/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding wireless internet?

England
03-18-2007, 03:36 PM
How would I go about getting wireless internet on my laptop? I'm not talking about installing routers to your main computer but so that I could use the internet outside of my home otherwise I won't have internet connection for 6 months soon. I need the internet for important things such as looking for jobs, managing my bank accounts etc...

Can it be done? Or can it only be done if you have a telephone socket?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
03-18-2007, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
How would I go about getting wireless internet on my laptop? I'm not talking about installing routers to your main computer but so that I could use the internet outside of my home otherwise I won't have internet connection for 6 months soon. I need the internet for important things such as looking for jobs, managing my bank accounts etc...

Can it be done? Or can it only be done if you have a telephone socket?

It is very easily done with a lap top. You just need to get a USB wireless adapter (antenna) install the the soft ware that comes with it and the on the pc go to "My network places" and set up a new network port. All of the adapters usually come with full instructions.

When you are in an area that has a public wireless network, you will log in automaticaly to it. You will also pick up private networks, but those are password protected and you will not be able to access them without the pass word.

It is really much easier than what it sounds like. First step buy a USB wireless adapter (usually in the 20 to 30 dollar range) then follow the instructions that come with it.

England
03-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Cheers, appreciated. I'll check up on that, I'm going to need one.

anis_z24
03-18-2007, 07:52 PM
AA
careful though what network to connect to.
If you are noticed your notebook can be harmed.

McAfee would do the job(anti-spyware)
or something like that.
just keep your guard.
WA

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
England
03-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Ok then cheers, I'll put the mcafee on 1st. Would the services be as normal using the cards? Would I be able to use NTL or would it have special service providers for these cards...?

Woodrow
03-18-2007, 09:17 PM
If you are using the public wireless networks such as found in most libraries and at many schools you will not need a service provider. You will be logged on in their network. now for stuff like emails and such you can just open a free email account at places like MSN or Netzero etc.

If you already have a provider for your dersktop, simply just go to your account and log while you are online.

Woodrow
03-18-2007, 09:21 PM
If you are using it at home you can connect to any wireless that is within range provided it is a public net work or a secure one you have the password for. The range for most off them is less than a mile from the router.

England
03-18-2007, 09:44 PM
The problem is this house is soon going on sale and then before we move to Spain we will be living on a campsite for about 6 months before moving to accommodation then Spain. Crap I know but it'll be worth it. There won't be any public computers at these campsites I don't think. All I'll have is my laptop and a network card....

Well it's not definate I'll move but my parents definately are and the option is there. I just need time to think about this...

syilla
03-19-2007, 02:11 AM

u just need something like this.... :thumbs_up

WIFI USB ADAPTER

u don't have to buy a card :-)

syilla
03-19-2007, 02:34 AM

:thumbs_up :thumbs_up

u'll never know until u test it...and try it

tomtomsmom
03-19-2007, 01:23 PM
There is also the option of getting a wireless card. You can get these through telephone companies and cell phone providers. You hook the card into your laptop and have internet anywhere you get signal. You will however have to pay a monthly fee just like you would for a home based internet.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.