/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Little M0sque On The Prairie - RESEARCH

Leila_
03-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Assalamu Aleikum,

I'm conducting a research on a Canadian show "Little Mosque On The Prairie" that focuses on the Muslim population in the prairie town of Mercy (a fictional town). For those of you who are interested in watching the show, you can do so over here: http://www.alluc.org/alluc/tv-shows....egory_uid=4583 For those of you who are non-Muslim, you can leave your views on it as well, but I'm speficially looking at how the Muslim audience is viewing the show, and whether they think the themes on the show reflect the lives of the Muslims.

I came up with few questions that I have been asking around people, and I would love it if you could leave some of your opinions as well, since I will be looking for patters in all the answers. Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

Few questions (you don't have to asnwer them all, just pick the ones that you like):

1) What do you think of the show “Little Mosque on the Prairie”, is it a positive reflection of the lives that Muslims lead in Canada? If not, what themes of the show made you think otherwise?

2) Do you feel as though Muslims are justifying the religion to the west, which at this point is seemed as the “superior” civilization? (By justifying, I mean making it seem that Muslims live a normal life just like everybody else in Canada). Please explain.

3) Are there any themes on the show that you think actually reflect the Muslim way of life in a successful and genuine matter (dressing codes, the music that’s used, the way the characters interact and talk to each other, and etc).

4) Had the 9/11 events not had happened; would the show be as popular as it is now?

5) Why do you think the show was generating so much more buzz in the U.S. than in Canada?

Thanks again, everyone!
Jazakallahu Khairan!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Leila_
03-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Incase you were wondering, the research is for a "TV as culture and communication" class that I'm taking at York University, Toronto.

And don't worry, none of your names and nicknames will be used in the research

ABDUL HAQ
03-17-2007, 08:01 PM
1.not reflective,more caricatures and mocking
2please explain?what is normal:D

basically i thinkthe show mocks muslims,though muslims ourselves do behave very silly:-[

strider
03-17-2007, 09:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Leila_

1) What do you think of the show “Little Mosque on the Prairie”, is it a positive reflection of the lives that Muslims lead in Canada? If not, what themes of the show made you think otherwise?
Yes, i think it is. It portrays Muslims as human beings who face the usual challenges as every human being. For example, in episode 8 when Rayan faced herself in a situation with the fireman guy but then explained to him that Muslims aren't supposed to date etc- that reflects situations normal humans find themselves in every day of the week.

2) Do you feel as though Muslims are justifying the religion to the west, which at this point is seemed as the “superior” civilization? (By justifying, I mean making it seem that Muslims live a normal life just like everybody else in Canada). Please explain.
Yes. The only difference between a Muslim and a non-Muslim is their religious faith. Both face the same conflicts and if they really wanted to, can live in harmony with each other and in doing so, reflecting the peaceful and loving nature of Islam.

3) Are there any themes on the show that you think actually reflect the Muslim way of life in a successful and genuine matter (dressing codes, the music that’s used, the way the characters interact and talk to each other, and etc).
Yes, everything you just mnetioned.

4) Had the 9/11 events not had happened; would the show be as popular as it is now?
Probably not.

5) Why do you think the show was generating so much more buzz in the U.S. than in Canada?
9/11 occured closer to home for the Americans than the Canadians.

Thanks again, everyone!
Jazakallahu Khairan!
Good luck.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
hissa
03-17-2007, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Leila_
Incase you were wondering, the research is for a "TV as culture and communication" class that I'm taking at York University, Toronto.

And don't worry, none of your names and nicknames will be used in the research
Hey! Another Yorkie! I go to York too! lol

Leila_
03-18-2007, 08:58 PM
ABDUL HAQ, strider, hissa: thank you all for replying.
This thread can be locked. I've conducted all the interviews that I needed.

Thank you to strider for your input, I appreciate you taking the time to answer all the questions.

Hissa, hello to a fellow Yorkie! =)

JazakAllahu Khairan, everyone!

Ghira
04-16-2007, 08:09 PM
I think it is a funny show in the begining it was hilarious especially the pakistani old guy with the daughter...but now I don't know it is getting a little out of hand.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.