/* */

PDA

View Full Version : arabic word for gas

arif
03-16-2007, 04:54 AM
assalamualaikum ,

the arabic word for gas is ghaz ... thats wat ive come to know ...

cud some1 jus help me to know if the word existed when the Quran was revealed ???

just in case if u know ....

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
amirah_87
03-16-2007, 01:29 PM
:sl:

Na'am, the arabic word for gas is ghaaz, but I'm quite sure the word itself isn't arabic but it's "Mu'arrab" (Made into arabic / arabicfied .. etc etc).
Therefore i doubt that it's in the Qur'aan.

Wallaahu a'lam. :)

Woodrow
03-16-2007, 01:38 PM
I suspect the word did exist in the Arabic language at that time. And if memory serves me correctly the English word gas in reference to the gaseous state of matter was derived from it.

However I suspect if Ghaz is now being used in Arabic for Gasoline (Petrol) it is a different word and came from American slang. Same word spelling and pronunciation but from different sources and with different meanings.

Gas as the word for Gasoline is only about 100 years old. It was a slang word for gasoline. Text speech of 100 years ago.

So I would say Ghaz in reference to air did exist

Ghaz in reference to petro did not exist.

NoName55
03-16-2007, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by arif
assalamualaikum ,

the arabic word for gas is ghaz ... thats wat ive come to know ...

cud some1 jus help me to know if the word existed when the Quran was revealed ???

just in case if u know ....

try searching for this

غاز الميثان

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
amirah_87
03-16-2007, 01:43 PM

^ MashaAllah,

Jus to clear: I was refering to petrol in my post up there. I have no idea what the actual gas would be called? :-\ ..

Or if they even have it in arabic?

Hmm d'you think they might refer to it as air in general :p as : Hawaa'? lol

Allaahu a'lam, it's interestin though .. :)

Woodrow
03-16-2007, 03:07 PM
I just did a search the English word "gas" was coined by Helmont to describe what we know call the gaseous state of matter.

[Dutch, an occult physical principle supposed to be present in all bodies, alteration of Greek khaos, chaos, empty space, coined by Jan Baptista van Helmont (1577–1644), Flemish chemist.]

The word Ghaz never did refer to that definition of gas. As best as I can find the old Arabic word Ghaz meant something like treasure. Gaza came from the word Ghaz as did the name of the animal gazelle. Several old Cities have Ghaz in their name.

It does appear that the closest Arabic word for Gas at the time of the Qur'an would be the Arabic word for smoke Dukhan. Which is used in the Qur'an 41:11

arif
03-17-2007, 11:40 AM
jazakallah fer the help brothers ...

i think the post above me clears it . but i wish some1 wud provide me a link 2 some site saying the same, if possible

allah hafiz

Woodrow
03-17-2007, 06:22 PM

I think it would be a good point to show that the concept of gas did not occur in people until Helmont in the 16 Century.

As a chemist he deserves to be regarded as the founder of pneumatic chemistry, even though it made no substantial progress for a century after his time, and he was the first to understand that there are gases distinct in kind from atmospheric air.

The very word "gas" he claims as his own invention, and he perceived that his "gas sylvestre" (our carbon dioxide) given off by burning charcoal is the same as that produced by fermenting must and that which sometimes renders the air of caves irrespirable. For him air and water are the two primitive elements of things.
Source: http://www.crystalinks.com/helmont.html

He investigated gases, notably carbon dioxide, which he discovered in various sources, and it was he who first applied the name gas (geist) to this family of substances. He applied the balance in his
Source: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07212b.htm

the world had no concept of "gas" until Then so the old Arabic word Ghaz did not mean "gas" There was no word for gas in any language until Helmont coined the word.

Woodrow
03-17-2007, 06:33 PM

At the time the Qur'an was revealed, the only Arabic word that would have the connontation of Gas would be Dukhan. although the literal meaning is smoke, it is an excellent word to describe Hot gas.

Woodrow
03-17-2007, 06:48 PM

Brother Arif, I believe I have found the argument you must be trying to refute with a non-Believer. It is an old argument and is basicaly nonsensical.

The Qur'an was written for all people for all times. Not all people have scientific training, the Qur'an does not use any scientific terminology so it is understandable to all. Dukhan is the ideal word to convey the concept of a hot gaseous material in a term all people can visualize,

Now, for the person you are refuting the burden of proof is upon him/her.

Just state the simple fact that Ghaz did not mean gas at the time of the Prophet(pbuh), which it can be shown the concept of gas did not come about until the 16th century, your opponent needs to come up with a valid reference that it did mean gas at the time of the Prophet(pbuh).

You do not have to prove such a reference does not exist, that person needs to prove it does.

arif
03-18-2007, 12:25 PM
salaams ,

gr8 point there brother woodrow ,

ive already linked him this page , he sadi he was satiisfied with the answer ...

jazakallah 2 all of r hard wrk , brothers ...

allah hafiz

habibti4allah7
03-18-2007, 06:16 PM
really? wow i didnt know what....i guess thats the word of the day lol

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.