/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to pray witr

DAWUD_adnan
03-13-2007, 05:22 PM
How, do i pray witr? i know its three rakaa's after isha, but if i do that do i still need to do the 2 raká's of sunnah? or is it included?

also when do i recite the Qunoot? MUST i do this or is it mustahab?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Lina
03-13-2007, 11:11 PM
:sl:

`Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Messenger of Allah sallah Allah alayhi wa sallam observed Witr prayer in every part of night at the beginning, middle and at the last part. He sallah Allah alayhi wa sallam, however, would finish his Witr prayer before dawn.
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

This Hadith tells us the timing of Witr prayer. Its earliest time is soon after `Isha' prayer and its time is just before dawn.

It is performed either after sunnah prayers that follow ‘Isha if one is finished praying until the morning; or after Tahajjud if one rises in the last third of the night for remembrance and salah.

If you are able, you may recite Surah A‘la (the 87th surah) in the first rak‘ah, Surah Kafirun (109) in the second, and Ikhlas, Falaq and Nas in the third.

Witr, like all nafl prayers, is prayed in pairs of rak‘ah with salams after each pair. Finish with a single rak‘ah and give salams.

In the final rak‘ah of Witr before or after the bow, it is sunna to recite al-Qunut, a du‘a of which numerous versions exist.

Al-Qunut
Allah humma inna nast'eenuka wa nastaghfiruka wa nu'minu bika wa natawak-kalu 'alayka wa nuthne 'alayk-al khayr. Wa nashkuruka wa laaa nakfuruka wa nakhla'u wa natruku man-y yafjuruka. Allah humma iyyaka na'budu wa laka nusal-lee wa nasjudu wa ilayka nas'a wa nahfidu wa narju rahmataka wa nakhsha 'azabaka inna 'azabaka bil kuf-fari mulhiq.

Oh Allah, we ask you for help and seek your forgiveness, and we believe in You and have trust in You, and we praise you in the best way and we thank You and we are not ungrateful to you, and we forsake and turn away from the one who disobeys you. O Allah, we worship You only and pray to You and prostrate ourselves before You, and we run towards You and serve You, and we hope to receive your mercy, and we fear your punishment. Surely, the disbelievers will receive your punishement.

Allah hum mahdinee feeman hadayta,
Wa 'afinee feeman 'afayta,
wata wal-lane feeman twal-layta
wa barik lee feema a'taita,
waqinee shar-ra ma qadayta,
fa-innaka taqdee wala yuqda 'alayk,
innahu laa Yazil-lu man walayt,
wala ya'iz-zu man 'adaita,
tabarakta rabbana wata 'alaita,
nastaghfiruka wanatubu ilayka,
Wa sal-lal lahu alan-nabee.

Oh Allah, make me among those whom You have guided,
and make me among those whom You have saved, and make
me among those whom You have chosen, and bless whatever
you have given me, and protect me from the evil which you have decreed; verily, You decide the things and nobody can decide against You; and none whom You have committed to Your care shall be humiliated and none whom You have taken as an enemy shall taste glory. You are blessed, our Lord, and Exalted, we ask for Your forgiveness and turn to You. Peace and mercy of Allah be upon the Prophet.

It's sunnah to recite dua Al Qunut Insha'Allah as is the witr prayer considered wajib by Imam abu Hanifah and sunnah mu'akkadah by the other Imams Insha'Allah.

Listen to dua Al Qunut by Sheikh Mishary Al-’Afaasy

Wa Allahu A'lam.

DAWUD_adnan
03-14-2007, 06:50 AM
bedankt

Lina
03-14-2007, 01:38 PM

Graag gedaan broeder.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tanya Khan
03-14-2007, 01:49 PM
If I pray Witr with Isha namaz, do i still pray Witr with Tahajjud? How many Witr do I pray with Tahajjud :?

Abdul-Raouf
03-14-2007, 02:00 PM
To my knowledge Witr is considered ur last prayer of the day..(done after sunnah prayer and nafil prayers..)..... its 3 raka... in the third rakath after .. Alhamdh and a any small surah.... raise ur hands and say thakbeer.. then stand and recite Qunoot.... after that go to rukuh...

and finish the prayer...

Tanya Khan
03-14-2007, 02:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muzammil
To my knowledge Witr is considered ur last prayer of the day..(done after sunnah prayer and nafil prayers..)..... its 3 raka... in the third rakath after .. Alhamdh and a any small surah.... raise ur hands and say thakbeer.. then stand and recite Qunoot.... after that go to rukuh...

and finish the prayer...

Soory what does thakbeer mean ? :-[

Maimunah
03-14-2007, 02:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tanya Khan
If I pray Witr with Isha namaz, do i still pray Witr with Tahajjud? How many Witr do I pray with Tahajjud :?
there is only one witr. if it means that you can wake up for qiyam layl (night prayer) then delay your witr for that time. otherwise pray before you go to sleep as it states from the ahadiths.

Allah knows best.

:w:

Maimunah
03-14-2007, 02:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tanya Khan
Soory what does thakbeer mean ? :-[
takbeer means to say Allahu akbar

Maimunah
03-14-2007, 02:25 PM

THE MANNER IN WHICH THE NIGHT
PRAYER IS PERFORMED

The manner in which the Night Prayer is performed

By Imaam Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Albaanee (rahimahullaah)
Source: Qiyaam Ramadaan (pgs. 28-30)

I spoke in detail about this subject in my book Salaat-ut-Taraaweeh (pg. 101-115), so I felt that I should abridge that discussion here in order to make it easy for the reader and to remind him:

The First Manner: consists of thirteen rak’aat, which is commenced with two short rak’aat. According to the most correct opinion, these are the two rak’aat of Sunnah prayer offered after ‘Ishaa, or they are two specific rak’aat by which one begins the Night Prayer, as has been stated previously. Then one prays two very long rak’aat (after that). Then two more rak’aat are prayed, and then another two rak’aat are prayed. Then two more rak’aat are prayed and another set of two rak’aat are prayed. Then witr is made with one rak’ah.

The Second Manner: consists of thirteen rak’aat. There are eight rak’aat within them, in which one makes tasleem after every two rak’aat. Then witr is made with five rak’aat and one does not sit nor make the tasleem except in the fifth rak’ah.

The Third Manner: consists of eleven rak’aat, in which one makes tasleem after every two rak’aat and then prays witr at the end with one rak’ah.

The Fourth Manner: consists of eleven rak’aat, in which one prays four rak’aat and makes one tasleem after the four. The he prays another four in a similar manner and ends it with three rak’aat (for witr).

Would the Prophet remain in the sitting position after every two rak’aat, when praying a unit of four rak’aat or a unit of three rak’aat? We do not find a clear answer for this, but remaining in the sitting position (for tashahhud) while doing a unit of three rak’aat is not legislated (in the Religion)!

The Fifth Manner: consists of eleven rak’aat, in which one prays eight rak’aat and does not sit in any of them except for the eighth rak’ah. While sitting (in the eighth rak’ah), he makes the tashahhud and sends Salaat on the Prophet and then stands up again without making the tasleem. Then he makes witr with one rak’ah and when finished, he makes the tasleem. This consists of nine rak’aat. Then he prays two rak’aat after that while in the sitting position.

The Sixth Manner: One prays nine rak’aat, in which he does not sit except after the sixth rak’ah. Then he makes the tashahhud and sends Salaat on the Prophet and then stands again without making the tasleem. Then he makes witr with three rak’aat and when finished, he makes the tasleem, etc. (the rest is the same as the previous manner)

These are the manners in which it is reported that the Prophet performed the Night Prayer. It is possible to add other types of manners to it, by subtracting what one wishes from each set of rak’aat until he cuts it down to one rak’ah, acting on the previously mentioned hadeeth of Allaah’s Messenger SAWS: “So whoever wishes, then let him pray witr with five rak’aat, and whoever wishes, then let him pray witr with three rak’aat, and whoever wishes, then let him pray witr with one rak’ah.”

So if one wants, he can pray these five rak’aat or three rak’aat with one sitting and one tasleem, as is stated in the Second Manner. And if he wants, he can make tasleem after every two rak’aat, as is stated in the Third Manner, and this is preferred.

As for praying the set of five rak’aat or three rak’aat by sitting after every two rak’aat and not making the tasleem, then we did not find any authentic report that the Prophet used to do this. The asl (foundation) is that it is permissible, but since the Prophet forbade us from praying witr with three rak’aat indicating the reason for that by saying: “And do not liken it to the Maghrib prayer.” [1] So then anyone that prays the witr in three rak’aat must not liken it to the Maghrib prayer. This can be done in two ways:

1. Making the tasleem between the even and odd number rak’ah (i.e. between the second and the third rak’ah). This is what is more strong and preferred.

2. One does not sit between the even and odd number (i.e. he prays three rak’aat straight with one tasleem), and Allaah knows best.

Footnotes:
[1] Reported by At-Tahawee, Ad-Daraqutnee and others. See At-Taraaweeh (pg. 99 & 110)

Tanya Khan
03-14-2007, 02:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ruwaydah
takbeer means to say Allahu akbar

Thnak you :)

Souljette
02-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Jazakallah Khair for sharing

The Ruler
02-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Umm, Salaatul witr is waajib, not nafl.

I just want to verify the following way of praying salaatul witr. I was taught it this way:

- First and second raka'ah, normal except you DON'T sit during the second raka'ah. You stand again.
- After bowing in the third raka'ah, you raise your hand and recite du'as. Then you go down for sijdah the normal way (2 prostrations, sit then salaam)

I was told it is an alternative way of praying witr withough Dua' Qunoot.

'Abd-al Latif
02-12-2009, 09:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
Umm, Salaatul witr is waajib, not nafl.

I just want to verify the following way of praying salaatul witr. I was taught it this way:

- First and second raka'ah, normal except you DON'T sit during the second raka'ah. You stand again.
- After bowing in the third raka'ah, you raise your hand and recite du'as. Then you go down for sijdah the normal way (2 prostrations, sit then salaam)

I was told it is an alternative way of praying witr withough Dua' Qunoot.
Witr is waajib in the hanfiyyah madhab.

The majority of scholars (jumhoor ul-'ulmeaa') assert that salaat ul-witr (witr prayer) is a sunnah mu'akkada (confirmed sunnah that the Prophet peace be upon him, practiced consistently), and that it is not obligatory. This is based on the hadith (saying) regarding the bedouin who once came to the Prophet asking about Islam, the Prophet answered, "Five prayers within one day-and-night." The bedouin asked, "Am I obliged to other than those?" The Prophet replied, "Unless you volunteer of your own." (al-hadith muttafaqun alaih.)

Some scholars have said that qiyaam ul-layl (prayer at the heart of night) and salaat ul-witr are the best of the voluntary prayers (al-nawaafil). Therefore, one should consistently practice them and not neglect them. The Prophet did not neglect the prayers during night nor two rak'ah before al-fajr neither in residence nor in travel (as related in al-sunnah al-sahihah).
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/208

Sunnat al-Fajr and al-Witr are Sunnah Mu’akkadah, prayer which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) never omitted to do, whether he was travelling or not.
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/6586

The Ruler
02-23-2009, 04:21 PM
^ I see. Jazakallah khair for telling me that. I didn't know.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.