PDA

View Full Version : Preparing The Youth For War...



NobleMuslimUK
03-13-2007, 02:11 AM
Hollywood has for decades come out with material that is totally unsuitable for children, yet the rating deems it as appropriate. Children are very curious things they will still go for stuff that will bring them something new, something they haven't seen before, this is also a lot to do with short attention spans these days. Its become about a quick fix with everyone.
This tragedy deepens, as games have become ever so popular, their popularity is due to the games imitating life so well, this artificial reality is given a tweak with online playability and interaction.
Gears of War is the most popular game on the XBOX 360, this game deals with two issues, a war like scenario and total carnage in terms of violence content. These type of games are usually by America instead of Japan. I play this game online and I am an adult, but there are so many kids playing this game, a kid can easily become ambitious about joining the army when they grow up.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Count DeSheep
03-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
Hollywood has for decades come out with material that is totally unsuitable for children, yet the rating deems it as appropriate. Children are very curious things they will still go for stuff that will bring them something new, something they haven't seen before, this is also a lot to do with short attention spans these days. Its become about a quick fix with everyone.
This tragedy deepens, as games have become ever so popular, their popularity is due to the games imitating life so well, this artificial reality is given a tweak with online playability and interaction.
Gears of War is the most popular game on the XBOX 360, this game deals with two issues, a war like scenario and total carnage in terms of violence content. These type of games are usually by America instead of Japan. I play this game online and I am an adult, but there are so many kids playing this game, a kid can easily become ambitious about joining the army when they grow up.
Sooo...You're calling us stupid because some people younger than you play a game, and you play it too...That about right?

Now I ask:
1. Roughly how many young people play online games?
2. Roughly how many young people are mass murderers or become soldiers?

I've always played "violent" games and watched it on TV. Many people do. But very few people will become soldiers, and those that do don't do it because they played a game.
Reply

NobleMuslimUK
03-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Count DeSheep
Sooo...You're calling us stupid because some people younger than you play a game, and you play it too...That about right?

Now I ask:
1. Roughly how many young people play online games?
2. Roughly how many young people are mass murderers or become soldiers?

I've always played "violent" games and watched it on TV. Many people do. But very few people will become soldiers, and those that do don't do it because they played a game.
I am not calling anyone stupid, I love playing violent games, but it will affect someone playing in their teens in a different way being exposed to all that violence.
Reply

Keltoi
03-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Playing and watching violent media may cause people to become apathetic to violence, including real violence, which is bad. However, I don't think these things necessarily make one want to join the military. The military is about discipline and service...not something the youth of today seem too concerned about.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
iqbal_soofi
03-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Keltoi
Playing and watching violent media may cause people to become apathetic to violence, including real violence, which is bad. However, I don't think these things necessarily make one want to join the military. The military is about discipline and service...not something the youth of today seem too concerned about.
Playing violent games doesn't make children violent. It only sharpens their skills and gives them opportunity to learn how to defend themselves against different tactics. In fact, it's the sentimentalism which makes people stupid or violent. Even a mentally retarded or a person with less than an average intellegence could easily motivate very wise and educated people into a violent and wild crowd just with one sentimental slogan. I assure you that all those people who do a lot of destruction on roads and damage public property and kill their own people and look like mad elephants are those people who are against playing any kind of games let alone the video games.
Reply

Count DeSheep
03-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
I am not calling anyone stupid, I love playing violent games,
Muslim...love playing violent games...eh? :exhausted

but it will affect someone playing in their teens in a different way being exposed to all that violence.
I'm living proof that you're wrong. The games I own are Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, Mercenaries...the list goes on. I've killed thousands upon thousands of people in the video game world. Yet I've killed no one in the real world. I'm not some blood thirsty psycho.

There are those that go crazy and kill people after playing a violent game, yes. Some admit that they knew what they were doing, others hide behind Halo and games like it, and then there are the people that are genuinely impaired. Age is irrelevant. People that know what they're doing in a game know what they're doing in real life.
Reply

NobleMuslimUK
03-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Clearly you are ignoring the psychological implications here, yes you may become desensitized to violence in general, but that surely disrupts the chemical balance in the brain. Its not just the fat kids anymore, games have everything and the amount of interaction has seen some new breakthroughs, so the target market is now ever wider than before. Its easier to convince kids to buy.
Reply

Count DeSheep
03-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
Clearly you are ignoring the psychological implications here,
The ones you made up 5 seconds ago?:?

yes you may become desensitized to violence in general, but that surely disrupts the chemical balance in the brain.
What? Since Veggie Tales, Spongebob, and Barney are the opposite of violence, I must assume that the chemical balance in the brain would be disrupted by watching those shows. They are a threat to society.

Its not just the fat kids anymore,
What about the fat kids? :raging:

games have everything and the amount of interaction has seen some new breakthroughs, so the target market is now ever wider than before. Its easier to convince kids to buy.
Easier to convince adults, too, especially since they're the ones with the jobs and thus the money. Funny that you ignore that part.
Reply

Fishman
03-13-2007, 08:11 PM
:sl:
Violent video games do little to prepare people for war, they just give you the illusion that you are so uber that you can just walk into a hail of bullets, destroy the enemy and come running out again to shoot some more people. If you took even a single bullet in real life you certainly wouldn't be fit to fight for quite a while.
:w:
Reply

Muezzin
03-13-2007, 08:25 PM
It's really funny when people say/imply that videogames make people violent as if the games are inherently evil or something. It's just as crazy as when people try to blame the actions of terrorists on Islam as a whole.

I do accept, however, that games can desensitize people. It's important to remember that books and films also depict violence. Heck, the right book can change you in all the wrong ways... Crucially, though, we wouldn't ban books.
Reply

Count DeSheep
03-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
Heck, the right book can change you in all the wrong ways... Crucially, though, we wouldn't ban books.
:enough!: :enough!: :enough!:

WHY can't anyone say that on my gender segregation thread...>.< It's the same thing! >.<!!!
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-19-2015, 05:55 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 08:04 AM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 05:11 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2007, 08:52 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2006, 02:19 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!