/* */

PDA

View Full Version : London Police Kill Man at Point Blank: Witness

kadafi
07-22-2005, 06:21 PM
London Police Kill Man at Point Blank: Witness

"They (police) pushed him to the floor, bundled on top of him and unloaded five shots into him," the eyewitness told the BBC. (Reuters)

LONDON, July 22, 2005 (IslamOnline.net & News Agencies) – London police reportedly shot a man five times in the head, instantly killing him, at an Underground subway station in south London Friday, July 22, after chasing him down, eyewitnesses and police said.

"We can confirm that just after 10 am (0900 GMT) armed officers entered Stockwell Tube station," a police spokesman said, according to Agence France-Presse (AFP).

"A man was challenged by officers and subsequently shot... He was pronounced dead at the scene."

Witnesses quoted by BBC News 24 and Sky News said the man who was shot appeared to have been of south Asian origin, and that five shots were fired -- by one account, at point blank by one of the police officers.
Passenger Mark Whitby told BBC News he had seen the man shot five times by "plain-clothes police officers" with a handgun.

"I saw the gun being fired five times into the guy -- he is dead," he was quoted by the BBC as saying.

Whitby told BBC News: "I was sitting on the train reading my paper.
"I heard a load of noise, people saying, 'Get out, get down'!
"I saw an Asian guy run onto the train hotly pursued by three plain-clothes police officers.

"One of them was carrying a black handgun - it looked like an automatic - they pushed him to the floor, bundled on top of him and unloaded five shots into him."

The eyewitness added the man did not seem to be carrying a weapon or wearing a rucksack like those used in the July 7 suicide bombings or, reportedly, in Thursday's failed attacks.

The shoot-to-kill incident came only hours after UK authorities reportedly pressed British Prime Minister Tony Blair for new sweeping anti-terror powers, including the right to detain a suspect for up to three months without charges, and the right to "shoot-to-kill" in "extremely suspicious situations".

Suspect

Police gave no further details on the circumstances of the shooting, saying the Stockwell situation was "ongoing" and there was no word from the political circles, citing "still ongoing operational situations", according to the BBC.

It was not also clear whether the shooting was related to Thursday's failed blasts or whether police were chasing the man into the Underground or merely suspected him.

But Sky News television reported earlier that the shot man was "a suspected suicide bomber".

Stockwell is one stop south of Oval station, one of three Underground stops that were, together with a double-decker bus,the scenes of apparent would-be suicide attacks Thursday.

An AFP reporter at the scene said the busy street that runs past Stockwell station was sealed off, with traffic diverted through side streets.

Services on the Victoria and Northern lines have been suspended following a request by the police, London Underground said, according to the BBC.
The British broadcaster added ambulances including an air ambulance have been sent to the scene at Stockwell.

Thursday's failed attacks took place two weeks to the day after suicide bombers -- three of them Britons of Pakistani origin -- attacked three Underground trains and a double-decker bus, killing 56 and injuring some 700.

Mosque

Meanwhile, police briefly threw a cordon around a mosque in east London Friday, according to AFP, citing BBC News 24 television.

The East London Mosque, on Whitechapel Road, one of the biggest and most modern in the capital, was surrounded by police officers, some of whom were armed, a woman at the scene told the all-news channel by telephone.

Not long afterwards, it said the police had stood down, as the focus of attention remained on an Underground subway station in south London where the reportedly Asian-looking man was shot by police.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
minaz
07-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Let's all keep our cool, wait for the independent inquiry and not jump to conclusions

Muezzin
07-22-2005, 06:42 PM
I agree with you Minaz, but the news is still extremely disturbing. Think of the wider ramifications of this 'shoot-to-kill' thing. So far, it appears this guy was just a suspect.

Bittersteel
07-22-2005, 07:14 PM
yeah but he was challenged and why didn't he just surrender if he was innocent?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
07-22-2005, 07:27 PM
True. It's just, this guy was under police surveillance, right? To be under police surveillance, your name must have been 'blacklisted' as a potential threat. How many of us have said something offhand that could be regarded as traitorous and thus could result in us being blacklisted? Sort of like the McCarthy era of the fear of Communism.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, be very, very careful about what you say and how you say it, especially on the Internet.

minaz
07-22-2005, 09:51 PM
be very, very careful about what you say and how you say it, especially on the Internet.
That's good then cuz I aint got nothing to worry about, but I bet I know a few on here who would be :p

Genius
07-22-2005, 10:06 PM
If he was planning to kill then well done to the police, ---

minaz
07-23-2005, 06:34 PM
So what, he was still on the terror threat suspects watch, let's all wait and see

S_87
07-23-2005, 06:34 PM
:sl:

they killed an innocent man <_<

minaz
07-23-2005, 06:35 PM
i'm not disagrreing and i'm not agreeing

Muezzin
07-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Guns don't kill people. Trigger-happy coppers do.

minaz
07-23-2005, 06:37 PM
lmao aint that the truth

minaz
07-23-2005, 06:44 PM
look man just wait and see then we can disuss the death of this guy further

Ummu Amatullah
07-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Asallama alaikum brothers this wouldn't be the first time of Police Brutality in America it happens daily.Check this out.
Gilbert Alexander Barber High Point, North Carolina, May 2001
On May 18, 2001 a Guilford County Deputy shot and killed Gilbert during an alleged struggle for the deputy’s gun. Near 4:00 am, Gilbert was naked and yelling at passing cars, and someone called 911. He was bleeding from various cuts and abrasions over a large part of his body. He had a baseball sized, raised bruise protruding from the center of his forehead, clearly visible. Clearly this young man needed medical help, not to be pepper-sprayed, arrested nor shot. The deputy, who had less than 1 year patrolling experience, arrived and chose to make an arrest. The deputy said he approached Gilbert and ordered him to the ground, but he admitted that Gilbert didn’t seem to understand what he was saying. Then, from the deputy’s own testimony, he ordered Gilbert to “get the #### on the ground, get the #### on the ground”. To make the arrest, the deputy pepper-sprayed Gilbert’s open wounds. Then the deputy alleges that a struggle occurred over the deputy’s gun. Several shots were fired, the gun jammed, the deputy cleared the jam, located another clip, loaded it and fired several more shots, three of them striking Gilbert and killing him. It took only 113 seconds from the time the deputy arrived until he called and said that he was shot. There were two witnesses to the incident. The first said that Gil never touched the deputy, nor had his hands on the deputy’s gun. According to this witness, the deputy stumbled and fell, with the gun firing, shooting him in the leg. The statement from the other witness was almost exactly word for word the same as the deputy’s statement, which wasn’t taken until 5 days later, after all of the witnesses were questioned.It was found that Gilbert had a fractured skull, and this may have been part of the reason he was naked and acting strangely. Gilbert was accused of breaking into a nearby church, but he didn’t steal anything. He was supposed to have bitten into a collection plate and pulled out 5 teeth out by the roots in this church. Their so-called investigation proved that it was impossible to pull out the teeth. The dentist said that they were knocked out and that Gilbert couldn’t do it himself. That put some one else there that the Sheriff and the DA aren’t interested in. Their only interest is in clearing the deputy. Got another one.
A string of increased brutalization perpetrated by SFPD has ravaged the extremely poor community of the African American Bay View Hunters Point of San Francisco. This district actually has the best weather and views of the city and is a closely knit community. It is, however, plagued by devastating pollution due to a landfill and power plant that has brought birth defects, asthma, breast cancer and lymphoma to a sweeping level. District 10 is now gentrified, and there is a concerted effort from the city to push the poor, black population out of Hunters Point, to be relocated to Treasure Island and Oakland.On MLK Day 2002, SFPD raided Kiska Road and beat up a 17 yr. teenager, Jerome Brown, who sustained multiple lacerations, a dislocated shoulder and concussion. Girls, ages 12 to 14, were held at gun point by SFPD and fondled and called "little ###". When Sue McAllister, mother of one of the girls, tried to intervene, SFPD threated to shoot her. Jerome's father asked why all of this was happening and was told : "As long as YOU PEOPLE are here, we will continue doing this".

crazy
07-23-2005, 10:34 PM
i agree with hash

Muhammad
07-23-2005, 10:42 PM

Apparently the man was a non-muslim... I thought I would mention that since somebody referred to him as our "brother" ... so just to clarify.

:w:

crazy
07-23-2005, 10:55 PM
jaza kallah for dat i thot he woz muslim

minaz
07-24-2005, 11:22 AM
It makes me laugh how people on this forum are against the "western media" aka in this forum "zionist media". However when they say, "at least 25,000 civilians have died in the war", some respond like no you can't believe anything, no it's 5 times as much. But when this media say "the man shot on the tube was unconnected to the london bombs" they accept this. HYPOCRISY

Genius
07-24-2005, 12:02 PM
They went and killed an innocent man, he wasn't even muslim, just imagine if that was you, being chased by non uniform police you probably would have ran aswell.

Hash look at my original statement i said if he was a suicide bomber, lets not be so stupid.

Mr. Baldy
07-24-2005, 01:16 PM
aslaam alkyum,

lets look at the facts we have. a man was shot dead, he was innocent, no connections to the bombings, he may not even have been muslim. to me, this looks like a message to muslims calling for khilafah, to me this looks like a 'show of strenght'. but thats just my opinion.

wa alkyum aslaam

Muezzin
07-24-2005, 04:35 PM

To me this looks like a trigger-happy copper/special forces agent who shouldn't be allowed to work anymore.

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.