/* */

PDA

View Full Version : a paper about the iraq war and bush

sweetchick
07-22-2005, 07:23 PM
This is also a paper that i got to write in school please read it
its very strong issue thank u

My name is Marwa Al-mtowaq and I am about to embark on a journey. Where I
am headed or how I get there I do not know, but I will be successful. Everyday when I wake up in the morning I realize I live in America, a country with its own mind. A country with its own spirit its own life and beauty. I see people do things I would never imagine myself doing. I hear people say things I would never say.
Since the war George W. Bush declared on Iraq (the war to free my people the war to make my country safe again), has made me think that I could one day wake up not knowing if I might lose a friend or a relative. I was born in Iraq in the city Najaf; my country was beautiful if it hadn’t been for Saddam Hussein to ruin it with his statues and posters of himself and George W. Bush with his bombs. In 1990 the Gulf War with George Bush made my parents decide to escape. They left Iraq knowing they might never have the chance in their lifetime to go back again. My three brothers Noor, Yassir, Hussein and myself started to wonder what was happening because we were too young to understand and barely remember even now.
We ended up in Saudia Arabia and apparently we were not the only destitute people; we were just five refugees among the thousands of other displaced people. “Where’s my grandma, my aunts and uncles?” I asked “Where are they? Will I ever get to see them again?” Those were the questions that ran through our minds as young children missing our hugs and kisses from family members. For the next two years we lived in tents, ate in tents, and slept tents. Tents that blew away when the wind came, that leaked when it rained, tents that we used for clothes when ours got too old, too dirty and too small. Tents that you couldn’t get privacy in and tents that didn’t protect you from tarantulas or insects which often left you too scared or irritated to sleep.
We were sent to America the land of the free. We were not the only refugees there we were with groups. Our group was the first group of gulf refugees who landed in America, Not knowing anything we were helped out by some Muslim-American friends.
Ever since 9/11 America in general looks at all Muslims around the world as bad people, like we’re going to do the crimes that were done. I know I am not a bad person and neither are those being killed in the Iraq war today. Both the Americans and Iraqi’s are standing up for their rights for a better country. They are fighting hard but they don’t realize they are fighting each other rather then the terrorists. The Americans are fighting to give freedom to Iraq (yet that’s not happening) and the Iraqis are fighting for their freedom. Everyday someone dies, everyday someone gets hurt, everyday there’s not enough equipment to let another life live. Everyday someone loses their brother, sister, mother, or father. Everyday Iraq is like this. Yet I can’t say Iraqis are perfect because they’re out in the streets when they should be inside protecting themselves. It’s true that I care about America, but I love my homeland.
I could write forever but there is so much to say which I can’t explain. These fifteen years passed so quickly with questions I might never know how to answer. My goal is to complete undergraduate school and then get into medical school. I want to become a doctor who can help the helpless. Maybe I will be the one to cure aids or have a chance to go back to my country and help all those children that never got to live the life I lived, or those children who never got to see the world from a different point of view. I want to help people no matter who they are and no matter how much they judge what I look like. I feel drive to show those who simply see me as “that Muslim girl” that I am a person who is concerned about the world and will work hard to help those in need.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bittersteel
07-22-2005, 07:28 PM
I fell sorry for your losses.However I encourage you to go ahead with life.Become a doctor and never stray from the path of Islam.

YamahaR1
07-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Marwa,
Let me be the first to say that my heart truly goes to you and any who have been displaced by war….war waged at the hands of America or any other country for that matter. I know my apologies are meaningless in that I did not personally cause the hardships that your family or others in war torn nations have faced. But, my thoughts and prayers are with you and people like you none the same.

And, you are correct. There are many Americans who do not trust muslims. Acts of terrorist violence to date against Americans and other people of the world have primarily been done by those who claim to be muslims. They have hijacked your religion and have cast a negative view from those who don't understand more about Islam. After all, I'm sure you have read here how some here in these forums blame every negative happening anywhere in the muslim world on westerners/America, etc. They too, have their own jaded views.

I am an American and have lived in the U.S. all of my life. I harbor no ill will towards any group of people. I don't hate you (nor anyone else) because they are muslim, hispanic, black, chinese, or anything else. I have visited other nations and I know how blessed we are in America. My roughest days in childhood are nothing compared to what I see elsewhere.

While I don't harbor hate or distrust for all muslims, I have to admit that if I get on an airplane, I do pause in thought if I see someone getting on that looks like they may be a male from the middle east. Who wouldn't? After all, it wasn't caucasian elderly women who took control of those aircraft on 9/11 and attacked our country. Many here call it racial profiling. I call it applying life's lessons and using common sense. That doesn't mean I hate these people….it just means I take extra precaution because I don't know where their alliances lay and what their intentions are. For many years after previous wars, people also viewed Germans, Japanese, etc. negatively for the same reason. Can you imagine being Japanese and living in America after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor? That was an awful time for Japanese Americans back then. Today, you see no traces of that. In time, the distrust of muslims will get better. For now, there are still lots of open wounds and with each terrorist attack where the attacker claims they are part of Al Qaeda, etc., it keeps those wounds open. And, if the muslim community openly speaks out against these terrorist attacks, it will help change public sentiment.

I truly admire you. You have been there. You have seen the effects of war in your home land by birth, Iraq. You have seen the effects of terrorist attacks on American soil, your new home land. You know more than anyone else how the taking of innocent life is never acceptable. Yet, even through the years of hardship…living in tents….being separated from your extended family….you don't seem like a bitter person. Through all of that, you have come out stronger. You choose to embrace love and hope and you want to help make things better in the world, not worse. I do not know you personally, but I can tell you that from your words, I don't see you as simply just "that muslim girl." I see you as a beautiful person who has had an extraordinarily hard life yet have chosen to do something positive with those experiences--do you know how truly rare you are? Do you realize what strength you have for choosing to use those experiences positively? No doubt, it is your faith in Allah that has sustained you and the love from your family. It is people like you who will make a difference in this world.

I do hope you go on to become a doctor. There is no doubt in my mind you will be a compassionate professional for your patients. Openly showing that you are muslim and doing good things for mankind is the right thing to do to eradicate the misunderstanding that some have of your religion. You have a lot to be proud of. And, there is no doubt in my mind that you will do great things in the future. May God bless you and your family.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.