/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tahajjud Prayer

Tanya Khan
03-12-2007, 08:47 AM
My friend told me to pray this like half an hour or an hour before Fajar namaz. What are the benefits Tahajjud? I told her about my situation and that i'm really depressed and i'm losing hope. She told me this is the most effective prayer and is very good.

Although she did warn me that she prayed for something through Tahajjud but her Dua wasn't kabool. I'm thinking of trying it, she said while doing neeyat think of the Dua your praying for and also make the Dua effective after namaz, does that mean repeat the Dua after finishing the prayer? :-[

I asked her if I can pray for more things than one, and she said it's only for one particular thing you want, not for lots of things. Although she did say I could pray for something else after every 2 Nafl namaz. Is that true?

Sorry also one more thing, can someone explain to me what Faal means?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IceQueen~
03-12-2007, 09:42 AM
The prophet (saw) said:
"O people, spread the salutations, feed the people and keep the ties of kinship, and pray during the night while others are asleep and you will enter paradise in peace." (Al-Hakim, Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah)

"Observe the night prayer, it was the practise of the righteous before you and it brings you closer to your Lord, and it is penance for evil deeds and erases the sins and repells disease from the body."

"...know that the honor of the believer is in the night prayer and his glory is being free from want from the people."

It is best to delay this prayer till the last third of the night -the Prophet (saw) said "Our Lord descends to the lowest heaven during the last third of the night, inquiring: 'Who will call on Me so that I may respond to him? Who is asking something of Me so that I may give it to him? Who is asking for My forgiveness so that I may forgive him?'" (Related by The Group)

Prophet (saw) said " ...Prayer in the inviolable mosque is equal to 100 000 prayers (elsewhere), and prayer in the battlefield is equal to 1 million prayers (elsewhere). But what is more than all of that is 2 rakat by a slave (of Allah) during the middle of the night." (reported by Abu ash-Shaikh, Ibn Hibban in his work ath-Thawab)

(some of the hadith don't have references but they are all taken from Fiqh-us-Sunnah by As-Sayyid Sabiq if anyone wants to refer to them there)

Tanya Khan
03-12-2007, 10:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IceQueen~
The prophet (saw) said:
"O people, spread the salutations, feed the people and keep the ties of kinship, and pray during the night while others are asleep and you will enter paradise in peace." (Al-Hakim, Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah)

"Observe the night prayer, it was the practise of the righteous before you and it brings you closer to your Lord, and it is penance for evil deeds and erases the sins and repells disease from the body."

"...know that the honor of the believer is in the night prayer and his glory is being free from want from the people."

It is best to delay this prayer till the last third of the night -the Prophet (saw) said "Our Lord descends to the lowest heaven during the last third of the night, inquiring: 'Who will call on Me so that I may respond to him? Who is asking something of Me so that I may give it to him? Who is asking for My forgiveness so that I may forgive him?'" (Related by The Group)
Prophet (saw) said " ...Prayer in the inviolable mosque is equal to 100 000 prayers (elsewhere), and prayer in the battlefield is equal to 1 million prayers (elsewhere). But what is more than all of that is 2 rakat by a slave (of Allah) during the middle of the night." (reported by Abu ash-Shaikh, Ibn Hibban in his work ath-Thawab)

(some of the hadith don't have references but they are all taken from Fiqh-us-Sunnah by As-Sayyid Sabiq if anyone wants to refer to them there)
Roughly what time is 'last third of the night?

Snowflake
03-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Hope this helps sis. You can also make salatul hajat for the fulfilment of your needs. http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...FatwaE/FatwaE&

Recommended time for Tahajjud

Tahajjud may be performed in the early part of the night, the middle part of the night, or the latter part of the night, but after the obligatory salatul `Isha’ (Evening prayer).

While describing the Prophet’s way of performing prayer, Anas said: "If we wanted to see him praying during the night, we could see him praying. If we wanted to see him sleeping during the night, we could see him sleeping. And sometimes he would fast for so many days that we thought he would not leave fasting throughout that month. And sometimes he would not fast (for so many days) that we thought he would not fast during that month." This is related by Ahmad, al-Bukhari, and an-Nasa'i.

Commenting on this subject, Ibn Hajar says: "There was no specific time in which the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) would perform his late night prayer; but he used to do whatever was easiest for him."

Best time for Tahajjud

It is best to delay this prayer to the last third portion of the night. Abu Hurairah quoted that the Messenger of Allah, as saying: "Our Lord descends to the lowest heaven during the last third of the night, inquiring: 'Who will call on Me so that I may respond to him? Who is asking something of Me so I may give it to him? Who is asking for My forgiveness so I may forgive him?"'This is related by the group.

`Amr ibn Abasah reported that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) saying: "The closest that a slave comes to his Lord is during the middle of the latter portion of the night. If you can be among those who remember Allah, the Exalted One, at that time then do so."

The number of rak`ahs to be performed during Tahajjud

Tahajjud prayer does not entail a specific number of rak`ahs which must be performed nor is there any maximum limit which has to be performed. It would be fulfilled even if one just prayed one rak`ah of Witr after the `Isha’.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tanya Khan
03-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Roughly what time is 'last third of the night?'

I prayed Tahajjud just before Fajar for the first time but I don't know itf I prayed it correctly. i've never prayed it before, I prayed 16 rakaah's of nafal,(2 Nafal rakahs aajat, at a time) and I prayed for somethng different after each 2 rakaaahs of nafal. I didn't read Witr at the end of Tahajjud like it says on some website that you have to. Did I pray it correctly??? :-[
Please tell me I did as I woke up at 4am.
The websites are not making sense someone help me please?

Maimunah
03-12-2007, 11:16 AM
its roughly about 2 hours before fajr. i think its 11 rakaa'ats. 2 in each n one final witr.

:w:

Tanya Khan
03-12-2007, 11:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ruwaydah
its roughly about 2 hours before fajr. i think its 11 rakaa'ats. 2 in each n one final witr.

Oh no, that means I prayed it wrong :-[

I missed out the witr, I prayed 16 rakaahs NAFAL and I prayed it just before fajr..... GREAT! :raging:

Snowflake
03-12-2007, 11:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tanya Khan
Roughly what time is 'last third of the night?'
Fajr starts at 4.50am.. so about 3ish is OK.

I prayed Tahajjud just before Fajar for the first time but I don't know itf I prayed it correctly. i've never prayed it before, I prayed 16 rakaah's of nafal,(2 Nafal rakahs aajat, at a time) and I prayed for somethng different after each 2 rakaaahs of nafal. I didn't read Witr at the end of Tahajjud like it says on some website that you have to. Did I pray it correctly??? :-[
Please tell me I did as I woke up at 4am.
The websites are not making sense someone help me please?
I getting different accounts from different sites. so I'm just as confused as you are. Sorry. Don't take my word for it but I think the least number of rakahs you can pray is two. :confused:

Also Tahjjud is prayed after having had some sleep. I don't know if one can pray it if they've been up all night. :?

Our Lord Grant us increase in Knowledge {Surah Taha:114} Ameen.

Musalmaan
03-12-2007, 11:45 AM
:sl:

some very detail & valuable info. regarding tahajjud @
http://www.alinaam.org.za/library/tahajjud1.htm

an imp. extract from it

THE CORRECT TIME FOR TAHAJJUD

The time of Tahajjud extends from the time of Isha until SUBHE SADIQ [true dawn]. Ahadith related from Hadhrat Aa'isha [radhiyallahu anha] state that Nabie [salallahu alaihi wasallam] sometimes performed Tahajjud in the early portion of the night and on occasions when half the night had passed. However, towards the latter part of his life he frequently performed it in the last portion of the night. As the night progresses, Allah Ta'ala's Mercy and Blessings increase. Hence, the last sixth of the night is most preferred. [Maktoobat Shaikh ul Islaam 77 p 202 - Fatawa Rahimiya vol 2 p 376]

DUA TO ASSIST ONE IN AWAKENING FOR TAHAJJUD

A person remarked to Abdullah bin Abbas [radhiyallahu anhu], "I always intend awakening in the last portion of the night to perform Salaat but sleep overpowers me." Ibne Abbas [radhiyallahu anhu] replied, "Before sleeping recite from "QUL LAW KAANAL BAHRU MIDADAL..." to the end of Surah Kahf. Allah Ta'ala will waken you at whatever time you intend rising." [Tha'labi-Ma'ariful Quraan vol 5]

NUMBER OF RAKAATS IN TAHAJJUD

The number of rakaats performed by Nabie [salailahu alaihi wasallam] varied according to the prevailing circumstances. Although on certain occasions sufficient time was available, Nabie [salailahu alaihi wasallam] would perform less rakaats reciting lengthy Qiraat.[Khasa'ile Nabawee p 156]

Deducing from the various narrations four to twelve rakaats in units of two or four have been recommended. [Imdaadul Fatawa vol 1 -Baab finnawaafil / Maraqiyul Falah], However if two rakaats are performed in the prescribed time it will be regarded as Tahajjud.[Raddul Mukhtaar vol 1 p 715]

Tanya Khan
03-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Thank you for the replies. :)

Even though I read it wrong without knowing, do you think my effort for waking up to pray for Tahajjud is still counted for something? :-[

Are there any certain days which are good to pray Tahajjud?

It says pray Witr at the end of the Nafal prayers, do I pray 3 Witr just like I would with Isha namaz?

Sorry, i'm still very confused??? :X

Snowflake
03-12-2007, 01:37 PM
=Tanya Khan;682095]Thank you for the replies. :)

Even though I read it wrong without knowing, do you think my effort for waking up to pray for Tahajjud is still counted for something? :-[
InshaAllah, Allah subhana watala doesn't hold us accountable for mistakes we make unknowingly. May Allah rewards your efforts.

Are there any certain days which are good to pray Tahajjud?
any day, preferably every day :)

It says pray Witr at the end of the Nafal prayers, do I pray 3 Witr just like I would with Isha namaz?

Sorry, i'm still very confused??? :X
A method explained by Umar (ra). The Prophet (PBUH) performed 8 rakahs of salah al tahajjud of four salams. Then he performed 1 rakah salah al witr.

There are other methods but this site won't lemme copy or even give a link. :-\

Tanya Khan
03-12-2007, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
InshaAllah, Allah subhana watala doesn't hold us accountable for mistakes we make unknowingly. May Allah rewards your efforts.

any day, preferably every day :)

A method explained by Umar (ra). The Prophet (PBUH) performed 8 rakahs of salah al tahajjud of four salams. Then he performed 1 rakah salah al witr.

There are other methods but this site won't lemme copy or even give a link. :-\
How do you pray ! Rakah Witr? Does that mean you only go down once and then stay down and read Atta hi yato.... etc? Which part does Dua 'Qunnut come'?

You don't know how confused I am right now, I'm starting to get really frustrated. I just want to pray so my depression goes away and I feel like praying Tahajjud is my only chance, if I'm still depressed after that, then I have no hope.

Snowflake
03-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Sis can you ring your local mosque? Ask the imaam to explain to you and he can also answer any questions you have. :)

Camomilla
03-12-2007, 02:25 PM
:sl:
can somebody tell me what does kabool and namaaz mean:?
I pray saatul'layl every night( 1:00 or 2:00):X, does that count?...
Is Tahajjud Prayer 11 rakaat, coz I didn't quite understand:-[

Tanya Khan
03-12-2007, 02:36 PM
So no one knows what Faal means?

- Qatada -
03-12-2007, 02:53 PM
:salamext:

Sister, make as much dua's as you want at that time. Allaah wants you to pray to Him. And i think its 11 raka'ah for tahajjud. Allaah knows best.

Tanya Khan
03-12-2007, 03:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

Sister, make as much dua's as you want at that time. Allaah wants you to pray to Him. And i think its 11 raka'ah for tahajjud. Allaah knows best.
Are you sure? My friends said it is only for a special something that you want, not for all the usual things we pray for...

Please confirm it for me as I will be very happy if I can pray for as many things as I want. :)

Tanya Khan
03-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Sorry another thing, my friend has just told me that I did pray Tahajjud properly. She said you only pray Witr with Isha and you don't pray Witr with Nafal???

She also mentioned that it's not 11 rakaahs as you pray 2 rakaah nafal at a time, so it has to be an even number??? SO WHO IS CORRECT? THE WEBSITES I'M CHECKING ARE EVEN MORE CONFUSING?

MinAhlilHadeeth
03-12-2007, 04:29 PM

Sis see these links for some info on tahajjud aka qiyaam al-layl.:)

http://www.ahya.org/amm/modules.php?...ticle&artid=83

http://www.ahya.org/amm/modules.php?...ticle&artid=89

blessed_80
03-12-2007, 07:30 PM
AOA....from the way that my mom taught me you can even say two nafil for tahajjud and do the niyat for Salat ul Hajjat...I think it just depends on how much you can pray easily and with proper concentration and intention....also i think alot of people pray their witr after saying their nafil for tahajjud instead of saying it with their isha namaz....so that is one way of doing it but if u think that in some way u might miss out on saying the witr because u might now be able to wake up then u can say the witr with isha and just say your nafil at the time of tahajjud...i hope this makes sense...i'm not quoting this from anywhere just what i have seen and experienced....just say your prayers with the right intention and just leave it upto Allah(swt) to accept your prayers and your duas...inshallah everything will be fine....

noodles
03-13-2007, 01:56 AM
Alright I assure you I had this same problem.

You can read as little as 2 rakats for tahajjud. And as many as 10 rakats, or more. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As for witr, there are 2 ways of reading witr. most imams, just read 3 rakat witr, where the dua qunoot comes in the 3rd rakaat.

But the other way of reading witr is the one rakaat method. Where your read surah fatihah and then another surah of your choice. Then you go into rukuh. When you come back from rukuh you hold your hands (dua style) into the air and read the dua then. After you finish, go do 2 sajdahs and follow it by reading the (itahiyatuh lillahi...) and then the duroodh and then the salaam.

The last one is how my mother reads it. She said its another way of reading the witr prayer.

Snowflake
03-13-2007, 07:37 AM
can somebody tell me what does kabool and namaaz mean
kabool = accept/accepted
namaz = salah

format_quote Originally Posted by Tanya Khan
So no one knows what Faal means?
as far as I know faal is the technique used to see the future. It consists of numbered diagrams which you close your eyes and put your index finger on. Then match the number/letter to a list giving the results. As far as I know this technique is forbidden. Allah knows best.

Faal also means deeds. I'm thinking faal-nama (account/book of deeds).

Tanya Khan
03-13-2007, 09:59 AM
After reading all the replies for Tahajjud, i'm even more confused LOL :D

Sorry, it's just that everyones giving me different answers, and I just asked someone who is quite religious, but she gave me a totally different answer aswell.. lol.

I asked her about praying Witr with Tahajjud, but she said it's optional that I don't have to do it :?

She also said I you can't pray 1 rakaat for anything, it's only 2/3/4 :?

Do you think if I just pray Tahajjud the way i've been taught it, Allah (swt) will except it :?

Tanya Khan
03-13-2007, 10:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
kabool = accept/accepted
namaz = salah

as far as I know faal is the technique used to see the future. It consists of numbered diagrams which you close your eyes and put your index finger on. Then match the number/letter to a list giving the results. As far as I know this technique is forbidden. Allah knows best.

Faal also means deeds. I'm thinking faal-nama (account/book of deeds).
Oh no is it? When i was talking to a friend about my problems she told me I should read Durood Sharif either 1-3-5 times (odd number) with the Qu'ran closed, then she said while your opening the Qu'ran, keep readin Durood sharif and randomly open up a page from it. She then said, flick through 7 pages, then count down 7 lines and read the english translation, she said you will find out why things are going wrong in your life.

She said she did it as they were having so many family problems and nothing was going right for them, she said it really does work and that she didn't like what she found out, that it was very true what was written about her family history, she said it was really freaky.

She told me to do this because I was asking her if I should consult an Imam as nothing is going right for me, she said why would you want to find out from imam, when the Book has been sent down to you. That's why i'm surprised you said it's forbidden. I don't know if I should do it know :?

Tanya Khan
03-14-2007, 11:37 AM
No answers :?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.