/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Jewish school where half the pupils are Muslim!

rubiesand
03-09-2007, 08:58 PM
King David, in Birmingham, is a state primary where the children learn Hebrew, recite Jewish prayers, eat kosher food and wave Israeli flags. So how come the majority of pupils are followers of Islam?
Jonathan Margolis investigates

click here for story

(hijab flutter @ dervish):)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ManchesterFolk
03-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Wow a great story:

I pray that Muslim schools would give the same rights to Jews:

The school is also respectful to Islam, setting aside a prayer room for the children and supplying Muslim teachers during Ramadan. At Eid, the Muslim children are wished Eid Mubarak in assembly, and all year round, if they wish, can wear a kufi (hat).

strider
03-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Majority of the Muslim schools would. :)

ManchesterFolk
03-10-2007, 12:36 PM
That is heart warming.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ManchesterFolk
03-10-2007, 12:42 PM
It actually makes a lot of sense. In an area where there is a Jewish school that serves Kosher food which is more strict than Halal, allows women to wear headscraves, allows people to pray, would be a huge alternative over a public school that serves pork, doesn't allow prayer, and bans the hijab and Jewish headcoverings.

Malaikah
03-10-2007, 12:48 PM
But what about learning Hebrew and the Jewish prayers? "I think it's great. The more knowledge, the more understanding," says one of the mothers. "They learn all they need about Islam at mosque school. Actually, the kids often sing Hebrew songs in the bath, which is a bit confusing because we speak Gujarati at home, but I think it's great."
:sl:

Just as long as they don't end up with identity issues and feel more Jewish than Muslim...:rollseyes

I guess it might be better than state schools though... at least it is moral.

ManchesterFolk
03-10-2007, 12:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
:sl:

Just as long as they don't end up with identity issues and feel more Jewish than Muslim...:rollseyes

I guess it might be better than state schools though... at least it is moral.
I agree, I think going to a Jewish school would be safe since the Jews are generally against conversion unless the person basically begs the Rabbi and promises he is 100%.

rebelishaulman
03-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Very interesting story.

north_malaysian
03-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Maybe hijab-clad and kuffiya-wearing students in France can go to Jewish schools too...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.