/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Going to hell for swearing

Chechen
03-10-2007, 10:00 PM
I heard somewhere that if you say bad words you go to hell for a certain time. Is this true? And for how long do you have to stay there?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
chacha_jalebi
03-10-2007, 10:10 PM
if you do anythin bad then you go to hell,:p unless you repent :D

and the length is only known to Allah (swt)

swearin is like bad manners innit, and islamicaly we should have good manners and a good speakin tone, like RasoolAllah (sal allah hu aleyhi wasalam) did :D

Chechen
03-10-2007, 10:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
if you do anythin bad then you go to hell :p

and the length is only known to Allah (swt)

swearin is like bad manners innit, and islamicaly we should have good manners and a good speakin tone, like RasoolAllah (sal allah hu aleyhi wasalam) did :D

Yeah that's true it's bad manners and impolite but if you really do you go to hell for every bad word you've said in life then you're gonna spend a pretty long time in hell:confused:

mohammed farah
03-10-2007, 10:17 PM
what if you swear when you were young and immature like say 14 15

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Chechen
03-10-2007, 10:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohammed farah
what if you swear when you were young and immature like say 14 15

Yeah that's true what if you were young and didn't realize? I don't know anything about it and that's why I would like to know if there's someone who knows more about this and could share with us.

chacha_jalebi
03-10-2007, 10:24 PM
well if you repent for your sins then inshallah all is good, RasoolAllah (saw) used to repent more then 100 times a day, and he didnt need to, cos he was the Prophet, but he still did it because he said he wanted to be grateful to Allah (swt), so we should also repent for our past sins and inshallah Allah (swt) will forgive us, Allah (swt) loves it when we repent to him :D

if you do bad sins when you was immature you should jus repent for them innit

Chechen
03-10-2007, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
well if you repent for your sins then inshallah all is good, RasoolAllah (saw) used to repent more then 100 times a day, and he didnt need to, cos he was the Prophet, but he still did it because he said he wanted to be grateful to Allah (swt), so we should also repent for our past sins and inshallah Allah (swt) will forgive us, Allah (swt) loves it when we repent to him :D

if you do bad sins when you was immature you should jus repent for them innit

Yeah if you think about it normally you should be forgiven but I heard you couldn't escape from that punishment lol i don't know I'm sort of confused

NoName55
03-10-2007, 11:24 PM
"According to most scholars, one of the reasons that Islam spread in the region of South-East Asia, to places like Indonesia and Malaysia was the fact that Muslim traders appeared to have excellent manners. There was no Jihad in Indonesia. We must also remember that the converse applies and that bad manners reflect badly on Islam."
The believers are naught else than brothers.
Therefore make peace between your brethren
and observe your duty to Allah that haply ye may obtain mercy.
There is no G-d but Allah the Kind and Merciful, and thanks be to Allah,
the lord of the Great Throne. We ask that you bring upon us your mercy
and the doors of your forgiveness, and protection from our own sins, and
forgiveness of our minor transgressions.

I declare that the Prophet of Allah ﷺ conveyed the message
we are witnesses to that reality

I believe that there is no G-d but Allah and that Muhammad ﷺ is the Prophet of Allah.

Allah is the one who should define our behaviour and tell us how to behave and that we should always obey Allah, as conveyed through the Qur'an and the actions of our Prophet ﷺ which form the basis of our Hadith.

I am a human, and I have flaws - So if I do make a mistake, I ask Allah to forgive me.

Just to give you some idea of how seriously Islam takes this issue manners, adaab, akhlaaq - whatever you want to call it, let's look at some sayings of the Prophet ﷺ.

The Prophet ﷺ, in Muwatta Imam Malik said `Verily, I was sent for no other reason, except to perfect the noble traits of character'' - one of the Prophet's goals, in fact, the primary mission was the perfection of how people behave - their manners.

The connection between Imaan and manners is also made clear by the hadith of the Prophet ﷺ which says that faith consists of seventy branches, the least of which is the removal of a treebranch blocking the road, and in another narration, sixty branches, and Hayaa' (manners, modesty, guarding of chastity) is a part of faith. So again, manners and behaviour are linked directly to Iman.

There are many other specific areas of manners that the Prophet ﷺ and the Qur'an went to great lengths to emphasise.

In the area of family, the Prophet ﷺ said:

The best of you is the best of you to his family, and I am the best to his family.

In the area of neighbours, the Prophet ﷺ said:
The angel Gabriel kept advising me about neighbours until I thought he would make him entitled to some part of the inheritance.

In speech, the Prophet (SAWS) said: Nothing is weightier on the scales of the day of judgement than his good behaviour. Allah treats a person who is given to loose and vulgar talk with displeasure.

Regarding backbiting, the Qur'an says:

(al hujuurat, verse 12) And do not backbite, would one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother; you would surely hate it (so you should hate backbiting).

Regarding parents, the Qur'an says:

say not even a word to them in contempt and don't repel them (al-israa verse 23).

In regards to controlling one's temper, the Prophet ﷺ says:

The strong man is not the good wrestler, but the strong man is he who controls himself when he is angry.

With regards to being forgiving and kind, the Prophet ﷺsaid to one of the Sahabah:

"You have two qualities which Allah (SWT) likes and loves; one is mildness and the other is tolerance''.

These are just some of the hadith and ayaht that cover different aspects of manners. These aspects of manners are linked with such high praise, and deviation from these manners is condemned.

To summarise this; there is one aspect that all of above sayings, have in common; and that is being considerate. What does it mean to be considerate? Once again, there are no better words on this matter than the words of the Prophet ﷺ:

"None of you will have true faith until he wishes for his Muslim brother what he wishes for himself''.

Being considerate; thinking about your brethren and what they are going through, and what impact your actions will have on them. It also, once again, emphasises the link between belief and action - that faith manifests itself in our behaviour toward our brothers and sisters.

Sadly, I don't see this in life.

For example, people will double park you, locking you in your place for hours on end, without showing any consideration.

When I go to Friday prayers, there are people yapping while the Imam is speaking, showing little or no consideration for either the Imam or the people trying to listen to the Khutbah.

You are probably thinking, "Yeah, those are minor thingss, he has gone overboard just to address a simple issue''.

But manners are not a little issue, why should you choose to adopt good manners, even if they apparently inconvenience you? The primary reason you should adopt manners is out of obedience to Allah and his Prophet ﷺ .

A number of scholars have said that Allah has not made anything Haram which benefits us, or allowed anything that hurts us. So we should have good manners even if we do not know why Allah ordered them, there are very good reasons for having good manners. So what are the possible reasons?
The first reason is that good manners are the best form of Da'wah. We all know the story of the person who was a neighbour of the Prophet ﷺ who used to dump rubbish on his doorstep. One day, the Prophet found no rubbish, so he asked about the person, only to find that he was sick. He then visited him and tried to make him feel better. As a result, the person became Muslim.

According to most scholars, one of the reasons that Islam spread in the region of South-East Asia, to places like Indonesia and Malaysia was the fact that Muslim traders appeared to have excellent manners. There was no Jihad in Indonesia.

We must also remember that the bad manners reflect badly on Islam.

Instead of being thought of as clean, decent, hygienic, well-mannered, mild, tolerant people; the image of Muslims is that they are loud-mouthed, unclean, dole-scrounging, violent and dodgy in their business dealings.

While a certain amount of this is media hype, it is also self-inflicted to a certain extent (not sticking to the Sunnah).

It is amazing how much one mild-mannered, polite Muslim can do to improve the reputation of Islam among his friends. We sometimes do not see the big picture. It is difficult to imagine for us that the lack of good manners could have drastic social effects. We think, "so what if people are not always 100 per cent polite to one another - it's not a major thing for me to inconvenience someone else for a few minutes, nobody will mind''. But things are not always that simple.

I am not an anthropologist, but you don't need to be one to understand that society in general is a complex thing, and that it is extremely sensitive to things that, to many, do not appear to be major. Good manners is one of these.

Let me give you an example from our modern times, and then we'll look at how Islam and this modern research are related.

Some of you may have heard of some interesting research on crime, called the "broken window'' effect. Two researchers did the following test.

They put one car in the poorer areas of New York, with the hood open. They put another car in a really affluent suburb in California. The car in New York got pulled to pieces within 24 hours. The car in California remained untouched for two weeks. Then one of the researchers smashed one window in the car and within a day, the car ended up like the one in New York.

The conclusion?

That by breaking the window on the car, they essentially marked the car as "neglected'' and thus people thought of it as "fair game'', even though it was in a good neighbourhood. Similarly, the authors concluded, if you allow little things to get away, like the breaking of windows, unless the window gets fixed very soon, all the windows get smashed.

So what? Well, three years ago, in New York, they got a new police commissioner. He decided to implement this idea, by ensuring that the police no longer just attack the big issues, the homicides, the car theft, the breaking and entering; but also the little things, like making sure streets were clean, fixing broken windows. The net effect? Crime rates in New York, formerly one of the world's crime centres, fell by almost one third in three years.

Why does this work? By taking care of the little things, you give people a sense of security, of what in Arabic we call "amanah''. Is this a new idea? No! If you look at the way Islam is structured, you will find that indeed this is a basic principle, that taking care of the "micro'' if you like, leads to improvement in the "macro''. In fact, in the Qur'an, Allah SWT is discussing what is said and Allah describes saying things without knowledge (in Surah Al-Nur) ``wa tahsabunahu hayyinan wa huwa 'indallahi 'atheem'' - you think of it as a light matter, while it is in the sight of allah, extremely serious.
Nowhere is this more apparent than in the area of manners. By taking what some people think is a little thing and emphasising it, manners lay the foundation for a civilised society, and create that sense of ``amanah'', of security, that make it possible for people to become better Muslims. People will feel more comfortable, they will be less irritable, they will be more relaxed and have more energy to worship, to improve manners. If you like, the broken window is the manners, the little things that we have ignored, and by doing something that appears irrelevant, like adopting good manners, it may have a much greater effect than we can probably imagine.
Thirdly, human nature is such that when we do actions, they reinforce our beliefs. When we make Du'a to Allah, is that for Allah's sake? Allah knows what we want, we don't need to tell him. But it is the act of asking Allah, it is a symbol of our devotion to Allah and acknowledging that He is the only one who can grant us what we ask for. By making Du'a, we are reinforcing this belief, and this is why the Prophet (SAWS) encouraged it, saying things like ``du'a is the brain of worship'' and ``Allah likes the slave who is constantly making du'a''.

Similarly, by adopting good manners, we reinforce in ourselves the notion of consideration for other Muslims; that we have a responsibility to other Muslims, whether it be simple manners, or helping them to fight for freedom from oppressors. We create among ourselves a sense of brotherhood. And we strengthen our faith.

So how do we improve our manners?

Imitation:

One way to learn how to do something is to pick a master at that particular thing and learn from him. And indeed in Prophet Muhammadﷺ we find that excellent example.

Qur'an says "La qad kaana lakum fi rasulillahi 'uswatun hasanah liman kaana yarju llaha wal yawmil aakhir wa thakara Allaha kathiran'' (Ahzaab, verse 21). Indeed you have in the messenger of Allah an excellent example for anyone who him who looks to Allah and the Final Day and remembers Allah a lot. And in another verse in Suratul Qalam: ``Wa innaka la'ala khuluqin atheem''. And you (ﷺ) are indeed possesed of awesome manners. Ai'sha (R.A.A) when asked about the behaviour of the Prophet ﷺ said that "Hisﷺ manners were the Qur'an''.
So we should study the manners of the Prophetﷺ and try our best to imitate them.

Consideration:
However, there may be situations where the Prophet ﷺdid not explicitly explain what we should do under particular conditions. In this case, the general rule discussed earlier applies, namely that none of us truly believes until he wants for his brother what he wants for himself. So before I undertake a particular action, I should always consider: Will this affect anybody else unduly? Who will I cause problems for by undertaking such an action?

Consultation:
The final way I think we can improve our manners is by advising each other. In the Qur'an, Allah says "Wal Asr, in...'' By the age, indeed man is in loss, except for those who Believe, and do good Deeds, and advise each other in the Truth, and advise each other in patience.
The Prophet ﷺ said: al-deen an-nasihah. Religion is advising one another. However, two things need to be clarified:
a:
The advice has to be given in the right way. You don't give advice in public in front of others; you give it in private - otherwise you embarass the person. It should be given as calmly and delicately as possible.

b:
The advice must be received correctly. You shouldn't get angry about this person offering you advice, rather you should be grateful to this person for taking the time to discuss with you something that is not easy for him to discuss; and taking the risk that you might grow angry with him.

Conclusion:
In conclusion, those of us who accept the Shahadah must also accept that that belief has consequences. One of the most important of those is in having good manners.

The benefits of good manners are many, three of which are important are da'wah, amanah and commitment to the Muslim community.

How do we improve our manners?

By imitating the prophetﷺ, by having consideration for others and consulting one another.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.