Catholic Church declares without question and establish its teachings as part of his everyday routine. So, in essence, if the Catholic Church as a whole is saying, "Do not listen to these unconfirmed reports about the Qur'an," then what can be said about the Islamic point of view? If even non-Muslims are admitting that there is something to the Qur'an - something that has to be acknowledged - then why are people so stubborn and defensive and hostile when Muslims advance the very same theory? This is certainly something for those with a mind to contemplate - something to ponder for those of understanding!

There is nothing further on this subject matter that one needs to impart!

Woodrow
02-26-2007, 12:03 AM
There is a difference between something being non-Muslim and something being anti-Islamic. Non-Muslim is just views that differ from how something is viewed from the Muslim perspective. They are differences of opinion.

Anti-Islamic targets Islam and is openly abusive against Islam. An anti-Islamic book leaves no doubt it is written as being specifically directed against Islam.

I am not going to target any religion, but I do know of at least one alleged Denomination that publishes books of that nature very profusely. But, in all fairness I will say they are quite an equal opportunity anti-everybody denomination. They also publish books that are anti-Catholic, Anti-Jew, anti-Mormon and nearly anti-every religion/denomination except for their own denomination within their stated religion.

At the rate they spew hatred I could easily believe that one little denomination could have published 60,000 anti-Islamic books all by themselves.

I don't see much reason for much more being said about these books. We are aware they exist, but I doubt if any of us intend to seek them out to read.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-26-2007, 04:44 AM
What the heck is so difficult about defining anti islam? since when did saying anti "islam" means "other religions? This is complete craziness that we're even discussing it!

north_malaysian
02-26-2007, 04:53 AM
how about anti-Islamic books written by "Muslims"? It's increasing too, right?

Pygoscelis
02-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Purest_Ambrosia,

That is really cute the way you ended your visceral tirade with the word "Peace".

We are just trying to understand what the number means and if it may be inacruate or misleading. Chill.

Pygoscelis
02-26-2007, 08:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I am not going to target any religion, but I do know of at least one alleged Denomination that publishes books of that nature very profusely. But, in all fairness I will say they are quite an equal opportunity anti-everybody denomination. They also publish books that are anti-Catholic, Anti-Jew, anti-Mormon and nearly anti-every religion/denomination except for their own denomination within their stated religion.
I'm guess you're thinking of southern fundy baptists. The firebrand "YOU SHALL BURN IN HELL HEATHEN!" sort. Don't take them too seriously. Those nice folks hate us atheists even more than you "muzzies" (a term they use that is meant to insult you folks but frankly I think it sounds too cute to be an insult - makes me want to hug you).

But really, I don't think we should take them too seroiusly. These are the people who ban harry potter books and the teletubbies and who boycotted Disney a few years ago because of Donald Duck wearing no pants (no joke).

north_malaysian
02-26-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm guess you're thinking of southern fundy baptists. The firebrand "YOU SHALL BURN IN HELL HEATHEN!" sort. Don't take them too seriously. Those nice folks hate us atheists even more than you "muzzies" (a term they use that is meant to insult you folks but frankly I think it sounds too cute to be an insult - makes me want to hug you).

But really, I don't think we should take them too seroiusly. These are the people who ban harry potter books and the teletubbies and who boycotted Disney a few years ago because of Donald Duck wearing no pants (no joke).
Eh! What's wrong with Teletubbies? (Is it because those teletubbies are Britons?)

Pygoscelis
02-26-2007, 09:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Eh! What's wrong with Teletubbies? (Is it because those teletubbies are Britons?)
They said one of them was gay.

No, I am not making this up.

north_malaysian
02-26-2007, 09:03 AM

Huh??????? Is it? I wonder which one.... hmmmm

How about spongebob?:omg:

syilla
02-26-2007, 09:12 AM

they should boycot reall ppl not cartoons.:-\

Pygoscelis
02-26-2007, 10:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Huh??????? Is it? I wonder which one.... hmmmm

How about spongebob?:omg:
None of them actually are (according to the teletubbies producers)

But these people decided one was (I think it was the pink one or maybe the purple one?) and boycotted them as a result.

This was before 9/11. Since then most of their hate speech has been directed at Muslims, atheists, and Harry Potter.

Keltoi
02-26-2007, 01:48 PM
I think the term "anti-Islam" is fairly easy to define. The problem is that I doubt I could find agreement on my definition. I think a book written with the intention of attacking a religion as a whole and degrading its followers is obviously an "anti" label. However, I think books that are critical of a religion aren't necessarily "anti". If a book is written with the honest purpose of criticizing certain political and social aspects of a religion, and not the faith itself or the people who practice it in general, then it isn't really "anti" religion but a critical book. I guess my definition would revolve around literature that is "attacking" and literature that is "criticizing". To many I'm sure that definition would be too nuanced, but it works for me.

Woodrow
02-26-2007, 01:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I think the term "anti-Islam" is fairly easy to define. The problem is that I doubt I could find agreement on my definition. I think a book written with the intention of attacking a religion as a whole and degrading its followers is obviously an "anti" label. However, I think books that are critical of a religion aren't necessarily "anti". If a book is written with the honest purpose of criticizing certain political and social aspects of a religion, and not the faith itself or the people who practice it in general, then it isn't really "anti" religion but a critical book. I guess my definition would revolve around literature that is "attacking" and literature that is "criticizing". To many I'm sure that definition would be too nuanced, but it works for me.
I have no problem with that definition. I do not consider differences of opinion as being anti. It is only anti if it is done as a deliberate excuse to stir up hatred. Disagreement does not have to be anti.

جوري
02-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Purest_Ambrosia,

That is really cute the way you ended your visceral tirade with the word "Peace".

We are just trying to understand what the number means and if it may be inacruate or misleading. Chill.
You should find other hobbies......... You have so much free time on your hand!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.