/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Great Global Warming Swindle.

Idris
03-16-2007, 06:03 PM
http://www.channel4.com/science/micr...p=docpage_box2

Make Sure you see the website.

Are you green? How many flights have you taken in the last year? Feeling guilty about all those unnecessary car journeys? Well, maybe there's no need to feel bad.

According to a group of scientists brought together by documentary-maker Martin Durkin, if the planet is heating up, it isn't your fault and there's nothing you can do about it.

We've almost begun to take it for granted that climate change is a man-made phenomenon. But just as the environmental lobby think they've got our attention, a group of naysayers have emerged to slay the whole premise of global warming.
The film brings together the arguments of leading scientists who disagree with the prevailing consensus that carbon dioxide released by human industrial activity is the cause of rising global temperatures today.

That Earth's climate is changing and always has done is not disputed by anyone. That it is warming now is also not disputed by anyone. But some people think that the warming is our fault, whilst others believe we have nothing to do with it.

The film argues that rises in atmospheric carbon dioxide have nothing to do with climate change. Further, the present single-minded focus on reducing carbon emissions may have the unintended consequence of stifling development in the third world, prolonging endemic poverty and disease.

Channel 4, Thursday 8 March, 9pm
This show is a bit old but I can't help but think about it:D

Everyone is going green even the US :rollseyes I can't help but think what's the big joke?
Your views plz:thumbs_up

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ManchesterFolk
03-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Global Warming is directly due to the human race, and claims that say it is not our doing are claims of trying to remove guilt.

wilberhum
03-17-2007, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
Global Warming is directly due to the human race, and claims that say it is not our doing are claims of trying to remove guilt.
There will always be those that will not accept even the obvious.

Idris
03-18-2007, 11:38 AM
wow it's so easy to say nowdays and get way with it. This Global warming thing is just a nice way for some persons to make money.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
KAding
03-18-2007, 12:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
There will always be those that will not accept even the obvious.
It really isn't obvious at all. Just because there is somewhat of a media hype going on does not mean that it is 'obvious'. The matter is very complex.

I happen to agree that there probably is a link between human activity and global warming, but 'obvious' really isn't the proper word.

KAding
03-18-2007, 12:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Idris
wow it's so easy to say nowdays and get way with it. This Global warming thing is just a nice way for some persons to make money.
Who is making money out of it exactly?

Muezzin
03-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Hmm... I agree that global warming can be used as a smokescreen to distract from other pressing matters, but I disagree that humans do not contribute to the phenomenon. I'm sure the climate has been steadily changing, but surely human pollution has accelerated the process somewhat?

format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Who is making money out of it exactly?
Smurfs.

Keltoi
03-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Global warming is a theory. What is obvious is that ocean temperature has risen by a certain small percentage of a point. That is serious stuff, but I'm not totally convinced human activity is the primary cause for this. Regardless, humans need to be more mindful of the chemicals they release into the atmosphere.

'Abd al-Baari
03-18-2007, 03:13 PM
I read that global warming has been happening since before man came to Earth, but the human race has made it a lot worse by emitting dangerous gases into the atmosphere

Allah knows best

Salah-Ad-Din
03-18-2007, 10:45 PM
This Universe, this globe, our world.... our planet - have been created with its end date known to the master of all intelligence and master of the world...take for example a baby coming to this world...right at birth we all know that he/she will end ( die ) sometime during the coming century, but we don't know exactly when this will occur !!! same apply for the earth we live in ....theoretically earth has been predicted to act as such,... i.e as the world's population increases exponentially, the earth's future will gear towards its end ...and we humans do not have any right nor the power to act upon it!!And also whatever comes onto this world is not for ever ....every things that you see has a predetermined expiry date set for it already!

Muezzin
03-18-2007, 10:58 PM
Thing is, the Earth won't end, not really. Eventually, it'll become barren and (apparently) lifeless for a couple of million years, like it did in its early life (but simple life forms adapted and evolved over time). However, us humans depend on our environment, and if we cock it up, or if it changes independently to the extent that we can no longer adapt to it, we as humans will die out. The planet won't. I'm not sure how many people understand the distinction. I think it's a great way to get people to care about the environment - it really is for our own good.

ManchesterFolk
03-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Hmm... I agree that global warming can be used as a smokescreen to distract from other pressing matters
Other pressing matters? What the Iraq war is more important to you then the destruction of earth?

KAding
03-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Other pressing matters? What the Iraq war is more important to you then the destruction of earth?
Destruction of the earth? :?

ManchesterFolk
03-19-2007, 10:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Destruction of the earth? :?
I'm sorry, do you not know the crazy effects of global warming?

One study predicts 18 to 35 percent of a sample of 1,103 animal and plant species would be extinct by 2050, based on future climate projections.

Thomas, Chris D.; et al. (2004-01-08). "Extinction risk from climate change" (PDF). Nature 427: 145-138. DOI:10.1038/nature02121. Retrieved on 2007-03-18.

Muezzin
03-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Where did I mention the Iraq war? Where did I imply it? Please do not put words into my mouth. In fact, I had things like global poverty in mind seeing as that was what was mentioned in the original post. I think people should take care of the environment. I also think there is the distinct possiblity it could be used to distract from other important issues. Doesn't mean I think global warming is fake or something.

And the earth will not be 'destroyed', but we will. Extinction pertains to species, not to the planet itself. If you tell people 'hey, be eco-friendly or the planet will be destroyed', and they won't understand because it's too abstract. You tell them 'hey, be eco-friendly and it will be good for all of us, because we can avoid flooding and dying' and they become a bit more receptive.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-19-2007, 10:53 AM
we should all be farmers

Idris
03-19-2007, 12:49 PM

One study predicts 18 to 35 percent of a sample of 1,103 animal and plant species would be extinct by 2050, based on future climate projections.
They can't tell if it will rain in 3 day or 1 day but.. you think they can tell then in 40 something years.

For some people, the final nail in the coffin of human-produced greenhouse gas theories is the fact that carbon dioxide is produced in far larger quantities by many natural means: human emissions are miniscule in comparison. Volcanic emissions and carbon dioxide from animals, bacteria, decaying vegetation and the ocean outweigh our own production several times over.!!!

KAding
03-19-2007, 02:54 PM

Thomas, Chris D.; et al. (2004-01-08). "Extinction risk from climate change" (PDF). Nature 427: 145-138. DOI:10.1038/nature02121. Retrieved on 2007-03-18.
Two points. Firstly, that does not equate "destruction of the earth". The planet has been around for a few billion years now and will continue to do so, even if there are 'only' 10 million species instead of 15 million. In fact, I would not be surprised if throughout history human kind didn't already eradicate a large portion of species on this planet. Would you describe the current state of the planet as 'destroyed' as well? Secondly, the planet has already gone through massive periods of global warming and global cooling already in its history. None of those events, which were considerably more dramatic than even the most dire predictions of global warming now, destroyed the earth. They might have destroyed a few species, but new also species developed. At worst, even the most dramatic climate fluctuations in the last few million of years only temporarily upset life on this planet. I am of the opinion that climate change is bound to be bad for some species and good for others. In general a warmer climate is not necessarily a bad thing for everyone. The most important question is how we, as a species, will like this new climate. Even there, effects are bound to be highly diverse, depending on your geographic location. Current research (based on unproven models!) shows that many of the effects will be negative. But IMHO other issues, like wars and poverty are much bigger problems for human kind at this time.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.