/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Medicine degree is it worth it?

AnonymousPoster
03-04-2007, 06:04 PM
:sl: I was thinking of studying medicine soo after i finish the current degree i am doing, i added everything up that would mean i would finish the medicine degree when i am twentysix. The only problem is that it would also mean that i would have to wait til i am twentysix to get married. I wouldnt get married while I am studying so that idea is out of the window. Also where I am from at the age of twentysix you are a little bit old and its harder for a woman at that age to marry.:-\ Confused.:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
03-04-2007, 06:15 PM
marriage is half your deen

hope that helps inshaAllah

:salamext:

AnonymousPoster
03-04-2007, 06:25 PM
:sl: Brother I heard that many times does that mean that when you are not married you are not complete? Does it mean that Allah swt will ask you on the day why you didnt marry when you could have? Sorry for all those questions

AnonymousPoster
03-04-2007, 06:34 PM
lol.
You can marry at any age. You can be widowed at any age. You can divorced at any age. There is no time table so long as you are alive. My two cents. You should pursue your dreams!
You should help fellow muslims by being educated. You should kill stero-types they have of Muslims when it comes to poor education! Early Muslims wouldn't have gotten so far if all their dreams concentrated on mundane affairs.
I think only you in your heart can really answer this Q.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AnonymousPoster
03-04-2007, 06:47 PM
:sl: thanx anon! i dont know thats the thing a part of me wants to marry be a good wife and mother and another part wants to become a doctor and really concentrate on my studies:w:

AnonymousPoster
03-04-2007, 08:08 PM
lol.
I thought you were a woman. My God. Trust me you'll find your soul mate when Allah wills it. I might have different definitions of what it means to be married. I actually thought you wanted to have children and didn't want long periods of pregnancy to interfere with your studies. I don't see why you can't do both be married and in med school? Life is a challenge, many do it the hard way. I have known people to marry in their forties and some married as young as 14. I hope that fear of aging isn't what is putting constraints on your decision. You might even find your wants becoming more sophisitcated, and marrying from your field someone with whom you are more compatible, rather than someone you are bound to have nothing in common with further down the line. Make istkhira prayer and follow your heart! No ONE can know you better than you!
I wish you well from my heart.

AnonymousPoster
03-04-2007, 08:11 PM
:sl:

what a coincidence, I'm faced with similar problems, but not just marriage, its money as well. The longer you study, the more you have to pay up after your course.

:w:

Maarya
03-04-2007, 08:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester
lol.
I thought you were a woman. .
she is a woman - she said she wants to be a good mother and wife

AnonymousPoster
03-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Oh my humble apologies then.
My only advise coming from the heart is, that life is full of challenges. Taking the easy road is ok. But taking the road less travelled is much more rewarding.
P.S I don't know how many have been to medical school and were independently wealthy? people who go do so because they believe it is a noble profession. And because they love to help people and they don't want to waste perfectly good talents that God has given them.

The choice is yours. It is up to you. People can give advise but no one knows you, your life, your wants, your needs, your dreams, your aspiration, and most importantly your intent and your heart better than you!

best of luck on your endeavors inshallah

Malaikah
03-05-2007, 07:35 AM

I know a few women doing graduate entry med... which means they will be pretty old when they finish...

It depends on how much you want it I guess? I personally would never want to spend that much time getting a degree.:uuh:

But it is up to you I guess. :)

AHMED_GUREY
03-05-2007, 07:46 AM
26 is very young sister don't worry

being an Educated woman is very appealing to brothers who are in that same age category and even to teens like me

study hard Insha-allah and just put your trust in Allah swt

Asyur an-Nagi
03-05-2007, 10:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED_GUREY
26 is very young sister don't worry

being an Educated woman is very appealing to brothers who are in that same age category and even to teens like me

study hard Insha-allah and just put your trust in Allah swt
i agree, ahmed:)

Medina83
03-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Hey sister,
I really admire your intelligence getting into a Medicine course. :-)
And guys do also.

But a quick question for you
If you qualify when you are 26 and then get married, do you plan to practice medicine?

Once you become a full time Mum won't you have to stay at home?

I'm just saying this because by the time you get to 26 you might feel you have to get married before you get older but then be frustrated that you won't get to practice the career you worked so hard for...

Just something to consider....

Muhammad
03-05-2007, 04:24 PM

There are also a number of other considerations about going into Medicine, especially if you are a sister. Firstly, you need to be prepared and have researched the Islamic stance on dealing with the opposite gender. As a doctor, you will encounter both male and female patients and this may involve examining a person of the opposite gender and being alone with them in a room. You might also face difficulties with hijab - especially if you wish to wear the niqab.

Also, medicine is not over after 5 years. There is a lot of training and specialization that comes after the degree, so you might actually be older than 26 when you get married Insha'Allaah.

These are also important questions:
If you qualify when you are 26 and then get married, do you plan to practice medicine?

Once you become a full time Mum won't you have to stay at home?
If you get married and have children, then will you have the time and commitment to fulfil your duties, such as bringing up good Muslims and being a good role model for them?

Going into Medicine is a choice that must be made whole-heartedly and requires a lot of commitment. You must be sure what you want to do and research this choice well.

Make Istikhara and seek the guidance of people who are close to you.

chris4336
03-05-2007, 09:34 PM
There is nothing in Islam that says a women must stay at home - it is completely up to you and your future husband. If you are a physician, you will be earning a good salary, which will be more than enough to pay for high qualilty day care, a nanny, or someone to help you clean the house or cook, if you choose. And inshallah you will have a decent husband who will help you with these things as well. Plus the kids are not babies for long - before long they will be in school and you will have more time for work.

I'm a medical student, and I have spoken with a lot of female physicians about their experience in medicine. It is not easy but its completely possible if you have a supportive family. One has told me that if you are doing what you love and are passionate about, it will make you a better wife and mother in the long run. An intelligent women is the best kind of teacher for her children.

Medicine is a great profession for Muslim women. During the time of the Prophet women treated men on the battelfields. I have, in general, that most doctors now a days try to avoid being alone with a patient of the opposite sex (at least here in the states). So I think Islam makes exceptions for the necessary situations. But what is most appealing to me is the opportunity to help out other women.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

dream walker
03-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I wish i had a muslim doctor around here.........................

AnonymousPoster
03-05-2007, 10:24 PM
My sister is a doctor, her husband is also a doctor. she brings her baby to my mom and dad to baby sit when she is working. and the baby gets lots of love from everyone including her parents. I say only you can make that choice. It is up to you.

I find that those who appreciate God most are his scientest servants, as is mentioned in the Quran.

Kill every stereo type the west has of Muslim women. and help your people who end up going to a male doctor or a non-Muslim doctor! Be a Muslim woman doctor. Be a good wife and be a good mother. YOU CAN DO ALL!

snakelegs
03-05-2007, 11:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester
My sister is a doctor, her husband is also a doctor. she brings her baby to my mom and dad to baby sit when she is working. and the baby gets lots of love from everyone including her parents. I say only you can make that choice. It is up to you.

I find that those who appreciate God most are his scientest servants, as is mentioned in the Quran.

Kill every stereo type the west has of Muslim women. and help your people who end up going to a male doctor or a non-Muslim doctor! Be a Muslim woman doctor. Be a good wife and be a good mother. YOU CAN DO ALL!
i agree. i think that especially muslims need more woman doctors because there are women who will not go to a man unless it's an emergency.
you can do both. if you get your degree, you will have more options. you have your lifetime ahead of you.

dream walker
03-06-2007, 10:08 PM
i hope to go to college someday....i always wanted to be a large animal vet.
you already know what you want to do i say we would all support you here!
and what about down the road ? imagine working a job you hate, the pay not being worth your time- but w/o an education your stuck there anyways?!
Yes! show the world what you got! live your life! be free

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.