/* */

PDA

View Full Version : what can I do for my mom?

lyesh
03-07-2007, 09:30 AM
:sl:

As some of you already know my mom died recently.... :cry: .
I wanted to know... what are the things which I can do for her now, which would benifit her?
Is it allowed for me to recite Quran, fast and give charity in the intention that my mom get's the reward for this? :?
It would be nice if you could give me proof from Quran and Sunnah.
JazakAllah khair!

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
03-07-2007, 09:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lyesh

As some of you already know my mom died recently.... :cry: .
I wanted to know... what are the things which I can do for her now, which would benifit her?
Is it allowed for me to recite Quran, fast and give charity in the intention that my mom get's the reward for this? :?
It would be nice if you could give me proof from Quran and Sunnah.
JazakAllah khair!

:sl: dear sis Lyesh,

May Almighty Allah (SWT) bless you greatly, and may He bless you with something in change of your sorrow and may
Allah (SWT) forgive your mother. Ameen

Continuous benefit to the deceased

Rasoolillah (SAW) said, "After the death of a person his actions stop except for three things that he leaves behind. Continuous charity, knowledge from which benefit is obtained and a righteous son who prays for him." [Muslim]

Rasoolillah (SAW) said, "After he has died, the believer only gets the benefit of the following actions and good deeds: knowledge which he has taught and passed on, a righteous son he leaves behind, a copy of the Quran which he has bequeathed, a mosque he has built, a house he has built for the traveller, a water channel he has dug, or an act of charity which he spent out of his property when he was alive and in good health and which comes to him after his death.' [Ibn Al-Qayyim's Kitabar-Ruh]

There are many things which the living can do to rescue the dead. They include supplication for them, asking forgiveness for them, acts of generosity, hajj, fasting and other sorts of worship. These can be attributed to the dead person with Allah's permission.

A'isha (RA) reported that a man came to Allah's Apostle (SAW) and said: Allah's Messenger, my mother died all of a sudden without making any will. I think if (she could have the opportunity) to speak she would have made a Sadaqa. Would there be any reward for her if I give charity on her behalf ? He (the Holy Prophet) said: Yes. [Muslim]

Rasoolillah (SAW) said, ‘When you pray over a dead person, make sincere supplication for him.' In his supplication he would say, '0 Allah! So-and-so the son of so-and-so is in Your custody and near to You. Protect him from the trial of the Grave and the punishment of the Fire. You are worthy of fidelity and truth, so forgive him and show mercy to. him. You are Forgiving, Merciful.'

Rasoolillah (SAW) finished burying someone who had died, he stood over him and said, 'Ask forgiveness for your brother. Ask for him to be made firm. He is being questioned now.'

Furthermore, it is absolutely necessary that any outstanding debts upon the dead person are paid immediately, even if the person who pays it is a stranger and the money does, not come out of the inheritance. This is indicated in the hadith of Abu Qatada who would pay two dinars on behalf of a particular dead person. When he had paid them, the Prophet (SAW) said to him, 'Now his skin, is cool.’

Many instances exist within the Sunnah where deeds were undertaken for the sake of conveying reward on the deceased by the will of Allah(SWT) such as:

Imaam Bukhari has reported on the authority of Sayyiduna Abdullah ibn Abbaas (RA) that Sayyiduna Sa'ad ibn Ubaadah (RA) was away when his mother passed away. When he returned, he asked Rasulullah, 'Will it be of any benefit if I give charity on her behalf?' Rasulullah (SAW) replied in the affirmative. (Sahih Bukhari Hadith2762)

Hafiz ibn Hajar al-Asqalaani (RA) states in his monumental commentary of Sahih Bukhari entitled, 'Fath al-Bari', 'This Hadith proves the permissibility of charity on behalf of the deceased and that the reward will reach him.' (Fath al-Baari vol.5 pg.477 Hadith2761)

Sayyiduna Abdullah ibn Abbas (RA) reports a man once asked Rasulullah (SAW), 'O Prophet of Allah(SWT)! My father has passed away and he did not perform Hajj, can I perform Hajj on his behalf?' Rasulullah (SAW) enquired of him, 'If your father had any debt, would you have paid it.?' The man replied, 'Yes.' Upon this, Rasulullah (SAW) said, 'In that case, the Deen of Allah(SWT) has more right.' (Sunan Nasai Hadith26331)

A separate incident of a similar nature has been recorded by Imaam Bukhari in his Sahih (Hadith6698). Hafiz ibn Qayyim (RA), the famous student of Hafiz ibn Taymiyah (RA), after quoting the above Ahaadith, states: 'These quotations all concur with the fact that when the living carry out any deed on behalf of the deceased, the reward will reach him (benefit him).' (Kitaab Ruh pg.161)

Sayyiduna al-Lajlaaj (RA), a companion of Rasulullah (SAW), had bequested his son that after he leaves this world, he should recite the beginning and end of Surah al-Baqarah at the head side of his grave. Sayyiduna al-Lajlaaj (RA) then mentioned that he heard this from Rasulullah (SAW). (al-Mu'jamul Kabeer of Imaam Tabrani)

Such has also been recorded to be the practice of Sayyiduna Abdullah ibn Umar (RA). (Sunan al-Kubra of Imaam Bayhaqi vol.4 pg.56). This narration has been classified as Hasan (sound) by Imaam Nawawi and Hafiz ibn Hajar (RA). (al-Azkaar pg.212 Hadith493; al-Futuhaat al-Rabbaaniyya vol.3 pg.194)

Additionally, Imam Qurtubi(rh) states, 'Just as the reward of charitable deeds benefit the deceased, similarly, the recitation of the holy Qur'aan, Du'aa and Isghtifaar also do the same, because all of these are regarded as Sadaqah (charity) in Shari'ah.' (al-Tazkirah pg.71) He, thereafter, mentioned 2 narrations recorded in Sahih Muslim which prove that even Salaat and Dhikr of Allah(SWT) (Tasbeeh, Takbeer and Tahleel) were all classified as Sadaqah by Rasulullah (SAW). To quote: 'Some of our Ulama have based the permissibility of Isaal-e-Sawaab of the recitation of the Qur'aan on the Hadith of Sahih Bukhari (Hadith216, 1361) and Sahih Muslim wherein there is mention of Rasulullah [SAW] placing fresh branches on 2 graves and He [SAW] said, 'Perhaps their punishment will be lightened through it as long as the branches do not dry up.' (The Ulama explain the reason for this to be the Tasbeeh that those fresh branches will recite). If the Tasbeeh of trees can benefit the deceased, then why not the recitation of the Qur'aan by a believer in Allah(SWT)?' (Al-Tazkirah pg.70)

The importance of visiting the graveyards as a reminder
Buraidah (RA) reported: Messenger of Allah (SAW) said, "(In the past) I forbade you from visiting graves, but visit them now.''

In another narration Messenger of Allah (SAW) said, "Whoever wants to visit a graveyard, let him do so, because it reminds us of the Hereafter.''[Muslim].

Visiting the graves of relatives

It is Mustahab (desirable) for the men to visit the grave. It is sunnah to visit the graves of relatives especially the graves of one's parents, even though they be far away. It more excellent to visit the graves on Fridays as mentioned in the hadith:

Muhammad ibn Nu’maan (RA) narrates that Rasulullah (SAW) said, ‘Whosoever visits the grave of both his parents or any one every Friday, he will be forgiven and written (as being a) virtuous person.’(Mishkat)
Hadhrat Aaisha (RA) narrates that Rasulullah (SAW) used to come out in the last portion of the night to Baqi (graveyard of Madina Munawwarah). Upon entering Baqi, Rasulullah (SAW) used to say, “Assalaamu Alaykum Daara Qawmun Mu’mineen (Salaam, Oh group of believers) Wa Ataakum maa Too’adoona ghadan moajjaloon
(That which you have been warned about has come to you) Wa Innaa Inshaa Allaahu bikum lalaahiqoona (and we will, Allah willing, join you). (Mishkat)

Etiquette of visiting the graveyard

Buraidah (RA) reported: The Prophet (SAW) used to teach them (i.e., the Companions) whenever they came out to visit the graveyard to say:

Assalaamu alaykum yaa ahlad diyaar minal mu’mineen wal muslimeen wa innaa inshaa Allaahu bikum lalaahiqoona. Nas-alullaaha lanaa walakumul ‘aafiyah
(Peace be upon you, O you of the believers and Muslims dwelling in these abodes. Behold, if Allah wills, we shall meet you. We beseech of Allah safety for us and for you) [Sunan Ibn Majah]

Assalaamu alaykum yaa ahlal quboor. Yaghfirul llaahu lanaa walakum wa antum salafunaa wa nahnu bil athar
(Peace be upon you. O ye dwellers of these graves! May Allah forgive us all and you! You are our forerunners and we are at your heels.) [Tirmidhi

I hope that helped sis (((hugz))) :)

Umu 'Isa
03-07-2007, 10:54 AM
:salamext: eshi *wub*

What can benefit the deceased after his death? Can he hear what the living say?

Question:
My father passed away about two weeks ago. I wanted to know when me or my family members go to his grave, is he able to hear us and what we are saying to him?
... and if not is their any way we can have him hear what we say?..
Please respond promptly because I really want to now because I think maybe it will help me with the pain i'm dealing with.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The principle is that the dead do not hear the words of the living, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): "… but you cannot hear those who are in graves." [Faatir 35:22] and

"Verily, you cannot make the dead to hear…"
[al-Naml 27:80]

When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) addressed the slain kuffaar (disbelievers) after the Battle of Badr, Allaah caused them to hear his words, although they were at the bottom of the well in which they had been buried. This was a special case, as the scholars, may Allaah have mercy on them, have stated. (See Al-Aayaat al-Bayyinaat fi ‘adam Samaa’ al-Amwaat).

Perhaps the psychological motive for your wishing that you father could hear you is an attempt to do something to re-establish the communication that has been cut, in order to alleviate the pain you are feeling. But you should understand, my sister, that Islam has explained what actions on the part of the living may benefit the dead, and what may reach them in their graves. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "When a person dies, all his deeds come to an end except three: sadaqah jaariyah (ongoing charity, e.g. a waqf or endowment), beneficial knowledge (which he has left behind), or a righteous child who will pray for him." (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, no 1376; he said this is a saheeh hasan hadeeth)

The most important thing that will benefit your father after his death, and that you can do for him now that he is in his grave, is to strive to pray for him and ask for forgiveness and mercy for him, and for Paradise and salvation from the Fire, and other good and beautiful du’aa’s (prayers).

Prayers for forgiveness offered by both sons and daughters of the deceased bring great benefits, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "A man’s status will be raised in Paradise and he will ask, ‘How did I get here?’ He will be told, ‘By your son’s du’aa’s (prayers) for forgiveness for you." (Reported by Ibn Maajah, no 3660; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 1617)

Another thing that may reach the deceased is sadaqah (charity) given on his behalf, because ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) reported that a man said to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): "My mother has passed away, and if she could have spoken, she would have given something in charity. Will she receive a reward if I give something on her behalf?" He said, "Yes." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath, 1388)

Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him and his father) reported that the mother of Sa’d ibn ‘Ubaadah (may Allaah be pleased with him and his father) died when he was away from her. He said: "O Messenger of Allaah, my mother has died and I am away from her. Will it benefit her anything if I give in charity on her behalf?" He said, "Yes." He said, "Then I ask you to be my witness that I am giving my garden al-Mikhraaf (so called because it bore so many dates) in charity on her behalf." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath, 2756)

Abu Hurayrah reported that a man said to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): "My father has died and left money behind. He did not make a wasiyyah (a will); will it expiate for his sins if I give some of it in charity on his behalf?" He said, "Yes." (Reported by al-Nisaa’i)

Sa’d ibn ‘Ubaadah said: "I said: ‘O Messenger of Allaah, my mother has died. Should I give charity on her behalf?’ He said, ‘Yes.’ I asked, ‘What kind of charity is best?’ He said, ‘Providing water.’" (Reported by al-Nisaa’i)

Other deeds that may also benefit the deceased are Hajj and ‘Umrah on their behalf, after the living person has first performed Hajj and ‘Umrah on his or her own behalf.

‘Abdullaah ibn Buraydah reported that his father (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: "While I was sitting with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), a woman came to him and said: ‘I gave my mother a slave-woman in charity, and now my mother has died.’ He said: ‘You have got your reward, and your right of inheritance has brought your gift back to you.’ She said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, she still had one month to fast – can I fast it on her behalf?’ He said, ‘Fast it on her behalf.’ She said, ‘She never went to Hajj – can I perform Hajj on her behalf?’ He said, ‘Perform Hajj on her behalf.’" (Reported by Muslim, may Allaah have mercy on him, in his Saheeh, no. 1149)

This shows that it is also permissible to fast on behalf of the deceased.

Another thing that may benefit the deceased is to fulfil their nadhr (vow), because Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him and his father) reported that a woman came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: "My mother made a vow to perform Hajj but she died before she could do it. Can I perform Hajj on her behalf?" He said, "Yes, perform Hajj on her behalf. Don’t you think that if your mother owed a debt you would pay it off?" She said, "Yes." He said, "Then pay off what is owed to Allaah, for Allaah is more deserving of having vows fulfilled." (al-Bukhaari, al-Fath, 7315)

Another thing that may benefit the deceased is if his relative devotes a share to him of a sacrifice he offers. When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) offered a sacrifice, he said: "In the name of Allaah, O Allaah, on behalf of Muhammad and the family of Muhammad" (reported by Muslim, no. 1967) – and the family of Muhammad included both the living and the dead.

The question of whether women may visit graves has already been addressed (please see question# 127 )

You should also know that keeping yourself busy with praying for your father is more important and better for you, and more beneficial to the deceased, than thinking about whether he can hear your voice. So try to do whatever will be of benefit both to him and you. You and your family should avoid forbidden innovations (bid’ah) such as marking the fortieth day after death, or the passing of one year since the death, or gatherings for reciting al-Faatihah (the first chapter or soorah of the Qur’aan), doing forbidden acts at graves, and so on, deeds which are done by those who are ignorant and are imitated by others.

I ask Allaah to forgive your father and have mercy on him and on all the deceased Muslims, for He is the Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...t%20for%20dead

lyesh
03-07-2007, 11:24 AM
jazakAllah khair sister!! It's very benificial!

So I can recite Quran for her right?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
03-07-2007, 11:53 AM
^InshaAllah sis

To quote: 'Some of our Ulama have based the permissibility of Isaal-e-Sawaab of the recitation of the Qur'aan on the Hadith of Sahih Bukhari (Hadith216, 1361) and Sahih Muslim wherein there is mention of Rasulullah [SAW] placing fresh branches on 2 graves and He [SAW] said, 'Perhaps their punishment will be lightened through it as long as the branches do not dry up.' (The Ulama explain the reason for this to be the Tasbeeh that those fresh branches will recite). If the Tasbeeh of trees can benefit the deceased, then why not the recitation of the Qur'aan by a believer in Allah(SWT)?' (Al-Tazkirah pg.70)

lyesh
03-07-2007, 12:02 PM
okiess! jazakAllah khair! :)

Umm Yoosuf
03-07-2007, 07:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lyesh
jazakAllah khair sister!! It's very benificial!

So I can recite Quran for her right?

I am not sure if you're allowed to do this Ukhti :?

Hiring a reciter to read the Qur.aan upon the soul of the deceased

Question: What is the ruling regarding hiring a reciter to read the Noble Qur.aan upon the soul of the deceased?

Response: This is an innovation and there is no reward in it for the reciter and nor the deceased. This is because the reciter read for (some) worldly gain and wealth only. Every righteous action done for (some) worldly gain does not draw one near to Allaah and there is no reward from Allaah. Based upon this, this action i.e. hiring someone to recite the Noble Qur.aan upon the soul of the deceased is a pointless action and there is nothing in it except wasting the money of the inheritors (of the deceased). So be wary of it for certainly it is an evil innovation.

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
al-Bid'u wal-Muhdathaat wa maa laa Asla lahu - Page 278;
Majmoo' Fataawa wa Rasaa'il fadheelatush-Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Saalih al-'Uthaymeen - No.357
Reading the Qur.aan over the deceased and placing it on their stomach

Question: What is the ruling regarding the reading of the Qur.aan over the deceased and placing the Qur.aan on their stomach? Also, are there specific days for paying condolences such as three days? I anticipate, from your excellency, a response and may Allaah reward you with (all that is) good.

Response: There is no sound basis for reading the Qur.aan over the deceased nor over the grave, this is not legialated, rather it is an innovation. Likewise, placing the Qur.aan on their stomach has no basis and is not legislated. Instead, the people of knowledge have mentioned placing metal or anything heavy on their stomach after death so that it (the stomach) does not swell up. As for paying condolences, then there are no specific days and Allaah is the Expounder of success.

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
al-Bid'u wal-Muhdathaat wa maa laa Asla lahu - Page 370;
Fataawa Islaamiyyah - Volume 2, Page 50

Allah Knows Best.

I think you should do more research on it.

ABDUL HAQ
03-07-2007, 07:25 PM
you can also sponsor an orphan ..aalim or hafez..for her isaale sawaab..:)

contribute towards a mosque,dig a well in india pakistan etc

one thing many people dont realize is to keep good relationships with the deceased parents friends:)

Musalmaan
03-08-2007, 04:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah

I am not sure if you're allowed to do this Ukhti :?

Allah Knows Best.

I think you should do more research on it.

Insha'Allah, for the believers, the words of Allah and His Rasul will remain on top.

lyesh
03-08-2007, 05:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ABDUL HAQ

one thing many people dont realize is to keep good relationships with the deceased parents friends:)
yes, i heard about this. Is there any specific hadith or verses regarding this?

jazakAllah khair!

Um_ahmad
03-08-2007, 06:01 AM
Allah yerham al Jami3> Al fateha

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!