/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Home education

ummbilal
07-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Salam alakum everyone,
i was just wondering is there anyone on list who home schools their children or anyone that was home educated?

I am currently home educating my children as i find its the best way to give them an islamic education. :thumbs_up salaam alakum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
rsx
07-24-2005, 10:49 PM
no, public school all the way. Meet everyone from different religion and culture and learn to get along.

NooralHaya
07-24-2005, 10:51 PM
mashaAllah home schooling sounds good. i have some friends whose mother home schools them, and a friend of mine home schools her kids, mashaAllah the outcome is good. they arent exposed to some of the najas things public schools provides. but as for communication and "public speaking" types of skills, i'm wondering how home schooling goes with that?

as salaamu alaikum

Pinkrose
07-25-2005, 03:40 PM
:sl:

Well i used to go to Public schools but since i came to High School i decided to get home schooled cuz' there is too much fitnah in school!! :D If you know what i mean!! ;) I had enough in middle school!! So Alhamdulillah i will start my home shooling really soon!! :thumbs_up

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
NooralHaya
07-25-2005, 06:17 PM
mashaAllah sis, thats good =)

Muezzin
07-26-2005, 12:42 PM

I went to public school and I turned out okay.

But that depends on your definition of 'okay', okay?

NooralHaya
07-26-2005, 12:58 PM
i go to public school.. i guess i would call it OKAY ...... like i do my best to follow the deen. but of course theres fitnah and REAL ignorant people there. i think it also depends on a persons strength to carry on and do whats right and not be easily influenced by others and the whispers of shaytaan. also the group of people one hangs out with plays a big role in the type of person someone would develop into. its just safer to not take the risk of public school in my opinion

junna1
07-27-2005, 12:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NooralHaya
i go to public school.. i guess i would call it OKAY ...... like i do my best to follow the deen. but of course theres fitnah and REAL ignorant people there. i think it also depends on a persons strength to carry on and do whats right and not be easily influenced by others and the whispers of shaytaan. also the group of people one hangs out with plays a big role in the type of person someone would develop into. its just safer to not take the risk of public school in my opinion

Sis when i said fitnah i didn't mean ppl messing with me because i wear hijaab and ppl mocking me but i meant that the guys are stupid and can't leave a muslimah alone!! Do you know what i mean!!? Don't they see i am a muslim and don't play by their games!! Subhanallah!! :zip:

By the way this is Pinkrose writing!! I can't sign in as me!! :'(

:w: :wilted_ro

TEH
07-27-2005, 12:53 AM
I am so glad that I go to an all boys school...

:D

NooralHaya
07-27-2005, 01:15 AM
word, i knew what you meant by fitnah =) but those are also other issues in public school

TEH
07-27-2005, 01:17 AM
Private school, isnt as bad as some of the problems you face in comprehensives...

:)

NooralHaya
07-27-2005, 01:34 AM
so i'd think.

TEH
07-27-2005, 01:36 AM
Girls are fitnah for boys though, like big time, I dont have to worry about them until uni...

:shade:

NooralHaya
07-27-2005, 01:38 AM
it works the other way around too yenno. but i will admit women are a greater fitnah. the prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam said he left for men no greater fitnah than women. subhanAllah

TEH
07-27-2005, 01:41 AM
Well there you go, a distraction from deen and their work...

NooralHaya
07-27-2005, 01:42 AM
ok dont make all women sound evil now dang it !

junna1
07-27-2005, 01:43 AM

Well you come to my school and you will feel like you are surrounded by boys!!

TEH
07-27-2005, 01:45 AM
My parents would never let my sister go to a mixed school, and honestly, I think that is a good thing...

NooralHaya
07-27-2005, 01:46 AM
yea mashaAllah, props to your parents

TEH
07-27-2005, 01:49 AM
Would you???

NooralHaya
07-27-2005, 01:54 AM
would i not send my daughter to a mixed school? is that what your asking?

TEH
07-27-2005, 01:57 AM
yep...

NooralHaya
07-27-2005, 02:00 AM
thats not entirely my decision, but no way [inshaAllah]

Muezzin
07-27-2005, 08:59 AM

Single-sex schools are great and all, it's just a bit hit-and-miss when kids leave them. Either they turn out as good, chaste Muslims, or feel so 'deprived' (in the eyes of the West) of the opposite sex, that they go out and do naughty things.

That said, I went to an all-boys secondary school, and adjusted to the mixed system of college and uni. The constant threat of a good beating is enough to make anyone behave themselves :p

mary
07-27-2005, 09:09 AM
i think the resultz speak for themself at single sex schools, they are always significantly better. Esp in Reading..

Muezzin
07-27-2005, 09:32 AM

Yeah, but literacy is still going down the tubes. Especially with the advent of text-speak. How I hate that. It's almost as bad as leet (l337). Sad, sad.

junna1
07-27-2005, 11:45 AM

Ya'll are lucky you have those kind of schools!! We don't have any of those kind of schools here in MI!! *Well at least i never heard of any!!* My parents only want us to go to school til' we finish with middle school and once we're done with that and we go to High School they want us to change to home school!! Which is a very good thing!! Alahamdulilah!!

My older bro right now is almost done with his home school work and he will be getting his diploma soon!! The home school that we use is very easy and you will finish with your school stuff faster than public schools!! You have a better advantage!! And better muslim life cuz' you have more time for your deen instead of 8 hours of learining other stuff in PS!!

NooralHaya
07-27-2005, 01:10 PM
mashaAllah thats cool^ i dont know TOO many people around here who home school.. the thought never crossed my parents' mind. so im up for my last year [senior year] in public high school *sigh*

rsx
07-29-2005, 12:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NooralHaya
ok dont make all women sound evil now dang it !
http://www.tech-sol.net/humor/marriage82.htm

Proof:

Women are evil

Women = Time X Money

And as we all know “time is money”

Time = Money

Therefore by substituting Money for Time we get:

Women = Money X Money

Women = (Money)2

And because “money is the root of all evil” we therefore can state:

Money = (Evil)1/2

And Since

(Money)2 = Women

Then (Money)2 = Evil

And we are forced to conclude by substituting "women" for "(money)2" from above that:

Women = Evil

:D :p

NooralHaya
07-29-2005, 02:55 AM
oh, thats your problem. dont get yourself a woman then.

mary
07-29-2005, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by junna1

Ya'll are lucky you have those kind of schools!! We don't have any of those kind of schools here in MI!! *Well at least i never heard of any!!* My parents only want us to go to school til' we finish with middle school and once we're done with that and we go to High School they want us to change to home school!! Which is a very good thing!! Alahamdulilah!!

My older bro right now is almost done with his home school work and he will be getting his diploma soon!! The home school that we use is very easy and you will finish with your school stuff faster than public schools!! You have a better advantage!! And better muslim life cuz' you have more time for your deen instead of 8 hours of learining other stuff in PS!!

u know thats kind of sad that the only option u then have is home school. U can get sum fantastic schools over here. Theres lots of islamic schools as well, however i always went to secondary onwards single sex school.

Pinkrose
07-30-2005, 03:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mary
u know thats kind of sad that the only option u then have is home school. U can get sum fantastic schools over here. Theres lots of islamic schools as well, however i always went to secondary onwards single sex school.

Hey sis i just wanna say that the post you replied to was by me and not junna!! :D I had problems singing in!!

But i just wanna know where do you live? so i can come down if possible!! :D
Your really lucky that you only went to single sex schools!! They don't have that here!! it really sucks going to public schools when you get bugged so much so the only option is home schools!! :(

Muezzin
07-30-2005, 03:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rsx
http://www.tech-sol.net/humor/marriage82.htm

Proof:

Women are evil

Women = Time X Money

And as we all know “time is money”

Time = Money

Therefore by substituting Money for Time we get:

Women = Money X Money

Women = (Money)2

And because “money is the root of all evil” we therefore can state:

Money = (Evil)1/2

And Since

(Money)2 = Women

Then (Money)2 = Evil

And we are forced to conclude by substituting "women" for "(money)2" from above that:

Women = Evil

:D :p
MONEY IS NOT EVIL!

Love of money is evil!

If you gave a chicken money, would the chicken be evil?

(guess what I'm quoting and I'll give you some rep)

mary
07-30-2005, 08:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pinkrose

Hey sis i just wanna say that the post you replied to was by me and not junna!! :D I had problems singing in!!

But i just wanna know where do you live? so i can come down if possible!! :D
Your really lucky that you only went to single sex schools!! They don't have that here!! it really sucks going to public schools when you get bugged so much so the only option is home schools!! :(

i live in reading. We have four girls schools in reading two are private (one being catholic school) one grammar (really gud scool!!!) and one state (mind u thats not v gud) but the other three are fantastic. Reading is very nice place to live, u shd defo cum inshallah :)

Muezzin
07-30-2005, 08:11 PM
Does Reading have a lot of libraries?

...sorry. Couldn't resist the cheesiness.

mary
07-30-2005, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Does Reading have a lot of libraries?

...sorry. Couldn't resist the cheesiness.
we dnt live in them if thats wht worries u :p Reading does have sum very clever pupils though... who work really hard but on the subject of libraries we are not short!

Pinkrose
07-31-2005, 01:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mary
i live in reading. We have four girls schools in reading two are private (one being catholic school) one grammar (really gud scool!!!) and one state (mind u thats not v gud) but the other three are fantastic. Reading is very nice place to live, u shd defo cum inshallah :)

It would be soooo cool if i could move down there sis but my parents have other places in mind!! :(

But i kinda agree with my parents on the other places but not about moving to virginia!! :-[

Muezzin
07-31-2005, 07:09 PM

Er... Reading is in the UK, not the US :confused:

mary
07-31-2005, 07:16 PM
u know wht i think hes onto sumthin, i do mean uk reading :) sorry if u thought usa!

Muezzin
07-31-2005, 08:04 PM
So, who teaches home schooling? Is it like, ex-teachers or something?

Teaching can be a very difficult job, even if it isn't necessarily well respected.

Junna
08-02-2005, 02:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
So, who teaches home schooling? Is it like, ex-teachers or something?

Teaching can be a very difficult job, even if it isn't necessarily well respected.

In the home school we go to we don't have any teachers. We just get one subject sent to us at a time and then we do the exams it comes with. It's like an open book test. Once you are done with the exams you mail it and then you wait for them to send you your grade on It. Sometimes you have to write an essay. I hate the essay parts. :mad: Some home schools do have teachers, but I don't know how those work, cuz that's not the ones we had or have. :D Hope that is enough info.

Muezzin
08-02-2005, 12:03 PM

I see. When you say it's like an open-book test, do you mean you're allowed to refer to the subject text books when doing exams?

Also, how does one ensure that no cheating takes place? :confused:

ummbilal
09-23-2005, 02:26 PM
salaam alakum all

mashallah its good to hear so many people are home educated, or home schooled, I have had lots of fun home edding my 3, we're doing the 5 sences at the moment and blind tasting is always fun esspecially when i get the gherkins out...hehe!!

we dont follow a perticular curriculum except for math, ramadan is always good when your home educating as there are no distractions of school.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.