/* */

PDA

View Full Version : looking for the sisters advice - cooking

noahs_arc
03-18-2007, 11:53 AM
:sl:

ok so i cant cook. and first it was haa haa yeh i'll joke around so what if i can't cook blah blah blah but now im getting worried because i obviuosly want to cook its the learing part thats annoying.

and the mister likes meat-type dishes and i hate touching raw meat. its all pink and sqwishy. so any tips on how to learn to cook?

i know obviuos answer is my mum but we don't get on to well with cooking because it takes me a while to get the hang of it and she's a bit more move and let me do it.

well thats my pathetic secret. any advice? :w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
noodles
03-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Just jump in have a go at it.

The first thing I made was Kheema, and all I did was take the frozen thing out of the freezer, and let it defrost (as in put it in warm water) then I just put it in the pot and put lots of onion, once they were done, I threw in the kheema, pour some water till it cover the kheema to the top, then let it sit on the stove.

Let it sit for about 20-30 mins, then find alot of spices (I just took random spices) and throw them in. If it smells good, keep throwing. Then at the end just taste to make sure the meat is cooked.

Thats generally what I do for all 'meat-involved' recipes. I dont follow a guide. I just throw in a vegetable or two when its needed. It pretty much comes out wierd, but in the end it fills you up.

You get better as you practice.

Plus you've got someone to try them out on. If he doesnt like it, then threaten him and he'll pretty much learn to love it :)

Lina
03-18-2007, 10:11 PM

Best way to learn is to hang around your mum in the kitchen and take notes. I know how to cook and love to but if it wasen't for my mum telling me how to handle meat, I wouldn't know as much as I know now because those cooking shows don't show the messy part where you have to clean the chicken etc. and also chopping of the parts you won't be needing etc.

Question: If you haven't cooked any meat yet, how do you cope during Eid?

Tip: Hang around mum! Take notes, notes and notes.

noahs_arc
03-19-2007, 09:11 AM
i don't get that question about eid lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
bint-ul-islam
03-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Assalamoalikum ,
:) sis she is talking about Eid Ul Adha ....
one of the important role of a woman is to look after her home ...its mother duty to teach them before marrying.
but unfortunately if u don't know how to cook ...don't worry ....take the first step ...first learn to cook simple things ..and sis gave very good advice ...hang out with ur mum .....note every step...ask questions which u could not understand...
keep in mind may be at first u mom say u lazy , worst cook e.t.c but u will learn that way
p.s ...by the way where u from ...i may have any idea of ur cooking meat style

amirah_87
03-19-2007, 10:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lina

Best way to learn is to hang around your mum in the kitchen and take notes. I know how to cook and love to but if it wasen't for my mum telling me how to handle meat, I wouldn't know as much as I know now because those cooking shows don't show the messy part where you have to clean the chicken etc. and also chopping of the parts you won't be needing etc.

Question: If you haven't cooked any meat yet, how do you cope during Eid?

Tip: Hang around mum! Take notes, notes and notes.

I couldn't have said any better..

Lol @ being squirmish about handling meat!! :giggling: I was like that too in the beginning..

But now it doesn't bother me as much alhamdulillah, just give it some time sis.

I remember the first time I cooked a whole Lamb for some guests!! :phew
My Mum was pushin me to do it saying it's okkk I'll guide you through it! :exhausted
and I was like Nooooooo! :eek: How can I!!! it's a "Whole Lamb" Mum!!! :omg: :omg:

I'd never forget that day :exhausted I was soOO frantic, whizzing from the kicthen to the living room:
Errrm MUUM what do I do next!! :phew ... Errr can you have a look at it now! I think it's startin to burrrn :p

But at the end of the day I got through it alhamdulillah, It tasted great and it was just on time for the guests, I felt so proud of myself. :D

So I think the best way to do it is to just get stuck in and have someone there to guide you through it.

If not try buyin a Cook book and you'll learn from your mistakes as you go along InshaAllah! ;)

Hope all goes well.

Ps: There's nothing pathetic about not knowing how to cook sis! :)

SUMMAYAH
03-19-2007, 10:24 AM
salaams sis.

Getting ur mum to guide u is a good tip however be careful coz with me, I just ended up doing all the cleaning whilst it was my mum who was really cooking!:D (no wonder the dishes were so tasty!)

If u gonna let ur mum guide u make sure she stay's in the otha room like sis Amirah's mum...........

anyways keep trying and u will get the hang of it Inshallah..........

If not just stock ur freezer with frozen lasania's :D

IbnAbdulHakim
03-19-2007, 10:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by noahs_arc

ok so i cant cook. and first it was haa haa yeh i'll joke around so what if i can't cook blah blah blah but now im getting worried because i obviuosly want to cook its the learing part thats annoying.

and the mister likes meat-type dishes and i hate touching raw meat. its all pink and sqwishy. so any tips on how to learn to cook?

i know obviuos answer is my mum but we don't get on to well with cooking because it takes me a while to get the hang of it and she's a bit more move and let me do it.

well thats my pathetic secret. any advice? :w:
ARE YOU MY SISTER :? :? :? :? LOL :omg:

shes been having exactly the same problem ;D

but theres no mister !!!!!

also my mum tells me to just learn by watching, probably the boringest way to learn but hey i got there!

:salamext:

Snowflake
03-19-2007, 10:30 AM
^^Good advice sisters!

Also learn to get to know your food. For instance when making curry, make sure the onions have melted before adding the meat. There's nothing worse than solid bits of onion floating in a curry. Onions make the gravy so if they haven't melted, the sauce won't have a rich flavour and the gravy won't be thick.

Tomatoes add a tang to the dish. Garlic adds depth to the flavour as well as aroma.

Main spices are tumeric, chilli powder, curry powder, paprika, cumin seeds, stick of cinnamon, a few cloves and garam masala. To finish off the dish, coriander/cilantro and green chillies. It can't go wrong.

Red ones are optional. The rest are a must.

Tell us if you want step-by-step recipes and we'll post them inshaAllah. :)

tomtomsmom
03-19-2007, 01:18 PM
and let it defrost (as in put it in warm water)
Ermmmm sorry but DON"T DO THAT!!!!! It will help bacteria breed inside the meat and you can get very sick!!! It is best to let meat thaw overnight in the fridge but if you can't wait that long then fill your sink with COLD water. Every 30 minutes drain and refill.

As for not wanting to touch the meat that is real easy. Get some disposable gloves. That way you don't actually touch it:D .

There are some really good websites that have step-bystep instructions with pictures.

Start small. Learn the basics to cooking. After you have them then the harder things aren't really hard at all.

What exactly do you want to try and learn???

HIJABI***
03-19-2007, 01:18 PM
LOLZZ u know summat theres not many brothers i knw dat can cook!!!

Qurratul Ayn
03-19-2007, 01:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HIJABI***
LOLZZ u know summat theres not many brothers i knw dat can cook!!!
I know quite alot of Brothers and Uncles who cook and majority of them are chefs!!! My Older Brother cooks better than my Sister-in-law (so she says!!!):D

And learn to cook My Dear Sisters as you all Insha'Allah Ta'ala will be getting married soon or in a few years time!!! :cry: :D

:salamext:

Rabiyal
03-19-2007, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
Ermmmm sorry but DON"T DO THAT!!!!! It will help bacteria breed inside the meat and you can get very sick!!! It is best to let meat thaw overnight in the fridge but if you can't wait that long then fill your sink with COLD water. Every 30 minutes drain and refill.

As for not wanting to touch the meat that is real easy. Get some disposable gloves. That way you don't actually touch it:D .

There are some really good websites that have step-bystep instructions with pictures.

Start small. Learn the basics to cooking. After you have them then the harder things aren't really hard at all.

What exactly do you want to try and learn???
That's one thing I notice she was doing wrong too, never wash any meat in hot water, or let it sit in hot water. It's not goot for the meat and your health.

and
Also learn to get to know your food. For instance when making curry, make sure the onions have melted before adding the meat. There's nothing worse than solid bits of onion floating in a curry. Onions make the gravy so if they haven't melted the sauce won't have a rich flavour. And the gravy will be watery.
just take the onions out after they are a little brown put it in a blender, with one tomato or one table spoon of tomato puree and blend it, you have your gravy quick and easy, and while you are doing that put the meat in the same oil onions were brown in. and stir the meat now and then, add ginger/garlic paste (to make life easy) one or two tea spoons, and keep stiring meat so the smell of raw is gone and add your curry/gravy, and little bit of water, let it cook till you see little bit of red oil building on top of the curry and you are ready to eat....add veggies if you want and wait for it to cook.
Voila you are done babe......
if need more PM me, will give you little tips to make life easy...by the time you are done it shouldn't be more than an hour or less :)

S_87
03-19-2007, 02:09 PM

and dont give up if it turns out a flop sometimes. :D
and have a few things as a must have for meat so it dont taste raw.

*i myself havta go cook now*

Mawaddah
03-19-2007, 07:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87

I'd never forget that day :exhausted I was soOO frantic, whizzing from the kicthen to the living room:
Errrm MUUM what do I do next!! :phew ... Errr can you have a look at it now! I think it's startin to burrrn :p

But at the end of the day I got through it alhamdulillah, It tasted great and it was just on time for the guests, I felt so proud of myself. :D

Was it that time in Dammaj for Ya'qoubs Aqiqah Princess? :D

Yeah the food tasted great that day Masha'allah :D

But was it you who cooked?

And sis, Cooking is no big deal really, I mean, not everyone is born knowing how to cook, you just have to learn how to do it, just like everything else :)

Who knows, maybe you have a talent? :eek: it just needs to be discovered lol.

I learnt how to cook from my mom and started from when I was 7.....and now I can cook pretty okay alhamdulillah.

Or maybe you can just try to go by cookbooks, but sometimes it doesn't work out perfect the first time because there are lots of little tips to cooking which dont exactly come in cookbooks.

So the only way to really get good at it is to keep trying and trying really :)

And dont worry! you're not pathetic, everyone just has to start at sometime :)

noodles
03-20-2007, 12:33 AM
So umm washing the meat in hot water is bad?

But why would that matter? as you are going to cook the food anyway. right? (or am I missing something?):?

I would think that due to the amount of heat present in the pot, the bacteria would die. Wouldnt that be true? or are they capable of surviving in much worse conditions?

Ra`eesah
03-20-2007, 04:18 AM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Try these sites they are very helpful step by step and easy.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...in-ten-minutes

http://arabicslice.com/main.html

tomtomsmom
03-20-2007, 12:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noodles
So umm washing the meat in hot water is bad?

But why would that matter? as you are going to cook the food anyway. right? (or am I missing something?):?

I would think that due to the amount of heat present in the pot, the bacteria would die. Wouldnt that be true? or are they capable of surviving in much worse conditions?
You can wash meat in hot water you just can't thaw meat in hot water.

And yes, there are many bacteria that can survive the cooking process and make you really sick!!!! It is better to be safe then sorry:D

Mawaddah
03-20-2007, 12:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
You can wash meat in hot water you just can't thaw meat in hot water.

And yes, there are many bacteria that can survive the cooking process and make you really sick!!!! It is better to be safe then sorry:D
Oooh I didnt' know that :ooh:

But then, I never thaw my meat in hot water anyway :D

noodles
03-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Alrighty, I'll rep you once I turn into an adult on the forums :statisfie :statisfie

noahs_arc
03-20-2007, 04:42 PM
thanks for the advice. i have real problems with the meat curries and when you lift chapatis up lol. they go droopey. waslam

deen_2007
03-23-2007, 11:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noodles
Just jump in have a go at it.

The first thing I made was Kheema, and all I did was take the frozen thing out of the freezer, and let it defrost (as in put it in warm water) then I just put it in the pot and put lots of onion, once they were done, I threw in the kheema, pour some water till it cover the kheema to the top, then let it sit on the stove.

Let it sit for about 20-30 mins, then find alot of spices (I just took random spices) and throw them in. If it smells good, keep throwing. Then at the end just taste to make sure the meat is cooked.

Thats generally what I do for all 'meat-involved' recipes. I dont follow a guide. I just throw in a vegetable or two when its needed. It pretty much comes out wierd, but in the end it fills you up.

You get better as you practice.

Plus you've got someone to try them out on. If he doesnt like it, then threaten him and he'll pretty much learn to love it :)
OMG!! ur so funny...'if it smells good...keep on throwing'..??? ....if you do that...you might over season ur meat! :giggling:

and....'It pretty much comes out wierd, but in the end it fills you up.
' ....well obviously it'll turn out wierd !...if food dsnt look good ...then itl be hard to eat it. ;D

but hey...well done for trying! :thumbs_up ...and well done for showing the sister how to be brave :thumbs_up

noahs_arc
03-24-2007, 11:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ra`eesah
Assalamu'Alaykum

Try these sites they are very helpful step by step and easy.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...in-ten-minutes

http://arabicslice.com/main.html
those links were really helpfull thank you.

:w:

S_87
03-24-2007, 12:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by noahs_arc
thanks for the advice. i have real problems with the meat curries and when you lift chapatis up lol. they go droopey. waslam

you lift with your hand?
and do you let it slightly cook first before lifting? dont keep lifting, turning around 3-4 times sohuld be sufficient

amirah_87
03-24-2007, 01:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah

Was it that time in Dammaj for Ya'qoubs Aqiqah Princess? :D

Yeah the food tasted great that day Masha'allah :D

But was it you who cooked?
Wa alaykum as salaam,

Ya'qoub's Aqeeqah wasn't entirely me! :D Mum was cookin on that one and I was helpin out. :D

But the time I'm talkin about was.. d'you remember when we had my aunt come over from Britain! and she brought her two sons along? .. Uh-hunhh.... Yeaaah thaat time! :phew Lol..

.. Washing meat? Hmmm I know of people who don't wash their meat because they say it looses it flavour?
Anyone heard the same? :omg:

noodles
03-24-2007, 03:16 PM
^:? So what happens to all that blood and germs on the meat?

Do they call it flavouring? :)

S_87
03-24-2007, 08:45 PM

^^^ yes and yes the blood is supposed to be flavour like yuk

ummAbdillah
03-24-2007, 10:27 PM
salaam,
don't worry sis you're not alone, i can't cook too,,
am learning though

SirZubair
03-24-2007, 10:51 PM
I think i'll email this thread to my wife... LOL :D

deen_2007
03-24-2007, 11:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
I think i'll email this thread to my wife... LOL :D
aww thats sweet...but that won't make her a better chef actually. :D

we all need to post real ways of c@@king,so come on guys ...ask what exactly you want to try c@@king. & som1 can state it nicely & in full details how to c@@k it. i dnt mind, and im sure other c@@ks wnt here aswel. i love c@@king, and so i want to learn from others here too... this can be our own 'c@@king book'...:D

SirZubair
03-24-2007, 11:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by deen_2007
aww thats sweet...but that won't make her a better chef actually. :D
...i'll email her the link so she can come on here and teach ya'll how to cook :D

deen_2007
03-24-2007, 11:13 PM
...i'll email her the link so she can come on here and teach ya'll how to cook :D
yipeeeeeeee:D

SirZubair
03-24-2007, 11:24 PM
yipeeeeeeee:D
Well... to be honest, i've only eaten one thing that she has cooked..

They were the best i've ever eaten! I just popped it into my mouth and it melted away...Mmmmmmmmmmm...

deen_2007
03-24-2007, 11:25 PM
pakoraaaaaas!!! (they r arnt they? lol) i love them!!! hmm....gona make it tomorow....

SirZubair
03-24-2007, 11:30 PM
pakoraaaaaas!!! (they r arnt they? lol) i love them!!! hmm....gona make it tomorow....
You got it right ;D

She made those for me the first time i visited her house, when i went there with the marriage proposal.

I always tell her i am marrying her 'cos i want a lifetime supply of pakoras..lol.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-24-2007, 11:35 PM
You got it right ;D

She made those for me the first time i visited her house, when i went there with the marriage proposal.

I always tell her i am marrying her 'cos i want a lifetime supply of pakoras..lol.
lol mashaAllah :)

you sound like a funny couple :p

btw pakoras are delicious, had some today :)

deen_2007
03-24-2007, 11:36 PM
^^^^ lol....wel no wonder why thats the only thing you've tried that she's cooked. anyway, do tell us when she comes online...cnt wait to meet her. so we can get cooking tips

Helena
03-24-2007, 11:39 PM
mashAllah very sweet( no others wrd appeared in my head) couple....

pokora i started making in ramadan(last year) turned very good..alhamdulilah....

cooking is not a very difficult process..just to be aware wot, how(measurements) are used....so far i got a rough idea how to cook....just stand nxt to my mum and learn new recipes each day...

cooking is fun....mixing all the ingredients together to make a nice dish.....wot exactly to u need help in sis?....

SirZubair
03-25-2007, 01:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
you sound like a funny couple :p
We are a couple that don't know when to stop joking :D

^^^^ lol....wel no wonder why thats the only thing you've tried that she's cooked. anyway, do tell us when she comes online...cnt wait to meet her. so we can get cooking tips
Insha'allah, i'll let you know after July. She has to travel to an internet cafe to check my emails all the time at the moment. I'll introduce her to the world of foruming when she finally comes here to live with me.

noodles
03-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Its all about TRIAL AND ERROR ;D

Thats all I do and let my tongue and nose do the rest.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.