/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Court orders Saudi drug user to memorise Quran

seeker_of_ilm
01-31-2007, 04:41 PM
:sl:

Court orders Saudi drug user to memorise Koran

Junkie gets to choose between six months in prison or six months to memorise Koran.

RIYADH - A Saudi court has ordered a drug user to spend six months memorising the Koran, but he faces a year in prison if he fails to recite the Muslim holy book by heart, a newspaper said on Tuesday.

The "alternative sentence" saves the Saudi man from Jeddah from a six-month jail term, al-Watan said. But that sentence will be doubled if his Koranic recitation classes fail to make him a "hafez", someone who knows the Koran by heart.

There are more than 77,000 words in the Koran. It takes on average two years to study.

Saudi Arabia's religious courts apply strict Islamic sharia law. But judges have wide discretion when it comes to sentencing.

Source: http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=19271

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
shible
01-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Masha Allah

that kind of sentence is really good to here since if a man who memorizes Quran with Translations then whatever may be his heart Allah shall turn it into a noble one.

Idris
01-31-2007, 04:49 PM
lol that's a good idea lol.

FBI
01-31-2007, 04:57 PM

subhanallah whats with that regime, I attended islamic schools when I was young they would force me to read quran ect, I never had the intention for it so I didn't really bother with it, also lets actually look at the situation, they're actually going to add to his sentence if he fails, u can't force the deen on people like this. also they're undermining their own laws by given out such a ruling, break the law don't worry do quran for six months then it'll be ok, talk about a soft touch.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd al-Baari
01-31-2007, 07:32 PM
mashallah
good sentence

BlissfullyJaded
02-01-2007, 04:33 AM

Yeah, I knew about these sentences for drug users. Its one thing if their hearts naturally turned towards Allah and they wanted to memorize the Quran out of their own will, which happens with many people in prison. But this...if they're not sincere about it, and they're just doing it for the sake of getting out of jail and will later just forget everything, how is the purpose being served? I hope they're sincere about it though inshaAllah.

Zulkiflim
02-01-2007, 04:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

Yeah, I knew about these sentences for drug users. Its one thing if their hearts naturally turned towards Allah and they wanted to memorize the Quran out of their own will, which happens with many people in prison. But this...if they're not sincere about it, and they're just doing it for the sake of getting out of jail and will later just forget everything, how is the purpose being served? I hope they're sincere about it though inshaAllah.
Salaam,

I agree,,,it is like forcing a muslim to pray five times a day,his heart is not in it and thru that act he sins more.

The Prophet once said,it is not how perfect one does a deed,even praying,but HE TRIES IT AND AT VERY STEP perfect it.

But there is the willingness,a drive a passion for Allah ....this is just compulsion.

Taking drugs is haram and in my opinion so is smoking ,and both should be punished with a due punishment.

PErhaps when he is in prision he will learn to become a hafiz out of realisation.

Woodrow
02-01-2007, 01:57 PM
This is almost a guarantee that he will have his sentence doubled from 6 months to 1 year. Unless it truly is in his heart to become a hafiz in just 6 months. It will take much dedication and much love of the Qur'an for him to accomplish that. If he has any doubt about being able to do it, the lesser jail sentence would be the easier. He has chosen the more difficult of the sentences and we can only pray that he chose it because he has truly repented.

S_87
02-01-2007, 02:26 PM
he'll be a mutawwa next huh? lol

chris4336
02-01-2007, 02:37 PM
I think the good thing about this punishment is that it is kind of a "means of rehabilitation" (though prehaps not the best one). I think its much more effective to try to rehabilitate criminals than to just throw them in a cell all day, and when they leave they will get involved in exactly the same crimes.

youngsister
03-10-2007, 01:00 PM
:w:
RIYADH (Reuters) - A Saudi court has ordered a drug user to spend six months memorising the Koran, but he faces a year in prison if he fails to recite the Muslim holy book by heart, a newspaper said on Tuesday.

The "alternative sentence" saves the Saudi man from Jeddah from a six-month jail term, al-Watan said. But that sentence will be doubled if his Koranic recitation classes fail to make him a "hafez", someone who knows the Koran by heart.

There are more than 77,000 words in the Koran. It takes on average two years to study.

Saudi Arabia's religious courts apply strict Islamic sharia law. But it is largely uncodified and judges have wide discretion when it comes to sentencing.

Source: Reuters.

What do you lot think?:)

ismahan
03-10-2007, 01:09 PM
I THINK dats wrong even though its good for him its not his intention, i've been tought to do everything by my own intention. down here in england they dont force u to learn the bible do they. this is just my opinion.

youngsister
03-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Well the only thing we can hope for that it furthers his knowledge and direct him towards the right path.

*KB*
03-10-2007, 01:41 PM
salam
harsh! BUT, is this "drug user" muslim or not?
waslam
*KB*
:coolious:

youngsister
03-10-2007, 01:43 PM
[B]:sl: Not sure I heard hes muslim:w:

*KB*
03-10-2007, 01:59 PM
then its not that bad is it as he will learn that drugs are bad and insha'Allah become a better muslim.
(that is if he is one)

Pk_#2
03-10-2007, 02:50 PM
AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

format_quote Originally Posted by ismahan
I THINK dats wrong even though its good for him its not his intention, i've been tought to do everything by my own intention. down here in england they dont force u to learn the bible do they. this is just my opinion.
:statisfie

I think he should take the year, within this year he could focus on whether he would like to memorise the Qur'an and be a good Muslim (if he is one) or continue drug use.

It's harsh, if its a non-Muslim / a Muslim and i don't think it's right, i'm pretty sure if he was a Muslim he would be well aware of the sins he is committing even a non-Muslim would understand the consequences of drug usage.

I pray that Allah (swt) forgives him, and shows him the correct path,

and inshaAllah may he become a hafiz with his own intention.

This will be better for him.

Peace be upon those who follow guidance.

Camomilla
03-10-2007, 02:55 PM
:sl: :D :D
tz!!!! I got ur message and I sent u one,
but It didn't forward It coz ur inbox was full!!
:statisfie :statisfie nice post
oh, and taz, I'm very happy when u sent me message,
peace!!!:statisfie :statisfie

Camomilla
03-10-2007, 02:57 PM
I've heard about this thing before..

Makky
03-10-2007, 03:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by youngsister
RIYADH (Reuters) - A Saudi court has ordered a drug user to spend six months memorising the Koran, but he faces a year in prison if he fails to recite the Muslim holy book by heart, a newspaper said on Tuesday.

Saudi Arabia's religious courts apply strict Islamic sharia law. But it is largely uncodified and judges have wide discretion when it comes to sentencing.

Reuters always make things upside down to falsify facts

The court gave him an option to be free after 1/2 the jail term which is (1 year in his case) if he memorized the Quran...so if he memorized the quran he will be released earlier

S_87
03-10-2007, 06:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *KB*
salam
harsh! BUT, is this "drug user" muslim or not?
waslam
*KB*
:coolious:

well hes saudi so yes :?

iqbal_soofi
03-10-2007, 06:41 PM

This is very harsh way to punish the drug users. People waste their money on cheap drugs for their peace of mind. But the good thing about the cheap drugs is that brain damaged by them could possibly be rehabilitated with a lot of effort and treatment though. However, the people punished by most of the Islamic punishments cannot be rehablitated later on. For example, if the hand is cut or if the brain is damaged, then these cannot be recovered. They're gone forever.

جوري
03-10-2007, 06:56 PM
less than 5% of drug abusers actually recover ...
there is only one RX for drug addicts and that applies only to the Heroin addicts RX is Methadone in and of itself is another opioid drug... RX is given for life since these abusers have damaged their opioid receptors to the point where actual life threatening situations can arise if they withdraw all of a sudden, RX is basically done under GOVT. approval in addiction clinics.. some abusers go so far as take their methadone and spit it in a cup to sell on the streets as a lesser form of a benzodiazepine ... so they need to be tested for metabolites.....all of this is done on your tax dollar right here in the U.S.....
.... other drugs that are often abused have no RX... I challenge you to find me a useful treatment for Cocaine, or PCP, angel dust etc etc..

Frankly if they can get this man to concentrate on something other than his addiction... then he might be one of the lucky 5% tp break the cycle
Peace!

AbuAbdallah
03-10-2007, 07:10 PM
This is very harsh way to punish the drug users
What's so harsh about it?
or if the brain is damaged
I don't know of an Islamic punishment that damages the brain.

youngsister
03-10-2007, 07:45 PM
:sl: Whats so harsh about it?:? They doing him a favour this isnt even a punishment in my eyes.:w:

iqbal_soofi
03-11-2007, 01:40 AM
:sl: Whats so harsh about it?:? They doing him a favour this isnt even a punishment in my eyes.:w:
You think it a favor to stop the thinking ability of the brains permanently?

BlissfullyJaded
03-11-2007, 01:56 AM

*Threads Merged*

You think it a favor to stop the thinking ability of the brains permanently?
How are they doing that?

جوري
03-11-2007, 06:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

*Threads Merged*

How are they doing that?
Dear sis Jawhara :) get with the times... let me redefine things for you!
freedom that is preached by the west is taking a new form you see... it isn't "freedom of" anymore, it is "freedom from".
Freedom from your clothes
freedom from your religion
freedom from your morals
freedom from mental clarity
So naturally being lucid and drug free can be in a twisted way a form of stopping your brain from thinking permanently? you apparently reach true nirvana and mental awakening when on a mushroom trip! that is how you rehabilitate ......Ahhhhhhh!:skeleton:

Ra`eesah
03-11-2007, 06:56 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

For some reason I do not think its right to do that. There are laws given regarding these issues and memorizing the Qur`an is not one of them. They should be lashed.

Allaah knows best.

BlissfullyJaded
03-11-2007, 07:02 AM

Oh okay, I think I had misunderstood something previously, so nevermind. I understood that, so jazakallah khair sis PurestAmbrosia.

Agreed sis Ra`aeesah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.