/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Accepting Money for Dawah Work?!

AnonymousPoster
03-11-2007, 12:27 PM
is there any info out there about accepting a payment for a dawah job?

I always thought it wasn't permissible to accept payment from Muslims Donations if you're able to do dawah jobs without suffering any serious cost issues.

And even if you do have running costs, wouldn't it be not permissible to make profit on the service you provide to a good dawah center (Assumign the income will be used for personal stuff)? Regardless whether what you're charging is a standard price or not in industry?

Yes Abu Bakr accepted payment from baytul maal, but wasn't that because he had no other source of Income? (Infact Umar barred him from running his own business so as not to cause disequillibrium in the economy.. a topic nicely explained by Ibn Khuldoon)

Thoughts please.. I've been nagged about this for a while and i really want to get to the bottom of this!

Jazakum allah khayr.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
anonymous
03-12-2007, 01:22 AM
me too i wonder about same thing.. anyone?

AnonymousPoster
03-13-2007, 09:26 AM
lol anyone?! please don't let this thread die away! :cry:

Lina
03-14-2007, 01:59 AM
:sl:

There are a lot of da'wah organisations which are being run like a business, or else they wouldn't get very far, would they? You need resources to get a good da'wah project of the ground, can you pay for this single handed?

It's not wrong to ask for donations wa Allahu A'lam but sometimes you really need to put a price on it (e.g cds, dvds) or else you won't get very far and won't reach more people.

Not everyone will donate money, even if they do, it might not be enough to cover your costs; as to your own private costs. You might run a da'wah project and at the same time not having any other resources, how will you live? What will cover your private costs?

It's important you have a pure intention as to giving da'wah Insha'Allah,

Example: Yusuf Estes, he gave people cds and asked for donations in return; guess what? Little to no one gave donations which didn't cover the costs
wa Allahu A'lam; this forced him to put a price on the cds.

I don't see any harm as long as you try to compensate your living and not making money of it and giving it a profit purpose.

Just my two cents,

You should ask someone with proper knowledge and can provide you with proper islamic back up Insha'Allah.

Wa Allahu A'lam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umar001
03-14-2007, 02:11 AM
I dont think you should be payed for doing da'wah.

Just as I dont think an Imam should be payed for taking that position, but I think the payment should be for the use of the person's free time.

allah-akbar
03-14-2007, 03:10 AM
can someone please give a brief definition for the term "dawah"!

Many thanks

AnonymousPoster
03-14-2007, 09:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lina

There are a lot of da'wah organisations which are being run like a business, or else they wouldn't get very far, would they? You need resources to get a good da'wah project of the ground, can you pay for this single handed?

It's not wrong to ask for donations wa Allahu A'lam but sometimes you really need to put a price on it (e.g cds, dvds) or else you won't get very far and won't reach more people.

Not everyone will donate money, even if they do, it might not be enough to cover your costs; as to your own private costs. You might run a da'wah project and at the same time not having any other resources, how will you live? What will cover your private costs?

It's important you have a pure intention as to giving da'wah Insha'Allah,

Example: Yusuf Estes, he gave people cds and asked for donations in return; guess what? Little to no one gave donations which didn't cover the costs
wa Allahu A'lam; this forced him to put a price on the cds.

I don't see any harm as long as you try to compensate your living and not making money of it and giving it a profit purpose.

Just my two cents,

You should ask someone with proper knowledge and can provide you with proper islamic back up Insha'Allah.

Wa Allahu A'lam.
Jazakilah khayr sis!

i totally agree, but, i'm referring to making a profit and not covering private costs.

i mean for example, if i'm duplicating discs for an organisation, and each disc costs 10 cents, but then i charge 15 cents under the pretence that "10 is to cover my cost, and 5 is to cover cost of my time" ins't that theivery?

but if you're strictly covering your cost of production (e.g. cost of cd) then yeh that's fine.... assuming your'e not able to give the CDs away as donation as well.

with full time dawah people like yusuf, then yes its different if he's charging a bit to cover his cost of living, but in the case of people who are qualified or in uni and getting funded already, i think its theievery to go and make profits on things that you could very well do for free.

It's also different if you're charging people with the intention of returning all that money back into dawah funds, but i'm against people using that money for pesoanl use..

allahu alam, watcha think?

-----

also bro alalhuakbar

dawah = work to please Allah and call other people to what is right. :)

Phoenix CG
03-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Well we're doing a da'wah project which is going to be in excess of 1.3 million GBP. We can't get that money alone from business.

lolwatever
03-14-2007, 11:43 AM
^ i dont think the bro/sis is referrin 2 collectin money 2 run dawah projects... i think they're referring to people asking to get paid from dawah money to make profit on "dawah" things they're doing :)

salamz

Lina
03-14-2007, 01:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester
Jazakilah khayr sis!

i totally agree, but, i'm referring to making a profit and not covering private costs.

i mean for example, if i'm duplicating discs for an organisation, and each disc costs 10 cents, but then i charge 15 cents under the pretence that "10 is to cover my cost, and 5 is to cover cost of my time" ins't that theivery?

but if you're strictly covering your cost of production (e.g. cost of cd) then yeh that's fine.... assuming your'e not able to give the CDs away as donation as well.

with full time dawah people like yusuf, then yes its different if he's charging a bit to cover his cost of living, but in the case of people who are qualified or in uni and getting funded already, i think its theievery to go and make profits on things that you could very well do for free.

It's also different if you're charging people with the intention of returning all that money back into dawah funds, but i'm against people using that money for pesoanl use..

allahu alam, watcha think?

Well, the reason stated above, I personally think is a legit way, because you're basically using the money solely for da'wah purposes.

But if you ask for a refund for your personal costs, the cost of the cds and your time with the intention of making profit and not returning it to the da'wah project and expanding; trying to reach more people or simply funding your da'wah 'organisation' then your simply trying to gain money instead of gaining understanding of the deen. Wouldn't that be a contradiction?
''practice what you preach''

Other than that, I really do not know.

Ask someone knowledgable Insha'Allah.

May Allah reward you for your efforts of inviting people to the deen Insha'Allah.

“And who is better in speech than he who invites people to Allah and does righteous deeds, and says: ‘I am one of the Muslims.’” [41:33]. The Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, has said: “Whoever guides (another) to a good deed will get a reward similar to the one who performs it.” (Muslims)

Wa Allahu A'lam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.