/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A Neo-Cons solution for saving gas

Showkat
03-03-2007, 01:00 PM
An email i received from an American patriot

George Carlin's Solution to Save Gasoline

Bush wants us to cut the amount of gas we use. The best way to stop using so much gas is to deport 11 million illegal immigrants! That would be 11 million less people using our gas. The price of gas would come down. Bring our troops home from Iraq to guard the borders. When they catch an illegal immigrant crossing the border, hand him a canteen, rifle and some ammo and ship him to Iraq. Tell him if he wants to come to America then he must serve a tour in the military. Give him a soldier's pay while he's there and tax him on it. After his tour, he will be allowed to become a citizen since he defended this country. He will also be registered to be taxed and be a legal patriot.
This option will probably deter illegal immigration and provide a solution for the troops in Iraq and the aliens trying to make a better life for themselves. If they refuse to serve, ship them to Iraq anyway, without the canteen, rifle or ammo. Problem solved. If you think this is a good solution to both the problems, forward it to your friends.

I just did.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
03-03-2007, 08:12 PM
i don't think this is funny.
xenophobia is growing and it is no joke.
maybe i'm just being grouchy.

strider
03-03-2007, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i don't think this is funny.
xenophobia is growing and it is no joke.
maybe i'm just being grouchy.
I didn't find it funny either.

Keltoi
03-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Well, I agree that xenophobia is bad, but I don't think those that support cracking down on illegal immigration are xenophobic, they just believe in securing our borders. Granted, this rant from George Carlin is over the top and insulting in nature, but that is George Carlin.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
03-03-2007, 08:33 PM
keltoi,
i agree that not all people who want to crack down on illegal immigration are xenophobic, but there is a definite growing atmosphere of xenophobia which i find alarming.

Keltoi
03-03-2007, 08:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
keltoi,
i agree that not all people who want to crack down on illegal immigration are xenophobic, but there is a definite growing atmosphere of xenophobia which i find alarming.
Perhaps, but I also see a growing atmopshere of screaming racism and xenophobia to those who wish to secure our own borders. The U.S. has to walk a fine line between protecting our sovereignty and still be welcoming to those immigrants who go through legal channels.

Keltoi
03-03-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm also not sure where the "neo-con" label comes into play here. If anything, George Bush and the "neo-cons" have parted ways with the conservative wing of the Republican Party and embraced the more politically correct alternatives of Ted Kennedy and John McCain.

snakelegs
03-04-2007, 12:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Perhaps, but I also see a growing atmopshere of screaming racism and xenophobia to those who wish to secure our own borders. The U.S. has to walk a fine line between protecting our sovereignty and still be welcoming to those immigrants who go through legal channels.
yes - i think both things are true at the same time.
it is a very complex issue and any country needs to secure its borders. it is also true that these people play a vital role in our economy by doing work that nobody else will do at wages nobody else will accept. i don't know what the answers are. the idea of building a wall by the rio grande would make me very sad.
but i get tired, living in southrern california, of the way this issue is used to stir up fear and vent racism. (even though what you said above is true too.) so, in this atmosphere, i found the joke in poor taste. maybe i'm just getting old and cranky.
every year people die horrible deaths in our deserts not far from me, trying to come here, while you and i are fortunate to just be born here. such determination is awesome.

Eric H
03-04-2007, 02:23 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Keltoi;

The U.S. has to walk a fine line between protecting our sovereignty and still be welcoming to those immigrants who go through legal channels
The native American Indians might have a right to complain about illegal immigrants, but they don't have much of a voice. Pretty much every other American can trace their ancestors back to illegal immigrants.

If these original illegal immigrants gain power and set up governments who then have the power to say who can legally migrate to the US; that sounds suspect to me.

My parents and grandparents were immigrants to the UK as a result of the upheaval during the Second World War.

In the spirit of praying to one God the creator of all mankind

Eric

snakelegs
03-04-2007, 04:50 AM
one of my favourite things about the u.s. is that, with the exception of the native americans and the blacks, we are a nation of immigrants.

Muezzin
03-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Ah, George Carlin's caustic wit.

Showkat
03-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Yes comedians tell jokes, but a funny joke has to be based upon what people can relate to and agree with and his sentiments are those which are quite widespread among many Americans and Neo-Con politicians and policy makers.

Keltoi
03-04-2007, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H

The native American Indians might have a right to complain about illegal immigrants, but they don't have much of a voice. Pretty much every other American can trace their ancestors back to illegal immigrants.

If these original illegal immigrants gain power and set up governments who then have the power to say who can legally migrate to the US; that sounds suspect to me.

My parents and grandparents were immigrants to the UK as a result of the upheaval during the Second World War.

In the spirit of praying to one God the creator of all mankind

Eric
There wasn't a United States of America when these ancestors you speak of migrated to North America. I can relate to your point, being a member of the Kiowa Tribe of Oklahoma, but I also have concern for the state of the country I'm proud to call home. While I agree Mexican laborers are important to certain segments of the U.S. economy, I don't think economic concerns should trump basic questions of law and sovereignty.

Eric H
03-05-2007, 01:45 AM

While I agree Mexican laborers are important to certain segments of the U.S. economy,
It sounds like Mexicans are good for the economy that exploits poor people to do the dirty work for a pittance so others can live a good life style.

Whilst you might argue that if these Mexicans stayed in Mexico they would be worse off, it is rich countries that keep them poor.

Half the world population lives on less than two dollars a day, Life is a lottery, there is a fifty- fifty chance that any one of us could be surviving on less than two dollars a day. Life must be hard, oppressive and grim for all our brothers and sisters struggling through life in grinding poverty.

I don't think economic concerns should trump basic questions of law and sovereignty.
The land belongs to God, we are but temporary custodians.

In the spirit of praying for trade justice for the poor.

Eric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.