/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Turtle thread

syilla
03-15-2007, 08:02 AM
:salamext:

Since we have our own cat thread...why not turtle thread. :D

Lets save our turtles.

When we think of threatened or endangered turtles, most people think about sea turtles. However, there are other turtle species that are classified as threatened or endangered as well.

Please vote which turtles you love best.

The turtles are as below ;

:p (picture posted by request) -- NINJA TURTLE

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
03-15-2007, 08:05 AM
I Like the last one, they have some of them in one of our science labs at school,

btw nice thread!

syilla
03-15-2007, 08:09 AM
How to put picture inside the poll like the cat thread does :hiding:

north_malaysian
03-15-2007, 08:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
:salamext:

Since we have our own cat thread...why not turtle thread. :D

Lets save our turtles.

Please vote which turtles you love best.

I dont see much difference between all those tortoises?:blind:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
03-15-2007, 09:08 AM
How come we can't choose Ninja Turtles?

syilla
03-15-2007, 09:27 AM
oh...now i know what went wrong...

erm....please tell me how to edit the poll.

btw the turtle that are to be voted, are the numbered pictures.

Muezzin
03-15-2007, 09:34 AM
I'll change it for you.

syilla
03-15-2007, 09:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I'll change it for you.
Thanx...if you want you can put up the ninja turtle picture too.

Muezzin
03-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Heh. Image links don't work in the poll options, but it shouldn't matter as you have pictures in the actual post.

syilla
03-15-2007, 09:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Heh. Image links don't work in the poll options, but it shouldn't matter as you have pictures in the actual post.
I can't edit the poll to add the ninja turtle. But i think it wouldn't be fair for the other turtles if he wants to join in the lists. :-[

syilla
03-15-2007, 09:54 AM
^^^ yeah thats right :uuh:

i think i already know the results :skeleton:

Jazakallah khair...thank you. reps for you and muezzin to (I won't forget).

Tania
03-15-2007, 12:33 PM
I voted for number two:)
I have two turtles:statisfie

Re.TiReD
03-15-2007, 02:07 PM
I like the ninja turtle...coz the rest can't speak :D

strider
03-15-2007, 07:08 PM
The slider turtle looks 'adorable'. :D

snakelegs
03-15-2007, 07:30 PM
i've had a few turtles, but i am mostly snakish, (of course!). i prefer tortoises to turtles but i voted for the eastern river cooter.
once while wandering around in the desert (which i do quite a bit), i saw a desert tortoise on the road. so i picked him up to put him in as safer place - then he began to follow me, no matter what direction i went in to. i was surprised how heavy he was. they are protected in california, but you can adopt them if you want.
here's an interesting one - alligator snapping turtle. they have a built in lure in their mouths that attracts fish dinners. they get huge - over a hundred pounds. i had a baby once. i've also had box turtles and red eared sliders.
anyway, i don't have turtles anymore. what kind do you have?

syilla
03-16-2007, 03:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
I voted for number two:)
I have two turtles:statisfie
you should post them here. i want to see them. :thumbs_up

syilla
03-16-2007, 03:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *UmmQalam*
I like the ninja turtle...coz the rest can't speak :D
the rest can't speak...but it is easier to take care of them. :X

syilla
03-16-2007, 03:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i've had a few turtles, but i am mostly snakish, (of course!). i prefer tortoises to turtles but i voted for the eastern river cooter.
once while wandering around in the desert (which i do quite a bit), i saw a desert tortoise on the road. so i picked him up to put him in as safer place - then he began to follow me, no matter what direction i went in to. i was surprised how heavy he was. they are protected in california, but you can adopt them if you want.
here's an interesting one - alligator snapping turtle. they have a built in lure in their mouths that attracts fish dinners. they get huge - over a hundred pounds. i had a baby once. i've also had box turtles and red eared sliders.
anyway, i don't have turtles anymore. what kind do you have?
won't they bite? :phew

i only have the slider one...i used to have two...but one is dead. :(

north_malaysian
03-16-2007, 03:31 AM
I've voted ninja turtle because it's the only colourful turtle available:D

syilla
03-16-2007, 03:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I've voted ninja turtle because it's the only colourful turtle available:D
you are being unfair to the other turtles imsad

it is multiple choices. u should multiply your choices :-[

Tania
03-16-2007, 03:42 AM
...but one is dead. :(
Was she old :? I will post their pictures later:)

north_malaysian
03-16-2007, 03:51 AM
you are being unfair to the other turtles imsad

it is multiple choices. u should multiply your choices :-[
nope.... I'm not into turtles or tortoises...... sorry... my vote would only goes to Ninja turtle....:statisfie

syilla
03-16-2007, 04:18 AM
What You Need to Know Before Getting a Pet Turtle
Aquatic and semi-aquatic turtles are popular as pets. The most well known is probably the red eared slider, although there are several other species which are kept as pets.

Turtles have been popular for a long time. Baby red eared sliders were readily available and inexpensive many years ago, which unfortunately resulted in a lot of neglected turtles. They were often sent home with tiny plastic bowls with a little plastic tree (unfortunately these are still sold with turtles in some places). With no filtration system and no room to grow, these little babies didn't have much chance. In the 1970s, the US government banned the sale of turtles less than 4 inches long, once the connection was made between turtles and Salmonella infections, especially in children. It is not that baby turtles carry more Salmonella than larger ones; it is more of a case of children being more likely to handle the smaller turtles (and/or put them in their mouths!).

Sadly, many turtles are still sold to people who have little idea how much care turtles require, including large tanks, special lighting, good filtration and lots of cleaning. Even worse, they are sometimes given out as prizes at fairs and at other events. All too often aquatic turtles die due to stress and neglect - and sometimes they suffer so much stress, overcrowding and neglect during transport and in shops (and fairs) that even if a new owner provides ideal care the turtles may be so ill they die anyway.

Turtles and Children
Turtles are not ideal pets for children. They are not easy to care for, not great for handling, and in addition they often do harbor Salmonella bacteria which can be passed to the children who don't understand the need for careful hygiene. Many children do not have the interest or ability to provide the amount of care and cleaning that a turtle rightfully requires, so parents must realize the responsibility for care ultimately falls to them if the kids lose interest.

Size and Life Span
Many people also do not realize how big aquatic turtles can get. Red eared sliders and a couple of the other commonly available pet species will grow to at least 10-12 inches long and thus will require correspondingly large enclosures. All turtles have the potential to enjoy a very long life span (i.e. several decades!) if cared for properly.

Housing
Aquatic turtles require fairly elaborate housing. They need regular exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light, so pricey bulbs designed for reptiles that produce UVA and UVB light are needed for turtle tanks. Without this light, metabolic bone disease (soft shell syndrome) can result. Turtles are messy, and a good filtration unit will be necessary to help maintain water quality, as will regular cleaning. They should have deep enough water to allow swimming, along with a place to get out of the water to bask (heated from above with a basking light.) In addition, appropriate water and ambient temperatures should be maintained.

Feeding
Although turtle foods have come a long way they are not recommended as a sole source of food for aquatic turtles. Most are omnivores (and preferences for different foods might change at different points in the life cycle), and offering a good variety of foods is the best way to feed most turtles. As a rule, feeding turtles in a separate plastic tub will allow the mess associated with feeding to be contained (turtles are messy eaters, and this will reduce the need for tank cleaning a bit) and allow monitoring of food intake of each turtle if multiple turtles are kept.

But for the Right Owner...
Having said all that, given the right person and the right commitment turtles make beautiful, fascinating, and enjoyable pets. The first step is to research the species available and the care required by each. While the basics of aquatic turtle care are similar for all species, potential owners need to consult specific care sheets for details on housing, environment and feeding for the species in which they are interested.

For beginners, the hardier turtles are recommended, such as red eared sliders, cooters, and mud and musk turtles, keeping in mind that sliders and cooters will reach a mature length of greater than 12 inches, while mud and musk turtles are about half that size. Map and painted turtles, as well as some of the less common species are a bit less hardy. Softshell and snapping turtles have a reputation for being large, aggressive, and generally more difficult to care for so are not good for beginners.

Beyond providing a proper environment and diet for aquatic turtles, they do not need a lot of attention, although regular interaction may result in a tame and sociable turtle. In any case, they are lovely and if properly cared for should provide years of enjoyment.

syilla
03-16-2007, 04:21 AM
Was she old :? I will post their pictures later:)
i able to keep her only for two weeks...then she couldn't take it anymore.

I have to find a friend for the other one.

Please suggest me what should i feed the turtle. i only feed him with small shrimps and spinach.

syilla
03-16-2007, 04:26 AM
What can be done to prevent turtle-associated salmonellosis?
Do not have a turtle in any household that includes children under 5, the elderly, or people who have lowered natural resistance to disease due to pregnancy, cancer, chemotherapy, organ transplants, diabetes, liver problems or other diseases. A family expecting a child should remove any pet reptile or amphibian from the home before the infant arrives.

Remember, turtles are cute, but contaminated.
Handle all turtles and surfaces that have come in contact with turtles as if they are contaminated with Salmonella, because there is a good possibility that they are.

Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water immediately after handling turtles or their cages, or after contact with pet feces.
Do not touch your face, other people or any surface until hands are washed.

Wash surfaces that the turtle or its cage has come in contact with.

Separate the turtle from possible contact with food:
Do not allow turtles to roam freely about a home or living area, and especially do not allow them in food preparation areas.
Kitchen sinks should not be used to bathe turtles or to wash their dishes, cages, or aquariums.
If bathtubs are used for these purposes, they should be cleaned thoroughly and disinfected with bleach.

Separate the turtle from contact with high-risk individuals:
Don't handle a turtle and an infant (e.g., feed, change diaper) at the same time.
Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before handling an infant or preparing a baby bottle.
Persons at increased risk for infection or serious complications from salmonellosis (e.g., children under 5, the elderly, or people who have lowered natural resistance to disease due to pregnancy, cancer, chemotherapy, organ transplants, diabetes, liver problems or other diseases) should avoid contact with reptiles and amphibians and any items that have been in contact with them[3].
Turtles should not be allowed in childcare centers or nursing homes.
Turtles in public settings (e.g., zoos and exhibits) should be kept from direct or indirect contact with patrons except in designated animal-contact areas equipped with adequate hand-washing facilities.
Food and drink should not be allowed in animal contact areas.

snakelegs
03-16-2007, 05:29 AM
won't they bite? :phew

i only have the slider one...i used to have two...but one is dead. :(
yes - alligator turtles are not a good choice for a pet. they can bite and they can bite hard. besides - they get huge. it was given to me and was a cute enough baby, but when i learned about them, i gave it back.
my last slider was a pig and just never stopped eating.

i'm glad you posted the articles about taking care of them. when i was a kid 146 years ago, we were entirely ignorant - sliders were sold everywhere. some even had painted shells! we had no idea of their nutritional needs and we didn't know that they must have light. so i never saw any that were over about 2 inches and i assumed that was their full size because none of them lived long enough to become adults.
because of the salmonella problem, a law was passed years ago that turtles under 4 inches can not be sold - this was because little kids put everything possible into their mouths.

aljawaad
03-16-2007, 06:06 AM
Ninja turtle is the best. I like Leonardo hes simply amazing.

Woodrow
03-16-2007, 06:36 AM
:sl:

I have always had Box Turtles. Last one I had for over 30 years, and she got "Turtle napped" I suspect who stole her, but couldn't prove it. I caught another female one for my grandkids 3 years ago. She is doing fine.

What makes them ideal is they are very docile, tame readily, eat well and adjust well to living in a house. They do hibernate for about 4 months of the year. They are not wanderers and are satisfied with just being able to wander around in one room. They can eat anything a person eats and a few things we can't. They are very solitary in the wild so they do not grieve for the company of another turtle. Plus, if you get tired of them it is safe to turn them loose in just about any state forest and they will do fine.

the above picture was not one of mine. i found that pic on google. but that is what they look like. At they do love berries. I think they would kill for strawberries.

north_malaysian
03-16-2007, 06:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I think they would kill for strawberries.
Ok.... next time I'll look around when I'm having strawberries... those tortoises might attack me....:skeleton:

north_malaysian
03-16-2007, 06:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aljawaad
Ninja turtle is the best. I like Leonardo hes simply amazing.
that one on the poll is rafael, right?

BlissfullyJaded
03-16-2007, 07:25 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by strider
The slider turtle looks 'adorable'. :D
Exactly what I was thinking.

Ok.... next time I'll look around when I'm having strawberries... those tortoises might attack me....:skeleton:
lol. That's a cute picture of the turtles amu Woodrow.

Here's a cute picture...which I didn't take. Never had a turtle, and wouldn't get one.

syilla
03-16-2007, 08:14 AM

MashaAllah this is soooooo cute. It is a good thing we don't have this in malaysia because strawberries are expensive.

I wonder who will kill for strawberries, the turtle or me? :rollseyes

syilla
03-16-2007, 08:20 AM
yes - alligator turtles are not a good choice for a pet. they can bite and they can bite hard. besides - they get huge. it was given to me and was a cute enough baby, but when i learned about them, i gave it back.
my last slider was a pig and just never stopped eating.
have you been bitten by it? :phew

i used to have three turtles...and yeah...never stopped eating until it was so big (bigger than the 17" monitor) that i've to let them go into one of the man made lake. I'm so worried of them...whether they could survive.

i'm glad you posted the articles about taking care of them. when i was a kid 146 years ago, we were entirely ignorant - sliders were sold everywhere. some even had painted shells! we had no idea of their nutritional needs and we didn't know that they must have light. so i never saw any that were over about 2 inches and i assumed that was their full size because none of them lived long enough to become adults.
because of the salmonella problem, a law was passed years ago that turtles under 4 inches can not be sold - this was because little kids put everything possible into their mouths.
painted shells???+o( oh my...pity the turtles. The paint chemicals are quite dangerous for the animals.

do you know why is only for turtles under 4 inches...? :?

syilla
03-16-2007, 08:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

Exactly what I was thinking.

lol. That's a cute picture of the turtles amu Woodrow.

Here's a cute picture...which I didn't take. Never had a turtle, and wouldn't get one.

do u think he will be in islamicboard right now? :rollseyes

syilla
03-16-2007, 08:44 AM
The experts recommend that you keep the turtle in an aquarium of a watertight plastic container. If you have one turtle, then you would need a 10 gallon tank. If you have 2 turtles, you would need a 20 gallon tank. The rule is to have 10 gallons per turtle. The aquarium has to be set up properly in order to allow the turtle to swim and to crawl out of the water to lie on a dry surface.

Turtles also need a a UV ray lamp to keep help them stay warm when resting on a dry surface. You can buy this lamp at the pet store. The lamp also helps the turtle dry off after being in the water. This keeps the turtle's skin healthy. Be careful not to leave the lamp on too long or the tank will get too hot. The temperature in the basking area should not exceed 90 deg F.

The best set up is to use one end of the aquarium as a basking area. It should be 1/3 of the aquarium (that's a bit less than half of the aquarium). You can use large rocks in the basking area. To make it easier for your turtle to get out of the water and on to the basking area, you can make a ramp of wood or plastic.

Tania
03-16-2007, 03:24 PM
The pictures are from 2005, i will take new one but until then:
He is Tojo 11 years old- the man of the turtles family:statisfie

She is Tomi will be 9 years old in august - the woman obviously:-[

I gave them chicken meat, fish meat or baby calmars.

snakelegs
03-16-2007, 09:03 PM
have you been bitten by it? :phew

i used to have three turtles...and yeah...never stopped eating until it was so big (bigger than the 17" monitor) that i've to let them go into one of the man made lake. I'm so worried of them...whether they could survive.

painted shells???+o( oh my...pity the turtles. The paint chemicals are quite dangerous for the animals.

do you know why is only for turtles under 4 inches...? :?
no - i never gave him a chance to bite. these guys can get well over 100 lbs.
yes - they used to paint designs on the turtle shells. i never bought those cuz i thought it was stupid. (at the time i didn't know either that it was harmful). they stopped doing that years ago.
the 4 inches rule on the red-eared sliders is probably because some guy with a college degree decided that small children will only put things in their mouths that are 11+ inches but not 4 inches! :giggling:

'Abd al-Baari
03-16-2007, 09:52 PM

On average how much does a turtle cost to buy? and to take care of?

Jazakallah

Woodrow
03-16-2007, 10:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah2907

On average how much does a turtle cost to buy? and to take care of?

Jazakallah
I have yet to pay for a turtle. They are very common and most are legal to catch in Texas. However I have seen them for sale in pet stores here. older box turtle will go for over $100 and Iberian tortises will sell for for about $200.

I have not seen any aquatic turtles for sale. They used to be a major industry here and to catch red-ears and sliders required a special license. All of the Salt water ones are illegal to have here.

The cost of carrying for one is very low. I would estimate I have never paid over $10 a year for the upkeep of my box turtles.

north_malaysian
03-17-2007, 02:12 AM
. It is a good thing we don't have this in malaysia because strawberries are expensive.
Actually you can grow strawberry.... my aunt grows some blueberries

north_malaysian
03-17-2007, 02:15 AM
was so big (bigger than the 17" monitor) that i've to let them go into one of the man made lake. I'm so worried of them...whether they could survive.
THAT'S ONE GIANT PET TURTLE!!!!:phew

Which lake syilla? Titiwangsa or Perdana?

north_malaysian
03-17-2007, 02:17 AM
I thought they are herbivores.... :omg: they also east meat?:skeleton:

Tania
03-17-2007, 04:54 AM
I thought they are herbivores.... :omg: they also east meat?:skeleton:
I do have this turtles: here you can see their head and mine when i bought them were much smaller than this:

They like only the meat. Casual are eating corn, banana or apple slices. but only like dessert, after the meat.

'Abd al-Baari
03-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Jazakallah bro Woodrow

arif
03-17-2007, 12:12 PM
ninja turtle ...

i remember watching the cartoon , asnt bad .. hehe

Tania
03-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Turtle fight:

Violent images from a lively ninja fight of two turtles for the small cricket garden.
The fight:

and the winner is:

paki waky
03-18-2007, 05:33 PM
salaam im new here how r u im a sister also. so wuch u duin?

paki waky
03-18-2007, 05:34 PM
I LOVE TURTLES! hehehehehe.

syilla
03-19-2007, 01:01 AM
Turtle fight:

Violent images from a lively ninja fight of two turtles for the small cricket garden.
The fight:

and the winner is:

MashaAllah...violence are everywhere now days... :D

That is so cute...is nice of you to put them in the garden...and let them enjoy the grasses.

I usually don't have the time. :-[

syilla
03-19-2007, 01:22 AM
The pictures are from 2005, i will take new one but until then:
He is Tojo 11 years old- the man of the turtles family:statisfie

She is Tomi will be 9 years old in august - the woman obviously:-[

MashaAllah....11 years and 9 years????

how do u keep up with them? you must have a big house lol:D

syilla
03-19-2007, 01:23 AM
Actually you can grow strawberry.... my aunt grows some blueberries
well...i'm not the kind who has 'green fingers'.

THAT'S ONE GIANT PET TURTLE!!!!

Which lake syilla? Titiwangsa or Perdana?
its big...and i remember there was one chinese lady who offered to buy them from me. and you can guess...what she wants them for...:raging:

lake near my house...but the lake is dirty. i wonder how are they now. But sometimes when i'm at the lake....i can find turtles there. :statisfie

Khayal
03-19-2007, 01:29 AM

I am not a turtle maniac, so you won't see me here, sorry.

:w:

paki waky
03-19-2007, 01:39 AM
ima maniac maniac lalalallaa la............:D :?

paki waky
03-19-2007, 01:40 AM
so everyone hows it going im new here does any sister want to chat. i like the normal people here. im kool as well.

snakelegs
03-19-2007, 02:03 AM
syilla,
what kind of monitor did you have? i had a savannah monitor that i rescued from a pet store as a baby with severe calcium deficiency. he was a huge eater. when he got about 3 feet long, i gave him to someone who had more room.

syilla
03-19-2007, 02:39 AM
syilla,

what kind of monitor did you have? i had a savannah monitor that i rescued from a pet store as a baby with severe calcium deficiency. he was a huge eater. when he got about 3 feet long, i gave him to someone who had more room.
i don't really know what kind it was...

i'm so like you...i feel like rescuing all the animals from the pet store...lol
especially the turtles...(the 4" kind :D )

snakelegs
03-19-2007, 02:49 AM
i don't really know what kind it was...

i'm so like you...i feel like rescuing all the animals from the pet store...lol
especially the turtles...(the 4" kind :D )
well, after going through trying to save about 6 snakes, i did learn eventually not to do this - esp. with reptiles - with reptiles by the time an illness is obvious, it is usually too late to save them. success stories are a minority.
the reptile trade is slowly improving, but in general, it is best to buy directly from a reputable breeder. in the u.s. and u.k. there are frequent reptile shows where you can go and interview breeders.
as far as capturing critters in the wild, i've had the best luck with baby snakes, and desert banded geckos. these guys are really cute and very hardy too. i feed them crickets and meal worms.

syilla
03-19-2007, 02:53 AM
Turtle swallowed by dog survives ordeal

LITHIA, Fla., Feb. 16 (UPI) -- A pet turtle in Florida survived a voyage into the digestive tract of a family dog with only minor injuries.

Pepper, a turtle owned by 12-year-old Shelby Terihay, was swallowed by Bella, the family's golden retriever. The turtle was spending the night in a bathtub inside the Lithia, Fla., house to avoid cold temperatures outside, the St. Petersburg Times reported Friday.

When the turtle's absence was noticed and Bella was acting suspiciously nearby, Shelby informed her parents of the proper course of action: force the dog to drink hydrogen peroxide and prepare for a great deal of vomit.

"I basically wrote the turtle off," said Shelby's father, explaining that the turtle had been inside the dog for about 10 minutes. "I was thinking, 'There's no way.'"

But when the family took the heaving dog outside, the little green turtle was expelled from Bella's mouth and began to crawl.

The family said Pepper was treated by a veterinarian for a cracked shell and had to take medicine for a time, but both the turtle and the dog are now in good health.

Copyright Political Gateway 2006©
Copyright United Press International 2006
It is a good thing turtle has to carry its shell everywhere.

syilla
03-19-2007, 02:59 AM
well, after going through trying to save about 6 snakes, i did learn eventually not to do this - esp. with reptiles - with reptiles by the time an illness is obvious, it is usually too late to save them. success stories are a minority.
the reptile trade is slowly improving, but in general, it is best to buy directly from a reputable breeder. in the u.s. and u.k. there are frequent reptile shows where you can go and interview breeders.
as far as capturing critters in the wild, i've had the best luck with baby snakes, and desert banded geckos. these guys are really cute and very hardy too. i feed them crickets and meal worms.
why don't you post the pictures here. i would love to see them.

north_malaysian
03-19-2007, 03:07 AM

They like only the meat. Casual are eating corn, banana or apple slices. but only like dessert, after the meat.
:omg: ............... i think they'll ask for appetiser after this. :okay:

north_malaysian
03-19-2007, 03:11 AM
lake near my house...but the lake is dirty. i wonder how are they now. But sometimes when i'm at the lake....i can find turtles there. :statisfie
I hope they dont dump toxic waste there.... we dont have Ultraman to save us if your turtles became those "raksaksa" (monsters):skeleton:

snakelegs
03-19-2007, 03:18 AM
why don't you post the pictures here. i would love to see them.
ok. here's a couple more banded geckos. you can see the hemipenes in the one pix - right behind the hind legs.
savannah monitor head shot, showing tongue and one showing the pattern.
i am fortunate to live in an area (southern california) rich in reptiles. i also have 4 native snakes that i found in the desert.
i can only post 3 pix so i'll send the other savannah monitor one separately.

snakelegs
03-19-2007, 03:21 AM
here's the other monitor pic plus a head shot of a rosy boa. i have one of these now.
don't want to hijack your turtle thread!

Woodrow
03-19-2007, 03:50 AM
Your monitor looks like the one that has the common name of "Black Tegu" I had a pair of them a long time ago. Vicous critters and love to eat birds.

Tania
03-19-2007, 03:54 AM
Vicous critters and love to eat birds.
They can catch a bird or you fed to them :?

Woodrow
03-19-2007, 04:00 AM
They can catch a bird or you fed to them :?
They can catch them very easily. However I fed the pair I had things like mice, rats and chunks of beef.

A pet shop that dealt in exotics ordered them for me. I asked them not to open the crate when it came and just call me to come get it. A nosey employee decided to see what they were and opened the box. Darn things got loose and tore into the Bird cages, killed almost all of the parakeets, before I got there to recatch them.

snakelegs
03-19-2007, 04:06 AM
monitors' appetities are bottomless pits!! i fed mine mostly mice, but also snake eggs that didn't hatch, as well as stillborn baby snakes. (he really liked these 2 items!)
savannah monitors are pretty mellow, but monitors don't really make the greatest pets - most get way too big and some can be pretty nasty.
there are some small monitors from australia, but all i know about them is that they are expensive.
i had a friend who had a red tegu. i think most of these also get pretty big, don't they woodrow?

syilla
03-19-2007, 04:08 AM
TurtleSite.com has obtained a complete listing of extinct turtles and tortoises from the IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources, Red List. After searching their database, the following information has been compiled and provided to you to show which turtles and tortoises around the world have become extinct. Scientific Name

Common Name(s)
Aspideretes nigricans BLACK SOFT-SHELL TURTLE
Cuora yunnanensis YUNNAN BOX TURTLE
Pelusios seychellensis SEYCHELLES BLACK TERRAPIN
SEYCHELLES MUD TURTLE
SEYCHELLES TERRAPIN

Woodrow
03-19-2007, 04:14 AM
monitors' appetities are bottomless pits!! i fed mine mostly mice, but also snake eggs that didn't hatch, as well as stillborn baby snakes. (he really liked these 2 items!)
savannah monitors are pretty mellow, but monitors don't really make the greatest pets - most get way too big and some can be pretty nasty.
there are some small monitors from australia, but all i know about them is that they are expensive.
i had a friend who had a red tegu. i think most of these also get pretty big, don't they woodrow?
the two I had got to be nearly 4 feet long counting the tail. the tail was also dangerous they could use it like a whip and it did hurt. the bite was real nasty. I only kept them about 2 years and then gave them to a Zoo. I would have kept them longer, but I was more interested in Boas and pythons and they were not compatable.

At the time I got them they cost me $100 each. That was in the 1970s But salaries were much lower then and that was about 2 weeks pay for me.

Woodrow
03-19-2007, 04:19 AM
TurtleSite.com has obtained a complete listing of extinct turtles and tortoises from the IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources, Red List. After searching their database, the following information has been compiled and provided to you to show which turtles and tortoises around the world have become extinct. Scientific Name

Common Name(s)
Aspideretes nigricans BLACK SOFT-SHELL TURTLE
Cuora yunnanensis YUNNAN BOX TURTLE
Pelusios seychellensis SEYCHELLES BLACK TERRAPIN
SEYCHELLES MUD TURTLE
SEYCHELLES TERRAPIN
Sadly the list keeps growing. Creatures that are capable of living for over 100 years and have remained unchanged for millions of years we are now killing off in periods of less than a decade.

I am always saddened at the sight of a dead turtle. something like watching history evaporate.

syilla
03-19-2007, 04:23 AM
TurtleSite.com has obtained a complete listing of endangered turtles and tortoises from the IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources, Red List. After searching their database, the following information has been compiled and provided to you to show which turtles and tortoises around the world are endangered, including critically endangered species.

Apalone ater
CUATRO CIENEGAS SOFTSHELL

Batagur baska
BATAGUR
COMMON BATAGUR
FOUR-TOED TERRAPIN
RIVER TERRAPIN
BATAGUR MALAIS
GALÁPAGO BATAGUR

Callagur borneoensis
PAINTED BATAGUR
PAINTED TERRAPIN
SAW-JAWED TURTLE
THREE-STRIPED BATAGUR

Caretta caretta
LOGGERHEAD
CAOUANNE
TORTUE CAOUANNE
CAYUMA
TORTUGA BOBA

Chelodina mccordi
ROTI ISLAND SNAKE-NECKED TURTLE

Chelodina pritchardi
PRITCHARD'S SNAKE-NECKED TURTLE

Chelonia mydas
GREEN TURTLE
TORTUE COMESTIBLE
TORTUE FRANCHE
TORTUE VERTE
TORTUGA BLANCA
TORTUGA VERDE

Chinemys megalocephala
CHINESE BROAD-HEADED POND TURTLE

Chinemys nigricans
CHINESE POND TURTLE
CHINESE THREE-KEELED POND TURTLE
GOLDEN TURTLE
JAPANESE COIN TURTLE

Chitra chitra
STRIPED NARROW-HEADED SOFTSHELL TURTLE

Chitra indica
NARROW-HEADED SOFTSHELL TURTLE

Clemmys muhlenbergii
BOG TURTLE

Cuora aurocapitata
YELLOW-HEADED BOX TURTLE

Cuora flavomarginata
YELLOW-MARGINED BOX TURTLE

Cuora galbinifrons
INDOCHINESE BOX TURTLE

Cuora mccordi
MCCORD'S BOX TURTLE

Cuora pani
PAN'S BOX TURTLE

Cuora trifasciata
CHINESE THREE-STRIPED BOX TURTLE

Cuora zhoui
ZHOU'S BOX TURTLE

Dermatemys mawii
CENTRAL AMERICAN RIVER TURTLE
DERMATEMYDE DE MAWE
TORTUE DE TABASCO
PLANA
TORTUGA BLANCA

Dermochelys coriacea
LEATHERBACK
LEATHERY TURTLE
LUTH
TRUNKBACK TURTLE
TORTUE LUTH
BAULA
CANAL
CARDON
TINGLADA
TINGLAR
TORTUGA LAUD

Elseya bellii
NAMOI RIVER SNAPPING TURTLE

Elusor macrurus
MARY RIVER TURTLE

to be continue...

There are alot more actually imsad and i will post it later.

snakelegs
03-19-2007, 04:27 AM
the two I had got to be nearly 4 feet long counting the tail. the tail was also dangerous they could use it like a whip and it did hurt. the bite was real nasty. I only kept them about 2 years and then gave them to a Zoo. I would have kept them longer, but I was more interested in Boas and pythons and they were not compatable.

At the time I got them they cost me $100 each. That was in the 1970s But salaries were much lower then and that was about 2 weeks pay for me.
monitors do that thing with the tail also. sounds like neither ones are good pet material for the average person. well (ahem!) boas and pythons are ever so much more interesting - of course!)
back to turtles (my experience with these is much less than with snakes and lizards), i never saw so many turtles (desert box turtles) running around at one time in my life as i saw in the big bend area of texas!
i find box turtles much harder to keep because it's hard to provide the right nutritional balance with vegetarians. i had a baby box turtle once and he preferred snails and worms - it was very hard to get him to eat veggies. the young ones do eat meat.

Woodrow
03-19-2007, 04:33 AM
it was very hard to get him to eat veggies. the young ones do eat meat.
True it is almost like fruits become an acquired taste for them Oddly they are one of the few creatures that will eat slugs and they seem to love them no matter how old they get.

north_malaysian
03-19-2007, 04:33 AM
you fed them with baby snakes?:cry:

north_malaysian
03-19-2007, 04:36 AM
TurtleSite.com has obtained a complete listing of endangered turtles and tortoises from the IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources, Red List. After searching their database, the following information has been compiled and provided to you to show which turtles and tortoises around the world are endangered, including critically endangered species.

Apalone ater
CUATRO CIENEGAS SOFTSHELL

Batagur baska
BATAGUR
COMMON BATAGUR
FOUR-TOED TERRAPIN
RIVER TERRAPIN
BATAGUR MALAIS
GALÁPAGO BATAGUR

Callagur borneoensis
PAINTED BATAGUR
PAINTED TERRAPIN
SAW-JAWED TURTLE
THREE-STRIPED BATAGUR

Caretta caretta
LOGGERHEAD
CAOUANNE
TORTUE CAOUANNE
CAYUMA
TORTUGA BOBA

Chelodina mccordi
ROTI ISLAND SNAKE-NECKED TURTLE

Chelodina pritchardi
PRITCHARD'S SNAKE-NECKED TURTLE

Chelonia mydas
GREEN TURTLE
TORTUE COMESTIBLE
TORTUE FRANCHE
TORTUE VERTE
TORTUGA BLANCA
TORTUGA VERDE

Chinemys megalocephala
CHINESE BROAD-HEADED POND TURTLE

Chinemys nigricans
CHINESE POND TURTLE
CHINESE THREE-KEELED POND TURTLE
GOLDEN TURTLE
JAPANESE COIN TURTLE

Chitra chitra
STRIPED NARROW-HEADED SOFTSHELL TURTLE

Chitra indica
NARROW-HEADED SOFTSHELL TURTLE

Clemmys muhlenbergii
BOG TURTLE

Cuora aurocapitata
YELLOW-HEADED BOX TURTLE

Cuora flavomarginata
YELLOW-MARGINED BOX TURTLE

Cuora galbinifrons
INDOCHINESE BOX TURTLE

Cuora mccordi
MCCORD'S BOX TURTLE

Cuora pani
PAN'S BOX TURTLE

Cuora trifasciata
CHINESE THREE-STRIPED BOX TURTLE

Cuora zhoui
ZHOU'S BOX TURTLE

Dermatemys mawii
CENTRAL AMERICAN RIVER TURTLE
DERMATEMYDE DE MAWE
TORTUE DE TABASCO
PLANA
TORTUGA BLANCA

Dermochelys coriacea
LEATHERBACK
LEATHERY TURTLE
LUTH
TRUNKBACK TURTLE
TORTUE LUTH
BAULA
CANAL
CARDON
TINGLADA
TINGLAR
TORTUGA LAUD

Elseya bellii
NAMOI RIVER SNAPPING TURTLE

Elusor macrurus
MARY RIVER TURTLE

to be continue...

There are alot more actually imsad and i will post it later.
How many of those species listed living in Malaysia?

It's saddened me to see some Malaysians eating turtles/tortoises/terrapins for medical purposes - especially APHRODISIAC ... yucks .... :enough!:

syilla
03-19-2007, 04:37 AM
the still born ones...lol

snakelegs
03-19-2007, 04:46 AM
blasphemy!!!!! :raging:
what is the muslim equivilant for "god forbid!"

syilla
03-19-2007, 04:51 AM
naudhu(z)billah... i think

north_malaysian
03-19-2007, 04:52 AM
blasphemy!!!!! :raging:
what is the muslim equivilant for "god forbid!"
sorry ... I dont really look at that "stillborn" word..... :okay:

syilla
03-30-2007, 02:10 AM
:salamext: to the muslims and good day to the non muslims

sorry....i'm not in the mood to post anything in this thread. coz my turtle has died imsad

anyway...there is one current news...that make me so angry and i would like to share with you.

70 turtles seized from vessels
27 Mar 2007

KOTA KINABALU: More than 70 turtles, including six live ones, were seized from two Chinese fishing boats in waters near Pulau Mantanani yesterday.

The marine police detained 19 men, all believed to be from Hainan.

In the incident some 110km from here, 15 of them were arrested aboard a 30-metre fishing vessel while four, including two in divers’ suits, were found in a smaller boat.

It is believed the four were trying to flee when they saw police approaching.

Investigations revealed the vessel left Hainan on March 15 and arrived in Malaysian waters four days later.

In May 2004, 12 fishermen, also from Hainan, China, were caught in waters off Kota Belud and 163 turtle carcasses were recovered from their vessel.

All were subsequently jailed for encroachment.

District marine police chief Deputy Superintendent Ro- bert Salisip said the 19 were being investigated for encroachment and possession of protected species.

He said the arrest at 11.20am was made by a team led by Chief Inspector Aris Jambul.

"The vessel sped away when the marine police boat approached. It also tried to ram into the latter twice before it was forced to stop 30 minutes later."

Aris said his men found turtle carcasses, most of which were already preserved with formalin, on board the vessel.

The animals are in high demand in China for medicinal purposes.
source

:raging: :raging:

:laugh:

Khayal
03-30-2007, 02:19 AM

Awwww, sorry to hear that...I am feeling the same way because I have lost one of my parrots..:( :cry:

syilla
03-30-2007, 02:19 AM
yeah...to add a bit.

only six are alive imsad

syilla
03-30-2007, 02:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khayal

Awwww, sorry to hear that...I am feeling the same way because I have lost one of my parrots..:( :cry:

Thank you...InshaAllah he'll be happier there :cry:

Khayal
03-30-2007, 02:25 AM
Thank you...InshaAllah he'll be happier there :cry:

InshaAllah....:)

Tania
03-30-2007, 03:00 AM
I am very sorry to hear about your turtle :(

Regarding the chinese - this people should be sentenced to life time jail. Are so many organisations which fight to protect the marine life and this people are making fun from their efforts and destroy the turtles. :raging:
Shame on them.

Aisha!
05-24-2007, 03:45 AM
you like turtles allot

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.