/* */

PDA

View Full Version : :rant: COPYRIGHT :rant:

IbnAbdulHakim
03-14-2007, 04:04 PM
:salamext:

i was hyped about listenin 2 Hesham Al-Awadi's "The Four Great Imams" when i saw the following notice:

Awakening publications has contacted us to remove these files from the website as they state it violates their copyrights.

what is this man audhubillah :( im beginning to this its all about the money audhubillah !

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
mohammed farah
03-14-2007, 04:06 PM
i know, when i want to listen to some lectures the only let you listen to a snippit and then say you can buy it on so and so, very irratatin.

Snowflake
03-14-2007, 04:09 PM
very irratatin.
I know, tell me about it! So many times I wanted to copy beneficial info. from Islamic sites but they won't let me copy and worse, not even save the link. Disgusting!

Erundur
03-14-2007, 04:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

i was hyped about listenin 2 Hesham Al-Awadi's "The Four Great Imams" when i saw the following notice:

Awakening publications has contacted us to remove these files from the website as they state it violates their copyrights.

what is this man audhubillah :( im beginning to this its all about the money audhubillah !

Its one thing to make lectures and make them free for download but its another thing in which people use that money to continue to make more and more lectures.

Reminder To Users

And spend in the Cause of Allaah [Surah Baqarah 2:195] Please do not let the availability of these online lectures hinder you from buying them. The speakers, along with anybody else who is earning money due to the sales of the lectures, have a right to their money. If you are financially able to do so, purchase the lecture you wish to listen to. Your wealth will not decrease if spent for His sake. 'Say: Truly, my Lord enlarges the provision for whom He wills of His slaves, and (also) restricts (it) for him, and whatsoever you spend of anything (in Allah's Cause), He will replace it. And He is the Best of providers'.[Surah Saba' 34:39]
http://kalamullah.com/

:sl:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
03-14-2007, 04:33 PM
so shud i buy it then? :p i might hav to show that ayyah to my mum ;D

Pk_#2
03-14-2007, 04:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Erundur
wers the quote gone? nevamind!!

http://kalamullah.com/

...Hmm i still decided to quote u, dou its not working :-[

jazakAllah bro :)

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

ABDUL HAQ
03-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Allah Ta'ala says in the Qur'aan Shareef: "They purchase with the aayaat of Allah a cheap (miserable) price. Thus they prevented from the Path of Allah...."

"And they prevent you from the thikr of Allah and from Salaat. What, will you (not) desist (from preventing from the thikr of Allah)?"

"They spend their wealth so that they could prevent from the Path of Allah."

"They devour the wealth of people in baatil (ways) and they prevent from the Path of Allah."

"They love (and give preference) to this worldly life over the Aakhirah and prevent from the Path of Allah."

While registering copyrights is unlawful in the Shariah, it is particularly abominable when applied to Deeni literature. Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) was sent to earth to deliver the message of Allah Ta'ala - the Deen of Islam. Every branch of Deeni Ilm stems from the Qur'aan. It is spiritually cruel and religiously (in terms of the Shariah) haraam to attempt the prevention of the dissemination of the Deen and Words of Allah Ta'ala by any means whatever.

Since copyright is tantamount to the prevention of Allah's Thikr and strewing obstacles in the Path of Allah Ta'ala, it's prohibition comes within the purview of the aforementioned Qur'aanic strictures. While the kuffaar prevented from the Thikr of Allah and from the Path of Allah in their peculiar ways of kufr, Muslims, even Ulama, execute a similar act by employing the kuffaar concept and law of copyright to prevent the spread of Allah's Words - His Thikr which is Islam.

The sole motive underpinning this haraam concept of copyright is monetary gain. Thus, for the sake of a miserable and 'cheap' price, even learned Muslims are miserable and 'cheap' price, even learned Muslims are casting impediments in the Path of Allah Ta'ala. It is a lamentable commentary of their lack of comprehension of the issues involved inspite of them being men of Deeni knowledge. The prime function of the Ulama is the propagation and dissemination of Allah's Thikr.

When the Ulama seek the subterfuge of kuffaar concepts and kuffaar laws to place restrains on the spread of Allah's Thikr for monetary gain, they should understand that the label of ulama-e-soo' (evil learned people) will be applicable to them.

From the Fiqhi (juristic) point of view, copyrights are not saleable commodities. The sale or trading in such imaginary rights is palpably baatil (baseless, null and void) in the Shariah. Copyright is simply not a haqq (right) in the Shariah. Even true rights recognized by the Shariah are not regarded as saleable commodity (maal). When true rights cannot be subject to trade, how can an imaginary right be a commodity for trade? The kuffaar have forged this baatil as a 'right'. Since it promises haraam revenue, some among the learned men have gone out of their way to legalize this figment of kuffaar imagination. In the process, scant regard in shown for Allah's Deen. For the sake of easy money, a brake is placed on the dissemination of Allah's Kalimaat (Words). A variety of baseless arguments and false interpretations are presented for the legalization of this baatil.

The office of the Ulama demands that the Words of Allah Ta'ala be spread and given the widest publicity and distribution. While a trader working for his own pocket may be devoid of any altruistic motives, he unintentionally serves the purpose of spreading the words of Allah Ta'ala by publication and selling of Deeni literature. No one has the Shar'i right to prevent any person from reproducing any literature whatever. Those who do, are guilty of the crime of preventing the spread of Allah's Thikr.

Read the book "The Shariah and Copyrights" @ http://books.themajlis.net/node/view/331

Pk_#2
03-14-2007, 04:39 PM
cool jazakAllah

where do u get these from!

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-14-2007, 04:41 PM
jazakAllah khair Abdul Haq, now i can be sad again and hav it justified

:( why they copyrighting this stuff for

ABDUL HAQ
03-14-2007, 04:47 PM
glad i could help:D

IbnAbdulHakim
03-14-2007, 04:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ABDUL HAQ
glad i could help:D
lol :p ;D :)

Erundur
03-14-2007, 04:51 PM

Read the book "The Shariah and Copyrights" @ http://books.themajlis.net/node/view/331

Copying tapes and CDs with the aim of distributing them

Question:
We copy religious tapes and give them away for free or sell them very cheaply in order to distribute them more widely, but the tapes are protected by copyright, and our aim is to spread knowledge and da’wah.
Similarly with CDs, it may be difficult and expensive to get hold of original copies. And the purpose of what we do is to spread knowledge.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Copyright or the rights of authors, inventors and producers, and other financial and moral rights, belong to the owners of these works and it is not permissible to transgress against them or undermine them without the permission of their owners. That includes tapes, CDs and books.

Reference may be made concerning that to what was written by Shaykh Bakr ibn ‘Abd-Allaah Abu Zayd (may Allaah preserve him) about copyright in his book Fiqh al-Nawaazil, 2/101-187.

The Standing Committee was asked: Is it permissible for me to record (a copy of) a tape and sell it without asking permission from its author, or from the publisher if the author is no longer alive? Is it permissible to make many copies of a book and sell them? Is it permissible to make a copy of a book and not sell it, rather keep it for myself, if it is marked copyright; do I have to ask for permission or not?

They replied: There is nothing wrong with making copies of useful tapes and selling them, or making copies of books and selling them, because that is helping to spread knowledge, unless their authors have stated that this is not allowed, in which case their permission must be sought.

End quote from Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 13/187

The Committee was also asked: I work in the field of computers, and since I started working I have been making copies of programs to work with them. I have been doing that without purchasing an original copy of these programs, knowing that these programs carry warnings against making copies and their copyright is protected, like the phrase “all rights reserved” which appears on some books. The author of the program may be a Muslim or a kaafir. My question is: is it permissible to make copies in this manner or not?

They replied: It is not permissible to make copies of programs whose authors have forbidden the making of copies without their permission, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Muslims are bound by their conditions.” And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever reaches a persmittible thing first has more right to it.” It does not matter whether the author of the program is a Muslim or a kaafir who is not in a state of war with Islam, because the rights of a kaafir who is not in a state of war with Islam are to be respected like the rights of a Muslim.

End quote from Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 13/188.

There is also a statement from the Islamic Fiqh Council concerning intellectual property rights in which it says:
Firstly:

Trade names, trademarks, copyright and patents are all rights which belong exclusively to their owners. In modern times they have come to have a considerable financial value. These rights are recognized according to sharee’ah, and they should not be violated.

Thirdly:

Copyright and patents are protected by sharee’ah. Their owners have the right to buy or sell them and nobody has the right to violate these rights.

Undoubtedly the authors of these tapes and CDs have expended time, effort and money to produce them, and there is nothing in sharee’ah to indicate that they should not take the profits that result from this work. The one who transgresses against their rights is wronging them and consuming their wealth unlawfully.

If it is permissible to transgress against these rights, then these companies would stop producing these things, because it beings no returns. Their employees would have no motive to work, and undoubtedly stopping this work would result in a great deal of good being withheld from people. So it is appropriate that the scholars have stated that it is haraam to transgress against these rights.

This is the basic ruling, but in some cases it may be permissible to make copies without the author’s permission. That applies in two cases:

1 – If something is not available in the marketplace, if there is a need for it and it is charitable distribution, not for sale or for making a profit.

2 – If there is a great need for it and its authors are asking for more than its price, and they have already made enough money to cover the cost of producing this program with a reasonable profit – which is to be decided by people of experience. In that case, if it serves the interests of the Muslims, it is permissible to copy it, so as to ward off harm. But that is subject to the condition that it not be sold for personal gain.

And Allaah is the Source of strength.

You can contact the companies which produced the material and tell them of the charitable purpose behind it and ask them for permission to make copies, or give them an appropriate price.

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=529...&txt=Copyright
Shaykh Faraz Rabbani had answered a similar statement as well.

BlissfullyJaded
03-14-2007, 07:17 PM

I don't think its a problem to have a copyright on their works, so that people can purchase it and support them so that more material can be produced. We should support those who are doing da'wah, so that they may be successful inshaAllah... So its not just about the money, but also so that the cause can continue.

vpb
03-14-2007, 07:25 PM
I don't think its a problem to have a copyright on their works, so that people can purchase it and support them so that more material can be produced. We should support those who are doing da'wah, so that they may be successful inshaAllah... So its not just about the money, but also so that the cause can continue.
that's not an excuse to make dawa with money, Yusuf Estes also make dawa but he puts on his website "Donate..." and not "Pay ...".
Selling DVD-s or CD-s , they could charge money, bc they need to buy the cd-s , but on internet, there is nothing to lose.

may Allah forgive us :(

Muezzin
03-14-2007, 07:25 PM
We'd all like stuff for free, but you have to bear in mind that people who give lectures, Muslim or Non-Muslim, are, well... people. They need to fund their lecture tours or what have you for starters. They need to eat, too.

Also, it's not like they're restricting you from accessing the Quran by hiding behind copyright. They are restricting access to their (educated) opinions, which they are fully entitled to do.

IceQueen~
03-14-2007, 07:27 PM
I know some people who do lectures and stuff and only charge the expenses of the cassette
and once uv bought it u can make as many copies as u like and give them out for the sake of dawah and spreading knowledge as there is purposely no copyright :)

vpb
03-14-2007, 07:36 PM
I know some people who do lectures and stuff and only charge the expenses of the cassette
and once uv bought it u can make as many copies as u like and give them out for the sake of dawah and spreading knowledge as there is purposely no copyright
this one makes perfect sense.

jzcasejz
03-14-2007, 08:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IceQueen~
and once uv bought it u can make as many copies as u like and give them out for the sake of dawah and spreading knowledge as there is purposely no copyright :)
^^ This One Soundz Really Good...

And Yeah...I Like Yusuf Estes' Style...Most Of His Lectures Are Uploaded On The Internet...So You Can Spread Them For Da'wah :happy: Grrrreat Innit? :thumbs_up

But Then Again...I Mean..If You Can Afford It...You Might Aswell Buy It...

vpb
03-14-2007, 08:53 PM
just to mention, Ebu Hanife , one of the greatest scholars, he contributed a lot for Islam , as we know today, but at the same time he was a business man also. he used to sell a special clothing material.
so I hope you get my message.

ABDUL HAQ
03-14-2007, 10:12 PM
i think we can differentiate between covering costs ,profit for profits sake and
profit for increasing the output.dawah sake

im all for donation for dawah

but for someone to make money out of islam for ones own sake is a highly delicate matter

and between the individual and allah :thumbs_up

we cannot judge:X

as we will be judged on what we do:phew

IbnAbdulHakim
03-14-2007, 10:20 PM
i think we can differentiate between covering costs ,profit for profits sake and
profit for increasing the output.dawah sake

im all for donation for dawah

but for someone to make money out of islam for ones own sake is a highly delicate matter

and between the individual and allah :thumbs_up

we cannot judge:X

as we will be judged on what we do:phew

what a beautiful post bro :) mashaAllah

Erundur
03-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Here is some of the dealings...

The Imam's business was on a large scale. He traded in goods worth millions, had his agents in a number of cities and had dealings with many big merchants. With such a vast establishment under him he personally took care to see that no illicitly gained money came into his coffers, even though this subjected him to occasional losses. Once he sent some lengths of silk to Hafs b. 'Abd al-Rahman for sale with instructions to point out to prospective customers certain defects in some of the lengths. Hafs forgot the instruction and sold off the defective lengths without telling the customers anything about their defects. When the Imam learned of this, he was very sorry and gave away in charity the entire price of the lengths, which amounted to thirty thousand dirhams.

One day a woman came to him with a length of silk which she wanted him to sell for her and quoted a hundred rupees for it. On the Imam expressing surprise at that figure, she raised it to two hundred rupees. But the Imam told her that it was worth not less than five hundred rupees. "Are you making fun of me?" said the woman. The Imam took out five hundred rupees, gave them to her and kept the cloth. This kind of scrupulous honesty, far from harming his business, made it flourish.

His object in carrying on business and making money was to be able to help others. We had fixed stipends for all his needy friends and acquaintances and had reserved a part of his profits for distribution among scholars and muhaddithin annually. Whenever he bought anything for his family, he would buy the same thing for the scholars and muhaddithin of his acquaintance. If anybody came to call on him, he would tactfully find out about his economic condition and, if he was in want, help him. He used to provide those of his pupils who were poor with money for their household expenses, so that they could attend to their studies undistracted by domestic worries. Many people who were too poor to meet the expenses of their education were educated with his help and attained to high positions. One of these was Qadi Abu Yusuf, of whom more later.

One day a man who looked poor came to see Abu Hanifah. When his visitors were taking leave of him, the Imam asked the man to stay on. After the others had gone, he pointed to his prayer mat and asked the man to lift it. On doing so the man found a purse containing a thousand dirhams under the mat. Understanding that the Imam was offering the money to him, the man explained that he was well-to-do and did not need it. "Then you should not dress in such a way," said the Imam, "that people mistake you for a poor man."
On one occasion while on his way to see a sick acquaintance, the Imam saw at a distance a man who owed him ten thousand dirhams. The man tried to avoid him, but he accosted the man and, stopping him, asked why he had tried to avoid him. The man replied that he was ashamed to face him because he had not been able to repay his loan. Impressed with the man's confession of shame, the Imam said, "Well if you are unable to repay the loan, you need not do so."

On one of his pilgrimages he was accompanied part of the way by 'Abd-Allah Sahmi. At one of the halting stations a bedouin caught hold of 'Abd-Allah and, bringing him to the Imam, complained that 'Abd-Allah was not repaying a loan he had given him. 'Abd-Allah denied the claim. So the Imam asked the bedouin the amount of loan involved. The bedouin informed him that it was forty dirhams. "Things have come to such a pass," exclaimed the Imam, "that people fight over a paltry sum like forty dirhams." Saying this, he paid forty dirhams to the bedouin out of his own pocket.

Ibrahim b.'Utbah owed somebody four thousand dirhams and being unable to repay the money stopped meeting people out of shame. A friend of his started collecting subscriptions to help him discharge the loan and approached the Imam also. The Imam asked the amount of the loan. When he was told that it was four thousand dirhams, he said, "Why bother so many people for such a small amount?" Saying this, he gave Ibrahim's friend the entire money.
http://muslim-canada.org/hanifah.htm

strider
03-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Just by the material and support the person(s) who penned it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.