/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Cash Plea To Save Earth

England
03-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Cash Plea To Save Earth
Updated: 13:16, Tuesday March 06, 2007

NASA officials say they need $1bn to identify every asteroid which poses a threat to Earth.

The American space agency says it has the skills at its disposal, but not the cash.

In a report to be released later this week, officials say the cost to find at least 90% of the 20,000 potentially hazardous asteroids and comets by 2020 would be about $1bn.

Congress asked NASA in 2005 to come up with a plan to track most killer asteroids and propose how to deflect the potentially catastrophic ones.

"We know what to do, we just don't have the money," said Simon Worden, director of NASA's Ames Research Centre.

The money is needed to track asteroids which are bigger than 140m in diameter - slightly smaller than the Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Even if they do not strike earth, if they explode nearby they have the potential to destroy a small US state.

NASA is already is tracking larger objects, at least 1,005m in diameter, which could wipe out most life on Earth - the suspected fate of the dinosaurs.

However, even this project - which has spotted 769 asteroids and comets, none on a course to hit Earth - is behind schedule.

Earth got a scare in 2004, when initial readings suggested an 885-foot asteroid called 99942 Apophis seemed to have had a chance of hitting Earth in 2029.

However, scientists now say there is a one in 45,000 chance that it could hit the Pacific Ocean in 2036, creating a devastating tsunami.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...254369,00.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
03-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Sorry this took so long to approve, I've been pretty busy lately.

Could you provide the link please?

England
03-07-2007, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Sorry this took so long to approve, I've been pretty busy lately.

Could you provide the link please?
Ah no probs... sorted.

Keltoi
03-07-2007, 09:40 PM
I think there should probably be more funding for NASA. Mapping the dangerous objects roaming around in space seems to be a good outlet for that funding.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-07-2007, 09:43 PM
It would be a better use with the money...

MTAFFI
03-07-2007, 09:54 PM
I must say though getting wiped out by an asteroid would be an alright way to go though, as long as you didnt survive it at all.. Think about it, you would look up see it, I dont know how long it would take to hit, but when it did it would be a loud boom and then utter devastation. If the human race did survive imagine the peace it would bring amongst different ethnic and religious groups :? Everything would have to start all over :skeleton: No war, no hate SURVIVAL

Keltoi
03-07-2007, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
I must say though getting wiped out by an asteroid would be an alright way to go though, as long as you didnt survive it at all.. Think about it, you would look up see it, I dont know how long it would take to hit, but when it did it would be a loud boom and then utter devastation. If the human race did survive imagine the peace it would bring amongst different ethnic and religious groups :? Everything would have to start all over :skeleton: No war, no hate SURVIVAL
Don't you think the fight for survival could possibly create even more animosity between groups? Perhaps not.

wilberhum
03-07-2007, 10:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Don't you think the fight for survival could possibly create even more animosity between groups? Perhaps not.
We have waged wars since there were two tribes. That would not change. Killing and robbing would be the neo-norm.

FBI
03-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Bruce Willis will save Us!

wilberhum
03-07-2007, 10:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FBI
Now that's funney. Thanks for the smile.

NobleMuslimUK
03-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Bruce Willis already died trying to save the world from an asteroid, hes just dying hard now.

On a serious note, I would say its a waste of money idea, it wouldnt be the first by the US. If an asteroid was to destroy the whole earth then Allah SWT would have informed us of that fact. Although an asteroid still might hit and destroy a large portion of a certain country. Lets wait till the fireballs start falling at least, before anymore funding is given to NASA.

Keltoi
03-08-2007, 02:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
Bruce Willis already died trying to save the world from an asteroid, hes just dying hard now.

On a serious note, I would say its a waste of money idea, it wouldnt be the first by the US. If an asteroid was to destroy the whole earth then Allah SWT would have informed us of that fact. Although an asteroid still might hit and destroy a large portion of a certain country. Lets wait till the fireballs start falling at least, before anymore funding is given to NASA.
If the U.S. government can spend 15 million on programs intended to study the effects of cow gas in the atmosphere, surely we can spare a few million to study what is actually moving around out there in space.

north_malaysian
03-08-2007, 02:42 AM
:omg:

MTAFFI
03-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Maybe, I do think that if there was complete global destruction though that there would be at least a brief period of banning together, of course many people consider me to be an optimist

Cognescenti
03-08-2007, 03:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK

Allah apparently neglected to tell the faithful Muslims of Aceh that a Tsunami was coming.

I have never understood this fatalism idea. In order to do something about an asteroid on a collision course, you need to know one or two decades ahead of time. I can imagine that a big iron ball 140 m across travelling at 12-20 thousand miles per hr could ruin one's whole day.

S_87
03-08-2007, 04:04 PM
^^^^^^^^^ you dont get his point :rolleyes:

all in all nasa cant control this, if it is Allah's will then nothing can prevent it.

Keltoi
03-08-2007, 04:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
^^^^^^^^^ you dont get his point :rolleyes:

all in all nasa cant control this, if it is Allah's will then nothing can prevent it.
If a tornado is bearing down on you, do you stand there and await death because it is "God's will", or do you seek shelter?

Pygoscelis
03-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Do they have the technology to destroy or change the course of these asteroids? If not, charting them seems rather a pointless waste of a lot of money. All it'd get us is some forewarning of an impending doom we couldn't stop.

I'd rather be suprised personally, than live with that on my mind.

Now if they can actually stop these things, thats another matter.

But I'm not sure I'd even want to directly fund that technology.

Earth has been around for a long time and not too often have we been destroyed or even severely effected by asteroids. The last ice age was the last earth changing one, no?

S_87
03-08-2007, 05:26 PM
If a tornado is bearing down on you, do you stand there and await death because it is "God's will", or do you seek shelter?
well this is all chance. how can they know exactly which point an asteroid will hit etc?

FBI
03-08-2007, 05:29 PM
:sl:

Well we all should get saving our nickels and dimes or this might happen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB3G0rvCIJc

Keltoi
03-08-2007, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Do they have the technology to destroy or change the course of these asteroids? If not, charting them seems rather a pointless waste of a lot of money. All it'd get us is some forewarning of an impending doom we couldn't stop.

I'd rather be suprised personally, than live with that on my mind.

Now if they can actually stop these things, thats another matter.

But I'm not sure I'd even want to directly fund that technology.

Earth has been around for a long time and not too often have we been destroyed or even severely effected by asteroids. The last ice age was the last earth changing one, no?
Charting the path of these asteroids will go further to finding a way to change that path than doing nothing at all.

Pygoscelis
03-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Charting the path of these asteroids will go further to finding a way to change that path than doing nothing at all.
No it won't.

Unless we can move either the asteroid or the earth charting their path accomplishes nothing.

And I'm not convinced its a threat worth worrying about anyway (especially if we can do nothing about it).

FBI
03-08-2007, 10:35 PM
No it won't.

Unless we can move either the asteroid or the earth charting their path accomplishes nothing.

And I'm not convinced its a threat worth worrying about anyway (especially if we can do nothing about it).
this should explain your questions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U75Xi9BjJnM :)

Keltoi
03-09-2007, 12:30 AM
this should explain your questions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U75Xi9BjJnM :)
Interesting video

Pygoscelis
03-09-2007, 03:27 AM
Sensationalism though.

The earth has lasted quite a while without being whiped out.

And if we can't stop it from being whiped out what use is it to know its coming?

This money is better spent on something more useful, like usable education or health care.

Keltoi
03-09-2007, 03:32 AM
Sensationalism though.

The earth has lasted quite a while without being whiped out.

And if we can't stop it from being whiped out what use is it to know its coming?

This money is better spent on something more useful, like usable education or health care.
What about the theories around the extinction of the dinosaurs? Many scientists believe a direct hit from an asteroid led to that mass extinction. In any event, in light of the numerous junk programs the U.S. government is spending money on at the moment, I don't think a few extra million for research of this kind would hurt the status quo.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.