/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Study: Playing Video Games Improves Eyesight

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-15-2007, 11:20 PM
:sl:
Playing "Gears of War," "Lost Planet," "Halo (:D)" and other action video games that involve firing guns can improve your eyesight, new research claims.

Sedate games like "Tetris" don't work.

People who started out as non-gamers and then received 30 hours of training on first-person action video games showed a substantial increase in their ability to see objects accurately in a cluttered space, compared to non-gamers given the same test, said Daphne Bevelier of the University of Rochester.

Most aspects of vision have to do with the size of one's eye and the thickness and shape of the cornea and lens. But some visual defects are neural in nature, said Bevelier, author of the new study on vision and video games published in the journal Psychological Science.

First-person action games helped study subjects improve their spatial resolution, meaning their ability to clearly see small, closely packed together objects, such as letters, she said. Game-playing actually changes the way our brains process visual information.

"These games push the human visual system to the limits and the brain adapts to it," she said, in a prepared statement. "That learning carries over into other activities and possibly everyday life."

The finding suggests that playing first-person action video games could be a useful rehabilitation therapy for people with certain vision problems, she said, such as amblyopia (or lazy eye) and the simple effects of aging.

Another study has showed that playing certain virtual reality games that involved physical motion helped stroke victims improve their ability to walk eventually.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
03-15-2007, 11:22 PM
i just decided to stop playin what you tryna do to me bro !!!

Pk_#2
03-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:'(

Time wasting.

Peace! :)

Erundur
03-15-2007, 11:34 PM
:salamext:
Video Games are great for people who want to be Surgeons, Kudos bro. :thumbs_up

Suck it all you parents interest groups :p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
03-15-2007, 11:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Erundur

LOOOOL ;D ;D

Pk_#2
03-15-2007, 11:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Erundur
Video Games are great for people who want to be Surgeons, Kudos bro. :thumbs_up

:X :omg:

IbnAbdulHakim
03-17-2007, 05:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by goldberg
i dont believe that
might that be because we are true gamers :p?

It might be true :)

Hemoo
03-17-2007, 08:15 PM
well if what you say is true then we must make a sight improving cd full of this usefull games :-) :D :D :D

and we can sell it with a high price and make every cd improves an eye

one for the left eye and the other for the right eye

What do you think brother ????? :D

'Abd al-Baari
03-17-2007, 10:36 PM
I thought playing video games worsens eyesight because of the strain on the eyes

Alhamdulillah i've been proven wrong
Jazakllah for sharing

SATalha
03-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Heavy more lost planet 4 me...or maybe not my 36is givin me probz.

peacechaser
03-18-2007, 06:32 AM

Jazakallah for sharing the profits of playing game bro. Allah was not created everything with no purpose. But still, in my opinion a game can pull us into an addiction, which can make us lost ourselves about worldly things.

:w:

Strzelecki
03-18-2007, 07:09 AM
I don't play games as much as I used to...I unno, kinda grew out of them. I will on occasion, though. I guess.

Good find. :)

aamirsaab
03-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Playing Video Games Improves Eyesight

Malaikah
03-18-2007, 09:56 AM

^LOL!

Anyway, that is misleading, it didn't improve eye sight... it improved their ability to notice things differently.:rollseyes

Don't throw out those glasses just yet...

Al-Zaara
03-18-2007, 12:04 PM

Like most things, playing those video games has its positive sides but also negative ones. For example addiction which leads to leaving studies, wasting precious time, etc.

syilla
03-19-2007, 03:07 AM
:uuh: :uuh:

don't tell that to my 4 year old son. (my hubby already bough him a gameboy :uuh:)

they should re-study.

Muezzin
03-29-2007, 01:06 AM
My younger brother wears glasses and is excellent at FPS's, whereas I suck at them.

However, I don't need glasses. Go figure.

MuHiTH
03-29-2007, 09:45 AM
FPS are great, but it can be time consuming, so we must not get addicted to it

E'jaazi
03-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Why not spend that time reading the Qu'ran? Just a reminder for us all.

Hayate
04-03-2007, 05:28 AM
Asa

Well, actually it completely depends on how seriously you take the game. If you become so involved that your character's life becomes your own life in your mind, then your brain will adapt to make sure you (your character) survives.

Then again, there are better ways to improve your eyesight (as well as other things): If you do a physical activity such as martial arts or juggling or whatever, then your eye sight will improve further as well as at a further rate.

I'm no expert, but I'm just speaking from my personal experiences.

Opethian
04-30-2007, 01:24 PM
This is a nice finding, but obviously you cannot oversimplify this study as "gaming is good for your eyes". The test subjects started out as non-gamers, and only played for 30 hours. Consequently, it is only a short term effect they measured, and other studies have shown intensive gaming (or anything else involving staring at a screen for long periods) to damage eyesight on long term periods. However, that doesn't change the fact that many games are good for the development such as eye-hand coordination, problem solving skills, language, reflexes, etc... It's just a matter of taking these studies into context, and of course, doing things like gaming in moderation.

Opethian
04-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Btw, I am an avid gamer :p. Also, I am new to this board, can anyone tell me how to edit my posts, because I screwed up a sentence near the end of my previous post.

aamirsaab
04-30-2007, 01:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Opethian
.....Also, I am new to this board, can anyone tell me how to edit my posts, because I screwed up a sentence near the end of my previous post.
click me

Opethian
04-30-2007, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Thanks for the info! :D

NobleMuslimUK
05-08-2007, 02:42 PM
I play gears of war a lot. Anyone wanna share their online ID's?

vpb
05-08-2007, 02:46 PM
pffffffff too many philosofies, improves eyesight, but then it destroys eyesights.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.