/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Halal/Haraam

Anique
02-26-2007, 05:32 AM
Hello.

I will be going away to school later this year. To a school where halal food is not served. I will be living on campus therefore will buy my meals from the school. There are vegetables, which I am fine with eating, however the meats are a big portion of each meal.

My concern is that my family will not be there with me, and also meat will be compulsory for me as I need to maintain my weight for many reasons.

Am I allowed to eat the haraam meat?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
02-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Salams

I've always thought that it was completely haram to eat any types of haram food in any circumstances. Inshallah someone wiser than me will answer the question for you or you could try asking a locol scholar/imam

north_malaysian
02-26-2007, 07:57 AM
Muslims are allowed to eat kosher food right?

'Abd al-Baari
02-26-2007, 08:00 AM
Salams

I dont think so

Is Kosher Halal

Often times Muslim consumers tend to assume 'Kosher' is similar to 'Halal'. Although the slaughtering rituals of Jewish people resemble those of Muslims; kosher and halal are two different entities carrying a different meaning and spirit. Muslims, therefore, are provided with the following basic information about Kosher so they can exercise care in distinguishing halal from kosher.

Kashrut (in Hebrew) is the system of Jewish dietary laws. Kosher (kashur in Hebrew) means 'fit, or proper for use' according to Jewish law. Examples of kosher are: the meat of the 'fore quarter*' of the cattle slaughtered ritually, fruits, vegetables, all fish that have fins*, all wines*, all cheeses*, gelatin*.

The opposite of Kosher, as applied to food in Treif (in Yiddish), or trefah (in Hebrew) meaning 'not suitable for use', or 'forbidden'. Trefah literally means 'torn by a wild beast' (Exodus 22:30). Examples of Trefah are: blood, swine, rabbit*, all shell fish*, wild birds such as wild hen*, wild duck*, and the birds of prey.

(*) These food items exhibit a marked difference between kosher and Halal as well as trefah and haram. The differences are explained elsewhere in this section.

Caution to Muslim Consumers:

Halal is a comprehensive Islamic term encompassing not only the matters of food and drink, but all other matters of daily life. Islam being the final and perfect way of life for humanity, it supersedes all the previously revealed religions including Christianity and Judaism. The rituals in all matters were perfected by God (al-Quran 5:3)

According to Islamic Jurisprudence, no one except God can change forbidden (Haram) things into lawful (halal) for vice-versa. It is forbidden for people to change the lawful (Halal) things into unlawful (Haram), or vice-versa.

Halal is a unique Islamic concept and eating zabiha (Islamically slaughtered) meat is a distinguishing part of a Muslim's identity as expressed by Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him.

Salient differences between kosher and halal are:

Islam prohibits all intoxicating alcohols, liquors, wines and drugs. kashrut regards all wines kosher. Hence food items and drinks showing the kosher symbol containing alcohol are not halal.

Gelatin is considered Kosher by many Jews regardless of its source of origin. If the gelatin is prepared from non-zabiha, Muslims consider it haram (prohibited). Hence foods items such as marshmallows, yogurt, etc., showing kosher symbols are not always halal.

Enzymes (irrespective of their sources even from non-kosher animals) in cheese making are considered mere secretion(pirsah b'almah) according to some kashrut organizations, hence all cheeses are considered kosher. Muslims look for the source of the enzyme in cheese making. If it is coming from the swine, it is considered haram(forbidden). Hence cheeses showing kosher symbols may not be halal.

Jews do not pronounce the name of God on each animal while slaughtering. They feel that uttering the name of God, out of context, is wasteful. Muslims on the other hand pronounce the name of Allah on all animals while slaughtering.

The salient differences between kosher and halal have been illustrated so that Muslim consumers can distinguish halal from kosher.

Muslims in non-Muslim countries should strive to follow the Islamic injunctions in their diet (as well as in every walk of life) and establish their own businesses and institutions to cater to the needs of the Muslim Ummah. By doing so, not only the identity of the Muslims will be preserved, but they will be recognized and respected for their beliefs and practices.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
02-26-2007, 08:23 AM
But many Muslims consume kosher products...

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0798/kosher1.asp

NoName55
02-26-2007, 08:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Muslims are allowed to eat kosher food right?
Yes:sl:

Source: Aljazeera

Why did Allah Almighty allow for the Muslims to eat from the "People of the Book's" (Jews and Christians) food?
There are several possible answers to this question, but the best one lies in the Verses below. First, look at what Allah Almighty said in the Noble Quran regarding the People of the Book's food:

"This day are (all) things good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them. (Lawful unto you in marriage) are (not only) chaste women who are believers, but chaste women among the People of the Book, revealed before your time,- when ye give them their dues, and desire chastity, not lewdness, nor secret intrigues if any one rejects faith, fruitless is his work, and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (all spiritual good). (Quran, 5:5)"

Here is the reason of why their food was made lawful for the Muslims:

"'This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live: You must not eat any fat or any blood.' (From the NIV Bible, Leviticus 3:17)"

"And wherever you live, you must not eat the blood of any bird or animal. (From the NIV Bible, Leviticus 7:26)"

"If anyone eats blood, that person must be cut off from his people.' (From the NIV Bible, Leviticus 7:27)"

Note: Now please be advised that we Muslims do not believe that the contents of today's "Bible" are original Revelations from GOD Almighty. But however, some Divine Revelations have survived.

"Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than God; that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; that which hath been (partly) eaten by a wild animal; unless ye are able to slaughter it (in due form); that which is sacrificed on stone (altars); (forbidden) also is the division (of meat) by raffling with arrows: that is impiety. This day have those who reject faith given up all hope of your religion: yet fear them not but fear me. This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed my favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But if any is forced by hunger, with no inclination to transgression, God is indeed Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (The Noble Quran, 5:3)"

The fact that the Jews' and Christians' meat is supposed to be very clean (blood-free), unlike the pagans' (includes Trinitarians) meat where there are no standards on how to clean it, then this is the main reason why Allah Almighty permitted the Muslims to eat from their meat, despite the fact that they may not invoke GOD Almighty's Holy Name on the animal before they slaughter it, even though Allah Almighty clearly Commanded the Muslims to do that in Noble Verse 5:3 above and in many other Noble Verses in the Noble Quran. That is why Allah Almighty mentioned the "People of the Book" by the name as far as the non-Muslims whom we are allowed to eat their food.
It is important to know that the pagan belief of trinity that the polytheist Trinitarian pagans hold today did exist during Prophet Muhammad's days.

This is clearly proven in the following Noble Verses:

"Say: 'O People of the Book (Jews and Christians)! Come to common terms as between us and you: That we worship none but Allah; that we associate no partners with Him; that we erect not, from among ourselves, Lords and patrons other than Allah.' If then they turn back, say ye: 'Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (bowing to Allah's Will).' (Quran, 3:64)"

"They do blaspheme who say: 'Allah is Christ the son of Mary.' But said Christ: 'O Children of Israel! Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord.' Whoever joins other gods with Allah - Allah will forbid him the Garden, and the Fire will be his abode. There will for the wrongdoers be no one to help. (Quran, 5:72)"

"They do blaspheme who say: God is one of three in a Trinity: for there is no god except One God. If they desist not from their word (of blasphemy), verily a grievous penalty will befall the blasphemers among them. (Quran, 5:73)"

"O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of God aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) an apostle of God, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in God and His apostles.

Say not "Trinity" : desist: it will be better for you: for God is one God: Glory be to Him: (far exalted is He) above having a son.
To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is God as a Disposer of affairs. (Quran, 4:171)"

And Allah Almighty always knows best.
:w:

Anique
02-26-2007, 09:15 PM
So I am under no circumstances not allowed to eat meat? Even if there is no halal meat around?

How am I suppose to survive on vegetables (probably cooked in beef/chicken broth anyway) alone, and even then if they are harm? I eat nothing?

Please tell me what to do.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.