PDA

View Full Version : Stamp Collecting

north_malaysian
03-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Anybody who loves stamp collecting?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
03-16-2007, 08:23 AM
only you i guess. i collect stamps when i was in primary school then i stopped. i think i gave them all up...i must think again...to whom did i gave...hmm...

vpb
03-16-2007, 08:32 AM
only you i guess. i collect stamps when i was in primary school then i stopped. i think i gave them all up...i must think again...to whom did i gave...hmm...
yee, cuz now you gotta start collecting money instead of stamps :P

shible
03-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Yo dude count me in

I still have my stamp collection which i did 8 years back

i have about 1 big album and two small albums

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
wilberhum
03-16-2007, 04:19 PM
My wife collects stamps.
I collect coins.
Interested in some trading?

shible
03-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Indeed

but it takes more time for a transaction i think

Kittygyal
03-16-2007, 06:17 PM
salamualikum.
lol i do PINK stamps :p
ma'assalama

north_malaysian
03-17-2007, 01:58 AM
I have like 3,000+ stamps, 5 big albums, and 2 small boxes of stamps... :p

I have lots of extra stamps especially from Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand and UK....

I'll try to post them here .... if anyone wanna trade...

Also will post my favourite stamps too... Inshallah... just gimme several days...(to scan those little things) :okay:

Asyur an-Nagi
03-17-2007, 07:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Anybody who loves stamp collecting?
what a childish stuff:giggling: (just kidding)

i was so in that (when i was 12). i had 4 large albums. but when i was about to enter the highschool, i sold it all to my ex-girlfriend (with an ex-girlfriend price):thumbs_up

Malaikah
03-17-2007, 07:29 AM
:sl:

What is the point of stamp collecting?:?

shible
03-17-2007, 07:47 AM

It's a hooby

Some have hoobies of Collecting Stamps, Coins, Signatures, Old Photos, Butterflies, Sports Posters, Automobile Posters,

Growing Aquarium

And many more

Do u know that it takes Dedication rather than entertainment to maintain them.

and these are general Hobbies

some have strange and unpredictable hobbies which even we cannot analyse or imagine

:w:

Tania
03-17-2007, 11:21 AM
I just check up my old small album and i don't have a collection. Here each collection must have 6 stamps. I have 4 upto 5 from each.

Mawaddah
03-17-2007, 12:11 PM
No...... I never saw the point in stamps, In fact I never even look at the stamps that come on my mail :lol:

Collecting coins is more interesting but i'm so careless that I lose them everytime *sigh*

arif
03-17-2007, 12:18 PM
naa , never found it interesting ...

Muezzin
03-17-2007, 03:58 PM
I collect dust.

That sucked hard, even by my standards.

Eric H
03-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Hello Muezzin;

I collect dust.
You are spending too much time on the computer, if you move around a bit more the dust won’t collect on you.:enough!: :enough!: :enough!:

That sucked hard, even by my standards
You can improve your dust collecting sucking function, get a bigger vacuum cleaner.:enough!: :enough!: :enough!:

shible
03-17-2007, 08:25 PM
if this was posted on Muzzein's official thread then the reply would be pretty funnny

Woodrow
03-18-2007, 05:07 AM
Stamp collecting is a very interesting and complex hobby. It can be just a child hood collection of saving stamps that come from foreign countries.

It is odd to look at a small bit of paper and then realize that it has traveled many thousand of miles. Who sent it to who, what tales could it tell if it could talk.

People who fall in love with stamps usually begin to specialize. This can be a topical collection of stamps of the same theme. some people collect stamps with horses on them, some collect birds others collect historical figures.

As a person progresses in stamp collecting they discover much about the culture and languages of people of other nations. You soon discover that you need to develop a rudimentary education in Languages just to identify what country it is from. How can you tell if a stamp is from China or Japan. What is the difference between stamps from Hejaz and from Tanna Tuva. Where on Earth is Carptho-Ukraine?

Philately soon becomes an educational process in geography, culture and languages. Then at some point you discover the subtle differences in cancellations and the stories they tell. You eventually learn the history of paper postage stamps and learn the first printed stamp was the One Penny black from GB and that the world's rarest stamp is the one penny, hand cancelled with clipped corners from New Guinea and you learn the History of how a young school boy was the first known owner of it and how it eventually became the most valuable stamp ever found.

Stamp collecting is much more than a shoe box full of little bits of paper, it is watching world history unfold through the eyes of the common person.

The stories they tell. Just the feel of the differences in the paper used. How the paper of stamps from Azerbaijan feel so different from the paper used for the stamps from San Marino. Then the oddity of the Gold Foil stamps from Tongo where at the time the gold foil was cheaper than paper.

My favorite Personal collection was my collection of Carptho-Ukraine stamps. I had an example of every Stamp type ever issued by the country. My pride a complete country Country Collection. Every stamp issued from Scott catalog # 1 to Scott catalog #1. The Country had only issued one stamp in the 12 or 14 hours it existed as a Country. The country ceased to exist before the stamp could ever be used to mail a letter.

shible
03-18-2007, 05:25 AM
Cool Bro this information will them others realize not all efforts fall as a Crap as they describe about these kind of Hobbies.

Since i never looked down to any kind of hooby but instead i try to find the best part of that guy.

Even hobbies reflect character......

Yet the Dedication Shown towards that is wat really Amazes me

BlissfullyJaded
03-18-2007, 06:40 AM

I never really collected stamps. I only kept a few from some countries if they looked pretty. My brother used to collect 'em, and when he stopped collecting, he chose me to give 'em up to. They're somewhere in my room, I think.

Although, reading amu Woodrow's post makes me want to start collecting stamps now.

shible
03-18-2007, 06:50 AM
That's the spirit Sis,

Abdul-Raouf
03-18-2007, 07:13 AM
Ha ha.. cool thread.. related to one of my past hobby..

I was a mad collector of stamps... 9 years back... and that hobby remained just for abt 2 years..

The most loved one i had was a kuwati- golden- circular stamp..... i lost it some where..

Even now ....I have stamps from 73 different countries(just now after seeing this thread..i took those old albums after a long long time and counted)...I have Lot of beautiful stamps... with different shapes....

Woodrow
03-18-2007, 07:24 AM

Stamp collecting is a very enjoyable low cost hobby. Although it is possible to spend Millions of dollars on some of the extreme rarities an enjoyable collection should not be done with the anticipation of making money. It should be done simply as a hobby and not as an investment.

Well over 90% of the worlds stamps are available at very low cost and often for free. The most enjoyable part is to buy a large selection of mixed stamps by weight and then spend several months sorting through them and saving all of the duplicates to trade with other collectors.

As a person gets involved they usually eventualy want an Album I have found the best and most reasonably priced ones to be albums by H.E. Harris and the ones by Minkus.

Some places you can get some good guidelines are at the library. In the reference section look for the Scott catalogs.

You may be able to find a copy of Linns Stamp News at a newstand. That is always interesting. Also Minkus puts out a good monthly magazine.

An album is not essential. Many people keep their collection in envelopes and shoe boxes.

Here are a few links for people interested in either expanding their collection or in starting one.

The APS only advanced collectors need to think of joining it. But they are always helpful even for non-members.

http://www.stamps.org/

A very helpful site for beginners and even a good resource for advanced collectors. Not of any use for Dealers or for people that are wanting it to be an investment or business. But, an outstanding site for people that want to try it as an enjoyable hobby.

http://members.aol.com/shobansen/

One of the better known stamp clubs. Good source for info

http://www.askphil.org/

the next few links are companies I have dealt with and have been very Pleased with.

http://www.mysticstamp.com/

http://www.whitmanbooks.com/default....0&SubCatOID=24

This nest one was started by people that lived not far from me when I was a kid in Connecticut.

http://www.littletoncoin.com/html/Who_we_are.htm

this next company is located in Littleton Colorado, it is often mistaken for the above company. It is an honest reliable company also.

http://www.arapahoecoin-stamp.com/

you will find those companies in many magazine ads. I just listed those above because I know they are established and I have personaly done gbusiness with them and was satisfied.

Here is an online link to Linn's Stamp News and the free price is my favorite price. It is an excellent weekly online newpaper about world stamps.

http://www.linns.com/default.asp

Eric H
03-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Greetings and peace Woodrow and as you describe stamp collecting can be addictive for all kinds of reasons, and I am sorry for getting side tracked earlier..

As a teenager I used to go round some of the shops and offices were I lived asking for stamps with a friend; we asked if we could call back each week and they were very obliging. We used to get fairly large numbers from a couple of places, one of them was an import and export company and there were stamps from around the world.

The chances are that you may have relatives who have collected stamps in their youth and have a collection stashed away in the attic, I found that one of them just gave me his collection as he had lost interest in them.

When I left school I no longer had an interest in stamps and my collection ended up in the attic collecting dust for thirty years or so. Recently I gave them all away.

Eric

syilla
03-19-2007, 01:52 AM
Here are some 2006 malaysia stamps

Wild duck species

Rare fruits

Artocarpus sericicarpus

Garcinia hombroniana

Phyllanthus acidus

Semi aquatic animals

north_malaysian
03-19-2007, 02:44 AM
Last weekend is a very busy weekend for me to scan some of my favourite stamps.... gimme some more days please..... :D

north_malaysian
03-19-2007, 02:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It is odd to look at a small bit of paper and then realize that it has traveled many thousand of miles. Who sent it to who, what tales could it tell if it could talk.
That's why I do appreciate every single stamp...

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
You soon discover that you need to develop a rudimentary education in Languages just to identify what country it is from.
I've learnt alot from stamps...

HELVETIA = Switzerland
HELLAS = Greece
NIPPON = Japan
PILIPINAS = The Philippines
AZERBAYCAN = Azerbaijan
TURKIYE CUMHURIYETI = Turkey
LIBAN = Lebanon
ESPANA = Spain
SUOMI = Finland
DANMARK = Denmark
SVERIGE = Sweden
NORGE = Norway
EIRE = Ireland

and also former name of a country

MALAYA = Malaysia
BECHUANALAND = Botswana
RHODESIA = Zambia
SOUTH RHODESIA = Zimbabwe
NYASALAND = Malawi
NEDERLANDS INDIE = Indonesia
TANGANYIKA = Tanzania
CEYLON = Sri Lanka

north_malaysian
03-19-2007, 03:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asyur an-Nagi
what a childish stuff:giggling: (just kidding)
Actually, stamps collecting is known as "Hobby for the Kings". The Patron of Malaysian Philatelic Society is the YDPA (King) of the Federation of Malaysia.

Woodrow
03-19-2007, 03:30 AM

The important thing to remember about stamp collecting is to keep it as a hobby. It is a very enjoyable and educational hobby and can be a wonderful gift to pass down to your grandchildren. There is nothing like the looks on a child's face when you give him/her a stamp that is over 100 years old or even a new one from a far off country in an unknown language.

Eric H
03-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Greetings Muezzin;

I have been thinking about the dust jokes and I think I may have been a bit uncaring, I am sorry.

Blessings and peace be with you

Eric

Muezzin
03-20-2007, 09:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings Muezzin;

I have been thinking about the dust jokes and I think I may have been a bit uncaring, I am sorry.

Blessings and peace be with you

Eric
Hi Eric,

That's okay, I didn't think you were uncaring. I thought it was quite funny. I liked the vacuum cleaner crack. :)

Abdul-Raouf
01-07-2008, 02:12 AM
anyone else there with this hobby?

wilberhum
01-07-2008, 02:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
anyone else there with this hobby?
My wife is. If fact she has a lot of Indian stamps. I'm sure she would be interested.

north_malaysian
01-07-2008, 10:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
My wife is. If fact she has a lot of Indian stamps. I'm sure she would be interested.
Indian stamps... great! Maybe you should show some here...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.