/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I’m American….Shhh!! Don’t tell!

Muslim Woman
03-04-2007, 12:20 AM

I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&

Analyzing the pandemic of global American Hatred

By Jessica Long

02/27/07 "ICH" -- -- Alright, alright!! The secret is out….. I am, regrettably, not Canadian.

In fact, I am an American from a small city called Olympia, WA about three hours south of the Canadian border. But shhh…. Don’t tell!

Perhaps if you knew the grief these three hours distance have caused me the last six years you wouldn’t judge me so harshly for this little white lie.

.....Not only is it not safe to be an American abroad, it is not tolerated!

The majority of Americans I meet while traveling admit to the same lie as I do: “I am, uh… Canadian.”

http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle17198.htm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
03-04-2007, 12:25 AM
comparitive religion?

Muslim Woman
03-04-2007, 12:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
comparitive religion?

Salaam/peace;

yak.........i thought , i posted it on the General Forum :eek:

snakelegs
03-04-2007, 12:48 AM
:giggling: i'm sure it will find its way over there!
wow! that was quick!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
03-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Salaam/peace

:giggling: i'm sure it will find its way over there!
wow! that was quick!!

--thanks for pointing out. i don't know how it happened :confused:

i was reading a post in general forum , then i clicked on new thread & that took me to comearative religion.......not fair :okay:

Skillganon
03-04-2007, 02:25 AM
lol.

So you are an american?

Native or immigrant?

snakelegs
03-04-2007, 06:20 AM
well, after whining about it being on the wrong forum, i guess i should comment. i'm an american and i don't have $ to travel to other countries. if i did, i think i would feel pretty uncomfortable to be identified as such.
i love my country, but i am ashamed of what has been and continues to be done in our name. i feel bush has disgraced us in the eyes of the entire world.

Muslim Woman
03-04-2007, 08:33 AM

Salaam;

format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
lol.

So you are an american?

Native or immigrant?

haha, which identity is much safer ? :)

may be , safest is not to be an American at all ? :D

I m on the safe side :rollseyes

Count DeSheep
03-04-2007, 09:42 AM
i love my country...
The country that you have 'cause you stole it from my people, the Native Americans? There's this thing, it's called genocide...That's why America exists.

strider
03-04-2007, 10:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Count DeSheep
The country that you have 'cause you stole it from my people, the Native Americans? There's this thing, it's called genocide...That's why America exists.
Would you rather live in the past or the present looking forward to the future?

AQSA
03-04-2007, 10:09 AM

Harsh..... but true.

One thing ive always wonderd though.... is why is was labled the 'new land'?

snakelegs
03-04-2007, 10:50 AM
i am well aware of our past and i don't love it. i don't love a lot of things we've done and are still doing.
but i was born here. i stole nothing from your people. is it wrong for me to love my country?

Muezzin
03-04-2007, 01:07 PM
That's a brutally honest article.

That may be, but it's grossly unfair to blame that on every person currently living there.

Keltoi
03-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Being a Native American myself, and by that I mean a member of the Kiowa Tribe, I can honestly say that I'm proud to be an American, and proud of my country. Do I wish things would have happened differently in relation to the colonization of the "New World", yes of course. That being said, I'm very proud of my country and I'm not "afraid" to tell anyone about it. The Native American population in the U.S. are very patriotic Americans, and serve in the U.S. Armed Forces at a higher percentage as a population than any other segment of the country. That is also something I'm very proud of.

Count DeSheep
03-04-2007, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
That may be, but it's grossly unfair to blame that on every person currently living there.
I don't put blame on everyone living there. Just the ones who call themselves American. The ones who want to (and have largely succeeded in) defiling the land. Just a few months ago, there were people who wanted to dig up Native graves and erect a building. Of course, this story was only on the news once, and I haven't seen it online. Not important enough for the Americans to really care about.

is it wrong for me to love my country?
If your country is America, then yes. If you love your country, then you put yourself in the same group as the devils that came and slaughtered innocent people. They're as bad or worse than terrorists, whether you want to admit it or not.

format_quote Originally Posted by AQSA
One thing ive always wonderd though.... is why is was labled the 'new land'?
'Cause it was new to the white people who invaded everywhere else.

format_quote Originally Posted by strider
I'd rather live in the past, before the white man came. At least then there would be a sense of duty and honor in the people of "America".

Keltoi
03-04-2007, 09:25 PM
I don't put blame on everyone living there. Just the ones who call themselves American. The ones who want to (and have largely succeeded in) defiling the land. Just a few months ago, there were people who wanted to dig up Native graves and erect a building. Of course, this story was only on the news once, and I haven't seen it online. Not important enough for the Americans to really care about.

If your country is America, then yes. If you love your country, then you put yourself in the same group as the devils that came and slaughtered innocent people. They're as bad or worse than terrorists, whether you want to admit it or not.

'Cause it was new to the white people who invaded everywhere else.

I'd rather live in the past, before the white man came. At least then there would be a sense of duty and honor in the people of "America".
What tribe are you a member of if I may ask?

Living in the past isn't going to change anything, and the U.S. isn't going anywhere. The Americans today can't do anything to change the past, the only thing that can be done is to address the problems in the Native community, i.e., poverty, drug and alcohol abuse, poverty, etc. Insults and name calling isn't going to improve anything.

Count DeSheep
03-04-2007, 09:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Being a Native American myself, and by that I mean a member of the Kiowa Tribe, I can honestly say that I'm proud to be an American, and proud of my country.
Why? Why be proud to join those that have committed genocide? They were the original Nazis! They did to us what the Nazis did to the Jews! How can you call yourself an American after what they've done? At least the Jews got a country of their own. What do we have? A few reservations, mostly on ground unsuitable for growing food. Many of us are now corrupted by gambling, alcohol, and tobacco. How can you call yourself American after they've all but destroyed our people?

Do I wish things would have happened differently in relation to the colonization of the "New World", yes of course. That being said, I'm very proud of my country and I'm not "afraid" to tell anyone about it. The Native American population in the U.S. are very patriotic Americans, and serve in the U.S. Armed Forces at a higher percentage as a population than any other segment of the country. That is also something I'm very proud of.
As I understand it, a good many of us, if not all of us, that serve in the military do so to protect what little they have left. They don't want to be totally wiped off the map, and so they enlist.

snakelegs
03-04-2007, 09:30 PM

you know - this is really B.S. and a load of crap.
i am as bad as a terrorist because i happen to have been born here? i don't even know who my ancestors were, but i can be reasonably be sure that they came not all that long ago before i was born, and they were probably fleeing the very same kind of people that oppressed your people. millions of people came here because they were victims also.
yes - i am aware that this country was founded on genocide as well as slavery. i know no other country - what do you expect me to do? sit in a corner and be miserable and guilt-ridden for crimes i had nothing to do with? commited by the kind of people who wouldn't even give me the time of day?
if you have made these kind of people turn you into a person eaten by hate - i guess they've been victorious.
loving my country is not the same as loving what my government has done and is doing even as i write.

Count DeSheep
03-04-2007, 09:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
What tribe are you a member of if I may ask?
I am not a conventional Native American. I do not focus on membership of individual tribes, but rather on supporting the Native cause. I am not an officialy recognized member of any tribe, although I had a grandparent that was full Apache and a great-great-grandparent that was full Choctaw. I do not call myself American, as I can never be a part of that group. I am not a genocidal, self-interested capitalist. Americans, for the most part, are.

Living in the past isn't going to change anything, and the U.S. isn't going anywhere. The Americans today can't do anything to change the past, the only thing that can be done is to address the problems in the Native community, i.e., poverty, drug and alcohol abuse, poverty, etc. Insults and name calling isn't going to improve anything.
I do not live in the past, I live in the present. I live in the time where there are few that actually care about my people. The Americans will never give us back another inch of land, they will never care about us being in poverty or anything. Not unless we gain some kind of advantage over them. There are a few Americans that realize exactly how horrible the crimes of America are, but not enough to get anything done. We must be self-sustaining. If we want something done, we must do it ourselves.

Keltoi
03-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Why? Why be proud to join those that have committed genocide? They were the original Nazis! They did to us what the Nazis did to the Jews! How can you call yourself an American after what they've done? At least the Jews got a country of their own. What do we have? A few reservations, mostly on ground unsuitable for growing food. Many of us are now corrupted by gambling, alcohol, and tobacco. How can you call yourself American after they've all but destroyed our people?

As I understand it, a good many of us, if not all of us, that serve in the military do so to protect what little they have left. They don't want to be totally wiped off the map, and so they enlist.
Genocide? That is a rather loaded word, and truth be told, the Americans were far less responsible for Native deaths as some other colonial powers, namely the Spanish. In any event, genocide or no, the Americans of today are not responsible for atrocities committed by people hundreds of years ago. There were atrocities committed by my people that I'm not proud of either.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say Native Americans join the armed forces to "protect what they have left"...that doesn't really make sense. One could make the argument that many Natives join the military to escape the cycle of poverty on the reservations and urban areas in which they live, but in my experience they are proud to be serving THEIR country.

Count DeSheep
03-04-2007, 09:47 PM
you know - this is really B.S. and a load of crap.
i am as bad as a terrorist because i happen to have been born here?
No, you are as bad as a terrorist because you call yourself American. You give your allegiance to a country that slaughtered so many innocents, and for that you are as bad as a terrorist.

yes - i am aware that this country was founded on genocide as well as slavery. i know no other country - what do you expect me to do? sit in a corner and be miserable and guilt-ridden for crimes i had nothing to do with? commited by the kind of people who wouldn't even give me the time of day?
No. I expect you to not call yourself American. To do so is an insult to justice.

if you have made these kind of people turn you into a person eaten by hate - i guess they've been victorious.
I hate the genocidal criminals who stole everything they have from my people. Hating criminals is not giving them victory; it is giving those of us that recognize criminals a motivation to do justice.

loving my country is not the same as loving what my government has done and is doing even as i write.
Your country is full of people that don't care in the least what their government has done. My people are portrayed as the villians in almost every movie they're in. The few history books that actually acknowledge us as the victims are not taken seriously; apathy is very widespread among Americans.

Loving your lifestyle is completely different from loving your country.

Keltoi
03-04-2007, 09:48 PM
I am not a conventional Native American. I do not focus on membership of individual tribes, but rather on supporting the Native cause. I am not an officialy recognized member of any tribe, although I had a grandparent that was full Apache and a great-great-grandparent that was full Choctaw. I do not call myself American, as I can never be a part of that group. I am not a genocidal, self-interested capitalist. Americans, for the most part, are.

I do not live in the past, I live in the present. I live in the time where there are few that actually care about my people. The Americans will never give us back another inch of land, they will never care about us being in poverty or anything. Not unless we gain some kind of advantage over them. There are a few Americans that realize exactly how horrible the crimes of America are, but not enough to get anything done. We must be self-sustaining. If we want something done, we must do it ourselves.
:rollseyes ....Those genocidal, self-interested capitalists are the reason you are free to state your opinion on any issue on an internet forum. The point is not to forget the past, but to work towards a better future. The way of life of my people is over. It isn't coming back. The only solution is to accept the situation we find ourselves in and stop being the victim. It isn't easy being a defeated people, at least physically, but working with the American people, of which we are a part, is the only way to truly make a difference in our community. Hatred and apathy is the surest way to make sure nothing will change.

snakelegs
03-04-2007, 10:20 PM
No, you are as bad as a terrorist because you call yourself American. You give your allegiance to a country that slaughtered so many innocents, and for that you are as bad as a terrorist..

No. I expect you to not call yourself American. To do so is an insult to justice.
what makes you think i run around saying "i'm an american, i'm an american."
i am a human being first and foremost. because i was born here i love my country - this doesn't mean i'm a raving nationalist or think americans are superior or anything like that. i don't "call myself" an american - i was born here, just as surely as you were. there is much to be ashamed of but there is also much to be grateful for. first and foremost, i love the land itself - its deserts and mountains, it's wildlife etc etc. and not the flag.

I hate the genocidal criminals who stole everything they have from my people. Hating criminals is not giving them victory; it is giving those of us that recognize criminals a motivation to do justice.

Your country is full of people that don't care in the least what their government has done. My people are portrayed as the villians in almost every movie they're in. The few history books that actually acknowledge us as the victims are not taken seriously; apathy is very widespread among Americans.

Loving your lifestyle is completely different from loving your country.
yes, many could care less - not only about crimes we have committed in the past, but crimes that we're committing right now. but, just like your people, we are not all alike.
i would support an attempt at reparations to native americans, as well as to black americans (who were actually promised 40 acres and a mule, that never happened).
p.s. believe it or not, i am not a genocidal capitalist pig, or a criminal terroist. i just fell out of my mother on this soil and it is all i know.
remember - most of the immigrants were fleeing the same kind of people who oppressed yours and had nothing to do with what was done to the native american people.
if you want to hate - well, that's your business.

Muslim Woman
03-05-2007, 01:08 AM
Salaam/peace

few comments from the main site:

a guest: please stop

i'm canadian. please stop pretending to be canadian before people really catch on and just start hating us too.

we'd file a class action lawsuit for defamation but that wouldn't be very canadian, would it.

if you want to say you're from up here, change your name to gordon or julie-francoise, buy a good coat, learn some god**** manners and start filling out the northwest territories.

good luck.

February 28, 2007

..a few years ago, within days following the invasion of Afghanistan, while walking a street in a poor, shabby and tough looking neighborhood in a Thai village.

A rather rough looking fellow, quite a bit younger, heavier, and in a hellova lot better shape than I, abruptly confronted me on the street and, in loud, clear and adequate English (I do not speak Thai) demanded to know, "Hey, are you American?"

I reflected on the plausible claim that I might be Canadian (my mother and father were both first-generation Americans, both of their families, Anglo and Franco, having emigrated from Canada), or South American.

I speak, or once spoke, the language well enough that while living or traveling in CA and SA I have often been mistaken for anyone but an American. "De donde es? De que país viene?" And they would suggest Puerto Rico, Cuba, or one of the other nations which might explain the accent they could not place.

But, rarely would they suggest Norte America!

But, I reflected, I've been an America leopard too long now to start trying to change my spots, and I’ve trod the path of peril as an American before, playing the role of the Armed American tourist, so why back down and deny my nativity now, in the face of one man, no matter that he could probably beat the siht out of me with one hand.

I stepped back slightly, adjusted my inner demeanor to a "come on, do it... if this is what it costs, send me the bill..." attitude, curled my fingers and placed my feet in a way a young Marine Corporal had taught me one day, stared into his eyes and said, "Yes, I'm an American!"

Before I had any chance to defend myself, this heavily built young man launched himself at me, wrapped his arms around my body, pulled me close and jamming his head into my shoulder, almost sobbed, "Oh, I am so sorry for you... your country is at war once more. I am so sorry."

Well, that was some time ago, there has been a lot of water over the dam, and George Bush has flushed a lot of hard, well-earned and heavily-paid-for goodwill down the toilet since then.

I frankly do not know how I would handle a similar situation today. It has not been a problem. But, I will not start staying inside the house, nor buy a gun, nor carry a club. Been there, done all of that, and there are too many Americans out there doing just that right now.

And, that's been the problem all along, Ms Long...

a guest: ...

Apparently ,George W Bush had not left the shores of the USA,prior to taking office.

It goes to show that the American's are being led by an insulated,ignorant fool.

A case of "the blind leading the blind".

February 28, 2007

a guest: just under half????? yeah right.

i would put the percentage of British people as anti american much higher, maybe just under 50% before 9/11 but now i has to be at least 75% of the man of the street.

I would say nearly all dislike brash arrogance and always have, its observed most in comments of hollywood films re-writing history, and the US opinion that they single handedly won both world wars.

.....After hearing some yank ask a receptionist in a hotel in Canada once, "What's Canada day? Is that like the fourth of July?"

you can see what's wrong :enough!:

I was tempted to tell him, "That's the day Canadians celebrate not being yank!"

The receptionist was too polite to say anything.

Arvy: Good one, but ...

"That's the day Canadians celebrate not being yank!"

... the way things are going here at the moment, with "GWB MiniMe" at the helm, I'm not sure there's going to be much left to celebrate in a few more years.

February 27, 2007

It is good to see American intellectuals like Jessica Long pondering the reasons for their nation's extreme unpopularity in the world-community.

However, she hasn't got to the root of it yet. She thinks it's about American cultural isolation, but that's only part of it.

There have been other isolationist cultures which the rest of the world has loved, like Tibet for instance.

What she, and most Americans with professional careers don't seem to understand, is how immature and adolescant-minded most Americans generally appear to be in other people's eyes.

a guest: A memory

a few years ago, pre Bush, my spouse and I were happily living in Germany.

One of my in-laws came to visit us, the woman is from the hinterland. We tried to take her to museums, galleries, beer gardens, etc. but she only wanted to go to shops to buy kitsch and postcards.

It was really embarrassing to listen to her tell the clerks "I'm from AMERICA..." always expecting a reaction from people who have seen enough Americans to last them 10 lifetimes.

At one shop after the "I'm from America" sing-song, she added "but I'm German, my last name is Schmidt".

The man behind the counter took a look at her and asked her "Were you born in Germany?" "No I'm from America", "Do you speak German?" "No, in America we speak English..."

he replied "You're not a German, you're just another American in Germany" he then walked away not even interested in cashing her out.

To our great relief this episode ended her cute little girl spiel and sing-song. She was under the belief that everyone loves Americans and wants to live in America.

She expected Oooohs and Aaaaahs, but got none. "Geeeez they don't like Americans very much here..."

This memory brings a smile to my face each time I relate it.

snakelegs
03-05-2007, 01:18 AM
hehehe...i like canada. i lived there for about 6 months as an illegal immigrant!

brenton
03-05-2007, 01:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
This was responding to the Genocide --> America comment. Not, of course, what the thread is about, but I thought the quoted response above is the key issue for the 21st c. It will be the difference between Regional/World War & relative peace.

Perhaps the thread could be on topic?

I welcome the new American member. I'm Canadian, and I've noticed both ill will and good will toward Americans since I began travelling throughout the world in 1990. I lived in Japan, and it was generally favorable toward Americans, despite the fact that they were nuked, suppressed, starved, beaten, and occupied. I think the PsP is a kind of revenge.

They like Canadians too. Many do, but we aren't perfect either.

wilberhum
03-05-2007, 02:53 AM
Amazing some one who is too ashamed to show where is from calls people terrorists because of where they live. (Lives in XP, what a sad case)

north_malaysian
03-05-2007, 07:56 AM
The Americans living in Malaysia have no problems calling themselves Americans, because Malaysian Muslims dont hate Americans (they just hate Bush and his gang).

So, if any of you americans coming here... just be proud to call yourselves as Americans.

It's nice to see many Native Americans interested in a Muslim forum.

Liibaan
03-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Typical Americans, so proud of their country and beat their cheasts with rhetoric like "I'm a proud American!!" and "If you ain't with us, you're against us". But when it's convenient for them, all of a sudden, they're not so proud to be American. I know this isn't the case with all Americans, but I imagine the majority of them are like this.

wilberhum
03-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Typical Americans
I would like to know how you define a typical American.
We are the most diverse country in the world.

Muslim Woman
03-06-2007, 01:32 AM
Salaam/peace

format_quote Originally Posted by Liibaan
Typical Americans.... beat their cheasts with rhetoric like "I'm a proud American!!"

---haha, have u seen anyone doing
this ? :giggling:

and "If you ain't with us, you're against us".

---it's really unfortunate that Americans elected Bush again as their leader . But when i see website like '' Sorry World , we tried '' created by an young Amercian & so many sad faces telling us that not ALL Americans are proud of their President & they don't support the killing of innocents , it's hard to condemn ALL or most Americans.

But when it's convenient for them, all of a sudden, they're not so proud to be American..
--- Few years back , while travelling in India , suddenly a person came & asked me ' Are u a Muslim' ? I got nervous & many incidents of riot , Muslim killing in India came in to my mind & for 2/3 seconds i thought should i say no ,
i'm hindu .

Well , as i was not alone , i answered yes , i m a Muslim. I m not sure if i was alone there , what could be my answer.

north_malaysian
03-06-2007, 07:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
We are the most diverse country in the world.
Because all nationalities are lured by American Dream

wilberhum
03-06-2007, 05:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Because all nationalities are lured by American Dream
True. People come here for lots of reasons, some come for the dream, some come for the reality.

doodlebug
03-07-2007, 05:05 AM
Why would you want to say you're from Canada? I'm not proud at the moment to be an American and I cringed each time my husband would tell the cabbies in Cairo that I was from Amreeka, but still...if I were gonna make something up I think we could do better than Canada. :)

Actually to be honest, when people would ask me directly in Egypt where I was from I said I was Irish and Polish. Which is true. I'm 1/2 Irish and 1/2 Polish. I didn't kill any native americans. I'm not THAT old. lol.

north_malaysian
03-07-2007, 06:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
Why would you want to say you're from Canada? I'm not proud at the moment to be an American and I cringed each time my husband would tell the cabbies in Cairo that I was from Amreeka
This is so weird..... is it a problem calling yourself an American in Egypt?

Yanal
03-08-2007, 12:43 AM
I am a canadian and i live in vancouver

Muslim Woman
03-08-2007, 12:49 AM

Salaam/peace;

format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
I am a canadian and i live in vancouver
--hello little bro ,

what's ur advice for Americans who said they are Canadian ...is it ok for them to do so :statisfie or u object :enough!: ?

Yanal
03-08-2007, 12:53 AM
well i think it is not okay for them to call them selves canadians and also i don't think americans that think islam is a terriosm religon are worthy to be canadians becuz canada well respects islam and it is the only country that doesn't hate islam but i can't object or be mean because allah is recording everything but whatever happens is allahs wish and allahs wish iswhat happens:w:

Yanal
03-08-2007, 12:54 AM
so that is what i think sister

Muslim Woman
03-08-2007, 01:18 AM

Salaam/peace;

.....canada well respects islam and it is the only country that doesn't hate islam ...
---i read about a canadian school girl who was banned from taking part in games because of her veil. It will be off topic here. If u know the latest news , u can share it here .

http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...ghanistan.html

Liibaan
03-08-2007, 01:25 AM
canada well respects islam and it is the only country that doesn't hate islam
I wouldn't say that much about Canada. While we may respect Islam for the most part and Canada is probably one of the best countries for a Muslim to live in, we're far from perfect. Don't forget we let Maher Arar, a Canadian citizen, sit in a Syrian jail for a year, where he says he was tortured. And let's never forget our disastrous journey into Somalia in 1995. There are many more cases which make me feel ashamed to be Canadian at times, but for the most part, I think we're OK, and the best country in the world!! All we need now is an Islamic gov't.:D

Yanal
03-08-2007, 01:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam/peace;

---i read about a canadian school girl who was banned from taking part in games because of her veil. It will be off topic here. If u know the latest news , u can share it here .

http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...ghanistan.html
There are over 253 260 Muslims in Canada from over 60 countries speaking a variety of languages and adhering to their respective ethnic cultures. This Islamic mosaic is the consequence of various factors, including changes in Canadian IMMIGRATION policies as well as the economic and political upheavals affecting Muslims in their home countries. Over 60% of Muslims in Canada are foreign-born, having immigrated during the last 20 years. The 1871 census recorded only 13 Muslims. Their number had increased to 645 by 1931, mostly from Lebanon, Albania, Syria, Yugoslavia and Turkey. The influx of immigrants after WWII raised the number to 33 370 by 1971. The majority of this wave were highly educated, westernized professionals who came to settle in Canada to share in its economic prosperity. They were mostly from Lebanon, Syria, Indonesia, Morocco, Palestine, Egypt, Iraq and the Indo-Pakistani region. From 1966 to 1970 those of Indo-Pakistani background became the majority as thousands of unskilled labourers came to Canada to escape discrimination in East Africa and Britain. More recently arrived Muslims include unskilled workers from south Lebanon fleeing their war-torn country, and political REFUGEES from Iran and Afghanistan. Early settlements were concentrated in Ontario and Alberta, with a shift towards Québec in the 1930s. Those arriving in Canada since the 1960s have settled in urban areas. Two-thirds of all Muslims now live in Ontario, with others dispersed throughout the nation.
The first Canadian mosque was built in Edmonton in 1938. Other mosques and centres were not organized in major urban areas until the 1950s and 1970s. The majority of Muslims in Canada are Sunnis with a substantial number of Shia and adherents of other sects. The differences among the groups reflect early political divisions in Islamic history. Sunnis are those who live according to the guidance of the Qur'an and the teachings of Muhammad. The Shia believe that Ali (Muhammad's son-in-law) was designated as his successor, and that leadership of the community is restricted to his descendants. Both groups believe that the revelation through prophets has ceased, the Shia, however, accepting Imams as divinely ordained leaders providing a continuing source of Muslim doctrine.

The majority of the Shia in Canada are Ismailis (estimated at 22 000), whose present leader is the Aga Khan. The Twelver Shias believe that with the disappearance of the Twelfth Imam in 878 AD the leadership of the community is in the hands of the religious leaders, the Mujtahids. Their opinion is currently sought from the centres in Iraq and Iran. Other Islamic groups in Canada include Sufis (followers of the mystic traditions) and sects that are deemed non-Islamic by the majority, such as the Druze, the Alawis and the Qadyanis.

For Sunni Muslims, Canada offered a special challenge since they lacked designated leadership. Efforts at organization are principally at the local level. The Federation of Islamic Associations of the US and Canada was formed in the 1950s by second-generation Muslims of Arab background. With headquarters in Detroit, Mich, it has sought ways to help American-born Muslims maintain their Islam. In 1962, the Muslim Student Association was formed to instil Islamic consciousness in Muslim students in North America. A number of its alumni have opted to remain in Canada, forming the independent Council of Muslim Communities of Canada in 1972. The council's early leaders were Pakistani professionals who attempted to integrate Muslims of other ethnic and linguistic groups. Its objectives have changed, from forming links between Canadian Muslims and other national and international groups to organizing youth camps, providing scholarships for Muslims, and publishing school textbooks and books on Islam for use by parents. The Council of Muslim Communities of Canada joined the Council of Masajid (with headquarters in Saudi Arabia) in 1982.

Attempts by second- and third-generation Muslims to integrate into Canadian society are not welcomed by recent immigrants. Islamic law has provided over the years a description of what constitutes Islamic behaviour to the minutest detail. This the immigrant finds hard to implement because of the pressures of what some consider to be a "Christian" and others a "materialistic" environment in Canada. There are no public reminders for prayer 5 times a day, nor are allowances made by employers for fasting. Some Muslims question the need to pay the tithe since the Canadian government takes care of the poor and the widows through tax money. Islamic prohibition of usury raises the fear that paying interest on purchases is disobeying God. Islamic dietary restrictions against consumption of improperly slaughtered meat, of pork and pork byproducts and of liquor cause concern since they impede social integration, perceived by Canadians as necessary for professional promotion.

Men and Women in Islam

The area of greatest stress appears to be in male-female relations, since Islam teaches that there should be a segregation of the sexes and that Muslim women cannot marry non-Muslims. Islamic laws respecting personal status (marriage, divorce, inheritance) are not in complete harmony with Canadian laws, a circumstance which leads to numerous problems.

The Islamic organizations are attempting to deal with these problems. The CMCC has sought support from other Canadian organizations for the implementation of certain Islamic laws in the Canadian settings. Efforts are also made to establish good relations with other religious organizations through Christian-Muslim and Christian-Muslim-Jewish dialogue. Islam West Associates aims at promoting mutual understanding between Muslims in Canada and all other Canadians. Efforts also focus on sensitizing Canadian society to the prejudicial content of educational material in textbooks and SUNDAY SCHOOL texts.

There have been efforts recently to acquaint Canadian society with the Islamic contribution to culture, science and art. Travelling exhibits as well as videotape presentations have been prepared and a speakers' bureau has been organized. While welcoming the opportunities that Canadian human rights provide for Muslims, as well as the support of multiculturalism, Muslim leaders continue to voice concern over Canadian foreign policy in the Middle East and against prevailing social discrimination and underemployment of Muslims. That is what i have read in the news

There are over 253 260 Muslims in Canada from over 60 countries speaking a variety of languages and adhering to their respective ethnic cultures. This Islamic mosaic is the consequence of various factors, including changes in Canadian IMMIGRATION policies as well as the economic and political upheavals affecting Muslims in their home countries. Over 60% of Muslims in Canada are foreign-born, having immigrated during the last 20 years. The 1871 census recorded only 13 Muslims. Their number had increased to 645 by 1931, mostly from Lebanon, Albania, Syria, Yugoslavia and Turkey. The influx of immigrants after WWII raised the number to 33 370 by 1971. The majority of this wave were highly educated, westernized professionals who came to settle in Canada to share in its economic prosperity. They were mostly from Lebanon, Syria, Indonesia, Morocco, Palestine, Egypt, Iraq and the Indo-Pakistani region. From 1966 to 1970 those of Indo-Pakistani background became the majority as thousands of unskilled labourers came to Canada to escape discrimination in East Africa and Britain. More recently arrived Muslims include unskilled workers from south Lebanon fleeing their war-torn country, and political REFUGEES from Iran and Afghanistan. Early settlements were concentrated in Ontario and Alberta, with a shift towards Québec in the 1930s. Those arriving in Canada since the 1960s have settled in urban areas. Two-thirds of all Muslims now live in Ontario, with others dispersed throughout the nation.
The first Canadian mosque was built in Edmonton in 1938. Other mosques and centres were not organized in major urban areas until the 1950s and 1970s. The majority of Muslims in Canada are Sunnis with a substantial number of Shia and adherents of other sects. The differences among the groups reflect early political divisions in Islamic history. Sunnis are those who live according to the guidance of the Qur'an and the teachings of Muhammad. The Shia believe that Ali (Muhammad's son-in-law) was designated as his successor, and that leadership of the community is restricted to his descendants. Both groups believe that the revelation through prophets has ceased, the Shia, however, accepting Imams as divinely ordained leaders providing a continuing source of Muslim doctrine.

The majority of the Shia in Canada are Ismailis (estimated at 22 000), whose present leader is the Aga Khan. The Twelver Shias believe that with the disappearance of the Twelfth Imam in 878 AD the leadership of the community is in the hands of the religious leaders, the Mujtahids. Their opinion is currently sought from the centres in Iraq and Iran. Other Islamic groups in Canada include Sufis (followers of the mystic traditions) and sects that are deemed non-Islamic by the majority, such as the Druze, the Alawis and the Qadyanis.

For Sunni Muslims, Canada offered a special challenge since they lacked designated leadership. Efforts at organization are principally at the local level. The Federation of Islamic Associations of the US and Canada was formed in the 1950s by second-generation Muslims of Arab background. With headquarters in Detroit, Mich, it has sought ways to help American-born Muslims maintain their Islam. In 1962, the Muslim Student Association was formed to instil Islamic consciousness in Muslim students in North America. A number of its alumni have opted to remain in Canada, forming the independent Council of Muslim Communities of Canada in 1972. The council's early leaders were Pakistani professionals who attempted to integrate Muslims of other ethnic and linguistic groups. Its objectives have changed, from forming links between Canadian Muslims and other national and international groups to organizing youth camps, providing scholarships for Muslims, and publishing school textbooks and books on Islam for use by parents. The Council of Muslim Communities of Canada joined the Council of Masajid (with headquarters in Saudi Arabia) in 1982.

Attempts by second- and third-generation Muslims to integrate into Canadian society are not welcomed by recent immigrants. Islamic law has provided over the years a description of what constitutes Islamic behaviour to the minutest detail. This the immigrant finds hard to implement because of the pressures of what some consider to be a "Christian" and others a "materialistic" environment in Canada. There are no public reminders for prayer 5 times a day, nor are allowances made by employers for fasting. Some Muslims question the need to pay the tithe since the Canadian government takes care of the poor and the widows through tax money. Islamic prohibition of usury raises the fear that paying interest on purchases is disobeying God. Islamic dietary restrictions against consumption of improperly slaughtered meat, of pork and pork byproducts and of liquor cause concern since they impede social integration, perceived by Canadians as necessary for professional promotion.

Men and Women in Islam

The area of greatest stress appears to be in male-female relations, since Islam teaches that there should be a segregation of the sexes and that Muslim women cannot marry non-Muslims. Islamic laws respecting personal status (marriage, divorce, inheritance) are not in complete harmony with Canadian laws, a circumstance which leads to numerous problems.

The Islamic organizations are attempting to deal with these problems. The CMCC has sought support from other Canadian organizations for the implementation of certain Islamic laws in the Canadian settings. Efforts are also made to establish good relations with other religious organizations through Christian-Muslim and Christian-Muslim-Jewish dialogue. Islam West Associates aims at promoting mutual understanding between Muslims in Canada and all other Canadians. Efforts also focus on sensitizing Canadian society to the prejudicial content of educational material in textbooks and SUNDAY SCHOOL texts.

There have been efforts recently to acquaint Canadian society with the Islamic contribution to culture, science and art. Travelling exhibits as well as videotape presentations have been prepared and a speakers' bureau has been organized. While welcoming the opportunities that Canadian human rights provide for Muslims, as well as the support of multiculturalism, Muslim leaders continue to voice concern over Canadian foreign policy in the Middle East and against prevailing social discrimination and underemployment of Muslims.

Yanal
03-08-2007, 01:37 AM
i didn't copy off u i made that article

Yanal
03-08-2007, 01:37 AM
and that is what i have learned so far in the news

Muslim Woman
03-08-2007, 11:12 AM
i didn't copy off u i made that article

Salaam/peace;

woooow, little bro ,congrates :thumbs_up

u have so much patinece , Masha Allah ,

Insha Allah i /we will read it

Yanal
03-09-2007, 12:30 AM
ok shukriah i will try to write and learn more info so i can give the information to you my big sister ok bye for now wa salaam love Yanal

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.