/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My graduation speech

sweetchick
07-22-2005, 07:18 PM
I just graduated from high school and i was chosen in my school to read a speech about the hijab in islam and wht it means to live life wearing it and going to school to be the only girl in a school to wear hijab

So here it is please read and tell me wht you think about it thank u

As I stand here this evening what is the first thing you would notice about me? For most of you I believe the answer would be my scarf, my hijab. In my Islamic faith the hijab is a symbol of respect and pride. I first arrived in America when I was six years old. My family had been forced to leave our native Iraq because of the regime of saddam Hussein. I started the first grade not knowing English or having any friends, the only thing I could depend on was my family. Here I am twelve years later giving a speech to the class of 2005. There are over 400 graduating seniors here tonight and each one of us has a story, our own odyssey to reach this point. Do you realize how much we have been through? How far we’ve come in the last four years at Kamiak High School.

For me it was always difficult growing up in a country so different than my native land, and attending schools where no one practiced my religion. Just like you, I love my homeland, I love my people, and I love my religion. In my newly adopted America, however, it has sometimes been difficult to celebrate my faith and heritage. When you are the only person in school wearing Hijab, or the only one practicing Ramadan where you fast from sunset to sundown, there’s little support or understanding outside of family. In High school students often stared at me and no doubt wondered, but few ever came up and asked why I dressed as I did or chose to follow Islam. Still I have completed my four years of high School with pride. Now when I someday return to Iraq I can say I did it, I finished my High School education.

Living in America gives one great opportunity. We have the right to learn, the right to speak up, we have the right to share our thoughts. This is not the case in many parts of the world today. We have these rights so why not take advantage and do something good with them? Here in the United States we have avenues available to us to pursue our dreams. We also have responsibility and that is to be citizens to the world. No nation is as powerful as America, and with that comes the enormous duty to exercise just and thoughtful influences with our might. I do not have to continue to wear my hijab here in America. I have the right to take it off at any time without consequence. But I have chosen to wear it as a reflection of my deep faith in Islam. And as a demonstration of pride in my Iraqi heritage. Each one of you also has the right to make choices that will define yourself and chart your future course.

I am very pleased to share part of my story with you tonight. We members of the class of 2005 can pick up our diplomas tonight knowing we are part of a class with many personalities and stories, but one common alma mater. We should celebrate both those differences and similarities. Finally remember what Dr. Seuss once said about those who might question your dreams or place obstacles in your pathway, “Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind, don’t matter, and those who matter, don’t mind.” Thank you ladies and gentlemen and class of 2005 for giving me this opportunity to speak to you on this special night.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M Ilyas
07-22-2005, 07:28 PM
:sl:

Masha'allah sister very beautiful, you are very strong in your imaan keep it up and remain steadfast and don't let the fitnah of the west affect you.

Once again nice speech

Regards

Bittersteel
07-22-2005, 07:36 PM
nice.

YamahaR1
07-22-2005, 08:27 PM
You are wise beyond your years. I would say that not only did you probably teach some lessons to your fellow graduates but also to many of the adults sitting there listening.

As I mentioned in your other post, you have magnificent strength in conviction to stick to your religious view in light of knowing how "different" that it made you. While I know you feel alone, there is no doubt in my mind that there are others who also feel different. We have a lot of Mexican immigrants that have settled in my home state. I can tell you that a lot of local people aren't very welcoming of them. Some local residents feel this way simply because the Mexicans are different. Some because they know that many Mexicans are here illegally. Also, nearby is a settlement of Menonites. The females dress in the same style of dress and they are simply made and colored. They usually wear their hair up and they wear a white cap in their hair. The men dress simply as well. Compared to locals, they are also very different. Even though they have always lived here in this country. My family on my Mother's side immigrated from Italy in the late 1800s and 1900s. They were considered people of color and regarded as negatively as black people were at that time in this country. They came here to provide a better life for their family and future generations. I know from growing up in the deep south, that being a Catholic was not always socially acceptable either. If there is one thing I've learned in my almost 35 years in this country, it's that we have all been discriminated against in some form or fashion. I know you feel alone in your experiences but I promise you that you are not. Almost anyone of any race, religion, color, etc. can give you an example of how someone treated them wrong because of something about them. Again, as evidenced by some posts in this forum, some people think that just because I'm a female, American who serves in the military, that I must be some muslim-hating, morally challenged, blood thirsty, person who regularly targets children and women for kicks on the weekend.

Also, high school is awful for everyone it seems. I remember when I went to college….it seemed like a whole other world. I suspect you will see the change too.

I applaud you for not only embracing your Iraqi heritage but choosing to perservere when circumstances in your life would've made it much simpler to do anything but that. With your wonderful attitude and internal strength, I know you will be very successful.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mary
07-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Finally remember what Dr. Seuss once said about those who might question your dreams or place obstacles in your pathway, “Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind, don’t matter, and those who matter, don’t mind.”

I really like this quote. Its really good im sure ur enlighten everyone whos there. Ifeel quite humbled by what i read so well done sis, enjoy the evening :applaud: :D

Z
07-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

That quote is pretty scary.

Insha Allah all goes well.

sweetchick
07-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Thank thank you i like your comments alot i am working on a new paper inshallah

sweetchick
07-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Salam ;lol why is it scary

sakinah34
07-26-2005, 01:10 AM
Alhumdulillah Sister, that was a beautiful speech and i plan on sharing it with my daughter who is 10 and do not have many muslims attending her school. may Allah reward you for your steadfastness. As salaam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

NooralHaya
07-27-2005, 12:15 AM
mashaAllah sister good job. and congrats on givin a speech =)

inshaAllah this also served as good da'wah to the people there.

i didnt graduate this year.. but the 05 graduation at my highschool... the person who gave the speech quotes seuss too. haha, props to seuss!

as salaamu alaikum

BlissfullyJaded
07-27-2005, 12:20 AM
:sl:

Eek...I hate giving speeches. :p

Nice speech tho sis. :thumbs_up And congrats on graduating. :D

Halima
07-27-2005, 02:12 AM
OMG I get so nervous will giving speeches and see I'm a shy person and it's really difficult. :-[ anyways, congradulations sister. well done :sister:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.