/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I am going to Saudi Arabia

ManchesterFolk
03-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Having been all across the world, I have chosen Saudi Arabia as a place I want to go next. I have all the information and permission from the goverment to enter the country now, but it was a very big hassle. First I had to show proof that I was not a Jew. Jews are not allowed in Saudi Arabia which is complete religious discrimination, of course but anyway, that is not the point of me starting this thread.

What culturaul things should I know that would make visiting Saudi Arabia different from other countries I have been to. (Turkey and Jordan). Is my wife as a non-Muslim expected to cover up as well? What happends if she does not?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
03-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Salams

As far as i know non muslims are allowed in Saudi Arabia apart from the two holy cities, Makkah and Madinah
As far as i know your wife would not be expected to cover her head

chacha_jalebi
03-10-2007, 09:08 PM
thats not true, jews are allowed :D

but no non muslim is allowed in the butifull holy cities of Makkah and Madinah:D ya get me bredrin :p

and why you going saudi?? tourism?

Helena
03-10-2007, 09:14 PM
erm proof need to identify urself if not jew?.....is this true?...why arent jew allowed? any valid reasons?

erm yeap....non muslims are not allowed to enter both makkah or madinah as both brothers mentioned above...

regarding ur wife covering up......depends where shes staying?....am not sure at all....

how cum ur going Saudi Arabia?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Lina
03-10-2007, 11:40 PM
:sl:

Are u serious g?

I also want to go to saudi!

Pk_#2
03-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Yes 'Y' lol

ERM...well if bro goes with wifey-Let us know how it is?

How it goes?

or waheva

Muslim Woman
03-11-2007, 12:05 AM

I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&

format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
Jews are not allowed in Saudi Arabia which is complete religious discrimination, .
----most probably , when jews broke the treaty during the time of the last Prophet (p) , they were expelled from SA. Though i m not sure if they are/were allowed there later.

When the officials asked to show proof that u r not a jew , u did not ask them anything ? Anyway , as u r going there ( good luck, i m jealous :) ) , if possible , try to ask someone why Jews are not allowed there ?

What culturaul things should I know that would make visiting Saudi Arabia different from other countries I have been to. (Turkey and Jordan).

--- i was there for 1 month. Never saw any man wearing shorts in the streets. So , it's better to know in advance about dress code. Don't try to talk to any Saudi women ...street police may catch u ...oopppss :rollseyes

Is my wife as a non-Muslim expected to cover up as well? What happends if she does not?
--If she is UK/US citizen , then it's not a must for her to cover head. I saw in Jeddah that US women were wearing loose gown/Burqa/Abaya they did not cover hair.

If anyone breaks law , surely Police will handle the matter . I don't know what's the punishment for not covering hair ; i heard that for the 1st time , police take them to staion & Imam comes for giving a lecture but it's for the foreign Muslim women. Not sure about non-Muslim women.

I also heard that veil system is striclly followed in Jeddah , Riyad etc.

if possible , let us know about ur experience in Saudi. Best of luck :D

ManchesterFolk
03-11-2007, 01:00 AM
how cum ur going Saudi Arabia?
Tourism.

جوري
03-11-2007, 01:11 AM
Tourism.
lol.......... want to do tourism in rich Arabic country go to dubai in UAE not Saudi Arabia!... and Yes! your wife will be expected to cover up... I lived in saudi Arabia for four yrs and Americans follow the rules just like everyone else!

My dad had to go bail our Lebanese xtian neighbor once from a jail for not going to prayer when it was time for prayer. Saudi Arabia is not one of those places you go to for tourism!... you have short term work you can go... but even us Muslims weren't granted allowance into their universities....eh maybe things have changed now? Who knows! I doubt it!

I can't imagine what you want to do there unless it is short term work or pilgrimage...

As much as I hate the saudi oil lords I actually rather appreciate that they bend the rules for no one-- So pack your wife an 'Abaya, or a nice long hooded cloak!

جوري
03-11-2007, 01:18 AM
RE: Muslim woman.. you are right! They were less strict in jeddah. But Riyadh is very strict, except the children of course can wear what they wanted......... G-D how I miss saudi Arabia... I was just a little girl at the time, and was really home sick for my own country... had a bit of a culture shock in the beginning... truly it was a marvelous experience to be there.... too bad I didn't appreciate it as much at the time...I miss their street shawerma and their extravagant buildings! May Allah grant us Hajj and 'omra there soon insha'Allah =0)
---
Don't see lots of Muslims and Jews at the vatican either but I don't hear anyone complaining!!!!!!!

Muslim Woman
03-11-2007, 01:23 AM

Salaam/peace

Having been all across the world, I have chosen Saudi Arabia as a place I want to go next.?
-- I just remember that someone told me Police may check passport at any time. So , it's better if u have a photocopy of ur passport & keep it in ur bag always.

i did not visit the whole link ; looks like this site may be helpful for ur wife ( if anybody notices anything anti-Islamic pl. let me know )

Arabic Proverb - The mind is for seeing, the heart is for hearing.

A Virtual Tour of Saudi Arabia hosted by an American woman

Jane, your Tour Guide, wearing a Saudi Arabian Abaya.

Did you have to wear that Black Thing?

Saudi Arabia has always been shrouded in mystery and when people discover I lived in Saudi Arabia for 8 years they usually have many questions to ask me. This site was created to answer some of those questions.

I have filled these pages with information, pictures, experiences and trivia I found interesting.

Saudi Arabia is more than just a desert

The country changed dramatically during the last half of the 20th Century so please take the time to sit back and enjoy this short tour

Listen to Arabic: Hello, peace be upon you - assalamu alaikum

http://www.toursaudiarabia.com/audio/hello.wav

http://www.toursaudiarabia.com

Hashim_507
03-11-2007, 09:28 AM
I hope you benefit alot visiting Saudia Arabia. May Allah guide you to Islam.

S_87
03-11-2007, 11:09 AM

well jews have made trouble in saudi before so im not surprised they are banned :rolleyes: im talking recent not years ago either.

hope you have a nice time. :) i dont think your wife has to cover her hair but the black 'abaya' is required

abu abdurrahman
03-11-2007, 11:29 AM
I think its because they dont recognise the state of israel. for the same reason pakistan had no diplomatic ties with israel because they dont formally recognise them as a legal state.

:?

UmmSqueakster
03-11-2007, 01:53 PM
As far as I know, Saudia doesn't offer tourist visas. One of our local magazines recently ran a story about a couple who did go as tourists, but they had to have their friends there sponsor them as workers.

It was a very interesting read:

http://www.rakemag.com/stories/secti...electCatID=146

S_87
03-11-2007, 01:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Janaan
As far as I know, Saudia doesn't offer tourist visas. One of our local magazines recently ran a story about a couple who did go as tourists, but they had to have their friends there sponsor them as workers.

the govt is opening tourism. i think they opened last year :?

rania2820
03-11-2007, 02:06 PM
it depands what part of saudi you go to.in jeddah and riyadh women don't have to wear cover.

and jews are allowed in saudi arabia

ManchesterFolk
03-11-2007, 02:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Janaan

Don't tell the guy who let me in that then... :rollseyes

and jews are allowed in saudi arabia
Then why did I have to prove I was not Jewish?

Pk_#2
03-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Who was the guy who asked you?

maybe he has a grudge against jewish people..

tsk

jazakAllah sis janaan.

Peace. :)

S_87
03-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Peace

which part of saudi you going anyway? :D

Makky
03-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Having been all across the world, I have chosen Saudi Arabia as a place I want to go next. I have all the information and permission from the goverment to enter the country now, but it was a very big hassle. First I had to show proof that I was not a Jew. Jews are not allowed in Saudi Arabia which is complete religious discrimination, of course but anyway, that is not the point of me starting this thread.

What culturaul things should I know that would make visiting Saudi Arabia different from other countries I have been to. (Turkey and Jordan). Is my wife as a non-Muslim expected to cover up as well? What happends if she does not?
Few steps to islam?

nothing will happen in jeddah but in makkah and madinah you wont be allowed

snakelegs
03-12-2007, 10:52 PM

Then why did I have to prove I was not Jewish?
how does a person prove that they are not jewish?

Aisha!
05-24-2007, 03:47 AM
r u going for hajj

S_87
05-24-2007, 11:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha!
r u going for hajj

no hes not muslim

MF have you been yet? :)

aLiTTLeTiMe
05-24-2007, 12:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha!
r u going for hajj
he is not muslim sis :rollseyes

SH_ST
05-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Ok I'm from Saudi Arabia, I was born and been living there ever since. As for the Jews if they're allowed or not.. I know you might be surprised but I'm not quite sure, I've heard some tell me that they are not allowed, however some might come in with other religion in papers while they still practise their religion. I think the ones that are not allowed are Sikh's, yep I'm quite sure that they're not allowed, haven't seen any of them there before.

As for your wife, it depends on the city that you're going to. For example in Jiddah, even some Arabic and muslim girls at some places do not cover their heads. And there are like resorts where women do not cover at all. (Do not judge the whole population, these are individuals that I'm talking about). And as far as I know IF your wife was a Muslim they might stop her and just tell her to cover up, however I don't think the same goes for the non-muslims. Ofcourse all of that is regarding Jiddah and few other cities.

If you're going for tourism I advice you to visit Jiddah (my hometown) and El-Shargiyah, those are probably the best places to find shopping malls, entertainment...etc

Yeah also the shops closes at prayer times... just incase.

Ummm... yeah I would not advice you, if you're taking any pictures, to go and show up your camera in public in shopping malls or where families gather. People usually get uncomfortable with that, especially families. If you want to take picture of a certain family for example you might want to ask them first.

Don't know what else might be in use for you so if you'd be more specific on what kind of tourism or what kind of info do you want I'd be more than glad to provide you with whatever is it that I have.

HBot 5000
05-24-2007, 06:23 PM

TBH i don't think he is going. Just to make a purile statement +o(

If you truly are going then you will not be allowed to visit makkah or medinah. If you are jewish i would suggest you do not tell anyone your faith as you might not come back on one piece! :skeleton:

:w:

Helena
05-24-2007, 06:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by traveler
erm in saudi Arabia...Is proof needed to identify oneself if not jew?.....is this true?...why arent jews allowed? any valid reasons?

erm yeap....non muslims are not allowed to enter both makkah or madinah as its been clearly mentioned by brothers above.....

regarding ur wife covering up......depends where shes staying at?....am not sure at all....hope others can help inshAllah....
how come your going to Saudi Arabia?
IS THIS CLEAR TALHA777.......:offended:

Muezzin
05-24-2007, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
how does a person prove that they are not jewish?
I can think of one way, but it's a bit naughty.

On a more serious note, I'll give this thread a bit more time to answer the question in the first post. If it appears after that time that there is no definitive answer from someone who knows the laws, I'll probably close it.

Amadeus85
05-24-2007, 07:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

well jews have made trouble in saudi before so im not surprised they are banned :rolleyes: im talking recent not years ago either.

hope you have a nice time. :) i dont think your wife has to cover her hair but the black 'abaya' is required
Its not wise what you say. I could say similar thing- muslims made trouble in Europe so im not suprised that they are banned.

S_87
05-24-2007, 08:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
Its not wise what you say. I could say similar thing- muslims made trouble in Europe so im not suprised that they are banned.
Peace

saudi arabia is slightly different from europre, im not talking about the whole arab world im talking about the holy land, its a strictly 100% muslim country.

and why would a jew want to go there anyway? if i recall correctly its an israeli stamp thatd ban a person in the country, including muslims....

HBot 5000
05-24-2007, 08:44 PM

^lol drivel. I'm a british born european, i practice my faith openly. I know many brothers and sisters across europe that do the same! In which country are they banned? We even have a masjid in the heart of Rome!

Muslims do not make trouble. We are a peaceful bunch. Shall we blame all the christians for what is happening in Iraq? Afganistan? of from the past Algeria etc

:X

Amadeus85
05-24-2007, 09:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HBot 5000

^lol drivel. I'm a british born european, i practice my faith openly. I know many brothers and sisters across europe that do the same! In which country are they banned? We even have a masjid in the heart of Rome!

Muslims do not make trouble. We are a peaceful bunch. Shall we blame all the christians for what is happening in Iraq? Afganistan? of from the past Algeria etc

:X

I didnt say that muslims are banned in going to Europe, i just said what if they would be, just like Jews in entering Saudi Arabia?

As i know in Algeria in nineties during war between islamists and army 200 000 people died, so how you want to balme christians for that? The same in Iraq, shias killing sunnnis and vice versa. And in Afghanistan taliban attacks harm innocent civils mostly.

Muezzin
05-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Guys, can we not get sidetracked please? Unless somebody's got an answer to the question in the first post, it would probably be unwise to post anything on this thread, since it would get deleted, you'd get angry, I'd get a headache, yadda yadda yadda...

All this commotion would obviously contribute to both the Greenhouse and Butterfly Effects, resulting in melted ice cream cones in truly shaken Japanese high rises. I don't want that on my conscience. Do you?

Stay to the topic please.

HBot 5000
05-25-2007, 06:30 AM
I didnt say that muslims are banned in going to Europe, i just said what if they would be, just like Jews in entering Saudi Arabia?

As i know in Algeria in nineties during war between islamists and army 200 000 people died, so how you want to balme christians for that? The same in Iraq, shias killing sunnnis and vice versa. And in Afghanistan taliban attacks harm innocent civils mostly.

^lol you're joking right!? France is a christian state invaded algeria hence a christian war. Same argument with America and UK inavading iraq and afganistan, hence a christian war in which we should blame all christians should'nt we? Am i wrong? If so please don't blame all muslims for the actions of a small minority.

If one was to judge the actions of the west so far they would indeed think all Christians were hate filled warmongers.

Amadeus85
05-25-2007, 04:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HBot 5000

^lol you're joking right!? France is a christian state invaded algeria hence a christian war. Same argument with America and UK inavading iraq and afganistan, hence a christian war in which we should blame all christians should'nt we? Am i wrong? If so please don't blame all muslims for the actions of a small minority.

If one was to judge the actions of the west so far they would indeed think all Christians were hate filled warmongers.

France is secular country. In USA there is disconnection between church and state. And war in Iraq and Afghanistan wasnt motivated by religious goals, unlike 9/11 attacks or war in Algeria in nineties between army and islamists.

Muezzin
05-25-2007, 04:25 PM
Since this thread is going off on a tangent, and since the thread starter Manchester Folk hasn't posted on it for a long time, and since nobody has actually answered his question, I've decided to lock it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.