/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Lost Tomb of Jesus

doodlebug
03-05-2007, 01:34 AM
assalam alaykum

At 9pm Discovery Channel is airing The Lost Tomb of Jesus. Apparently quite recently archeologists have found a tomb of someone called "Jesus son of Mary".

Just curious....is there any definitive proclaimation about what muslims believe happened to the physical body of Jesus, pbuh? Do we believe he was brought up body and soul or just soul? I'm very curious to see what this episode shows. http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence...?clik=www_wh_1 I've seen other shows by this same archeologist and I like the way he makes his presentations.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-05-2007, 01:45 AM
:sl:

He was taken up both body and soul and he will return with both body and soul:
Ibn Abi Hatim recorded that Ibn `Abbas said, "Just before Allah raised `Isa to the heavens, `Isa went to his companions, who were twelve inside the house. When he arrived, his hair was dripping water and he said, `There are those among you who will disbelieve in me twelve times after he had believed in me.' He then asked, `Who volunteers that his image appear as mine, and be killed in my place. He will be with me (in Paradise)' One of the youngest ones among them volunteered and `Isa asked him to sit down. `Isa again asked for a volunteer, and the young man kept volunteering and `Isa asking him to sit down. Then the young man volunteered again and `Isa said, `You will be that man,' and the resemblance of `Isa was cast over that man while `Isa ascended to heaven from a hole in the house. When the Jews came looking for `Isa, they found that young man and crucified him. Some of `Isa's followers disbelieved in him twelve times after they had believed in him. They then divided into three groups. One group, Al-Ya`qubiyyah (Jacobites), said, `Allah remained with us as long as He willed and then ascended to heaven.' Another group, An-Nasturiyyah (Nestorians), said, `The son of Allah was with us as long as he willed and Allah took him to heaven.' Another group, Muslims, said, `The servant and Messenger of Allah remained with us as long as Allah willed, and Allah then took him to Him.' The two disbelieving groups cooperated against the Muslim group and they killed them. Ever since that happened, Islam was then veiled until Allah sent Muhammad .'' This statement has an authentic chain of narration leading to Ibn `Abbas, and An-Nasa'i narrated it through Abu Kurayb who reported it from Abu Mu`awiyah. Many among the Salaf stated that `Isa asked if someone would volunteer for his appearance to be cast over him, and that he will be killed instead of `Isa, for which he would be his companion in Paradise.
http://tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=4&tid=12730

doodlebug
03-05-2007, 04:08 AM
hmmmm...I've heard other theories. I heard that he was indeed crucified but that he did not die on the cross but that Allah saved him while on the cross. This was from a lecture by Yusuf Estes.

ABWAN
03-05-2007, 04:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
hmmmm...I've heard other theories. I heard that he was indeed crucified but that he did not die on the cross but that Allah saved him while on the cross. This was from a lecture by Yusuf Estes.
hmm.. I for one, know for sure that Shaikh Yusuf Estes is a Sunni muslim. So I doubt he would have said that.

Regarding your original question, I think there are 2 different views(although I could be wrong as I only remember vaguely). One view (the most popular one) was that Jesus(as) was raised both physically and spiritually. The other view is that Jesus(as) was raised only spiritually. I dont have any proof at hand and I could be wrong here...If so, please excuse me.

In any case, the person who was crucified was not Jesus(as). This is the view in Islam and in some Gnostic belief.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
03-05-2007, 05:04 AM
to be raised spiritually means that Jesus PBUH has died which he didn't!...
But I am no scholar so I don't know... He is with G-D until such a time when he comes back insha'Allah!

This whole Jesus' tomb thing was done before 20yrs ago... what bugs me the most is these people desecrating the graves of the dead in ancient land...... With so-called DNA... who gave them the rights to do so? That is a rhetorical Q...

by the way... the bodies of Messengers and martyrs are "moharam 3la Al'Ard" in other words their bodies never decompose...

ABWAN
03-05-2007, 07:01 AM
I think it was pretty interesting...But what was even interesting (at least to me) was the show on History channel, which showed the Dark ages in Europe.

When people (mostly christians) used to say Islam was spread by sword, I kinda assumed such thing never happened in christianity...but boy, I was totally wrong. The show showed to what extreme christians went, especially the bloody verdict. Its hypocritical to claim that Islam was spread by sword, while their rulers gave no option but death or christianity to thousands of european pagans they conquered!

S_87
03-05-2007, 12:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug

from the Quran

And because of their saying (in boast), "We killed Messiah Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), the Messenger of Allah," - but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but the resemblance of Iesa (Jesus) was put over another man (and they killed that man), and those who differ therein are full of doubts. They have no (certain) knowledge, they follow nothing but conjecture. For surely; they killed him not (i.e. Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary) ):

But Allah raised him (Iesa (Jesus)) up (with his body and soul) unto Himself (and he is in the heavens). And Allah is Ever AllPowerful, AllWise.

And there is none of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), but must believe in him (Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), as only a Messenger of Allah and a human being), before his (Iesa (Jesus) or a Jews or a Christians) death (at the time of the appearance of the angel of death). And on the Day of Resurrection, he (Iesa (Jesus)) will be a witness against them

4:157-159

shanu
03-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Assalamu alaikum
i have a big question that had been in my mind for a real long time. Was the return of Jesus pbuh said in the Quran or the Hadith. Or both? Or just the hadith alone?

Keltoi
03-05-2007, 01:14 PM
There is a growing market for calling into question every aspect of Jesus Christ. James Cameron is just jumping on the bandwagon, attempting to cash in on The Da Vinci Code popularity.

Talha777
03-05-2007, 01:30 PM
It's just another fraud. There have been many people claiming to know where the grave of Jesus (alaihi salam) is. One of them was Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (the fake prophet) who claimed the grave is in Sri Nagar, Kashmir, India. But the doubt about Jesus (alaihi salam) has been cleared by Allah Himself in the Holy Quran:

إِذْ قَالَ اللّهُ يَا عِيسَى إِنِّي مُتَوَفِّيكَ وَرَافِعُكَ إِلَيَّ

Behold! Allah said: "O Jesus! I will take thee and raise thee to Myself... (3:55)

Many people think that the prophecy of Jesus's (alaihi salam) second coming is nowhere to be found in the Holy Quran. I would direct them to the following verse:

وَإِنَّهُ لَعِلْمٌ لِّلسَّاعَةِ فَلَا تَمْتَرُنَّ بِهَا وَاتَّبِعُونِ هَذَا صِرَاطٌ مُّسْتَقِيمٌ

And (Jesus) shall be a Sign (for the coming of) the Hour (of Judgment): therefore have no doubt about the (Hour), but follow ye Me: this is a Straight Way (43:61)

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-05-2007, 02:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shanu
Assalamu alaikum
i have a big question that had been in my mind for a real long time. Was the return of Jesus pbuh said in the Quran or the Hadith. Or both? Or just the hadith alone?
:w:

It is mentioned in the Qur'an and the Ahadith Mutawatir, meaning that the amount of people who narrated that Isa a.s. will descend have been so many that it is impossible for this to be a fabricated claim. See:
http://www.islamicboard.com/130010-post6.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/130011-post7.html

That whole thread is extremely beneficial :)

doodlebug
03-05-2007, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ABWAN
hmm.. I for one, know for sure that Shaikh Yusuf Estes is a Sunni muslim. So I doubt he would have said that.
Here's the link to the lecture: http://www.kalamullah.com/yusuf-estes.html and it was "Reply to Christians 2" where he said this.

doodlebug
03-05-2007, 05:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

from the Quran

And because of their saying (in boast), "We killed Messiah Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), the Messenger of Allah," - but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but the resemblance of Iesa (Jesus) was put over another man (and they killed that man), and those who differ therein are full of doubts. They have no (certain) knowledge, they follow nothing but conjecture. For surely; they killed him not (i.e. Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary) ):

But Allah raised him (Iesa (Jesus)) up (with his body and soul) unto Himself (and he is in the heavens). And Allah is Ever AllPowerful, AllWise.

And there is none of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), but must believe in him (Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), as only a Messenger of Allah and a human being), before his (Iesa (Jesus) or a Jews or a Christians) death (at the time of the appearance of the angel of death). And on the Day of Resurrection, he (Iesa (Jesus)) will be a witness against them

4:157-159
Thank you. WOW. So if this turned out to be true...which is unlikely obviously, it would rock many worlds, not just the Christian world.

I have to wonder why they only had Christians on the discussion forum after the show.

NobleMuslimUK
03-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Hollywood will exploit and play around with any idea to make money. They have been brainwashing generations and toying around with the idea of santa claus for decades. Theres dozens of santa movies just in time for christmas. Now we have dillusional children and adults that believe in santa claus, toothfairy etc...

Ninth_Scribe
03-05-2007, 11:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
There is a growing market for calling into question every aspect of Jesus Christ. James Cameron is just jumping on the bandwagon, attempting to cash in on The Da Vinci Code popularity.
True, but it was such a pleasant fiction and it made for such a nice break from religion, which I have not found to be very pleasing.

Ninth Scribe

Ninth_Scribe
03-06-2007, 12:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
True, but it was such a pleasant fiction - and it gave me a nice break from religion, which I have not found to be very pleasing.

Ninth Scribe

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.