/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Honey

unknown_JJ
03-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Honey:

The Holy Qur'an says:

"And your Lord revealed to the bee saying: Make hives in the mountains and in the trees and in what they build: Then eat of all the fruits and walk in the ways of your Lord submissively. There comes forth from within it a beverage of many colours, in which there is healing for men; most surely there is a sign in this for a people who reflect." ( Qur'an an-Nahl 68-69)

Listed below are some common problems which can be cured by honey:

Over the centuries, the great power and strength possessed by honey has been underestimated by scientists. It's an element whose curing ability has surprised all levels of intellect. A few of the very many cures from honey have been outlined:

For burns: Apply freely over burns. It cools, removes pain and aids fast healing without scarring. Apart from being a salve and antibiotic, bacteria cannot live in honey.

Bed Wetting:
A teaspoon of honey before bed aids water retention and calms fears in children.

Sleeplessness:
A dessert spoon of honey in a mug of hot milk aids sleep and works wonders!

Hyperactivity:
Honey is a mild sedative with minerals, vitamins, amino acids etc. Replace all white sugar with honey. White sugar is highly stimulating with no food qualities!

Nasal Congestion:
Place a dessert spoon of honey in a basin of hot water and inhale fumes after covering your head with a towel over the basin. Very effective.

Wounds or Grazes:
Cover wound with honey and a bandage. Excellent healer.

For Fatigue:
Dissolve a desert spoon of honey in warm water or quarter honey balance of water in a jug and keep in the fridge. Honey is primarily fructose and glucose and so it is quickly absorbed by the digestive system. (Honey is a unique natural stabilizer - ancient Greek athletes took honey for stamina before competing and as a reviver after competition.)

Facial Deep Cleanser:
Mix honey with oatmeal approx. 50/50 till thick and apply as a face-pack. Leave on for half an hour then wash off. Great as a deep cleanser for acne etc.

Poor Digestion:
Mix honey with apple cider vinegar (non-alcoholic) approx. 50/50 and dilute to taste with water. This aids digestion. (Also reputed to be wonderful for the joints.

Hair Conditioner:
Mix honey with equal quantity of Olive Oil and cover head with a warm towel for half an hour then shampoo off. Feeds hair and scalp. Hair will never look or feel better!

Sore Throats:
Let a teaspoon of honey melt in the back of the mouth and trickle down the throat. Eases inflamed raw tissues.

For Stress:
Honey in water is a stabilizer - calms highs and raises lows. Use approx. 25 percent honey to water.

Anemia: Honey is the best blood en-richer by raising corpuscle content. The darker the honey the more minerals it contains.

Food Preservative:
Cakes with honey replacing sugar stay fresher longer due to natural antibiotics. Reduce liquids by approx. one-fifth to allow for moisture in honey.

Heart Patients:
These people are well advised to replace white sugar (sucrose) with honey, natural fructose and glucose.

Hay-fever:
Chewing the tops of comb honey stimulates the immune system due to minute amounts of pollen. During the season chew for 20 minutes a teaspoon of bee capping (tops) five to six times per day. Highly effective and useful for asthma sufferers as well.

Baby's Bottle: Four teaspoons of honey to a baby's bottle of water is an excellent pacifier and multivitamin additive. If baby's motions are too liquid then reduce by half a teaspoon; if too solid increase by half a teaspoon.

Teething: Honey rubbed on a baby's gums is a mild sedative and anesthetic.

Osteoporosis: English research has shown that a teaspoon of honey per day aids calcium utilization and prevents osteoporosis. Essential from age 50 onwards.

Long Life:
One common fact worldwide is that the most long-lived people are regular users of honey. An interesting fact yet to be explained is that beekeepers suffer less from cancer and arthritis than any other occupational group worldwide.

Migraine:
Use a dessertspoon of honey dissolved in half a glass of warm water. Sip at start of attack. If necessary repeat in 20 minutes. Always effective (Insha Allah) as migraine is stress related.

Conjunctivitis (pus in the eye):
Honey dissolved in equal quantity of warm water. Apply, when cooled, as lotion or eye bath.

Cough mixture

* 6 oz. liquid honey
* 2 oz. glycerin
* Juice of 2 lemons
* Mix well. Bottle and cork firmly. Use as required

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
04-05-2007, 07:44 PM
AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

JJ migrane one u need it sis! lol :p

JazakAllah mmmm honey = money i mean memory! doh :D

ohh and as for meee..:-[

Bed Wetting: A teaspoon of honey before bed aids water retention and calms fears in children.
This is VERY useful...

KIDDING!!:mmokay: pshh sick people +o(

Peace.

Maarya
04-05-2007, 07:58 PM
so now when my mum tells me off for eating too much honey i can tell her its good for me lol:
Anemia: Honey is the best blood en-richer by raising corpuscle content. The darker the honey the more minerals it contains.

'Abd al-Baari
04-05-2007, 08:55 PM
:sl:

Jazakallah for sharing, Subhanallah honey is such a great food and i use it a lot when i am ill with a cough

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
H4RUN
04-21-2007, 03:38 PM
:D
Good info! Jazakallah khair...i bet the hay fever cure is going to be top of the list for some people during the next few months:p I gotta try it out! *aachooooo!* excuse moi:)
fimanaAllah
masalama
:w:

ranma1/2
04-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Important,
Do not feed Honey to babies not eating solid foods.
If you do they can get botulism since their stomach is not acidic enough to kill the spores in honey.

unknown_JJ
04-21-2007, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ranma1/2
Important,
Do not feed Honey to babies not eating solid foods.
If you do they can get botulism since their stomach is not acidic enough to kill the spores in honey.
yep true

"Don't feed honey to babies" is one of those things-you-ought-to-know rules (like "don't mix ammonia with chlorine" and "don't use beach sand when making concrete") that needs more publicity because it is so important.

The word botulism describes a type of poisoning. A strain of bacteria called Clostridium botulinum creates a protein called botulin, and this protein is the cause of botulism. Botulin invades excitatory nerve cells where they meet with muscle fibers and blocks the junction so no signals can get through. The result is paralysis, and in severe cases it totally immobilizes and can kill the patient.

Botulism bacteria are common in nature, but they are killed by oxygen. Therefore, the bacteria form spores that protect them from oxygen, and these spores activate once they get into oxygen-free environments. The most common way to get botulism is from improperly canned food. Once the can is sealed, it creates an oxygen-free environment. The can is then heated, and if heated properly the spores die. If the can is not heated properly, however, the spores activate in the sealed can and fill it with toxin. Because botulin is a protein, heating will destroy it. But if the canned food is eaten cold, botulism occurs.

Babies get botulism from honey in a different way. Bees naturally collect botulism spores as they are collecting nectar and mix them into the honey. Most people can eat these spores without difficulty because we have bacteria in our intestines and robust immune systems that eliminate the spores. Infants do not yet have these defenses. So when a baby eats honey, the spores find themselves in the oxygen-free intestine and come to life. They produce the toxin while inside the baby....

:S

oh wait check this

Honey is a very nutritious substance, it increases body immunity against various viral bacterial and fungal diseases, it keeps the gastrointestinal tract healthy and it is a potent anti-allergic.

The best way to take honey is by dissolving it in water “Honey Drink” without added heat and early in the morning, that’s how Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) used to drink it.

Allah says in the holy Qur’an:
{And your Lord revealed to the bee saying: Make hives in the mountains and in the trees and in what they build, Then eat of all the fruits and walk in the ways of your Lord submissively. There comes forth from within it a beverage of many colors, in which there is healing for men; most surely there is a sign in this for a people who reflect } (An Nahl 16: 68-69)

I am aware that some pediatricians would prefer giving honey after 12 months out of fear of Botulism, but I as a nutritionist, give my children honey after 6th month of age, and I never saw a case of botulism from honey where I live, but in some states and in Canada I know of some cases, so as a rule of thumb for mothers, for a child below one year (which is not your case), if you know of such cases in your area wait after 12 months, if not give it to him after 6 month of age.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...ParentCounselE

Khayal
04-21-2007, 05:32 PM

Very good information...jazakAllah khair.

SophiaCroft
04-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Wow! Honey is such a Usefull blessing!

Kittygyal
04-21-2007, 08:21 PM
salamualikum.
What a peity i can't eat sweet stuff just wasn't allowed to when i was a kid me mam used to shout "No candies Snowy or else grounded' ah man those were the days :(

But anywho shukran for info
Ma'assalama

ranma1/2
04-22-2007, 12:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by unknown_JJ
yep true

....and "don't use beach sand when making concrete") .
?? Ive never heard that but i think i could see how dirty sand could make concrete weaker.

Al_Imaan
04-22-2007, 12:49 AM
cool, Jazak Allah for sharing...

H4RUN
05-24-2007, 09:28 AM
:sl::sl:

Hay fever remedy working for anyone yet?:D

Camomilla
05-24-2007, 09:31 AM
nice thread, thanx for the share, Jazakallah Khiar!

MuslimSis&proud
05-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Jazakallah Khiar very good thread, there's so many benifits from honey, Alhamdulillah.

H4RUN
05-24-2007, 01:52 PM

i was chewing the honey comb today:p felt a bit weird, not the usualy chewing gum is it! It'd not what i thought it would taste like, certainly not 'yuk yuk yuk'...If it keeps my hay fever at bay i shall report back to HQ:D

Re.TiReD
05-24-2007, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN

lol I'll ask ma sis....she gets hayfever....me? am just invincible! hehehehehehe.......*cough cough*...woops..apparantly not! :D

Gangster No.1
05-24-2007, 02:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *UmmQalam*
lol I'll ask ma sis....she gets hayfever....me? am just invincible! hehehehehehe.......*cough cough*...woops..apparantly not! :D
lol.

glo
05-24-2007, 02:20 PM

I believe that for honey to work as a remedy for hay fever it needs to be local honey, because only local honey will contain the local pollen in small doses, which enable the immune system to get accustomed to.
"The honey should be locally produced and should be consumed in small quantities (say one and half teaspoons) every morning. You should ideally do this all year round, or at least a month before the hay fever season starts."
from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3021052.stm

H4RUN
05-24-2007, 06:16 PM
^ ah maan local honey, thats not going to be easy to get though..plus i thought i bought 100% with the comb, but i read that it was 10% pure honey! Do you think the comb of that may help a teeeny weeeny bit? Or even the honey it self

Cheerio, and thanks for the feeedback UmmQalam, the street geeeza and Glo:D

glo
05-25-2007, 05:53 AM
^ ah maan local honey, thats not going to be easy to get though..plus i thought i bought 100% with the comb, but i read that it was 10% pure honey! Do you think the comb of that may help a teeeny weeeny bit? Or even the honey it self

Cheerio, and thanks for the feeedback UmmQalam, the street geeeza and Glo:D
Only 10% honey?? I'm surprised they are allowed to even call it honey with that kind of percentage ... What are the other ingredients?

I am sure some honey (even if not local) is better than no honey, so keep on eating! :D

Out of interest (and if you don't mind me asking), where do you live that there is no local honey?

Thanks

H4RUN
05-26-2007, 11:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Only 10% honey?? I'm surprised they are allowed to even call it honey with that kind of percentage ... What are the other ingredients?

I am sure some honey (even if not local) is better than no honey, so keep on eating! :D

Out of interest (and if you don't mind me asking), where do you live that there is no local honey?

Thanks
Loooo'un aka the civilised town of Luton on par with Madrid:D

I'm sure there is local honey, just a matter of finding it..Although a few weeks back i did happen to walk past a stall that sold dark dark honey, looked like the proper stuff to me, but i just cant remember whether it was in luton or bedford.

unknown_JJ
05-26-2007, 04:25 PM

I'm sure there is local honey, just a matter of finding it..Although a few weeks back i did happen to walk past a stall that sold dark dark honey, looked like the proper stuff to me, but i just cant remember whether it was in luton or bedford.
lol hmm wel my cuzin got a bees nest at her house (in luton) hehe mayb u can help urself hehe
tc asalamu alaykum

Camomilla
05-26-2007, 06:16 PM

i was chewing the honey comb today:p felt a bit weird, not the usualy chewing gum is it! It'd not what i thought it would taste like, certainly not 'yuk yuk yuk'...If it keeps my hay fever at bay i shall report back to HQ:D

try drinking hot tea with honey, mix 2 or 3 table spoon of honey and tea in ur tea cup,
my mother tought me this, It helps people who have cough, flue or fever.
Insha Allah It will work.

Camomilla
05-26-2007, 06:22 PM
lol hmm wel my cuzin got a bees nest at her house (in luton) hehe mayb u can help urself hehe
tc asalamu alaykum
nice! :) :thumbs_up

H4RUN
05-26-2007, 07:37 PM
tc asalamu alaykum

yeah i'll just go the hive and knock on it politely:rollseyes :D

format_quote Originally Posted by Camilla
try drinking hot tea with honey, mix 2 or 3 table spoon of honey and tea in ur tea cup,
my mother tought me this, It helps people who have cough, flue or fever.
Insha Allah It will work.

JazaakAllah, that works for hay fever as well?? Arghhh:raging: I dont like Mr pollen!
:D:w:

Camomilla
05-27-2007, 12:09 PM
JazaakAllah, that works for hay fever as well?? Arghhh:raging: I dont like Mr pollen!
:D:w:
wa'iyakum! :)
who iz Mr pollen?

H4RUN
05-27-2007, 01:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Camilla
wa'iyakum! :)
who iz Mr pollen?
:DPollen is pollen, unless u want the google definition...

It's erm fine powder in a plant for fertilisation i think, done this long time ago so cant remembre much...Can get dispersed in many ways, one of them being by wind...i think..hmm.. i think too much...hence it gets up ya nose and causes an alergic reaction to some of us which in essence causes us to do the following..ACHOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Sneaze, watery itchy eyes and so on :D

i made a complete mockery of the definition of pollen i fink:p

Camomilla
05-28-2007, 09:28 AM
:DPollen is pollen, unless u want the google definition...

It's erm fine powder in a plant for fertilisation i think, done this long time ago so cant remembre much...Can get dispersed in many ways, one of them being by wind...i think..hmm.. i think too much...hence it gets up ya nose and causes an alergic reaction to some of us which in essence causes us to do the following..ACHOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Sneaze, watery itchy eyes and so on :D

i made a complete mockery of the definition of pollen i fink:p
LOL :)
now i understand

arabookworm
05-30-2007, 12:53 AM
the suggestion to give a baby honey might not be a good idea. honey in children under the age of 12 months can cause botulism. also, babies often fall asleep with their bottles and, although it is very good for you, the honey can still cause tooth decay.

glo
05-30-2007, 05:50 AM

'Local' honey means it has to be produced in your region. The flora in Bedford would still be quite similar to that around Luton, I guess (more so, at least, than say the Lake District or the Outer Hebridees). And bees fly a fair distance in a day ayway ... as far as 5 miles from what I read.

The colour of the honey is determined by the type of flowers the bees mainly visit. For example the lavender fields in Norfolk, rape fields etc.

Did you know that honey bees are absolutely vital for the pollination of our crops? Without those little critters many of our harvests would fail ...

BTW, we drove past your town on our way to St Albans yesterday. We visited the Roman Museum (my son's homework project) and the cathedral.

"What have the Romans ever done for us??!" :D

H4RUN
05-30-2007, 11:30 AM
'Local' honey means it has to be produced in your region. The flora in Bedford would still be quite similar to that around Luton, I guess (more so, at least, than say the Lake District or the Outer Hebridees). And bees fly a fair distance in a day ayway ... as far as 5 miles from what I read.

The colour of the honey is determined by the type of flowers the bees mainly visit. For example the lavender fields in Norfolk, rape fields etc.

Did you know that honey bees are absolutely vital for the pollination of our crops? Without those little critters many of our harvests would fail ...

BTW, we drove past your town on our way to St Albans yesterday. We visited the Roman Museum (my son's homework project) and the cathedral.

"What have the Romans ever done for us??!" :D
Greetings:D
Yes local honey in my region or thereabouts, its just i cant remember where i saw it for sale, hence i cant buy it:D

Na i didnt know that about bees, although i do know that if u get stung by them they leave a mark:D Thanks for the info:D

Oh St Albans, that must be whats it called? hmmm err Verulamium museum or something like that? I went there quite a while ago when i was studying the romans in junior school, i dont think i ever did grasp the correct name of that place:p I enjoyed that place at the time, fascinated by their baths lol

Cheerio:D

3isha
05-30-2007, 11:32 AM
subhanallah wot a blessing
jazakallah for sharing

Pk_#2
05-30-2007, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by arabookworm
the suggestion to give a baby honey might not be a good idea. honey in children under the age of 12 months can cause botulism. also, babies often fall asleep with their bottles and, although it is very good for you, the honey can still cause tooth decay.
okay tooth decay i can agree on but the other bit aint alwayz tru...

The best way to take honey is by dissolving it in water “Honey Drink” without added heat and early in the morning, that’s how Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) used to drink it.

nutty
06-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Cough mixture

* 6 oz. liquid honey
* 2 oz. glycerin
* Juice of 2 lemons

isn't glycerin haram??????

unknown_JJ
06-02-2007, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nutty
Cough mixture

* 6 oz. liquid honey
* 2 oz. glycerin
* Juice of 2 lemons

isn't glycerin haram??????
yesh i gues it is haraam

(from www.dictionary.com
glycerin

noun
a sweet syrupy trihydroxy alcohol obtained by saponification of fats and oils

Pk_#2
06-03-2007, 04:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maliha Misam

Heyyyy JJ!! lost the plot u posted on my account :p

Nah no worries,

Your thread got far :D

Did you know that honey is considered to be the best remedy for diarrhoea (is dat how ya spell it?) when mixed in hot water...You should try it

:rollseyes

PS nice limo, AsalamuALaykum Warahmatullah much lov x :D

ranma1/2
06-04-2007, 12:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maliha Misam

Personally i think the best way is dipping honey on strawberrys, or perhaps on toast, or on cereal, or as a binding agent to homemade granola bars or on apples, or with a Elvis sandwhich "toast, peanut butter, honey, bacon, bananas" Oh and on corndogs.. especially home made ones.

Karina
06-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Well I AGREE!

Honey is one of natures best remedies and Soooooo verstile!!!

Just a personal example. When I was little and had fallen & grazed my knee, my mum would always fetch a plaster (band aid) and put honey and a little GARLIC on it then stick it to my knee. I didn't realise at the time, but you wouldn't belive how quick things heal with these fabulous things! You should try next time you get a cut or graze it's really amazing......

I still use honey and garlic to this day in a lot of my personal health remedies - much better than any man made rubbish I say!

:)

glo
06-06-2007, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karina
Well I AGREE!

Honey is one of natures best remedies and Soooooo verstile!!!

Just a personal example. When I was little and had fallen & grazed my knee, my mum would always fetch a plaster (band aid) and put honey and a little GARLIC on it then stick it to my knee. I didn't realise at the time, but you wouldn't belive how quick things heal with these fabulous things! You should try next time you get a cut or graze it's really amazing......

I still use honey and garlic to this day in a lot of my personal health remedies - much better than any man made rubbish I say!
:)
I've never heard of that, but I will try it at the next possible opportunity (Having a very active 10-year-old sports fanatic for a child, that won't be long! :D)

I love home-made remedies (well, I love home-made almost anything, really ...)

Question: did the garlic not sting?

Thanks

Karina
06-06-2007, 08:16 PM
I've never heard of that, but I will try it at the next possible opportunity (Having a very active 10-year-old sports fanatic for a child, that won't be long! :D)

I love home-made remedies (well, I love home-made almost anything, really ...)

Question: did the garlic not sting?

Thanks
Yes, it stings, but a "nice" sting if you know what I mean - it feeeels like it's working!

I would rather have honey, garlic, my garden herbs and fresh lemon-juice any day, over the pharmacutical remedies wherever possible (I really don't trust pharmacutical companies or remedies, but that's a different thread altogether!!)

PEACE

BanGuLLy
06-06-2007, 08:23 PM
wow thanks for the info..:)

Karina
06-06-2007, 08:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bangsta
wow thanks for the info..:)
Bangsta you should try gargling with cider vinegar (DEFINITELY not haram - although PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong! it's called "Cider" vinegar as it's made PURLEY from apples - NO alchohol!) next time you have a sore throat - the antibacterial properties, just like honey, can be used for literally hundreds of ailments.

:statisfie

glo
06-06-2007, 09:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karina
Yes, it stings, but a "nice" sting if you know what I mean - it feeeels like it's working!

I would rather have honey, garlic, my garden herbs and fresh lemon-juice any day, over the pharmacutical remedies wherever possible (I really don't trust pharmacutical companies or remedies, but that's a different thread altogether!!)

PEACE
I am pondering what you could possibly mean by a 'nice sting' ... :?

Not like this, then: :X :phew :laugh: :enough!: ?

Perhaps more like: :rollseyes +o( :statisfie ??

Karina
06-06-2007, 09:07 PM
I am pondering what you could possibly mean by a 'nice sting' ... :?

Not like this, then: :X :phew :laugh: :enough!: ?

Perhaps more like: :rollseyes +o( :statisfie ??

Kinda like:

:'( :uuh: :giggling: :statisfie :coolious:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.