/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Yawning

Count DeSheep
03-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Do does anyone else's eyes get watery when they yawn? I'm the only person I know of that does that...>.<

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strider
03-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Yes, my eyes water.

~H~
03-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Not normally.. only sometimes..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
well sometimes...it waters when im tired too :X cuz the air feels cold on it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
strider
Reading this topic is making me yawn.

England
03-03-2007, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Count DeSheep
Do does anyone else's eyes get watery when they yawn? I'm the only person I know of that does that...>.<
As soon as I clicked this link I literally yawned and now I cannot stop :uuh: Yes my are watering.

strider
03-03-2007, 11:08 PM
^ Cute picture. :D

Count DeSheep
03-03-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm saving that 'un one on meh computer...I like that cat...=D

I'm surprised so many people replied so quickly...I expected everyone to secretly meet and agree to totally ignore this thread...>.<

Edit: Who called us mutants?! =(

Learning
03-03-2007, 11:23 PM
seeing another yawn gives one a 55% chance of yawning back. oh and yes my eyes do water

'Abd al-Baari
03-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Salams

interesting thread

Snowflake
03-03-2007, 11:31 PM
great! now I can't help yawning.. that's three times by the time I post this :uhwhat

btw, my eyes water if I'm really tired

'Abd al-Baari
03-03-2007, 11:32 PM
lol

Snowflake
03-03-2007, 11:36 PM
^I bet your yawning too :D

I wonder if fish yawn.. through their gills lol

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-03-2007, 11:39 PM
:lol: Im yawning too :X And cuz im just exhausted :p

jzcasejz
03-03-2007, 11:40 PM
As Soon As I Saw The Cat Pic...I Started Yawning lol...

strider
03-03-2007, 11:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
^I bet your yawning too :D

I wonder if fish yawn.. through their gills lol
Yes, fish yawn to clear particles our of their gills.:D

Ar-RaYYan
03-03-2007, 11:44 PM
i always get tears on my eyes whenever i yawn and its not just few drops of water but people sometimes ask me if i have been crying :rant: seriously it annoyes me sometimes also like most people i also get tears on my eyes when the weather is very cold with wind- i'm definetly emotional person

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-03-2007, 11:49 PM
^^Yea, cold breeze makes it look like i just cried ;D And when I sneeze lolll

Count DeSheep
03-03-2007, 11:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
i always get tears on my eyes whenever i yawn and its not just few drops of water but people sometimes ask me if i have been crying :rant:
At least I'm not alone there...=D

And WOW! I never expected TWO pages! Awesomeness! =D

England
03-03-2007, 11:56 PM
The question is what is the purpose of yawning? Why do we yawn? :uuh:

Goku
03-03-2007, 11:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
I think it relieves some tiredness.

strider
03-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Why do we yawn?

Goku
03-03-2007, 11:58 PM
My eyes usually dont water when I yawn, maybe when its very cold or i'm very,very tired then they might water.

Count DeSheep
03-03-2007, 11:59 PM
No! Stop thinking! Thinking=bad! Just go yawn, and don't think about it!

Like so::yawn:

See? Even the smilies get watery eyes. I'm not alone! =D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Ahhh, u people make me tired :X lol

al Amaanah
03-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Yawning is from the Shaytaan. If any of you feels the urge to yawn, let him resist it as much as possible, for if any of you says ‘Ha’ (makes a noise when yawning), the Shaytaan laughs." (al-Bukhari no. 3289)

Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Allaah loves the act of sneezing and dislikes the act of yawning. If any one of you sneezes and praises Allaah, it is a duty on every Muslim who hears him to say ‘Yarhamak Allaah (May Allaah have mercy on you).’ As for yawning, it is from Shaytaan, so if any of you feels the urge to yawn, let him resist it as much as he can, for if any of you yawns, the Shaytaan laughs at him." (al-Bukhari, Fath, no. 6226)

Abu Hurayrah reported that the Messenger of Allaah

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Yawning is from Shaytaan, so if any of you feels the urge to yawn, let him resist it as much as he can." (Muslim, 2994)

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Sneezing is from Allaah and yawning is from Shaytaan. If any of you yawns, let him place his hand over his mouth. If he says ‘Ah, ah!’ (makes a noise when yawning), Shaytaan laughs from inside him." Abu ‘Eesaa said: this is a saheeh hasan hadeeth. (Sunan al-Tirmidhi, no. 2746; classified as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 4130)

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Allah loves sneezing and dislikes yawning. If any one of you sneezes and says ‘Al-hamdu Lillaah,’ it is a duty on everyone who hears him to say ‘Yarhamak Allaah.’ As for yawning, if any one of you feels the urge to yawn, let him resist it as much as he can, and do not say ‘Hah, hah’ (do not make a noise when yawning), for this is from Shaytaan and he laughs at it." Abu ‘Eesaa said: This is a saheeh hadeeth. (Sunan al-Tirmidhi, 2747)

Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri reported that the Messenger of Allaah

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "If any of you yawns, let him cover his mouth lest the Shaytaan enter." (Abu Dawud)

Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri reported that the Messenger of Allaah

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "If any of you feels the urge to yawn, let him resist it as much as possible, lest the Shaytaan enter his mouth." (Imaam Ahmad)

According to another report also narrated by Imaam Ahmad, Shaytaan enters when a person yawns. (Saheeh al-Jaami’, 426)

From the reports quoted above, we may summarize the following:

1. That Shaytaan prompts the human to yawn, which is indicative of laziness and sluggishness.
2. That Shaytaan enters the person who yawns.
3. That Shaytaan laughs at man and makes fun of his ugly appearance when he is in that state.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
:w:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-04-2007, 01:51 AM
I find it very hard to not yawn. Especially when I have to take those deep yawns. Sometimes i cant breath clearly if I dont.

Count DeSheep
03-04-2007, 09:37 AM
al Amânah...You do realize that just reading your post will make people yawn like five times, right? >.<

strider
03-04-2007, 10:08 AM
This is such a cool topic! :D

Malaikah
03-04-2007, 10:13 AM
In short, the devil makes us yawn and then laughs at us.:rollseyes

Snowflake
03-04-2007, 11:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
I find it very hard to not yawn. Especially when I have to take those deep yawns. Sometimes i cant breath clearly if I dont.
Yeh same here, sometimes I yawn like a lion.. I mean my jaw stretches as far as it can go.. but when I'm reading namaz I try to stop it. It's really hard and I could feel my face getting pulled into weird expressions. :lol:

Periwinkle18
03-04-2007, 12:11 PM
when i opened this thread i started to yawn yes my eyes do get watery

Malaikah
03-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Yeh same here, sometimes I yawn like a lion.. I mean my jaw stretches as far as it can go.. but when I'm reading namaz I try to stop it.
:sl:

Sis, you aren't meant to do that, the devil laughs at you, you're meant to suppress it as much as you can. :)

Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Yawning is from the Shaytaan. If any of you feels the urge to yawn, let him resist it as much as possible, for if any of you says ‘Ha’ (makes a noise when yawning), the Shaytaan laughs." (al-Bukhari no. 3289)

al Amaanah
03-04-2007, 05:29 PM
al Am&#226;nah...You do realize that just reading your post will make people yawn like five times, right? >.<
Its ahadith but if you dont want to, then dont?

AtTiYa
03-04-2007, 05:39 PM
only when im tired my eyes water...like nw!!!

Maidah
03-04-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm amazed how there are 3 pages of replies on a thread about yawning:giggling:

Way to go ppl:thumbs_up

P.S my eyes go really watery, as if i've opened a tap:-[

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Yeh same here, sometimes I yawn like a lion.. I mean my jaw stretches as far as it can go.. but when I'm reading namaz I try to stop it. It's really hard and I could feel my face getting pulled into weird expressions. :lol:
:lol: :lol: I laffed through ur entire post. I do the same thing ;D sometimes i feel like i cracked my jaw if i try to stop it, cuz the yawning is so strong.

Count DeSheep
03-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Yeh same here, sometimes I yawn like a lion.. I mean my jaw stretches as far as it can go
Hey, you stole that from me! And I stole that from my chihuahua, who thinks she's a lion...XD

north_malaysian
03-05-2007, 08:03 AM
most of the time... my eyes watered.

Just like this ------------> :laugh:

Need some Eye-Mo Moist now...

AHMED_GUREY
03-05-2007, 08:10 AM
not when i yawn only when i'm walking on the streets and this cold breeze comes outta nowhere then i get those watery eyes, some friends have asked me a few times wether i was crying for real :cry: :D

siFilam
03-05-2007, 08:14 AM
:salamext:
wow, Masahallah, 3 pages about yawning.
I'm among the minorities who are not mutants. :haha:

by the way, was I the only one scared by that cat picture in the 1st page?

wasalam

-SI-

BlissfullyJaded
03-05-2007, 08:56 AM

Interesting... I didn't yawn once while reading this thread. Seriously. Anyways, cover your mouths people! lol.

No, my eyes don't get watery.

Snowflake
03-05-2007, 09:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Sis, you aren't meant to do that, the devil laughs at you, you're meant to suppress it as much as you can. :)

Abu Hurayrah reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Yawning is from the Shaytaan. If any of you feels the urge to yawn, let him resist it as much as possible, for if any of you says ‘Ha’ (makes a noise when yawning), the Shaytaan laughs." (al-Bukhari no. 3289)
lol inshaAllah sis, I do try and manage to suppress it but sometimes it's like my mouth is being prised open by invisable clamps and I just have to go with it :giggling:

as I'm sure Jazzy does too :p

Asyur an-Nagi
03-05-2007, 10:04 AM
yes, most of the time. when we open our mouth in yawning movement, the temporomandibular joints slide to its' gingilimus position (sliding), and exert some force toward our facial muscles, and put sufficient pressure toward our lacrimal sac. that what happens i guess :p

Mawaddah
03-05-2007, 12:01 PM
My eyes water real bad when I yawn.

In fact it waters so bad that the tears drop all over the place and make me look like I'm crying :rollseyes

HIJABI***
03-05-2007, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Learning
seeing another yawn gives one a 55% chance of yawning back. oh and yes my eyes do water
that is so true weneva i c any1 yawn i do but my eyes dnt water:laugh:

Talha777
03-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

Yawning is bad manners and should be avoided as much as possible. It is a sign of laziness. The sound you make while yawning is really Satan laughing. So try to supress it as much as possible, and cover your mouth if you feel the urge. Jazak Allah khair.

zaria
03-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Salaam, Insha'Allah you can prevent your yawning as i try too. I read in Bukari that Sahitan smiles upon the one who yawns and Allah loves the one who sneeze. So if you can not stop your yawn, make sure you cover your mouth so Shaitan want enter.

Masha'Allah

Count DeSheep
03-05-2007, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

Interesting... I didn't yawn once while reading this thread. Seriously. Anyways, cover your mouths people! lol.

No, my eyes don't get watery.
Mutant! XP

format_quote Originally Posted by zaria
So if you can not stop your yawn, make sure you cover your mouth so Shaitan want enter.
That thar is only some com-on man-erz. Everyone do does that, do doesn't they?

Me gawts gud gramer. XD

zaria
03-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Mutant! XP

That thar is only some com-on man-erz. Everyone do does that, do doesn't they?

Me gawts gud gramer. XD

Yes it is common courtesy to cover you mouth but also recommend by our prophet (saw) to do so for the reasons of not being able to surpress so cover your mout and don't make a "ah" sound so Shaitan can not come in or laugh at you.

Allah and his messenger knows best!

NobleMuslimUK
03-05-2007, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

Yawning is bad manners and should be avoided as much as possible. It is a sign of laziness. The sound you make while yawning is really Satan laughing. So try to supress it as much as possible, and cover your mouth if you feel the urge. Jazak Allah khair.
Yes my eyes water too, like :laugh: .
I heard about this a long time back but hadnt read Ahadith about it. I know I can be really lazy sometimes, and yawning is hard to avoid, so I usually say Astaghfirullah. A lot of people yawn make a loud noise then say Allah u Akbar.

Is it wrong to say something like that when yawning?

zaria
03-07-2007, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
I heard about this a long time back but hadnt read Ahadith about it. I know I can be really lazy sometimes, and yawning is hard to avoid, so I usually say Astaghfirullah. A lot of people yawn make a loud noise then say Allah u Akbar.

Is it wrong to say something like that when yawning?
Allahu' Alim

I say Ahu du Billahi Minash Shaitanir Rajeem ( I seek refuge in Allah from the rejected Shaitan). When and whenI can not surpress my yawn.

Muezzin
03-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Yes, my eyes water sometimes. The movement compresses the tear glands. Same reason why people's eyes water if they laugh hard enough.

And yes, obviously, cover your mouth when you yawn. Nobody wants to see your wriggling epiglottis.

The Ruler
03-07-2007, 08:29 PM

norp, im a mutant...and im loving it.

AbuAbdallah
03-07-2007, 08:56 PM
I say Ahu du Billahi Minash Shaitanir Rajeem ( I seek refuge in Allah from the rejected Shaitan). When and whenI can not surpress my yawn.
salaam,
You should not say that every time you yawn.

And Allah Knows Best.

Count DeSheep
03-07-2007, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AbuAbdallah
format_quote Originally Posted by zaria
You should not say that every time you yawn.
Eh? How come?

Malaikah
03-08-2007, 03:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
I heard about this a long time back but hadnt read Ahadith about it.

It was posted earlier:

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

AbuAbdallah
03-08-2007, 06:13 AM
Eh? How come?
There is no evidence for it, which makes it an innovation.

And Allah Knows Best.

Khalid1402
03-09-2007, 03:00 AM

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I usually try not to allow my yawning to be noticeable, and sometimes that causes my eyes to water.

Khadijah79
04-04-2007, 04:58 PM
well mine do sometimes....

nadia85
04-04-2007, 05:07 PM
yes sometimes only if iam very very tired

FatimaAsSideqah
04-04-2007, 05:18 PM

Why do we yawn in Ramadaan when the devils have been chained up? And is the transmission of television pictures haraam?

Question:
It is well known that the devils are chained up in Ramadaan and that yawning comes from the Shaytaan, so why do we yawn in Ramadaan?
And it is known that making images of human beings is haraam, so is the transmission of television pictures regarded as haraam?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Al-Bukhaari (6226) and Muslim (2994) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah likes sneezing and dislikes yawning, so if one of you sneezes and praises Allaah (by saying Al-hamdu Lillaah), it is a duty upon every Muslim who hears him to say to him, Yarhamuk Allaah (may Allaah have mercy on you). With regard to yawning, it is from the Shaytaan so if one of you feels like yawning, let him suppress it as much as he can, for if one of you yawns the Shaytaan laughs at him.

Concerning the meaning of that, it was said that the Shaytaan likes to see a person yawning because it makes him look different and so he laughs at him. It does not mean that the Shaytaan is the one who makes him yawn. And it was said that yawning is attributed to the Shaytaan because yawning comes from fullness of the stomach, which generates laziness, which happens under the influence of the Shaytaan. Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Yawning is attributed to the Shaytaan because it promotes whims and desires, because it stems from heaviness of the body, excessive relaxation and fullness of the stomach. So what is meant is a warning against the thing that leads to that, which is eating too much.

Al-Manaawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: It is attributed to him because he is the one who calls for giving the self its share of desires. What is meant here is to warn against the things that lead to that, which is eating too much and eating one's fill, which makes the body feel too heavy and tired to do acts of worship.

There should be no confusion stemming from the fact that people yawn during Ramadaan even though the devils are chained up at that time, because what is meant by saying that it is from the Shaytaan is that he likes it. The fact that he likes it and approves of it does not mean that he is not chained, rather that could happen even if he was chained.

Based on the view that this is caused by the influence of the Shaytaan, either directly or indirectly, it was said that the ones who are chained up during Ramadaan are the maarids among the devils (i.e., the strong evil ones) only, and that others remain as they are, so yawning may be caused by those who are not chained up.

But based on the view that what is meant by the chaining up of the devils is that their influence on the believers is less during that month than in other months, perhaps yawning results from the little influence that they are still able to have during Ramadaan.
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=14253&ln=eng

I seek refuge in Allah Ta'ala from the cursed of Shatyan!

Sister of Islam

*~Sofia~*
04-04-2007, 07:03 PM

its soo weird dat as soon as i started reading this thread.. i started yawning too!! n yeh wen i was yawnin a lil while ago, my eyes did water! :lol:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.