/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Marriage between a Muslim and a non-Muslim

Grace Seeker
03-06-2007, 09:07 PM
OK. I already understand that Muslim women are not to marry non-Muslim men (a Roman Catholic). But leave that aside for the moment, please. Let us say that the woman has already made this decision. She is an adult and lives in a county where she is able to decide these things for herself. The law of the country recognizes marriage as a secular event, even though people do so with religious ceremony.

Obviously, neither of the couple is really practicing their faith right now, except to celebrate some of the festitivies of events like Ramadan and Christmas. But they have found a priest who is willing to perform the ceremony. I suppose that if neither later gets serious about their faith, that they have as much hope for happiness as any non-religious couple. But my concern is what if either of them should have a quickening of their faith later on after they have been married a few years, say when children enter the picture. What are some of the issues that they face down the road?

If the marriage is already a done deal, and neither is open to converting, what advice can you give them?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
03-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Oh, boy.:omg:

The Catholics marriage is invalid from a Catholic perspective too isn't it?

Anyway, I don't what you can possible say to someone who doesn't care about religion.

This is what the (present and) future might hold if the Muslim suddenly becomes more serious about Islam:

1. Recognition of the fact that she has been living her entire married life as a ADULTERESS. Yes, invalid marriages are considered adultery.

2. Divorce! She will have no option but to divorce the man, unless she wants to remain an adulteress.

3. Let's pray she gets custody of the kids and they end up sticking with Islam.

4. Is her family religious? They might very well disown her for her act.

Doesn't look so great does it...

May God guide them!

Grace Seeker
03-07-2007, 07:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Oh, boy.:omg:

The Catholic's marriage is invalid from a Catholic perspective too isn't it?
I don't know. Protestants would recognize it, and Catholics recognize but frown on Catholics marrying Protestants. They only approve if married in a Catholic church and the spouse agrees to raise any kids as Catholics.

1. Recognition of the fact that she has been living her entire married life as a ADULTERESS. Yes, invalid marriages are considered adultery.
Would the marriage still be seen as invalid if later her husband were to revert to Islam? Remember it is being performed by a Catholic priest.

3. Let's pray she gets custody of the kids and they end up sticking with Islam.
You can pray for that. Not sure I can agree to. How about I pray that she converts and becomes a Christian, even if that means a Catholic? :)

4. Is her family religious? They might very well disown her for her act.
No. They are nominal Muslims. Her mom seems to really like the young man. I don't know where Dad is at on this, but his personal lifestyle is one of wine, women, and song.

May God guide them!
Indeed!!

Umar001
03-07-2007, 07:11 PM
I'd tell the lady to leave the Guy. But that's just me I guess, if the marriage is not valid then he is not mahram so he aint supposed to be alone with her and touch her and so on.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Grace Seeker
03-07-2007, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
I'd tell the lady to leave the Guy. But that's just me I guess, if the marriage is not valid then he is not mahram so he aint supposed to be alone with her and touch her and so on.

Would you tell her this even if they were already married?

And what does "mahram" mean?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-07-2007, 09:37 PM
People you cant marry. Which includes your father, brother, mother, or other women. In this case, hes a non Muslim and she is Muslim.

Talha777
03-07-2007, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
OK. I already understand that Muslim women are not to marry non-Muslim men (a Roman Catholic). But leave that aside for the moment, please. Let us say that the woman has already made this decision. She is an adult and lives in a county where she is able to decide these things for herself. The law of the country recognizes marriage as a secular event, even though people do so with religious ceremony.

Obviously, neither of the couple is really practicing their faith right now, except to celebrate some of the festitivies of events like Ramadan and Christmas. But they have found a priest who is willing to perform the ceremony. I suppose that if neither later gets serious about their faith, that they have as much hope for happiness as any non-religious couple. But my concern is what if either of them should have a quickening of their faith later on after they have been married a few years, say when children enter the picture. What are some of the issues that they face down the road?

If the marriage is already a done deal, and neither is open to converting, what advice can you give them?
We do not recognize "marriage" between a Muslim woman and a kafir man. Children born from such a "marriage" are illegitimate.

thasin123
03-07-2007, 10:06 PM
salam brothers and sisters,
i just wanted to ask what does love marrige mean?
and is it against the islamic law?
becuse i've got some sisers telling me it is against the law and some sisters saying it's ok to have a love marrige
im really mixed up!!! :D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-08-2007, 02:44 AM
Well what kind of love ru referring too exactly? You can have love marriage that is also arranged :D I mean if you like someone, you can marry them. But obviously you have to have a mahram around and stuff. And no relations before marriage either. Err, i hope im not confusin you lol. I think we do have other threads on this!

Grace Seeker
03-08-2007, 05:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777

We do not recognize "marriage" between a Muslim woman and a kafir man. Children born from such a "marriage" are illegitimate.
Even in a country where such a marriage is legal and recognized by the state?

And I am still waiting to find out what "mahram" means, please?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-08-2007, 05:23 AM
Bro i told u...

People you cant marry. Which includes your father, brother, mother, or other women. In this case, hes a non Muslim and she is Muslim.

syilla
03-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Even in a country where such a marriage is legal and recognized by the state?

And I am still waiting to find out what "mahram" means, please?
yup...in islam is still invalid.

for mahram...pls check in this thread. :)

http://www.islamicboard.com/marriage...ties-wali.html

Grace Seeker
03-08-2007, 07:03 AM
What if the Catholic reverts after the marriage has already taken place? Does that change things, or would the marriage still be considered invalid since it did not take place the right way to begin with?

syilla
03-08-2007, 07:13 AM
check this thread out

http://www.islamicboard.com/marriage...lim-youth.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/marriage...wish-girl.html

Umar001
03-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Would you tell her this even if they were already married?

And what does "mahram" mean?
From what I know technically if the marriage is invalid, everytime she touches him, talks to him in a extra sweet way, or they are intimate it is as though she is doing that with a stranger who is not her husband. So that's why I would still say that to her, but I'd tell her to read on it.

If he reverts then they can go to the masjid and get married, I dont know if the previous marriage is invalid, but, wha would be stopping them from just going to the masjid doing it all halal and kablam, I mean it's easy no long wait, no expensise.

lyesh
03-08-2007, 07:29 AM
What if the Catholic reverts after the marriage has already taken place? Does that change things, or would the marriage still be considered invalid since it did not take place the right way to begin with?
Hello Grace seeker,
If the catholic becomes a muslim even, the marriage is Islamically invalid. If they want it they should re- marry in a full Islamic way with a muslim judge. Before they did it with a priest, so it's 100% not islamic and considered invalid :)

peace

Malaikah
03-08-2007, 07:46 AM
I don't know... but I can tell you that non-Muslims who marry in non-Islamic ways are considered married as long as they are married by their own standards. So if a catholic marries a catholic, they are considered married, we don't consider them as not being married just because they didn't do it the Islamic way.

But for a Muslim women to marry a non-Muslim, the marriage is invalid no matter what.

Also, lets say the husband becomes Muslim, the issue of whether they are considered married or not isn't important, they can easily just ask a shaykh if that day ever comes and get married Islamically in a few minutes if they want to.

HOWEVER, he husband will be sinless (assuming he really did convert for God, not for the wife), but his wife will not be. If she does not sincerely repent for what she has done then she is still considered an adulteress, and it is not permissible for an adulteress to marry anyone other than an adulter (and vice versa)...

So um yeh complicated stuff... but like you said it doesn't seem like it is going to happen... nor does it seem like the family even care.:uuh:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.