/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Steriods...is it permissable?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-28-2007, 02:20 AM
:sl:

Ok so you guys can guess what the topic is about. Just today my mom had to end up going to the hospital. We have cats and I guess some of us are pretty allergic to them. We were fine before we got them. I usually get weezing and difficulty breathing. My mom has been getting it worse then me and basically she ended up going to the hospital. Her lungs were basically clogging up...and if she took too long she woulda been....:omg: We forced her to go and finally she went. My brother took her to the hospital and they gave her steriods to help speed up her lung activity. She'll be home in an hour Insha'Allah. Been worried like crazy :X I was wondering, Islamically, is it allowed to take steriods? We all know its a drug..but for medical purposes..is it permissable? JazakAllah Khair in advance. Any advice would be appreciated.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Skillganon
02-28-2007, 02:22 AM
If it is for medical purposes as such you described above that I am sure it is permissable, (you can check it up wit a scholar). Otherwise it is not.

Woodrow
02-28-2007, 02:39 AM
It is a drug, but not in the sense of a narcotic. The abuse of them by some athletes is because of the affect they can have when abused for things like weight gain, muscle development etc.

When abused and used on a regular basis for those reasons they do produce temporary unfair advantages and are an extreme danger to an athletes health. Quite often resulting in death.

That is from misuse, not when used properly and prescribed by a legitimate doctor.

They are one of the best treatments for allergies and often the only safe treatment.

Steroids cover a very wide range, the one usually abused by athletes is the male hormone testosterone. The hormones use in birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy are also labeled as steroids.

The steroids used for allergies are quite different I just found a helpful link.

Steroids for Asthma and Allergy Patients
Nearly 50 million people suffer from asthma and allergies. Fortunately, today there are many effective medications available to treat these conditions. Steroids, also commonly called corticosteroids, are one of the medications frequently prescribed. These steroids are an anti-inflammatory drug, not to be confused with the anabolic steroids used by some athletes.

What are the Functions of Steroids?
Steroids decrease airway inflammation, which produces the following desired effects in asthma patients:

* decreases the swelling in the bronchial tubes;
* reduces production of mucus by the cells lining the bronchial tubes;
* decreases hyper-reactivity of the airways;
* helps airway smooth muscle response to other medications;
* prevents constriction of the bronchial tubes;
* stabilizes pulmonary function.

Anabolic Steroids vs. Cortisone Steroids
When most people hear the word steroids, they think of the anabolic steroids that are used by some athletes and body builders. These anabolic steroids help to enhance athletic performance and physical build, but have severe side effects. Cortisone steroids (corticosteroids) are anti-inflammatory hormones. They are unrelated to the anabolic steroids or sex hormones such as androgens. On a short-term basis, corticosteroids are a safe and effective treatment for asthma and allergies with no major side effects.
Source: http://madang.ajou.ac.kr/~ydpark/arc...rgy/tip06.html

I can not think of any reason those would be haram under any circumstance.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-28-2007, 03:20 AM
^^JazakAllah Khair bro Skill and Woodrow for your help :)

:sl:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
NoName55
02-28-2007, 03:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It is a drug, but not in the sense of a narcotic. The abuse of them by some athletes is because of the affect they can have when abused for things like weight gain, muscle development etc.

When abused and used on a regular basis for those reasons they do produce temporary unfair advantages and are an extreme danger to an athletes health. Quite often resulting in death.

That is from misuse, not when used properly and prescribed by a legitimate doctor.

They are one of the best treatments for allergies and often the only safe treatment.

Steroids cover a very wide range, the one usually abused by athletes is the male hormone testosterone. The hormones use in birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy are also labeled as steroids.

The steroids used for allergies are quite different I just found a helpful link.

Source: http://madang.ajou.ac.kr/~ydpark/archive/allergy/tip06.html

I can not think of any reason those would be haram under any circumstance.
:sl: , you are Correct!

-------------------------------------------------------------
source: various books/internet

It is stated in the Holy Qur'aan:
“He has forbidden you, only the “Maytah” (dead animals), blood, and the flesh of swine, and that which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for other than Allah Ta'ala (or has been slaughtered for idols etc.). But if one is forced by necessity without wilful disobedience nor transgressing due limits, then there is no sin on him. Truly Allah Ta'ala is Oft– Forgiving and Most Merciful.”
(2:173)
From this verse we can take out this point that to use forbidden products for medical purposes in exceptional circumstances is permissible.

Only under the following conditions can the medicine be permissible:

1. In a critical state where life is in danger.
2. There is no other Halaal medicine available.
3. If the Haraam medicine used is effective as a cure for that particular illness or disease.
4. There is no carnal desire in the usage of the Haraam product other than the cure.
5. Only the amount needed should be used. (Not to exceed the limits).

If these conditions are met then in a critical condition, Haraam products can be used for medical purposes.

But in this day and age, because the usage of Haraam medicine are ample found, the Fuqahaa (Muslim Jurist) have given permission to use them in usual condition of illness when no other Halaal medicines are available. (Ma'aariful Qur'aan page 42 6,427 Vol 1)

It is stated in Durrul Mukhtar:
Fuqahaa have differed in the matter regarding curing with Haraam products. The clearer verdict is Haraam. But the present Ulama have given permission if it is discovered that the Haraam product is the only cure, and no other medicine is known.

Mufti Muhammed Shafee (R.A) writes: All European medicines which have mixture of wine, alcohol or Haraam products will be permissible to use if no other Halaal medicine is found to replace it. Those medicines, which have no doubt of Haraam or impure substances, will have more credit. But to abstain totally will be best especially if no serious condition arises.
Ref. Al – Mu'min Volume 1 Issue 1 Q&A

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-28-2007, 04:48 AM
^^Thanks a bunch guys. Appreciate it...shes good now Alhumdulillah. She'll be on nebulizer and steroids for a bit.

Philosopher
02-28-2007, 05:05 AM
I took DNP (2,4-Dinitrophenol), Cytomel T3, and Synthol six months ago. I am currently under a Clenbuterol cycle.

Steroids are not haram:

http://askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.php?a...823a907a9de565

Snowflake
02-28-2007, 09:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
^^Thanks a bunch guys. Appreciate it...shes good now Alhumdulillah. She'll be on nebulizer and steroids for a bit.
Alhumdulillah for that sis! May Allah grant your mom complete shifa inshaAllah. Ameen.

are you keeping the cats :? :X

Maarya
02-28-2007, 10:38 AM
i'm on steroids at the moment aswell, (hav been since dec05, for medical reasons, everytime the docs try to get rid of em, i get ill again :() and they're ok to take, as long as you take it for medical reasons and not personal reasons

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-28-2007, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
Alhumdulillah for that sis! May Allah grant your mom complete shifa inshaAllah. Ameen.

are you keeping the cats :? :X
^^I'm not sure yet. Techincally we dont have our won house so its even harder to keep them. My mom was thinking of some solutions so we can keep em. But we'll see how it goes...otherwise they gotta leave =\
I'm not letting my mom do ANYTHING until she gets better. But she gets through me sometimes :X lol. She was gradually getting worse for a month. So Alhumdulillah, its good now.

Thanks everyone for their posts :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.