/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim girl ejected from tournament for wearing hijab

SilentObserver
02-26-2007, 08:09 AM
Some people on this forum often say that nonmuslims are always against muslims. Here is a clear case of a muslim girl being supported by her nonmuslim friends.
Five young teams from across Canada walked out of a Quebec soccer tournament Sunday because a young Muslim girl was ejected for wearing a hijab.

Calling the rule banning the headscarf worn by Muslim women racist, four other teams followed Asmahan Mansour's team, the Nepean Selects from Ottawa, after she was thrown out for running afoul of a Quebec Soccer Association rule.

"The referee was staring and pointing. 'She can't play,'" said Asmahan, Asi to her friends. "I was like why? Why can't I play?"

Because of a safety rule, league spokesman Lyes Arfa said. He pointed out that the referee is Muslim himself, and that the ban on hijabs is to protect children from being accidentally strangled.

"We have to protect the players on the field, and that's the main point. It's not against the Muslims."

And the league had told organizers about the rule — "The wearing of the Islamic veil or any other religious item is not permitted" — before the game.

Asi's team was aware of the rule, but didn't expect it would be enforced.

So when it was, many players and adults were outraged.

Girls backed up teammate

"I automatically went back to the referee: 'Are you sure this is what you wanna do?'" said Louis Maneiro, the Selects' head coach. When nothing changed, he said, "I just decided that there's no way that I would allow our team to continue, and the girls backed up Asi very strongly."

Asi's teammates supported the move. "I felt disgraced, I was crushed, I couldn't see Asi like that," said Lisa Furano.

"It's just a piece of material, it can't do any harm," added Alicia Stainton.

The Selects left the tournament in good spirits. But they say they won't came back until the rule changes.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/...ab-soccer.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
02-26-2007, 08:21 AM
That is so lame, I've played sports for years with hijab on!:rollseyes

How on earth is that meant to be a safety hazard?

SilentObserver
02-26-2007, 08:35 AM
I agree that it is unlikely that any harm can come from wearing the hijab while playing. But the rules were known before they attended the tournament.
And the league had told organizers about the rule — "The wearing of the Islamic veil or any other religious item is not permitted" — before the game.
Asi's team was aware of the rule, but didn't expect it would be enforced.
It was foolish to think that the rules would not be enforced. Why make rules if you do not intend to enforce them?
The Selects left the tournament in good spirits. But they say they won't came back until the rule changes.
I would hope that they do not change the rules. They make a rule, and then someone doesn't like it so they change it. Every rule will have someone that doesn't like it. Where does it end?

Malaikah
02-26-2007, 08:45 AM
They have every right to ask that the rules be revised, not because they don't 'like' it- but because the rule is discriminatory and baseless.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SilentObserver
02-26-2007, 08:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
They have every right to ask that the rules be revised, not because they don't 'like' it- but because the rule is discriminatory and baseless.
It is not discriminatory, it says 'any religious item'.

north_malaysian
02-26-2007, 08:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SilentObserver
it says 'any religious item'.
do lucky charm items considered as "any religious item" too?:rollseyes

eg. bunny's leg, lucky underwear, lucky socks etc...

SilentObserver
02-26-2007, 08:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
do lucky charm items considered as "any religious item" too?:rollseyes

eg. bunny's leg, lucky underwear, lucky socks etc...
I imagine probably not, as they are not religious items. (lucky underwear.....?! :confused: )

north_malaysian
02-26-2007, 09:00 AM
(lucky underwear.....?! :confused: )
that barefoot korean guy contestant in current American Idol has it and wears it everytime he sing....... :exhausted

Malaikah
02-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Non-discriminatory? How so? Just because the focus isn't only one Muslims, doesn't mean religious people aren't discriminated against. Anyone who believes that such and such a symbol is compulsory and insists on wearing it is being discriminated against.

Tania
02-26-2007, 03:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
that barefoot korean guy contestant in current American Idol has it and wears it everytime he sing....... :exhausted
I think we should leave the people privacy in peace. I don't see why should someone check up other persons underwear :-[
The current rules why are not discuss at an higher level. Like someone from the muslim association or a party discuss with the federation the games rule. Not the players should argue over them or trying to make justice.

Curious girl2
02-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Some people on this forum often say that nonmuslims are always against muslims. Here is a clear case of a muslim girl being supported by her nonmuslim friends.

:sl:

That is ridiculous. I do karate and wear a sports hijab. Its has lycra in it and there a nor loose ends. Why couldnt they give the girl the option to get one of those?

:w:

CG

tomtomsmom
02-26-2007, 09:15 PM
So does that mean that a cross or star of david can't be worn under your shirt?
I think it is ridiculous that this girl couldn't play because she had on a scarf. Man things are getting really twisted these days.

Philosopher
02-26-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry, I'm Muslim. You must follow the rules no matter what.

tomtomsmom
02-26-2007, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher
I'm sorry, I'm Muslim. You must follow the rules no matter what.
I agree, one must follow the rules. HOWEVER not all rules should stay the same. If that were the case then here in the USA blacks would still be slaves and women couldn't vote. Rules sometimes have to be changed. That is just the way it is.

England
02-26-2007, 09:24 PM

I totally agree with the referee. Before I even read it I thought "well yeh if someone was to pull them back they'd get strangled.":-\
It's not only Canada that banned it. It wouldn't be allowed here either or anywhere else. That's the reason why jewellery is banned too.

It's not surprising. Why do muslims make a big issue out of everything?

Philosopher
02-26-2007, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
I agree, one must follow the rules. HOWEVER not all rules should stay the same. If that were the case then here in the USA blacks would still be slaves and women couldn't vote. Rules sometimes have to be changed. That is just the way it is.
Yeah, but you dont try to change rules when a game starts :D

Islam_sister
02-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Yes ok, i do understand yes you must follow the rules but that is not fair tho saying that you can not wear the hijab. .Like.. Ive played on many sports team and i have never heard about you can not wear the Hijab while playing a sport.

Islam_sister
02-26-2007, 09:30 PM
And also, some muslims sisters would tie their hijabs backwards. So can you still play any sport when the hijab is tied backwards??

tomtomsmom
02-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Yeah, but you dont try to change rules when a game starts :D
No they shouldn't have waited till the game starts. It says that they knew about it beforehand so it should have been adressed then. But now that it is an issue it should be delt with.

wilberhum
02-26-2007, 09:32 PM
I wonder what will happen if the rule is overturned and a girl is accidentally strangled.

England
02-26-2007, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islam_sister
And also, some muslims sisters would tie their hijabs backwards. So can you still play any sport when the hijab is tied backwards??
Is there any chance of getting strangled? Would there be a possibility of an obstruction to your view?

Rules are the rules. Even caps aren't allowed in the game. Players could suffer heatstroke but it still isn't allowed. The only person allowed to wear a cap is the goalkeeper.

Philosopher
02-26-2007, 09:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
I wonder what will happen if the rule is overturned and a girl is accidentally strangled.
Girl being strangled by a hijab?? Almost impossible.

England
02-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Girl being strangled by a hijab?? Almost impossible.
Try pulling on this. You don't think she'll get strangled?

Philosopher
02-26-2007, 09:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England

Of course not. I doubt there are any previous cases of this, including in Muslim nations.

tomtomsmom
02-26-2007, 09:44 PM
I think perhaps the sisters that wear one would know best. I do know that there are many different styles that can be worn. They even make ones that can be worn in a pool. I am sure that at least one of these many styles could be used for sports that would not strangle them!!

Philosopher
02-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Is there any chance of getting strangled? Would there be a possibility of an obstruction to your view?

Rules are the rules. Even caps aren't allowed in the game. Players could suffer heatstroke but it still isn't allowed. The only person allowed to wear a cap is the goalkeeper.
This is the Iranian women's soccer team....with silver medals :)

Islam_sister
02-26-2007, 09:57 PM

No.. i dont think that she would get strangled.. How can you tho.. I think its impossible.. and as i said i wear hijabs during games and ive never had the hijab strangle me. The only problem that i had with the hijab during games is that it would get untied and i would have to fix it but other then that.. I think it should be allowed to wear one when to play sports!.. and also some refs. would know that muslim sisters were the hijab for religious reasons and they understand. so just cause of the hijab they shouldn't play. I know, the are being catious but still..

Philosopher
02-26-2007, 10:00 PM
No.. i dont think that she would get strangled.. How can you tho.. I think its impossible.. and as i said i wear hijabs during games and ive never had the hijab strangle me. The only problem that i had with the hijab during games is that it would get untied and i would have to fix it but other then that.. I think it should be allowed to wear one when to play sports!.. and also some refs. would know that muslim sisters were the hijab for religious reasons and they understand. so just cause of the hijab they shouldn't play. I know, the are being catious but still..
I think wearing the hijab is safer than not wearing one.

Islam_sister
02-26-2007, 10:02 PM
I think wearing the hijab is safer than not wearing one.

I argee..

Islam_sister
02-26-2007, 10:03 PM
i agree.. cause look.. Girls that wear their hair tied up in a ponytail.. her hair can ge pulled by another player.. but wearing the hijab. what can the other player pull on? Nothing.

England
02-26-2007, 10:05 PM
This is the Iranian women's soccer team....with silver medals :)

I've just checked that up. That's a new rule. Obviously FIFA decided to bend over backwards again. Who's next? :-\

http://www.islamwomen.org/EngIw/Home...s3.aspx?id=386

England
02-26-2007, 10:08 PM
i agree.. cause look.. Girls that wear their hair tied up in a ponytail.. her hair can ge pulled by another player.. but wearing the hijab. what can the other player pull on? Nothing.
The hijab.... It's fastened round her neck it seems, which would be more dangerous than pulling someone's hair. :-\

I personally don't care about womens football. I don't watch women's football.

Islam_sister
02-26-2007, 10:12 PM
but the thing is tho.. how can some1 pull on it tho when the hijab is tucked into you shirt. like this girl i know when she would wear her hijab during a sport she tucks it in her shirt.

Philosopher
02-26-2007, 10:12 PM
I've just checked that up. That's a new rule. Obviously FIFA decided to bend over backwards again. Who's next? :-\

http://www.islamwomen.org/EngIw/Home...s3.aspx?id=386
Nope, it was a great decision. Prove to me how a hijab can endanger a player, and let me know how many people died from strangling from a hijab in a game. Put up or shut up :)

Curious girl2
02-26-2007, 10:17 PM
I totally agree with the referee. Before I even read it I thought "well yeh if someone was to pull them back they'd get strangled.":-\
It's not only Canada that banned it. It wouldn't be allowed here either or anywhere else. That's the reason why jewellery is banned too.

It's not surprising. Why do muslims make a big issue out of everything?

Because there are ways and means to allow the girl to still wear a hijab and be safe. The sport I do is VERY physical, you can and do get hurt sometimes. This is similar to what I wear http://www.thehijabshop.com/capsters/index.php I have tucked into my Gi and it doesnt come loose, it doesnt flap about and enables me to take part in my sport and retain my modesty and not compromise my religion or way of life.

CG

England
02-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Nope, it was a great decision. Prove to me how a hijab can endanger a player, and let me know how many people died from strangling from a hijab in a game. Put up or shut up :)
I cannot tell you how many people have died, it's too soon :rollseyes As I said, it is a NEW rule. We'll eventually see.
Someone will chase her, pull it from her head and keep on pulling it with it being tied around her neck until eventually the player catches up with her.

Islam_sister
02-26-2007, 10:25 PM
I cannot tell you how many people have died, it's too soon :rollseyes As I said, it is a NEW rule. We'll eventually see.
Someone will chase her, pull it from her head and keep on pulling it with it being tied around her neck until eventually the player catches up with her.

Well why would you do that when you will get called on it. wouldnt it cost you the game?.. like for example.. its like the last 5 mins of the game and a girl comes and yanks off the other players hijab. The hijabi then take the penlty shot gets it in.. then you try hard to win the game but then the hijabi girl team win. Its like in basketball you foul some1 it would cost you the game.. soo why would you keep on pulling it just to catch up to some1

strider
02-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Plus, you can also get hijabs which do not require a safety pin. I've been playing sports for a very long time, and i also wear the hijab. The hijab, if warn properly is not a safety hazard.

The point that the referee is a Muslim is not relevant in this matter. He made an absolutely ridiculous ruling.

Islam_sister
02-26-2007, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Plus, you can also get hijabs which do not require a safety pin. I've been playing sports for a very long time, and i also wear the hijab. The hijab, if warn properly is not a safety hazard.

The point that the referee is a Muslim is not relevant in this matter. He made an absolutely ridiculous ruling.

Yes he did..

Philosopher
02-26-2007, 10:30 PM
So you admit that you cannot prove me wrong. Then why do you come up with conclusions that the hijab can be harmful?

Someone will chase her, pull it from her head and keep on pulling it with it being tied around her neck until eventually the player catches up with her
Well that will always be against the rules and is a red card offense. Maybe we should now wear chest guards in fear of head butts to the chest?? :D

England
02-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Well why would you do that when you will get called on it. wouldnt it cost you the game?.. like for example.. its like the last 5 mins of the game and a girl comes and yanks off the other players hijab. The hijabi then take the penlty shot gets it in.. then you try hard to win the game but then the hijabi girl team win. Its like in basketball you foul some1 it would cost you the game.. soo why would you keep on pulling it just to catch up to some1
Getting a penalty depends on the position she is fouled in.
Say this hijab girl takes the ball past you and she is head on goal with you trying to catch up. You would pull her back, to prevent her from scoring. Who cares if it's a free kick? It wasn't a goal. She got away with it...
It happens.

Islam_sister
02-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Say this hijab girl takes the ball past you and she is head on goal with you trying to catch up. You would pull her back, to prevent her from scoring. Who cares if it's a free kick? It wasn't a goal. She got away with it...
It happens.

OK.. but there are other ways to pull a girl back hold on to her wrist and pull her back.. soo why would some1 want to use her hijab to pull her back?

England
02-26-2007, 10:36 PM
So you admit that you cannot prove me wrong. Then why do you come up with conclusions that the hijab can be harmful?

Well that will always be against the rules and is a red card offense. Maybe we should now wear chest guards in fear of head butts to the chest?? :D
Do you know precautionary measures are? It prevents risks turning into a hazard. You need to assess risks in every sport that's played. Common sense. Too soon...

strider
02-26-2007, 10:36 PM
It happens.
By that same logic, we shouldn't permit anybody with long hair to play football. :D

Philosopher
02-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Do you know precautionary measures are? It prevents risks turning into a hazard. You need to assess risks in every sport that's played. Common sense. Too soon...
I agree it's too soon to make any form of judgment. However, maybe you disagree, since you applaud the rule.

England
02-26-2007, 10:39 PM
OK.. but there are other ways to pull a girl back hold on to her wrist and pull her back.. soo why would some1 want to use her hijab to pull her back?
It's not a case of WANTING to pull at her hijab, it's a case of instinct. Players get their collars pulled, they even get their shorts pulled... why would a guy want to pull at another guy's shorts?

Islam_sister
02-26-2007, 10:42 PM
It's not a case of WANTING to pull at her hijab, it's a case of instinct. Players get their collars pulled, they even get their shorts pulled... why would a guy want to pull at another guy's shorts?
Hmm.,. true but still.. You should not band the hijab from playing a sport... i think it is the weirdest rule ive ever heard..

Philosopher
That is why they should maybe wear these types of hijab:

tomtomsmom
Many hijabs are secured with VELCRO
That means if it is pulled on it will come off not strangle you!!!!!

Islam_sister
02-26-2007, 10:43 PM

Where can you get those type of hijabs?

England
02-26-2007, 10:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
By that same logic, we shouldn't permit anybody with long hair to play football. :D
I totally agree with you. Women should wear their hair up.

I agree it's too soon to make any form of judgment. However, maybe you disagree, since you applaud the rule.
It's too soon to judge but the risks should be observed and looking at the risk of a hijab that is wrapped around someones neck I believe the Canadian rule is correct.

Umar001
02-26-2007, 10:45 PM
I wonder how the body doesnt show its shapes in a football match, I mean it does with men, and they have less to show, I really would find it amazing.

Muezzin
02-26-2007, 10:46 PM

Wow. That kind of looks like something out of 'Speed Racer'.

strider
02-26-2007, 10:48 PM
It's too soon to judge but the risks should be observed and looking at the risk of a hijab that is wrapped around someones neck I believe the Canadian rule is correct.
England, have you been listening to what Muslim women who wear the hijab have had to say on this issue? When worn sensibly, the hijab isn't an issue of concern. You won't get strangled by it unless you purposefully tighten it around somebodies neck like a rope.

Islam_sister
02-26-2007, 11:01 PM
exactly..

Curious girl2
02-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Where can you get those type of hijabs?

You can order them from here sis http://www.thehijabshop.com/capsters/index.php

CG

nelly
02-27-2007, 10:17 AM
well there r different ways 2 tie a scarf. U can hav it tied at the bak wher it doesnt go round the neck at the front!!!!!!!!!!

And Its obligatory that we wear it!!!
Thats why we make an issue of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nelly
02-27-2007, 10:19 AM
that message was 2 ENGLAND

Akil
02-27-2007, 01:03 PM
I have wondered about the hijab. What are the specifics for what is considered a head covering? Could western head coverings still be considered hijab or head covering in compliance with the rules of Islam? For instance, could a Muslim wear a hoodie sweater and as long as she doesn’t remove said hood, be in compliance with Islam?

Snowflake
02-27-2007, 02:02 PM
I know the debate is about the girls right to wear hijab but if her deen is that important then what she doing playing soccer in a pair of shorts in the first place - not forgetting to mention in the presence of a male referee and spectators. The mind boggles.

p.s. I checked out the team's strip.. and yes they all wear shorts.

strider
02-27-2007, 07:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Akil
I have wondered about the hijab. What are the specifics for what is considered a head covering? Could western head coverings still be considered hijab or head covering in compliance with the rules of Islam? For instance, could a Muslim wear a hoodie sweater and as long as she doesn’t remove said hood, be in compliance with Islam?
Providing her hair is covered, as is her neck.

Islam_sister
02-27-2007, 07:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Curious girl2

You can order them from here sis http://www.thehijabshop.com/capsters/index.php

CG

Ok.. Thank you:D

Muezzin
02-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Guys, please don't turn this into yet another 'ZOMG, MUSLIMS R TRYNA TEK OVER!!!!11One pWNT!!' thread. I've deleted posts and replies to posts which don't have anything to do with the thread topic.

- Qatada -
02-28-2007, 10:03 PM
I think i'm going to close the thread since people have said what they've had to. Otherwise it's probably going to lead to arguments, like the posts which i've just had to delete - right after bro Muezzin called against it.

Thread Closed.

Pure
03-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Soccer Regulators Give Hijab Red Card
IslamOnline.net & Newspapers

CAIRO — The expulsion of a Canadian Muslim footballer from a match for wearing hijab has taken a dramatic and global dimension after the game's ultimate regulators backed the decision, Canada's The Gazette daily reported on Sunday, March 4.

"It's absolutely right to be sensitive to people's thoughts and philosophies," Brian Barwick, a member of the International Football Association Board (IFAB), the guardian of the Laws of the Game, said after a meeting on Saturday, March 3.

"But, equally, there has to be a set of laws that are adhered to - and we favor Law 4 being adhered to."

The fourth rule lists the items a player is entitled to wear and makes no reference to head covers.

It also stipulates that "a player must not use equipment or wear anything that is dangerous to himself or any other player."

Last week, a Canadian referee ejected 11-year-old Asmahan Mansour during a National game for wearing the hijab on safety and security grounds.

The Quebec Soccer Federation insisted the referee was enforcing international guidelines regarding equipment and safety rules.

IFAB, which administers the rules for the Federation Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), ruled that the referee made the correct decision.

"If you play football, there's a set of laws and rules. Law 4 outlines basic equipment," Barwick said.

FIFA also weighed in.

"The wearing of a hijab is already covered by Law 4 on Players' Equipment," it said in a news release following IFAB's meeting.

Until last week, FIFA's position was somehow different.

FIFA official Nicholas Maing had told The Gazette that "there is nothing prohibiting hijab" in the laws of the game.

He cited how goalkeepers are allowed to wear protective caps and head guards.

IslamOnline.net tried to contact the FIFA media office for clarification, but no one was answering the phone.

READ MORE

Woodrow
03-04-2007, 06:08 PM
I am not going to reopen the thread because of the problems in lead to. However, I did approve the posting of the updated story which may be read in the post above this.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.