/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Allah beautiful names

Tanya Khan
03-14-2007, 02:30 PM
What are the benefits of reciting Allah's names many times everyday?
Also what's the difference between recite and repeat, is it the same :?

Sorry, one more thing, can you read them from somewhere and repeat them, or do you have to know them by heart?
I know you have to think of the meaning while repeating His names, but I don't know all the meanings by heart, so I usually look at the meaning in a book or internet and think about it while i'm repeating one of Allah's names. Is that ok?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hashim_507
03-15-2007, 12:38 PM
The Hadith Naming the Ninety-Nine Names of Allah

A well known hadith concerning the names of Allah is the following: Abu Huraira reported that the Messenger of Allah, said, "Allah has ninety-nite names. He who 'ahsaha' [enumerates them, believes in them, ponders their meanings, worships Allah by them and supplicates with them, and acts by them according to one's belief in them] will enter Paradise. He is God other than whom there is no god, the Compassionate, the Merciful, the King, the Holy, the Source of Peace, the Preserver of Security..." The hadith continues to list ninety-nine names of Allah.

This hadith was recorded by at-Tirmidhi and others. Ibn Majah also has recorded something similar to it. In English, it may be found in a number of works, including Mishkat al-Masabih.

This hadith is well-known among the scholars of hadith to be a weak hadith. Most of them consider the actual listing of the names as a later addition by one of the narrators of the hadith and some narrators mistakenly included it as part of the hadith. Among those scholars who reject this hadith as weak are at-Tirmidhi, al-Baihaqi, ibn Hazm, al-Dawudi, ibn Taymiya, ibn Katheer, ibn Hajr, al-Juwaini, ibn Baz, al-Albani, ibn Uthaimin and Abdul Qadir al-Arnaut.

However, it must be noted that there is an authentic hadith with the following wording, that does not include the listing of the names of Allah: Abu Huraira reported that the Messenger of Allah said, "Allah has ninety-nine names, one hundred less one. Whoever ahsaha will enter Paradise. (Recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim)

SOME ADDITIONAL POINTS

A problem that results from the above hadith -- which seems to be the basis for the posters that are made of the ninety-nine names of Allah -- is that it contains some names which are not considered names of Allah. That is, ignoring this weak hadith, there is no authentic hadith or Quranic verse that offers evidence that those names are from the names of Allah. Since the names of Allah must be based on revelation from Allah (the Quran and Sunnah), if there is no authentic proof for specific names, they cannot be called one of the names of Allah. An example from the above hadith is the name al-Rasheed. There is no Quranic verse or authentic hadith that states this name. Hence, one cannot claim it as a name of Allah. Other commonly heard names that apparently are not from the names of Allah are al-Baqi, al-Sitaar and al-Naasir.

It should be noted that the hadith states that Allah has ninety-nine names, one hundred less one, is not meant to be all inclusive. That is, it does not mean that Allah has ninety-nine and only ninety-nine names. Indeed, in going through the Quran and authentic hadith of the Prophet (peace be upon him) many scholars have been able to discover more than ninety-nine names of Allah. Furthermore, many scholars have concluded that Allah has an infinite number of names. This opinion is based on the following hadith. The Prophet (peace be upon him) made the following supplication, "[O Allah], I ask you of you by every name that You have named yourself or that You have revealed in Your book or that You have taught any of Your creation or that You have kept hidden, in the unseen knowledge, with Yourself." (Recorded by Ahmad, According to al-Albani, it is sahih.)

http://www.islaam.com/Article.aspx?id=67

Tanya Khan
03-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Someone told me you only get the benefits of reciting these names if your very religious, not if you don't pray often and are a bit westernised :?

- Qatada -
03-15-2007, 02:44 PM
:salamext:

Sister, please check this site inshaa Allaah.

http://makedua.com

These duas' are from Qur'an and Authentic Sunnah, and if you are a muslim - then you should follow the sunnah and pray these because the Messenger of Allaah himself did, peace be upon him.

Hope you benefit from them inshaa Allaah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tanya Khan
03-15-2007, 04:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

These duas' are from Qur'an and Authentic Sunnah, and if you are a muslim - then you should follow the sunnah and pray these because the Messenger of Allaah himself did, peace be upon him.

Thank you. :)

snakelegs
03-15-2007, 08:51 PM
i always thought the 99 names came from the qur'an - that someone had counted all the different names that were applied to god in the qur'an.
so they are actually from a weak hadith?

Umm Yoosuf
03-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Allahs names are from Quran and Sunnah

so they are actually from a weak hadith?
No. But repeating these names over and over and over, is not from the Sunnah. In Islam we do everything how the Messenger peace be upon him did it :)

snakelegs
03-15-2007, 09:00 PM
now i'm confused. check post #4.

Umm Yoosuf
03-15-2007, 09:01 PM
You're talking about this post?

Yeah, whats wrong with it? What are you confused about?

format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

snakelegs
03-15-2007, 09:18 PM
no - i was talking about this one:
maybe when i read the links you and fi_sabilillah gave, i'll understand it better.
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim_507
The Hadith Naming the Ninety-Nine Names of Allah

A well known hadith concerning the names of Allah is the following: Abu Huraira reported that the Messenger of Allah, said, "Allah has ninety-nite names. He who 'ahsaha' [enumerates them, believes in them, ponders their meanings, worships Allah by them and supplicates with them, and acts by them according to one's belief in them] will enter Paradise. He is God other than whom there is no god, the Compassionate, the Merciful, the King, the Holy, the Source of Peace, the Preserver of Security..." The hadith continues to list ninety-nine names of Allah.

This hadith was recorded by at-Tirmidhi and others. Ibn Majah also has recorded something similar to it. In English, it may be found in a number of works, including Mishkat al-Masabih.

This hadith is well-known among the scholars of hadith to be a weak hadith. Most of them consider the actual listing of the names as a later addition by one of the narrators of the hadith and some narrators mistakenly included it as part of the hadith. Among those scholars who reject this hadith as weak are at-Tirmidhi, al-Baihaqi, ibn Hazm, al-Dawudi, ibn Taymiya, ibn Katheer, ibn Hajr, al-Juwaini, ibn Baz, al-Albani, ibn Uthaimin and Abdul Qadir al-Arnaut.

However, it must be noted that there is an authentic hadith with the following wording, that does not include the listing of the names of Allah: Abu Huraira reported that the Messenger of Allah said, "Allah has ninety-nine names, one hundred less one. Whoever ahsaha will enter Paradise. (Recorded by al-Bukhari and Muslim)

SOME ADDITIONAL POINTS

A problem that results from the above hadith -- which seems to be the basis for the posters that are made of the ninety-nine names of Allah -- is that it contains some names which are not considered names of Allah. That is, ignoring this weak hadith, there is no authentic hadith or Quranic verse that offers evidence that those names are from the names of Allah. Since the names of Allah must be based on revelation from Allah (the Quran and Sunnah), if there is no authentic proof for specific names, they cannot be called one of the names of Allah. An example from the above hadith is the name al-Rasheed. There is no Quranic verse or authentic hadith that states this name. Hence, one cannot claim it as a name of Allah. Other commonly heard names that apparently are not from the names of Allah are al-Baqi, al-Sitaar and al-Naasir.

It should be noted that the hadith states that Allah has ninety-nine names, one hundred less one, is not meant to be all inclusive. That is, it does not mean that Allah has ninety-nine and only ninety-nine names. Indeed, in going through the Quran and authentic hadith of the Prophet (peace be upon him) many scholars have been able to discover more than ninety-nine names of Allah. Furthermore, many scholars have concluded that Allah has an infinite number of names. This opinion is based on the following hadith. The Prophet (peace be upon him) made the following supplication, "[O Allah], I ask you of you by every name that You have named yourself or that You have revealed in Your book or that You have taught any of Your creation or that You have kept hidden, in the unseen knowledge, with Yourself." (Recorded by Ahmad, According to al-Albani, it is sahih.)

http://www.islaam.com/Article.aspx?id=67

Tanya Khan
03-16-2007, 08:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
Allahs names are from Quran and Sunnah

No. But repeating these names over and over and over, is not from the Sunnah. In Islam we do everything how the Messenger peace be upon him did it :)
I don't understand :?
I repeat Allah's names everyday while thinking of their meaning, like say for instance Ya-Mateen I would repeat, Ya- Qudoos, Ya Qadir and so on.
Is this wrong? Please let me know asap. Thanks.

Umm Yoosuf
03-19-2007, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tanya Khan
I don't understand :?
I repeat Allah's names everyday while thinking of their meaning, like say for instance Ya-Mateen I would repeat, Ya- Qudoos, Ya Qadir and so on.
Is this wrong? Please let me know asap. Thanks.
:sl:

Question:
Is there any harm in repeating the names of Allah SWT? As zikr, or anything else?

I understand saying "Astagh firullah" or "Subhan Allah" or "Alhamdo Lillah" are ok...

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

There is no doubt that it is bid’ah to mention the name of Allaah on its own or –even worse – to repeat the pronoun “Huwa” (“He”). Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The Name of Allaah on its own, either as a noun (“Allaah”) or a pronoun (“Huwa”) is not a complete phrase or meaningful sentence. It has no implications to do with eemaan (faith) or kufr (disbelief), commands or prohibitions. This was not mentioned by anyone from the Salaf (early generations) of this ummah, and it was not prescribed by the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). It does not bring any knowledge to the heart or bestow any kind of benefit upon it. All it does is give an unclear idea which is not defined by any negation or affirmation. Unless there is previous knowledge in a person's mind or he is in a state of mind where he could benefit from this, he gains no benefit at all. Islam prescribes adhkaar which in and of themselves bring benefit to the heart, without any such need for anything else.

Some of those who persisted in this kind of “dhikr” ended up in various kinds of heresies and ideas of “wahdat al-wujood” (unity of all that exists, pantheism), as has been explained in detail elsewhere.

It was mentioned that one of the shaykhs said: “I am afraid of dying between negation and affirmation”, but this is not an example to be followed, because it is obviously erroneous. If a person were to die in this state, he would die according to his intention, because actions are judged by intention. It was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded us to tell the dying person to say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah, and he said, “Anyone whose last words are Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah will enter Paradise.” If this word (Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah) was something which required caution, why should we tell the dying person to say something which, if he dies in the middle of saying it, will lead to an improper death? Rather, if this were the case, he would be told to say “Allaah, Allaah” or “Huwa, Huwa.”

Mentioning the pronoun on its own is further removed from the Sunnah and is a worse kind of bid’ah, which is closer to the misguidance of the Shaytaan. If a person says “Yaa Huwa, yaa Huwaa (O He, O He)” or “Huwa, Huwa (He, He)” and so on, the pronoun does not refer to anything except whatever his heart imagines, and hearts may be guided or misguided.
Some shaykhs use as evidence to support saying “Allaah” (the name on its own) the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: ‘Allaah.’ Then leave them…” [al-An’aam 6:91]. They think that Allaah commanded His Prophet to say His Name on its own, but this is a mistake according to the consensus of the scholars, because the meaning of the phrase “Say ‘Allaah’” is that it is Allaah Who sent down the Book which was brought by Moosa. This is in response to the question:

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘Who then sent down the Book which Moosa (Moses) brought, a light and a guidance to mankind which you (the Jews) have made into (separate) paper sheets, disclosing (some of it) and concealing (much). And you (believers in Allaah and His Messenger Muhammad) were taught (through the Qur’aan) that which neither you nor your fathers knew.’ Say: ‘Allaah (sent it down).’” [al-An’aam 6:91 – interpretation of the meaning], i.e., Allaah is the One Who revealed the Book which was brought by Moosa. This is a refutation of the view of those who said, “Nothing did Allaah send down to any human being (by Revelation)” [al-An’aam 6:91 – interpretation of the meaning]. Allaah says: Who then sent down the Book which Moosa brought? Then He says: Say Allaah sent it down, then leave these liars to play in their vain discussions.

What we have said above is further explained by the comments of Seebawayh and other grammarians, who noted that when the Arabs say “Qaala” (or other forms of the verb meaning “to say”), they do not quote verbatim, rather they state what was said, giving a complete meaning. So what follows is a sentence with a complete meaning, or a nominal sentence or a verbal sentence. Hence after saying “qaala” they give a kasrah to the particle “anna” (making it “inna”); “qaala” cannot be followed by a noun standing alone. Allaah did not command anyone to mention His Name on its own, and it is not prescribed for the Muslims to say His Name on its own. Saying His Name on its own does not enhance faith or explain anything about the religion, according to the consensus of the scholars of Islam; it is not enjoined in any act of worship or in any case where Allaah addresses them.
(Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 10/226-229)

And he (may Allaah have mercy on him) also said:
Repeating the Name of Allaah on its own, such as saying “Allaah, Allaah,” or the pronoun, such as “Huwa, Huwa” is not prescribed in either the Qur’aan or the Sunnah. It is not reported that any of the salaf of this ummah or any of the righteous scholars who are taken as examples did this. It is only spoken by misguided people of the later generations.

Perhaps they are following a shaykh who had no control over himself in this regard, such as al-Shubli who, it was narrated, used to say ‘Allaah, Allaah.’ It was said to him, ‘Why do you not say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah?’ He said, “I am afraid of dying between the negation [saying La ilaaha (there is no god)] and the affirmation [ill-Allaah (except Allaah)]”!

This is one of the mistakes made by al-Shubli, who may be forgiven for it because of the sincerity of his faith and the strength of his emotions which overwhelmed him. Sometimes he would go crazy and would be taken to the asylum, and he would shave off his beard. There are other instances of this type in his case, which are not to be taken as examples, even if he may be excused or rewarded for them. If a person intends to say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah, and he dies before completing it, that will not harm him at all, because actions are judged by intentions, and what he intended to do is what will be written down for him.

Some of them go to extremes in this matter, and say that saying the name of Allaah is for the ‘elite’ whilst saying La ilaaha ill-Allaah is for the ‘masses.’ Some of them say that saying Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah is for the mu’mineen (believers), saying ‘Allaah’ is for the ‘aarifeen’ and saying ‘Huwa’ is for the muhaqqiqeen. One of them may restrict himself to saying, when alone or in a gathering, ‘Allaah, Allaah, Allaah’ or ‘Huwa’ or ‘Yaa Huwa’ or even ‘La Huwa illa Huwa (there is no He except He)’!

Some of those who have written about spiritual matters have expressed approval of this, quoting some known figures who, however, were in a state of overwhelming emotion at the time, or quoting opinions, or quoting false reports – for example some of them reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib to say ‘Allaah, Allaah, Allaah.’ The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said it three times, then he told ‘Ali to say it three times so he said it three times. This hadeeth is fabricated (mawdoo’), according to the consensus of the scholars of hadeeth.

It is narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught people various adhkaar to say, and the best of dhikr is Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah. This is what he urged his paternal uncle Abu Taalib to say when he was dying. He said, “O uncle, say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah and I will defend you thereby before Allaah.” And he said: “I know of a word which no one says when he is dying but his soul finds rest in it.” And he said, “Anyone whose last words are Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah will enter Paradise.” And he said, “Whoever dies knowing that there is no god except Allaah will enter Paradise.” And he said: “I have been commanded to fight people until they bear witness that there is no god except Allaah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah. If they do that, their blood and wealth will be safe from me, except for what is due from them [e.g., zakaah etc.], and their reckoning is with Allaah.” And there are many similar ahaadeeth.
(Majmoo’ al-Fataawaa, 10/556-558)

Whoever makes the Qur’aan and Sunnah his points of reference concerning his worship will not fail to distinguish right from wrong. We ask Allaah to bring us back to His religion in a gentle manner. And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
http://islam-qa.com/

More on this site Masha Allah

http://abdurrahman.org/zikr/index.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.