/* */

PDA

View Full Version : women staying married to their non-muslim husbands

Malaikah
03-12-2007, 08:08 AM
:sl:

I heard that in the time of the Prophet as well as the Caliphs, they allowed certain women to stay with their non-Muslim husbands even though the women had converted to Islam.

Is this true? Does anyone have any evidence of this?

Jazakallah khayr.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
03-12-2007, 08:38 AM

I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

I heard that in the time of the Prophet as well as the Caliphs, they allowed certain women to stay with their non-Muslim husbands even though the women had converted to Islam.

Jazakallah khayr.

--yap , i read about that few months back.

If any non-Muslim woman reverts to Islam , her husband should be allowed /granted time to accept Islam. So , it's not true that they must be seperated right at that moment.

Insha Allah , i will try to find that article....it was written by our revert sis. She gave few examples .....yak ...i forgot all the names. :cry:

here is a fatwa:

Name Sheikh Muhammad Ali Al-Hanooti
Profession Mufti
Subject Live Fatwa (General)

Q. Salaamu Alaikum,

I am a 44-year-old American woman, raised as a Christian. I converted to Islam about 6 months ago. My husband and I have been married for almost 26 years, and we have two grown children.

My husband has not converted to Islam, however he is fully supportive of me following the deen, in regards to dietary changes, wearing hijab, salat, sawm, etc.

He has also come to my defense many times with our oldest child, who is having a very hard time accepting my conversion.

I have been told by some sisters (online) that I must divorce my husband immediately, because a non-Muslim man is haram for a Muslimah, and that I may not take any part of our property or holdings (everything we own is joint, and so in effect all is his, I didn't have a dowry as it is not customary in the states, or with Christians), nor may I inherit anything from him.

I have also been told that our children are now considered illegitimate, although he is required to support them. (They will both be in college next year.)

According to these sisters, my conversion means that my marriage is null and I have become an adulteress in Allah's eyes. I have never felt so degraded. How is it I found the correct path to Allah, and yet end up in worse standing with Allah than I was before my conversion? Is this all true?

Answer

I feel sad for those ignorant sisters who don’t know anything of Islamic literature that deals with your story. Their ignorance makes a big damage for you, me or any Muslim.

1) You can stay with your husband until you can decide for something more appropriate and convenient for your psychological and Islamic life.
2) Your priority should be the betterment of Islam in your life and in your family. Who knows maybe your husband could accept Islam.

3) Everything of your marriage and children is legitimate. You are not committing adultery as you are staying with him for the time being.

4) I want you, after some three months, to write to us about any development or growth of your story. We want to be helpful and cooperative. You should not listen to any non-sense ignorant appeal.

http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa...GuestID=v1fc55

Malaikah
03-12-2007, 09:43 AM

Jazakillah khayr. Does that mean she is allowed to stay with him only temporarily?

They didn't cite any evidence either, I would really love to see the hadiths on this.

Muslim Woman
03-12-2007, 04:28 PM

Salaam/peace ,

Jazakillah khayr. Does that mean she is allowed to stay with him only temporarily?

They didn't cite any evidence either, I would really love to see the hadiths on this.

---what i understood is if there is no hope that husband will embrace Islam & if he prevents wife from praying , then she should leave husband .

Insha Allah , i will try to find the examples.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
03-18-2007, 09:22 AM
*bump* :?

malaka
06-22-2010, 04:05 AM
I am very interested in learning the answer to this too. I reverted to Islam back in February. My husband has not reverted to Islam and is actually an agnostic. He refuses to give me a divorce and has no interest in Islam. We have been married for almost 25 years and have been living separate for over a year now, so I have not had to worry about living in sin with him.

However, since he does not want to give me divorce and says he refuses to do so and that he will not allow me to leave, I am not sure what to do. I do not doubt that he loves me, but I no longer feel the same towards him as I did when we married all them years ago.

In desperation he even said that he would become Muslim, but I really do not feel as if I can trust him in this. Nor do I believe he has any true intentions of embracing Islam. He talks down towards Islam every time there is something negative in the media that Muslims are blamed for, quick to tell me look what you Muslims have done now. It is my feeling that if he became a Muslim it would be by word only, just so I would not divorce him.

I do not want to live in sin with him and I do not want to hurt him or continue to hurt him. We have 3 children, two of them grown one still a teen. I am finally back home with the kids since he is away, but now he says he will be back. I can't and won't live in sin with him, but fear that he will not respect my choice in that matter. How can we live in the same house and not be like husband and wife? How long do I give him to accept Islam. I have now been a Muslim for 4 and a half months. He knew I was studying Islam before I reverted and has knows I am now Muslim.

How long do I wait for him to become Muslim and then how do I know that he really is a Muslim if he tells me he is? If he tells me he is and does not follow Islam, then how long do I stay with him? How can I trust him. Our marriage was already in trouble when I left him over a year ago for employment reasons. How do I go on with my new life without him? What do I do if he won't allow me to move on with my new life? What about my kids? What if he harms me or them if I try to leave him? I really do not know what to do. Some say leave, some say try and see what happens. How long do I wait?

I do love him, I always will we spent the majority of our life together and have children together. However, I do not love him the way a wife should love her husband and do not know if I could ever get that back. Perhaps I could if he ever became a Muslim, only Allah knows. Right now I do not think I can.

Another problem with all of this is that I think I may love another, who is Muslim, but the two of us are not together and will not be together unless Allah wills this to be so. We are staying apart from each other, as temptation would be to great if we were together. Neither of us want to Allah to be angry with us, so we remain apart until Allah brings us back together.

I make duw'a to Allah to have a good Muslim husband that is strong in his deen and can help me grow in my deen and to become a good Muslimah that is pleasing to Allah. Whoever Allah chooses for me, I will accept and pray to Allah that I will be happy and content in what Allah gives me. That I will be able to accept who Allah chooses for me in this life and pray that, that I have a good Muslim Husband in this life and in the afterlife. A husband that loves Allah more than me and treats me kindly and with love and that I do the same for him in this life and the next.

Insha'allah, I will find the right one for this life and the next and all this confusion and hurt will go away. Not just my confusion and hurt but the hurt that my spouse feels, that my children and family may feel if my marriage ends, and anyone else that would get hurt. Allah is number one to me now and that is all that matters to me anymore.

Salahudeen
06-22-2010, 04:30 AM
It's hard living with a non muslim husband cos he will criticize everything you do, "Why you dressed like that for" "People are looking at you weirdly" "It's hot why you wearing full sleeve for" "you look like such a freak" "why do you wash yourself so much"

malaka
06-22-2010, 02:20 PM
He has already done these things and then as soon as he says something negative he quickly apologizes and then tells me he supports me and that it is not him, that it is everyone else that looks at me this way. Whenever he says or does anything that is negative towards me or Islam he blames everyone else. It is his way of not taking the blame. He has always had the problem of never accepting blame for anything. He says he will never allow me to go and that he will do anything to keep me that this is how much he loves me. What I fear though is that after 25 years it no longer is really love, that he thinks of me more as property or his possession. I fear what he is capable of doing at the same time I am afraid to just walk away. I tried walking away before I ever became a Muslim. Sure I love him, he is the father of my children, but we have nothing in common with each other. Our values or not the same and we in many ways are complete opposites in almost everything. It is just difficult to walk away after 25 years.

Who knows maybe he will change, Allah knows best. For now this is my jihad and I will see it through insha'allah with the help of Allah. I will one day return to the Muslim land that I had to leave insha'allah. Two of my kids are grown up, one will be old enough to be on his own in 2 more years. Insha'allah he will want to come back there with me. For now I do not have many choices. I just say alhamdu'allah that my husband is not home right now, but I do not know when he will return now that he knows I am home again.

glo
06-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Hello malaka

Can you try to unpick how much of your marital problems are to do with your conversion to Islam and how much is simply to do with the fact that after 25 years you have grown apart?

Why can you not simply divorce on the grounds that you have grown apart?
I don't know much about divorce laws. Do you have to mutually agree to a divorce under those circumstances?

My husband and I have been together for 24 years, and it is certainly true that our relationship is very different to what it was in the beginning.
We are less close in some ways, in the sense that whilst we share some interests, we have also developed our own areas of interest which we don't share.
On the other hand we are much close in other ways, gently trusting and knowing each other so well, and being at complete ease with each other.

What is it you are missing in your marriage?

I hope you find a peaceful solution, which meets your and your husband's and childrens' needs.

Ummu Sufyaan
06-22-2010, 04:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by malaka
He has already done these things and then as soon as he says something negative he quickly apologizes and then tells me he supports me and that it is not him, that it is everyone else that looks at me this way. Whenever he says or does anything that is negative towards me or Islam he blames everyone else. It is his way of not taking the blame. He has always had the problem of never accepting blame for anything. He says he will never allow me to go and that he will do anything to keep me that this is how much he loves me. What I fear though is that after 25 years it no longer is really love, that he thinks of me more as property or his possession. I fear what he is capable of doing at the same time I am afraid to just walk away. I tried walking away before I ever became a Muslim. Sure I love him, he is the father of my children, but we have nothing in common with each other. Our values or not the same and we in many ways are complete opposites in almost everything. It is just difficult to walk away after 25 years.

Who knows maybe he will change, Allah knows best. For now this is my jihad and I will see it through insha'allah with the help of Allah. I will one day return to the Muslim land that I had to leave insha'allah. Two of my kids are grown up, one will be old enough to be on his own in 2 more years. Insha'allah he will want to come back there with me. For now I do not have many choices. I just say alhamdu'allah that my husband is not home right now, but I do not know when he will return now that he knows I am home again.
i dont know what to say, since i don't know the rulings pertaining to your situation, but i commend you for your strength and courage....mashaAllah you seem like a strong sister. may allah ease your burdens and guide your husband or replace you with one who is better.

Muslim Woman
06-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Salaam Sis

Jazakallah khayr.
yes , I also read about it and posted in a thread , I have to find it out.

I pray that ur husband will soon accept Islam . If he does not and shows no genuine interest about Islam , then u can go to a Judge ( if possible to a Muslim Judge ) and explain the siutation . As ur religion does not allow u to live with a non Muslim husband, it should be enough to get a divroce.

May Allah grants what is good for u and gives u best rewards for all the pain you are going through.

Asiyah3
06-22-2010, 06:12 PM

Sister Malaka, I think it's best to contact a scholar insha'Allah. Masha'Allah for your strength and patience.

May Allah ease all your affairs, guide your husband and grant you happiness in both Worlds. Ameen.

malaka
06-22-2010, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Hello malaka

Can you try to unpick how much of your marital problems are to do with your conversion to Islam and how much is simply to do with the fact that after 25 years you have grown apart?

Why can you not simply divorce on the grounds that you have grown apart?
I don't know much about divorce laws. Do you have to mutually agree to a divorce under those circumstances?

My husband and I have been together for 24 years, and it is certainly true that our relationship is very different to what it was in the beginning.
We are less close in some ways, in the sense that whilst we share some interests, we have also developed our own areas of interest which we don't share.
On the other hand we are much close in other ways, gently trusting and knowing each other so well, and being at complete ease with each other.

What is it you are missing in your marriage?

I hope you find a peaceful solution, which meets your and your husband's and childrens' needs.
I would say that the majority of our marriage problems were before I ever reverted to Islam. It was not until I reverted that I even considered giving him another chance, but only if he does become Muslim, therefore everything in in Allah's hands. In which everything has always been and always will be in and by Allah's hands. I am placing my trust in Allah as Allah knows best. This has just been very difficult. Not me accepting Islam, that was a given. There is no God but Allah alone. La illah il allah.

Allah can bring us together if that is what Allah wants or Allah may have someone else in mind that I have never imagined or dreamed of that would be better for me in this life and the life to come. I pray that Allah will guide my spouse to the truth or give me a good Muslim husband that does love Allah more than me, but loves me and will treat me good.

AhmadibnNasroon
06-23-2010, 02:30 AM
This is not permissible, but there are some minor opinions that they can remain in the home for a period of time and some opinions state that the woman goes into 3iddah. There is a minor opinion she can remain with the husband period (I believe its a'Shawkani's opinion).....i'll look it up but its gonna take some time to gather all the information

If someone can help and post the explanation from Islamqa that would really help. I'm certain its there.

AhmadibnNasroon
06-25-2010, 01:50 PM
We put this question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen:

A woman says, I want to become Muslim, and my husband is good and I do not want to leave him. What should I do?

He answered:

“She has to leave him, but is it possible for her to call him to Islam? She could say, ‘I want to become Muslim, but if I become Muslim, the marriage will become null and void unless you become Muslim too.’ Hopefully if she says this to him, he will become Muslim too.’”

Question:

If she become Muslim, can she stay in the marital home while she calls him to Islam, or should she leave?

Answer:

“If she is hopeful that he will become Muslim, she can stay in the marital home until the end of her ‘iddah (waiting period following the dissolution of a marriage).”

Question:

Can she uncover herself (go without hijab) during the ‘iddah or not?

Answer:

“To be on the safe side, she should not uncover, because there is no certainty that he will agree to become Muslim.”

Question:

And she should not be alone with him?

Answer:

“And she should not be alone with him.”

Question:

If telling her about this could turn her away from Islam, is it permissible for us according to sharee’ah to conceal the second part of the answer from her, so that we could tell her, “Become Muslim first, then we will tell you about the ruling on staying with your husband”?

Answer:

“No, if we say this, and then we tell her about the ruling and she leaves Islam (becomes an apostate), this will make the problem worse. For this reason the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib, when he sent him to the people of Khaybar: ‘Call them to Islam and tell them what they have to do in the way of duties towards Allaah.’”

Question:

So now if she continues to live with him after she becomes Muslim she is guilty of a major sin (kabeerah)?

Answer:

“Yes that is the case, but she should not persist in zinaa (unlawful sexual relationship).”

Question:

Briefly, how should we answer her?

Answer:

“Tell her: Become Muslim, and know that if you become Muslim and your husband does not, the marriage will become null and void.”

When we are talking to women who will be faced with this issue, we should focus on the following points:

Giving priority to love for Allaah and His Messenger over love for anyone else.

If she is sincere in calling him to Islam and in praying for him, Allaah may guide him at her hands.

- Whoever gives up something for the sake of Allaah, Allaah will compensate him or her with something better.

Allaah will never forsake His slave who gives up something he or she loves for His sake.

When a woman like this becomes Muslim and leaves her husband, one of the Muslim brothers should come forward to marry her and take her children into his family, or good-hearted Muslims should undertake the responsibility of spending in charity on her and her children. We ask Allaah to guide us and grant us strength and help us to do the right thing. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.
Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/4036/

glo
06-25-2010, 03:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AhmadibnNasroon
We put this question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen:

A woman says, I want to become Muslim, and my husband is good and I do not want to leave him. What should I do?

He answered:

“She has to leave him, but is it possible for her to call him to Islam? She could say, ‘I want to become Muslim, but if I become Muslim, the marriage will become null and void unless you become Muslim too.’ Hopefully if she says this to him, he will become Muslim too.’”
From what I have learned in this forum, nobody should convert to Islam for any reason other than wishing to submit to Allah.
Trying to coax your husband into conversion in the way described above doesn't seem right somehow ...

Asiyah3
06-30-2010, 12:12 PM
From what I have learned in this forum, nobody should convert to Islam for any reason other than wishing to submit to Allah.
Trying to coax your husband into conversion in the way described above doesn't seem right somehow ...
Peace Glo,

The husband would not become a Muslim for the sake of his wife. See Yusuf Estes and his wife masha'Allah. When his wife told him that a Muslim woman cannot stay with a non-Muslim man and the marriage would become null and void, he started to pray for guidance from the Creator SWT. Allah, All-hearer answered his prayers and guided him to the true religion, the religion of all messengers (peace be upon them).

glo
06-30-2010, 04:54 PM
I didn't realise that Yusuf Estes' wife became a Muslim first, and that he converted to Islam after she told him that she could not remain married to him.

I understand that you are emphasizing the importance of God's guidance in this matter, but I expect that when you fear you may loose your spouse because of her conversion to Islam, it might be quite difficult to discern what is God's guidance and what is your own heart/emotion/desire speaking ...

Just my own thoughts, of course.
I have not been in such a situation myself ...

Ramadhan
07-05-2010, 09:58 AM
I didn't realise that Yusuf Estes' wife became a Muslim first, and that he converted to Islam after she told him that she could not remain married to him.
I'm 100% sure you will find his story embracing islam very very interesting, and funny at times.
He is very engaging when telling his stories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpd-Ek1-RRc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg54V...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNeCR...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tc_Z...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EFAa...eature=related

tango92
07-05-2010, 10:59 AM

I understand that you are emphasizing the importance of God's guidance in this matter, but I expect that when you fear you may loose your spouse because of her conversion to Islam, it might be quite difficult to discern what is God's guidance and what is your own heart/emotion/desire speaking ...

Just my own thoughts, of course.
I have not been in such a situation myself ...
Allah swt guides us through miracles, the rest is just a trial. as a christian i cant expect you to understand that though.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.