/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Shot man not connected to bombing

kadafi
07-23-2005, 07:19 PM

Police cordoned off a 200-metre area around the station

A man shot dead by police hunting the bombers behind Thursday's London attacks was unconnected to the incidents, police have confirmed. The man was killed in Stockwell Tube station in an incident described by Scotland Yard as a "tragedy".

Two other men have been arrested and are being questioned after bombers targeted three Tube trains and a bus.

Police have also raided a house in Streatham Hill, south London, in connection with the failed attacks.

'Horrendous consequences'

A Scotland Yard statement read: "We believe we now know the identity of the man shot at Stockwell Underground station by police on Friday 22nd July 2005, although he is still subject to formal identification.

"We are now satisfied that he was not connected with the incidents of Thursday 21st July 2005.

"For somebody to lose their life in such circumstances is a tragedy and one that the Metropolitan Police Service regrets."

Good response to CCTV plea
'They unloaded five bullets'

The statement confirmed the man had been followed by police from a house in Tulse Hill that was under surveillance.

His death is being investigated by officers from the MPS Directorate of Professional Standards, and will be referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

John O'Connor, former commander of the Met Police, told the BBC the consequences of the shooting were likely to be "quite horrendous".

He said he expected officers to face criminal charges, and other officers could even refuse to carry weapons.

But Shami Chakrabarti, director of human rights group Liberty, said it was too early to judge what the effects would be.

She called for a "prompt, comprehensive and independent investigation".

Arrests

Police announced on Saturday evening they have raided another property in south London.

Residents of the street in Streatham Hill, near Brixton, told how armed police ordered them to stay in their homes while they cordoned off the area.

There do not appear to have been any arrests.

Police arrested one man after a raid on a block of flats in Stockwell

Two men are still being held at Paddington Green police station, central London, in connection with Thursday's attacks.

The first man was arrested at around 1630 BST on Friday during a raid on a block of flats near to Oval and Stockwell Tube stations.

Eyewitnesses said he was led away with a woman and child.

The second man was arrested late on Friday night, also in the Stockwell area.

Both are being held under anti-terrorism legislation which gives police 14 days before they have to bring charges.

CCTV images

Scotland Yard said they had been contacted by over 500 members of the public following the release of CCTV footage of four suspects.

Detectives said they were hopeful of useful lines of inquiry coming from the calls and e-mails.

Three devices found after the failed bombings were the same size and weight as those used in the suicide attacks of 7 July, which killed scores.

The fourth was smaller, apparently contained in a plastic box. The same chemicals appear to have been used.

They targeted Oval, Warren Street and Shepherd's Bush stations and a bus in Hackney.

The Hammersmith and City line train was removed from Shepherd's Bush station on Saturday afternoon.

Transport for London said it hoped to have trains running on the line from Paddington to Hammersmith on Saturday evening.

bbcnews.com

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bittersteel
07-23-2005, 09:29 PM
sad that guy wasn't connected it seems but why did he run?

red
07-23-2005, 09:49 PM
"sad that guy wasn't connected it seems but why did he run?"

I don't think this is the real issue here. The real issue is what appears to be a "shoot to kill" policy on anyone who displays the physical features of a muslim (Beard/Hijab) or who is of "Mediterranean or Asian appearance". It is important that we are vocal in drawing this discussion out and highlighting this with those that we meet. Remember, Sir Ian Blears - Met Chief of Police - immediately after the shooting stated that this was linked to the recent events. It is deeply concerning to me that leading figures can make such statements before a thorough investigation has been carried out. Likewise, we as muslims, must refrain from making accusations or assumptions without verifying the facts. Another alarming aspect to this very unfortunate incident, has been the publics acceptance of this new execution style of policing. We know the side that the media will be on - already there are stories appearing in the papers that if anyone is convicted (police marksmen) as a result of this shooting, then the police will refuse to carry guns as they will not have immunity from prosecution. Remember the behaviour of the police during the hight of terrorism from ythe IRA - how many miscarriages of justice did we see?

We need to remember that we as muslims are the new media for the wider society. It is a big responsibility but one that must be undertaken - not only to secure our rights and refute what has now become an open attack on our islamic values and deen, but also because no one else will...

Wassallam

crazy
07-23-2005, 09:49 PM
man dis is really sad, he woz innocent! jus imagine wot his family are goin thru! so woz he a muslim? if so den does dis mean he died as a shaheed?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
someone
07-23-2005, 09:54 PM
This touched me deeply.....

TEH
07-23-2005, 10:36 PM
The guy was a 27 year old brazilian, probably an immigrant...

They followed him from his flat to the station, and then because he was wearing a baggy jacket, he could have been a potential suicide bomber, and so when he got to the station, they rushed him, and he ran, so they stoped and fired five bullets into his head, why you may ask? Because if he really was one, then even being shot once in the head, he may be able to press the trigger, and they need to be sure.

Now, fine they needed to do that, he shouldnt have run, but i mean, if he was an immigrant, his english would have been quite bad, and i mean, if you saw three white guys running up to you, would you just stand there? For all he knew they could be coming to kick the crap out of him. They followed him for half an hour to the station on an empty road, why didnt they just stop him there...

And now he had nothing to do with anything...

Halima
07-24-2005, 03:09 AM
If he didn't have anything to hide than why did he run? That's what made him look suspicious therefore the police shot him.

TEH
07-24-2005, 09:13 PM
If you saw 3 white guys running at you, i guess you would kinda run....

:D

NooralHaya
07-24-2005, 09:15 PM
word haha, i'd run. maybe he was guilty of something else, and thats why? Allahu alim, what matters is he was shot man. sympathies to the fam, even though they cant see this =)

TEH
07-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Absolutely...

:)

NooralHaya
07-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Man Shot in London was Brazilian
Source: BBC News

The family of a Brazilian man shot dead by police hunting the men behind London's attempted bomb attacks have told of their anger and disbelief.

Jean Charles de Menezes's grandmother said there "was no reason to think he was a terrorist."

Police expressed "regret" over the killing of the 27-year-old electrician at Stockwell Tube station on Friday.

But relatives say apologies are not enough as Brazil's foreign minister seeks an explanation from Jack Straw.

Their comments came after Scotland Yard confirmed Mr Menezes, who lived in Brixton, south London, was completely unconnected to the bomb attacks.

Elsewhere two men have been arrested after bombers targeted three Tube trains and a bus in failed attacks last Thursday.

Police also said a suspect package found in north-west London on Saturday may be linked to those attacks.

'Tragedy'

His family are struggling to come to terms with the circumstances surrounding Mr Menezes' death.

His cousin, Alex Alves Pereira, from London, told BBC Brasil's website: "Apologies are not enough. I believe my cousin's death was result of police incompetence."

Describing his cousin as a "person full of life" he said his cousin was "a victim of government's mistakes."

He told Brazil's O Globo television: "He does not have a past that would make him run from police."

Mr Menezes' grandmother, Zilda Ambrosia de Figueiredo, told Globo TV "there was no reason to think he was a terrorist".

"He was very easy going and very communicative with everyone."

In a statement earlier Scotland Yard said: "For somebody to lose their life in such circumstances is a tragedy and one that the Metropolitan Police Service regrets."

But Brazil's foreign minister Celso Amorim will be demanding further explanations when he meets the foreign secretary in London later on Sunday.

In a statement Brazil's government said it "looks forward to receiving the necessary explanation from the British authorities on the circumstances which led to this tragedy".

The shooting is being investigated by officers from Scotland Yard's Directorate of Professional Standards, and will be referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Mr Menezes' cousin Mr Pereira, said the 27-year-old was from the city of Gonzaga in Minas Gerais state, and had lived in London legally for at least three years.

The BBC's correspondent in Brazil, Tom Gibb, said Mr Menezes had lived for a time in a slum district of Sao Paulo and that could explain why he had run from the police.

He said: "The murder rates in some of these slums are worse than in a lot of war zones and that could explain why, when plain clothes officers pulled a gun on him, he may have run away."

Gésio César D'avila, a friend and colleague, said Mr Menezes had considered alternative transport after the failed attacks on 21 July.

"We were together on Thursday, and when we saw what happened, Jean said he wanted to buy a motorbike to avoid the tube," he said.

Surveillance

Mr Menezes had come out of a house in Tulse Hill, south London, which had been under police surveillance because of a suspected link to Thursday's attempted bombings.

Police said Mr Menezes clothing and behaviour added to their suspicions.

After leaving the house he caught a bus to Stockwell Tube, where officers told him to stop.

He then ran down an escalator and tried to board a train before being shot, witnesses say. Civil rights groups have called for a full inquiry.

Meanwhile Dr Azzam Tamimi, from the Muslim Association of Britain, told BBC News the police should review their procedures.

"It is human lives that are being targeted whether by terrorists or whether in this case unfortunately by people who are supposed to be chasing or catching the terrorists."

But the Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, said: "The police acted to do what they believed necessary to protect the lives of the public.

"This tragedy has added another victim to the toll of deaths for which the terrorists bear responsibility."

Suspicious package

A package was found by a member of the public in bushes in Little Wormwood Scrubs on Saturday morning.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "An initial examination suggests that the object may be linked to devices found at four locations in London on July 21."

Police said it would be subject to "detailed forensic analysis".

Police have also raided a house in Streatham Hill, south London, in connection with the failed attacks.

Meanwhile the News of the World newspaper has offered a £100,000 reward to catch the second wave of London bombers.

1: Witnesses report seeing up to 20 plain clothes police officers chase a man into Stockwell Tube station from the street
2: One person says the man vaulted the automatic ticket barriers as he made his way to the platforms
3: The most direct route is via this escalator or the staircase that sits alongside it
4: Police challenge the man but he apparently refuses to obey instructions and after running onto a northbound Northern line train, he is shot dead

sweeaysha11
07-24-2005, 09:36 PM
We should pray for our fellow muslim brothers and sisters who are put on test and trials, may Allah swt grant them sabr and may they be rewarded in Jannah Ameen.

minaz
07-24-2005, 09:38 PM
what about a prayer for this brazilian dude?

TEH
07-24-2005, 09:40 PM
May Allah forgive him...

NooralHaya
07-24-2005, 09:42 PM
ameen

imaad_udeen
07-24-2005, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TEH
If you saw 3 white guys running at you, i guess you would kinda run....

eh?

NooralHaya
07-24-2005, 09:47 PM
haha, explaining that would completely kill it.

TEH
07-24-2005, 09:48 PM
3 plain clothed police men, look like 3 white guys...

imaad_udeen
07-24-2005, 09:50 PM

So what are you saying about white people?

What is so bad about 3 white guys as opposed to 3 black guys or 3 hispanic guys or 3 Arab guysa running at you?

TEH
07-24-2005, 10:09 PM
LOL

well, if they had shaved heads, they would have all the markings of BNP followers...

Abubakar
07-24-2005, 10:15 PM

:sl: Brother

Do you know the skin colour of these Policemen?

:w:

TEH
07-24-2005, 10:20 PM
OK fine, you lot are getting serious about this, and yes, I read that the police officers were all white, having spoken to people who have spoken to the police also, who told me the same, but im not trying to be rasict at all...

imaad_udeen
07-24-2005, 10:33 PM
:sl:

I just don't like the idea that the officers skin color makes them more or less dangerous...

TEH
07-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Ever heard of the BNP bob ?

Abubakar
07-24-2005, 10:45 PM
OK fine, you lot are getting serious about this, and yes, I read that the police officers were all white, having spoken to people who have spoken to the police also, who told me the same, but im not trying to be rasict at all...

Where did you read this, because I have not?

What people have you talked to?

I did not suggest that you were TRYING to be racist.

Peace

Abubakar
07-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Ever heard of the BNP bob ?

Who is bob?

I know them very well.

Rumour has it that 1 in 5 of them has a brain cell!

Seriously, they are disaffected white guys in need of a good education.

Peace

TEH
07-24-2005, 10:51 PM
I have spoken to people who have spoken to commissioners of boroughs...

Abubakar
07-24-2005, 10:55 PM
I have spoken to people who have spoken to commissioners of boroughs...

:sl: Brother TEH

what are 'commissioners of boroughs' ?

I have seen nothing to indicate the colour of the Police Oficers skin in any reports.

Peace

TEH
07-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Wasalaamz bro...

LOL, they are hierachys within the police, and yeah, i was just guessing, they may have been blacks or asians, but I am guessing that they were all white...

Abubakar
07-24-2005, 11:09 PM
Wasalaamz bro...

LOL, they are hierachys within the police, and yeah, i was just guessing, they may have been blacks or asians, but I am guessing that they were all white...

So we don't know there skin colour.

Also there is no such rank in the British Police.

Peace

TEH
07-24-2005, 11:57 PM
ahh well sorry bro, perhaps i am mistaken about the rank, but i will find out and get back to you insha allah...

oh and bro, it said on the news that they were plain clothed, white police officers...

Abubakar
07-25-2005, 07:31 AM
ahh well sorry bro, perhaps i am mistaken about the rank, but i will find out and get back to you insha allah...

oh and bro, it said on the news that they were plain clothed, white police officers...

It is not whether they were white or not that was my main concern.

We are one deen if you lie, I lie.

I always think, what if it was me or my family some one was making up stories about in order to make a point.

Peace

NooralHaya
07-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Protest in Brazil after shooting

Relatives and friends of an innocent man shot dead by UK police on the Tube on Friday have marched in his home town in Brazil demanding arrests be made.
Jean Charles de Menezes, 27, was shot eight times at Stockwell station after he was mistaken for a suicide bomber.

Tony Blair has said he is "desperately sorry" but urged people to support the police in "difficult circumstances" in the wake of the London bombings.

The hundreds of protesters in Gonzaga said the apology did not go far enough.

The Landless Rural Workers' Movement said it would demonstrate on Tuesday in front of the British Embassy in Brasilia and the consulate in Rio de Janeiro.....

REST OF ARTICLE: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4714691.stm

Halima
07-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Salaam sister.

you know what the U.K police did was not very smart. Infact, it was the opposite of being smart. They were being stupid. Instead of running the man down like a bunch of animals instead they have scared him away. If they were smart police they would've approached him swiflty in a calm manner instead of like a bunch of wolves. Now, the U.K police have to pay the price and they don't have a reason for why they killed him they had actually killed a foreigner. so what can they say about that? nothing. Incoming the next few days they better not be surprised if there are more attacks.

TEH
07-26-2005, 08:09 PM
So lets say he was a suicide bomber, do you think what they had done would have been a bad thing???

minaz
07-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Don't souly blame the police, blame the 4 prats and their mates who brought terror to my capital

Halima
07-26-2005, 08:20 PM
lol...no because if he saw them running to him, his first impact would be to blow everyone up by pulling the device so then everyone surrounding him would be dead. So obviously he wasn't a suicide-bomber. :)

TEH
07-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Good point, but maybe, they could say he was looking for the most densely populated area...

minaz
07-26-2005, 08:26 PM
yeh get his "money's" worth

TEH
07-26-2005, 08:30 PM
certainly one way to put it...

Halima
07-26-2005, 08:33 PM
With him being dead, I don't think money will matter at all..lol

almuslima
07-26-2005, 10:18 PM
it is so wrong just to shoot someone dat dnt even hav a clue about da bombing and wats da point of shooting dis person 5 time.if i was a member of da police and i was so concerned with dis person runing and i feel really suspicious i would only shoot dis person on da leg once not twice only once just to check him den if he had anything i would arrest him.cuz if he had a bomb obviously it would be around his stomach so dey said shoot on da head 4 da bomb not to explode dat is wrong wrong shoot on da leg it wont kill it will injure da person but wat dey did dey shoot dat person five times i think on da head den try 2 get an emergence amblance 4 him.i mean why just why.wats is da point.

NooralHaya
07-26-2005, 10:33 PM
now theyre saying it was 8 shots.. anyone heard this?

minaz
07-27-2005, 07:07 PM
Seven in the head one in the shoulder

NooralHaya
07-27-2005, 08:08 PM
so it is 8? subhanAllah, howd they miss those other 3 the first time... ?

got an article about it ? or where i can get one? inshaAllah

Uthman
08-18-2005, 09:20 AM

I assume we have all heard the news that has recently surfaced?

The leaked documents contradict initial eyewitness reports suggesting Mr Menezes had hurdled a barrier at Stockwell Tube station and was wearing a padded jacket that could have concealed a bomb.

On the day of the shooting, Scotland Yard said that "his clothing and his behaviour at the station added to [the officers'] suspicions".

But the documents suggest Mr Menezes was wearing a denim jacket and walked into the station, picked up a free newspaper on the way and walked through ticket barriers.

It is suggested he only started to run when he saw a train arriving - and was sitting down on the train when he was shot.
The leak also suggests that the man was restrained before being shot.

mary
08-18-2005, 10:41 AM
U know what this is the most unfortunate event and biggest blunder that has occured in the Uk in connection to terrorism i think we will ever witness. Its a disgrace to this country! I really feel for his family...

Uthman
09-02-2005, 08:32 AM

Uthman
09-02-2005, 04:13 PM

You can all see that, right?

czgibson
09-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Hi Osman,

Yes, it's visible. (Private Eye is great, isn't it?)

The shooting of this poor Brazilian man is an absolute travesty. I can't understand how the policeman who shot him thought it was the only course of action open to him. The man was completely restrained, and this undercover officer thought it was an appropriate time for a head shot. Unbelievable.

His family have gone through an immense amount of unnecessary suffering, and they deserve every condolence.

Afterwards, the police decided to offer his family £15,000 by way of compensation. Again, unbelievable. As the dead man's grieving brother said "They thought we were poor, stupid people." It's a terrible way for the police to behave.

Now I'm sure the policeman responsible was highly trained, and not a wilful murderer - that's what makes it so difficult to understand. No-one's really given a decent explanation for why it happened. All we've heard so far is that the dead man had "similar eyes" to those of a known terrorist. The police need far more than that to go on before arresting someone, let alone shooting them.

This action has brought shame on the British police, and bewilderment to the public.

Peace

Halima
09-02-2005, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abubakar

Do you know the skin colour of these Policemen?

May I kindly ask what does skin color have anything to do with this? They can be purple, green or even blue!,all the colors of the rainbow. However, that does not give them the right of the matter to shot him.

Uthman
09-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Hi Callum,

format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
This action has brought shame on the British police, and bewilderment to the public.
Indeed, it has.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.