PDA

View Full Version : OMG This is excellent!



England
03-07-2007, 06:55 PM
I've watched BBC News today and I've heard this reported;

Head teachers in Derby have been asked to carry out random checks for unhealthy food in their pupils' lunchboxes.

I cannot find the link on the website itself though. Does anyone have a link to this report? :D
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
03-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by England
I've watched BBC News today and I've heard this reported;

Head teachers in Derby have been asked to carry out random checks for unhealthy food in their pupils' lunchboxes.

I cannot find the link on the website itself though. Does anyone have a link to this report? :D
lol long live the children :D :D :D
Reply

England
03-07-2007, 07:02 PM
No More Fat Kids!! :D
Reply

'Abd al-Baari
03-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by England
No More Fat Kids!! :D
lol, Mashallah its a good idea though
Inshallah it will benefit the children and keep the healthy
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Skillganon
03-07-2007, 07:12 PM
lol
Reply

Helena
03-07-2007, 07:13 PM
pretty impressive.....

children will stay healthy and fit.......:D ....we wont be equal as the americans....
Reply

England
03-07-2007, 07:19 PM
It does sound like an excellent idea. Forcing children to eat healthy rather than killing themselves with burgers, chips, chocolate, fizzy pop etc.

Can anyone find this link?
Reply

Umm Yoosuf
03-07-2007, 07:21 PM
:sl:

Head teachers in Derby have been asked to carry out random checks for unhealthy food in their pupils' lunchboxes.
That might be of some help, but still parents do feed them, unhealthy food at home. I don't think kids being over weight comes down to them not getting healthy food only, half of the time they sit infront of the TV, not excising, kids these days are not active enough.
Reply

Mawaddah
03-07-2007, 07:28 PM
That may be good yes, but then can't they just buy snacks from the shop across the road? and like Al-Mu'minah said, it's what the parents feed them at home mostly.

But still, it's a good step :) I hate seeing fat obese children who even forget how to run properly :mmokay:
Reply

England
03-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Mawaddah
That may be good yes, but then can't they just buy snacks from the shop across the road? and like Al-Mu'minah said, it's what the parents feed them at home mostly.

But still, it's a good step :) I hate seeing fat obese children who even forget who to run properly :mmokay:
I think this only applies to primary schools. I don't think it applies to comprehensive schools. At primary schools children are forbidden to leave the premises at all. Basically what they're trying to do is teach children at a young age and by the time they reach secondary school they should have it under control, being aware of the dangers of being obese.
Reply

Musaafirah
03-07-2007, 07:47 PM
:sl:
Recently in my sisters primary school, they had a food tasting session where all the parents were trying out the new look menu: fruit smoothies etc
Now, they won't even have salt on the counters!
:w:
Reply

England
03-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Musaafir
:sl:
Recently in my sisters primary school, they had a food tasting session where all the parents were trying out the new look menu: fruit smoothies etc
Now, they won't even have salt on the counters!
:w:
Good. It's about time this country did something. Everyone now seems so conscious of their health too. I think the future is healthy. I constantly hear people, adverts and everything else drumming into us that vegetables and fruit prevents cancers, arthritis, and every other disease.


All thanks to Jamie Oliver.
Reply

Muezzin
03-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the headteachers are going to stash away all the KitKats they find and totally pig out on the last day of term?
Reply

England
03-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
Am I the only one who thinks the headteachers are going to stash away all the KitKats they find and totally pig out on the last day of term?
lol leave them to it. The kids are our future.
Reply

The Ruler
03-07-2007, 08:01 PM
:sl:

dang...i wont be able to have my home made chicken burgers anymore...oh well..i guess i'll have the school made pizzas.

:w:
Reply

England
03-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by +*Rooh*+
:sl:

dang...i wont be able to have my home made chicken burgers anymore...oh well..i guess i'll have the school made pizzas.

:w:
Are they healthy pizzas or unhealthy?
Reply

The Ruler
03-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by England
Are they healthy pizzas or unhealthy?
toasts topped with that tomato sauce thingymajig...and cheeeeseeee...yummm *drools*...and another idea...i can get my lunch and put it in my locker...safe from prying eyes :thumbs_up

:w:
Reply

Muezzin
03-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by +*Rooh*+
toasts topped with that tomato sauce thingymajig...and cheeeeseeee...yummm *drools*...and another idea...i can get my lunch and put it in my locker...safe from prying eyes :thumbs_up

:w:
What about prying crowbars?
Reply

The Ruler
03-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
What about prying crowbars?
interesting...but unfortunately they crowbars dont have a life of their own :-\

:w:
Reply

England
03-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by +*Rooh*+
interesting...but unfortunately they crowbars dont have a life of their own :-\

:w:
Do you not share your pizzas? :eek:
Reply

The Ruler
03-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by England
Do you not share your pizzas? :eek:
who does...its pizza dude...not broccoli :-\

:w:
Reply

Akil
03-07-2007, 08:42 PM
I agreed with California when they took soda machines and unhealthy food dispensers from elementary and middle schools, but checking the food parents send to school with their kids seems inconsistent with democracy to me.
Reply

Muezzin
03-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Akil
I agreed with California when they took soda machines and unhealthy food dispensers from elementary and middle schools, but checking the food parents send to school with their kids seems inconsistent with democracy to me.
Shh! This is Britain, it's a constitutional monarchy :p
Reply

Akil
03-07-2007, 09:48 PM
lol sure it is
Reply

Lina
03-07-2007, 09:50 PM
:sl:

The sugarcompanies will always have a firm grip on the market, no matter what.

Also, I was rather suprised; those schoollunches in Britain were just plain disgusting, how can that have been going on for so long?
Reply

Count DeSheep
03-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by +*Rooh*+
toasts topped with that tomato sauce thingymajig...and cheeeeseeee...yummm *drools*...and another idea...i can get my lunch and put it in my locker...safe from prying eyes :thumbs_up

:w:
Eh...The pizza at my school is a more obvious form of heart attack. All you do is pick it up and grease gushes out...It's like squeezing a wet sponge. It's so scary...>.< That's why I don't eat the school's lunch...I go to the library instead, and come on here. XD
Reply

England
03-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Count DeSheep
Eh...The pizza at my school is a more obvious form of heart attack. All you do is pick it up and grease gushes out...It's like squeezing a wet sponge. It's so scary...>.< That's why I don't eat the school's lunch...I go to the library instead, and come on here. XD
Your school's a bit slow then...:rollseyes Soon your school will have to scrap unhealthy foods and move to the healthy foods. My sister's school only serves healthy meals, mostly consisting of vegetables and orange juice.

The quicker all the schools act on this the better.
Reply

snakelegs
03-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Akil
I agreed with California when they took soda machines and unhealthy food dispensers from elementary and middle schools, but checking the food parents send to school with their kids seems inconsistent with democracy to me.
i'm with you on this one. i think it's a bit creepy for teachers to be snooping in kids' lunch boxes. what next - are they going to dictate to the parents what to put in there or threaten to charge them with child neglect?
better to educate the parents - sometimes people don't know that something healthier would be cheaper.
Reply

FBI
03-07-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm all for healthy eating, but some of the old school meals just tasted like dirt, no flavour ect, so the chippy across the road was tempting or the local junk food dealer :D
Reply

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
03-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Poor kids, I bet the fat kids will smuggle their burgers n chocolare bars in somehow. Perhaps thier parents can throw them over the fence at lunch time.
Reply

- Qatada -
03-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by snakelegs
i'm with you on this one. i think it's a bit creepy for teachers to be snooping in kids' lunch boxes. what next - are they going to dictate to the parents what to put in there or threaten to charge them with child neglect?
better to educate the parents - sometimes people don't know that something healthier would be cheaper.

I really don't feel like going offtopic, but some years back - the headteacher walked into our classroom and started searching a girl in our class, and even her bag because she had a mobile phone.

I didn't even know that was allowed. Everyone was proper shocked subhan Allaah.


Sorry for going offtopic, it just reminded me of the idea of teachers searching through peoples bags and stuff.
Reply

England
03-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
I really don't feel like going offtopic, but some years back - the headteacher walked into our classroom and started searching a girl in our class, and even her bag because she had a mobile phone.

I didn't even know that was allowed. Everyone was proper shocked subhan Allaah.


Sorry for going offtopic, it just reminded me of the idea of teachers searching through peoples bags and stuff.
Bags and that are checked all the time now. Even my workplace they check your bags before you leave now and then..
Reply

- Qatada -
03-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah ^ it's just that they did that kind of cop search on her, just because they heard a rumour that she had a phone with her.
Reply

England
03-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Yeah ^ it's just that they did that kind of cop search on her, just because they heard a rumour that she had a phone with her.
That's not allowed I don't think.... My school allowed us to bring mobile phones. We weren't allowed to use them during lessons though.

They even let us bring those cyber pets too lol

Reply

- Qatada -
03-07-2007, 10:34 PM
lol cyber pets were next level, always needed to feed em. And when the battery dies, all your hard work wears out.. unless you did it to please God, lol. Kinda reminds you of this world.


Anyway lol everyone was proper undercover after that, no-one used their phonez infront of others. But no offtopics so my bad.
Reply

tomtomsmom
03-07-2007, 10:40 PM
At my son's school and all the others in my county there are limits to every meal. They can't go over a certain calorie and fat content. That is really great but it really bothers me that if they run out of lunch money they can only have fruit and veggies. Neither of these will my son eat unless they are fresh and not that crappy canned stuff, so he went fully without lunch!!!!! They claim they do this because it is cheaper. But I talked to the lunch manager and she said a PB&J sandwich is cheaper!!!!
Reply

England
03-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
At my son's school and all the others in my county there are limits to every meal. They can't go over a certain calorie and fat content. That is really great but it really bothers me that if they run out of lunch money they can only have fruit and veggies. Neither of these will my son eat unless they are fresh and not that crappy canned stuff, so he went fully without lunch!!!!! They claim they do this because it is cheaper. But I talked to the lunch manager and she said a PB&J sandwich is cheaper!!!!
Canned vegetables?? lol :X

What country is this? What county is this?
Reply

tomtomsmom
03-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by England
Canned vegetables?? lol :X

What country is this? What county is this?
Yeah canned veggies and fruits(the kind that is in nothing but sugar syrup...ewwww)
USA-North Carolina, not sure if it is statewide or just the area I live in though.
Reply

Woodrow
03-07-2007, 10:59 PM
I think back and look at how schools have changed since I was in grade school in the 1940s.

Back then us students had asolutly no rights. All personal property brought to school was subject to be taken away. No lunches were brought from home. This was pre-junk food days so the school lunches were more like a real meal. Prepared in accordance with the nutritional guides of the time.

No snack machines, no leaving the school grounds, I think we just had one rule and that was:

"It is forbidden"
Reply

Lina
03-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
Poor kids, I bet the fat kids will smuggle their burgers n chocolare bars in somehow. Perhaps thier parents can throw them over the fence at lunch time.
:sl:

Subhan'Allah,

You know they did, some parents.


source: ''Jamie's School Dinners"
Reply

Pk_#2
03-09-2007, 12:02 AM
:X+o(:laugh:

urm...............................

ok

healthy food makes me ill .
Reply

Lina
03-09-2007, 01:03 PM
:sl:

Are u serious G?

That's just wrong..
Reply

Count DeSheep
03-10-2007, 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
At my son's school and all the others in my county there are limits to every meal. They can't go over a certain calorie and fat content. That is really great but it really bothers me that if they run out of lunch money they can only have fruit and veggies. Neither of these will my son eat unless they are fresh and not that crappy canned stuff, so he went fully without lunch!!!!! They claim they do this because it is cheaper. But I talked to the lunch manager and she said a PB&J sandwich is cheaper!!!!
What county do you live in? Here in Onslow, they don't do that...They don't even give you fruit or PB&J if you don't have money. You're not allowed to charge anything, either, so if you forget your lunch money one day, you're out of luck. >.<
Reply

Pk_#2
03-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Lina
:sl:

Are u serious G?

That's just wrong..
Yeah, serious :-[

I live on unhealthy food :laugh: +o(

Peace!
Reply

tomtomsmom
03-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Count DeSheep
What county do you live in? Here in Onslow, they don't do that...They don't even give you fruit or PB&J if you don't have money. You're not allowed to charge anything, either, so if you forget your lunch money one day, you're out of luck. >.<
Wake county..I know I know!!!!
That is really crappy!!! How can they not let kids eat????? I would have every parent in the county marching up to the school board!!!!!! I am actually in the process of trying to get the PTA to back me in changing the policy here:D

BTW- Didn't know you were from NC too!!! What a small world:D
Reply

Skavau
03-10-2007, 06:50 PM
What tomtomtom said.

This is a disgrace if implemented anywhere. Watch as parents complain about the situation. They made the lunch for their child. The school have no right to take it away.
Reply

Count DeSheep
03-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
Wake county..I know I know!!!!
That is really crappy!!! How can they not let kids eat?????
Bunch of penny pinchers. >.<

I would have every parent in the county marching up to the school board!!!!!! I am actually in the process of trying to get the PTA to back me in changing the policy here:D
Bleh. Not gunna happen any time soon. Bunch of evil robots running the school board. No change will be permitted. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated...or run outta town. XP

BTW- Didn't know you were from NC too!!! What a small world:D
I'm not from NC...=P I'm from Floridaho. It's on the border of Florida and Idaho. XD

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I think back and look at how schools have changed since I was in grade school in the 1940s.

Back then us students had asolutely no rights. All personal property brought to school was subject to be taken away. No lunches were brought from home. This was pre-junk food days so the school lunches were more like a real meal. Prepared in accordance with the nutritional guides of the time.
I wish school lunches were like you knew them...>.< Funny that the U.S. government cares so much about health that it made a new food pyramid that's 50 times as confusing as the old one, and yet it supplies schools with the junk food it gives to students. It doesn't lift a finger to stop it, either. >=(
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2014, 11:22 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 12:44 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 10:43 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-15-2007, 04:27 PM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-01-2006, 03:42 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!